“Great for families” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Bintan Island

Save Saved
You added Club Med Bintan Island to your Saves list
Club Med Bintan Island
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Jl Site A11 | Lagoi, Bintan Utara, Riau Islands Province 12920, Indonesia   |
Special Offer
All-Inclusive Packages
Ranked #3 of 27 hotels in Bintan Island
Singapore, Singapore
“Great for families”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We have been to club med bintan twice. The beach is lovely and even though it was very busy the second time we were still able to do all the activities we wanted. My 14 year old loved the teen club and we barely saw him. My 8 year old refuses to do clubs but there was plenty for him to do outside of the clubs so he was happy. My daughter did kids club and loved it. Both boys loved the 5pm soccer game every day. The GOs are fantastic - special mention to Suna, Ibrahim and Ara for the soccer, Niko for the bar and Jemmi for the much under utilized power walking. The food was is good but the second time, perhaps because there were more people, we felt the standard had slipped a bit. Overall a great time was had by all.

1,364 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

First of all, it's a rather run-down property - so be warned. It's not 5 star or even 4, maybe 3 and especially if you've chosen the superior option, you may be dismayed (as I was) to find the room bare, faraway, back of the block with totally no view but you may be happy to find out that there's a promotional upgrade to Deluxe rooms with a 20% discount. But anyway, one does not come to Club Med for the rooms. One comes to Club Med for the activities, the fun, the people. Don't stay in the room unless it's raining and storming and you have no choice.

Oh and one more point. The bed is uncomfortable but thankfully you would be so tired out every night you'll have no problems sleeping.

The People make all the difference between a wash-out holiday and a fantastic one. On Day 1, a waiter spilled food on a favourite travel tote and left stains which could not be removed. Leo, our GO, was very helpful and tried to look for a dry cleaner somewhere on the island to try and get the stains removed. The front desk manager also attempted to contact the other hotels to see if they could help but this is Bintan after all, so nope nothing could be done for my bag. What they did instead was to offer to pick up the cleaning bill when I get it done in Singapore. I was impressed with their sincerity and that effort to go the extra mile.

My kids loved Mini Club and could not get enough of it and I can see why. The GOs at Mini Club (Vivi, Sun, Rendi, Yuki, Otto) were all such wonderful people who took great care of the children. My younger daughter (3 yrs) who did not qualify for Mini Club but wanted to tag along with the older girl was able to. Club Med has a list of inhouse baby sitters you could hire for SGD5 per hour and that helped us get some time away to join in the activities we the adults wanted. Look for Yeni. She's good and patient and my daughter took to her.

But I think the information flow could be better managed at Club Med. There were activities round the clock and we were given only a general hardcopy of the activities while the daily updates were posted on the walls. Again, hard copy. What Club Med can do is perhaps push info out to the guests via an App or say let us sync our smart devices with the daily updates. We had to resort to taking photos of the activity sheet with our iPhones because we had to remember the adult activity schedule and the Mini Club's schedule. Imagine you had a kid each in Petit Club, Mini Club and Teens Club!

There was also conflicting information on how old a child needed to be to get on the Trapeze and try out Archery. Some GOs said 5-8 years old for Archery, others said 4-12 years or 5-8 for Trapeze. It was only when we talked to the Mini Club folks that they explained insurance did not cover children under 4 for Trapeze that we understood.

Food. Honestly, I read all the bad reviews about food on Tripadvisor and to my surprise (maybe I was already prepped for bad food!?), the buffet is actually not bad at all. It's not the average buffet fare you may find at the other hotels. Here the chef tries to vary the menus and they also plate the food nicely for you. Always go with what the GOs recommend like Saturdays Korean Ramen is good and Wednesdays Korean Kim Chi stew. The GOs have eaten there week after week so they know what they don't want to miss.

Personally, I enjoyed the yoga classes, water aerobics and archery lessons. My husband was happy with sailing the hobby and we did some kayaking. Having a private beach is nice too and the waters being quite shallow allowed the children to play on the beach safely.

It was hard getting back to reality and missing my daily Mojitos-on-demand. haha but well, that makes us want to go back and try another Club Med holiday! Hope this was useful.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great setting, however an effort to get there given you have to fly into Singapore and then do customs all over again to get into Indonesia. Staff are generally v good, however the local staff do have a tendency to say "no" when they don't understand a question - they need to learn to say "i don't know however will find someone who does". Rooms are being refurbised - the newer ones are 4 star, the older are 2 star and very poor (beware). Food is great. Ria Bintan golf course is amazing. Great for kids, no doubt about it

Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

we are just back from one week in CLUB MED Bintan and we are extremely satisfied about our holiday there.
The village is extremely good ,the personnel very kind and the GOs extremly active.
for the sports actvities ,special mention for Mr. Leo the tennis teacher and for the whole "circus" team:very professional in what they do and very nice human beings ,too.
The Mini club ,lead by Mr. Otto from Thailand is very good :you can see what kind of passion he puts in organizing the kid's shows.Great guy.
For the "show" time they have a real talent in the person of Mr. Marco Chen from Taiwan :amazing and extremely funny character.

Only a minor negative remarks : they have to fix the mountain bikes which need serious maintenance.

Shanghai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Ideal location for a family with kids who love to explore new sports every day! The last day our kids concluded that they had done 17 sport during 7 days. Rooms were very basic, food was excellent but cantine was very noisy- too many people at the same place. I would highly recommend families with children in the age group 6-12 to go here. For couples I would reccomend you to go to a more laid back place

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Just got back from the best vacation ever

I would especially like to thanks to The village chief, Michael and his excellent team Ibrahim, Jo Jo , Amy and everyone in petit club and the resort- you guys are incredible
Everyone’s really dedicated warm, welcoming and compassionate. Whatever you wished or asked for, the GO’s & G.E’s team is willing to go the distance to make sure we were completely satisfied.

We got our first room far away from the pools and after some concerns we were immediately offered some alternative free upgrade, any other requests were answered immediately.

The beach and swimming pools is well maintained and very clean, Food and drinks was so amazing with great selection and the quality was faultless, entertainment was good and I want to compliment all the participants for their hard work and all the efforts they made. We cannot say enough about this location as the vibe is marvellous that make the overall experience so memorable. I didn’t mind the music by the pools as we have a 2yrs toddler who sleep at 8ish, so me and my husband just seat outside the balcony listen to the live music which is great

This is a great place for couples, families, and groups. It is clean, super friendly team , and has great service. As it was our first Club Med experience, it was pleasant and we definitely return. Thank you for the wonderful experience and we are already talking about planning another trip

Thank you sooo much as you have made our holiday most memorable.

P/S: First room given to us certainly can do better with some refurbishing

Tips for parents: You can book the Petit Club on arrival, this give you more flexibility to choose the date you prefer instead of the entire stayed

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Three of us booked a triple sharing room at Club Med Bintan for the Good Friday weekend and we had a great time! There were lots of activities to choose from, but so little time, we wished we could have stayed longer!

I wish the service could be improved though. We arrived at the resort on Friday and were told that we could only check in at 2pm. Subsequently, when we checked in at 2pm, there wasnt anyone to guide us to our room. We took quite a while to find our room in block U, which was quite a distance away from the reception. On Saturday I got up early to book a sailing lesson slot. I arrived at the hut about 845am, but seeing that the GOs were busy, I waited around. When one of them came back to the hut at 855am, I asked if I could sign up and was told I could only do so at 9am. Subsequently, a few other people came along. We were all at the counter but somehow even though I arrived first, I was served last. Luckily I managed to get the slot I want, else it would have ruined my mood for the day. It was, after all, quite hard to book a slot for sailing as there were only 2 boats available.

Other than that, we pretty much enjoyed the activities at the resort. :) And oh, my 2 friends were mortified to find cockroaches crawling out from the yoga mats, perhaps the mats could do with some cleaning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Club Med Bintan Island? Share your experiences!