“Memorable Holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Bintan Island

Save Saved
You added Club Med Bintan Island to your Saves list
Club Med Bintan Island
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Jl Site A11 | Lagoi, Bintan Utara, Riau Islands Province 12920, Indonesia   |
Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Bintan Island
Singapore, Singapore
“Memorable Holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Other that the GO's service standard not up to expectation as they can be selective towards certain guests, but i would say the overall experience was a memorable one.

$$- Definitely value for money as this can be a truly what you have paid upfront will be the final cost as long you stay within the resort for the entertainment, food and participant all their activities. All this were included in the cost.

Room- Was given a Deluxe Ocean view room which was very spacious for my wife and kid. The ambience was excellent. Room was clean and neat and felt very welcoming. Bed was comfortable and we had all 5days of undisturbed sleep. Toilets is tastefully done up and have this luxury feelings.

Cleanliness- Resort was clean and you can see staffs frequently keeping the resort clean.

Location- For clubmed, its always the exclusive and privacy the pro in our consideration. Location was away from the buzz but yet near to the ferry terminal or the nearest Pasar Oleh Oleh which both 15mins ride away.

Kids activities- Another consideration as they have kids activities to keep my kid busy and interacting with other kids. During this time, i can have the couple time with my wife for all the romantic activities.

Food- excellent choice of food but the taste was of average. For those who want some privacy and excellent ambience, do book the 'The Terrance' during breakfast. The restaurant is away located from the main buzz. Open dinning concept great for dating couples for a romantic time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We spent the holiday here during the monsoon season, some of the water sports were closed. Overall, the weather was nice. Staffs are very friendly, they always talk to you and you will never feel bored. House keeping is not up to standard.

• Stayed March 2013
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had the most awesome stay! We stayed for 10 days at the end of February, with my husband and our 11.5month baby. We only really had one day when it rained (it is monsoon season) yet we still got to swim and do activities every day we were there.

I admit I had many reservations from reading reviews on here about the cleanliness of the rooms, the food quality and bringing a baby, but we did not encounter any of those during our stay.

I have so much to say so I have broken it into sections as you should read this if you have read any of the terrible reviews. And this was all the kind of info I was hoping to find out before I went.

Customer Service
Firstly the customer service is incredible, everyone makes you feel so welcome, there is a huge welcome group when you arrive and also when you leave. There was not one staff member that did not greet us with a smile passing by, even if you only passed them 5 minutes ago. Anything we needed the request was fulfilled with a smile. Mike the resorts manager does a fantastic job and has an awesome team under his wing. He always made the time to stop and say hello and a chat to us and everyone he passed by. It was also nice to see he was a fellow Australian ;) Every time we passed reception we were greeted with hello's and waves to our baby (who was very popular amongst everyone in the village during our stay) majority of the staff who had met us and our baby remembered her name every time. There is always a huge welcome and goodbye at meal times. The two restaurant managers were amazing Widodo and the other (I cannot remember his name right now) were so welcoming. So were all of the wait staff. Our baby would sometimes get a bit restless during eating time, the staff always made her and us feel comfortable (and anyone else with babies and children) constantly picking up after her if she dropped a spoon, amusing her and making us feel comfortable. Again majority of the wait staff knew our babies name and would make sure they came to say hello during meal times. Our baby became very attached to Gisella and Irida. I wish I could remember everyones name but also Fernadis and Georgis were also so very good around our baby. Which leads me into Food.

Mike let us know if we needed any special puree's made for our baby to let him know, and during the first week of our stay our baby was being very fussy, and we did need some puree made. The ever so friendly Sous chef Rudy made our little one special purees to our request and had them waiting for us at meal time over a number of days, no fuss by him at all, even after we didn't need them anymore he would always offer to cook one up and to let him know if we needed anything, as well as the Executive Chef Simon who would also offer to cook up a meal for her, or chop food up for her - as though these men are not busy enough, they always had time to offer their skills and see how our baby was eating. The food was also very good. There is something for everyone, it is never boring and there is a huge variety with a different theme each night. The food conscious can dine from the meals put together that state their nutritional value. Those who have complained about no seafood, must have only been there for a day or so, and we dined on seafood plenty of times. I loved the sushi station, being able to get freshly made sushi was great! The package includes a full buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner and in between those times, the terrace restaurant is open for a late breakfast and then a snacking menu (which also includes main meals made to order) and various snack stations pop up around the village during the day, you will no go hungry. And if you need to eat in your room or on the beach etc (as we did one night as our baby went to bed early, you can choose your food from the buffet and the staff will pack it all up in containers for you). My only suggestion would be that if you do have a baby that is beyond puree but not completely all over family foods, maybe bring a few foods from home, as the baby corner only has Heinz baby puree jars (a few different varieties each day) and yoghurt. We were lucky we brought some kids weetbix with us to mix with some fruit puree and the fantastic assistance of Rudy so we could get some meat and veggies into her during that fussy period. I also brought my own bottle brush to clean bottles in my room and house keeping assisted me with dishwashing liquid. There is also a sterilizer in the main restaurant and in your room - along with a bottle warmer (if you request it).

Room
We stayed in a superior sea view in block S which was perfect, it was not too far from the main block, pool , sport centre, most activities. We were on the second floor, and we just carried the baby and the stroller up and down the stairs when needed and used the lift around the main block. You can get rooms on ground floor, but if you want a sea view I don't think there are any. we tried to book a deluxe upon arrival but one wasn't available during our stay, but the superior was very spacious, more than enough room for our baby to walk and crawl around, and the corridor was long enough that we could put the baby cot down there when she slept, as us not to disturb her. The baby cot was standard as most resorts, a travel cot - luck of the draw I guess of size and quality. It suited us fine - was sturdy and clean and good size for her to play in when we both needed to be doing something, we brought our own fitted cot sheet and mattress protector any ways.

The room is basic, just standard tropical resort style (as you see in the pics), not luxurious, but clean, and really spacious with plenty of light and a balcony with table and chairs, bed is big, TV is small, but you don't spend much time in your room, and the usual bar fridge, kettle, safe, air con, ceiling fan. Bathroom is good size - separate toilet which was good. Yes sometimes you can slightly smell the sewerage through the drain - but you get that at many tropical island resorts no matter the star (we've had it at many 5 star + resorts) - room gets cleaned and made up everyday and we know that it also got mopped each time as a few times we had come back to the room while it was being done.

Activities
So great to have so many activities at your doorstep. I did the yoga class everyday in the morning (one day I did the pilates) yoga classes are in the spa area which was such a delight - its in an open room, with the ocean on one side and the jungle on the other, so nice whether its sunny or in rain. The classes are instructed by Eric (from Canada) or Steph (from Australia) both do a different class and I really enjoyed both. Any level can do the yoga or pilates class, Eric was very good, with correcting your poses and giving tips on how to do them correctly. They also do a zen yoga class outside by the beach in the early evening. My husband used the fitness centre each day to do weight training and cardio. This is where tennis, squash, basketball (and pilates, aerobics are too) and archery.

We did archery twice, I have forgotten the GO's name who runs it down there, he is balinese and is so thorough with instructions and very friendly and we were amazed at how many languages he could speak. He does his job very well!

I did the flying trapeze, these guys were awesome, make you feel at ease and safe. We first met J.P with Steph at dinner one night, and then Ashley and Tarik at lunch another time. The team that runs the circus school are brilliant , also including Mira, Luis and another Japanese GO who is a gymnast (again I'm sorry Ive forgotten names) but she also gave me great tips and made me feel confident to go twice. Big shout out to her, J.P and Ashley when I did mine. You must do it, Im afraid of heights and ended up going twice.

Facilities
Everything you need is here, the pool is very large and divided into 2 via wet edge. We were there during the CNY crowd and after, and we never had to fight for a chair at the pool or beach. There are more shallow areas for the kids, we had our little one in the main pool with us and she loved it.

There are 3 bars around the village, we don't drink much so only had a few cocktails. The service is fantastic, but the cocktail menu could improve and maybe also the coffee making (but I think it is just done via machine). Sometimes in the afternoons, we would go to the panorama bar or the terrace restaurant for a coffee, or a drink.

There is a laundry, with washing machines and dryers and irons. It can get a bit pricey depending how long you need to use the machines, you need to purchase tokens from reception, and you can purchase detergent from the boutique.

I was happy to see that there were baby change rooms on each floor wherever there was a toilet, which was great!

There was no baby med, but we wouldn't have used it any ways. But we could see the other kids clubs going about in the village and all kids seemed very happy and always doing something and the GO's running them were always super friendly.

We also took our own stroller and didn't use the resorts it seemed as though many other families did the same. It was nice to stroll around the resort in the afternoons along the many paths when my baby had her afternoon nap.

Wi Fi is available in your rooms and throughout the resort which was fantastic.

I had read reviews upon arrival that the resort is run down. To me, it may need some repairs but nothing horrible or shabby. The resort is comfortable and clean, we have stayed at many 5 star resorts in south east asia and this resort suited us just fine and it is true to its 4 fork club med rating. The beach is gorgeous and it was never over crowded by guests and was so nice to a private beach to the village only.

Overall we love it here and it would suit a family perfectly! You have the choice to do everything available on offer or keep to yourselves and do nothing at all. It was also great to have anything already paid for and looked after, so all we had to worry about was whether we were going to swim in the pool or lay by the beach.Our next holiday will definitely be back to Club Med Bintan or another in a tropical location.

Hope this review helped :)

Room Tip: Our room was in the S block on the 2nd floor with a seaview. It was never too loud and it was close...
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We spent a fantastic week to Club Med Bintan, everything was perfect !
What we loved most:
The Spa : the most peaceful and beautiful place to be ! An amazing experience you should try, the staff is really kind, therapists are really professional.
The Bintan golf club : Just Whaou !!! We went there with Wayan, one of the amazing teacher we have ever met ! Thank you for your advices (I won't forget the Balinese eyes and your morning song : Bouges pas la tête !
We also liked the friendly and helpful staff, many many thanks to all of you, from the reception to the petit/mini club, restaurants, bars and sport activities...you are all great, keep this energy, don't change anything !
The shows were really good, we have lots of fun specially with the comedies.
A special thank to Cédric and Satisha (Arthur still asking for you !!!)! Hope to meet you again !
Evelyn and Stephane from London, UK.

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

First family stay for us at Club Med Bintan and everything came above everyone's expectations! The GO team was great, always wanting to help and provide great service. A very big applause for the circus team, Tarik, Ashley, Luis and Mira who provided such great shows for us, you guys are really great! Very efficient team also at the Mini Club for the kids who had the chance to experiment so many activities (golf, cooking, circus, pool, yoga...), thank you Sally and Stephanie the kids keep talking about you! Thank you also and congratulations to Ren for the Teens Club because you really were amazing to motivate the teens for all kind of activities and even the fashion show for the boys!! Last but not least, thank you to the sports team leaded by Rob, nice yoga and pilates sessions by Eric and Steph (very nice you both, and thank you Steph for your kind dancing with the little girls at night they LOVE you) and all the activities during the day and night for the teens too!
We (our family and our group of friends) did not expect to have so much fun during the night shows, we laughed a lot, you can feel all the GO get along well and they have fun doing it too so it's really nice to watch! Well done to you all and to the Chef de Village. We'll definitely come back to one of the resorts...

Room Tip: You should ask to get a room with a sea view which are nicer, some buildings are being renovated so...
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This is our 2nd trip in less than 1 year. 4 days 3 nights. 28th Feb - 4th Mar. Great weather this time of the year. Chinese New Year just passed, so it was not too crowded. This club is perfect for family holiday. Some families we met are staying for 10 days or more.

We like to thank the following individuals who made a lasting impression.

Satish - asst bar manager. Always smiling, great hospitality. My son loves the milkshakes you. make for him. You are an asset to ClubMed.
Deena - Excellent mohito. Keep it up girl.
Pascal - Great Obama impression. Friendly and accommodating. You have my vote mate...
Executive Chef : Simon - Food is excellent. The variety and quality is 5-stars..

Only setback was that we were told that late checkout will be charged by the hour. Our ferry was 4pm and we wanted to check out a little later (1pm at most 5 star hotels) but our request was rejected. The hotel occupancy was only about 25% and not expecting to surge anytime soon.

Andy, Ivy and Dylan.

Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Just returned from 1 week there with wife and two young daughters. We also spent 2 weeks there in January and, would you believe, won three free nights in a prize draw. So it was a great excuse for a second holiday.

So what's it like? Well I have to be honest and say I'm not a natural when it comes to Club Med, although we have also been to Bali and Phuket. But with two little girls, life is not about me anymore anyhow. In this regard, as a vicarious experience, this place is difficult to fault and I would not say that about the other two resorts we've been to.

Of particular note are:

1. Quality of management. The general manager Mike is a relatively young guy but clearly has the experience and personality to pull off the role effortlessly. We were particularly struck by his humility in that he would stop to shake hands and chat with the most junior personnel. It was a little disappointing however that he seemed to credit primarily other managers when he had the mic in the evening ie missing an opportunity to express wider appreciation eg it was odd that after the Thursday evening cabaret (a beautiful traditional dance and circus) he credited the choreographer only, and did not mention the very talented lass from the boutique, Syera,, who led the routine. Good to see Eric the yoga master and Buddy the guitar guy getting plenty of credit this time.

2. Food. By Club Med standards this was very good indeed. The section allowing youmake yoke your own fresh salad was a great touch. There are always iffy dishes on offer but these are easy to spot. The food presented was almost entirely appetizing. No cockroaches too, unlike Phuket.

3. Golf dinner. I have no interest in golf whatsoever, which is a sham because Bintan clearly has one of the best golf courses in the world. Nevertheless we attended the so called Golf Dinner which was a plush dinner at the main driving range and it was a great evening topped off by a round of trick shots from the instructors (including Mike himself, who was an instructor in a former life, and clearly a good golfer).

4. Housekeeping. All very discreet but complete efficient and left rooms and public spaces spotless. We particularly enjoyed the clever artistic shaping of towels.

5. Security. The resort is very secluded and our 6 year old could happily wander around on her own.

6. Beach. Set in a stunning bay with plenty of white. We did spot a few oil spots though which was a shame. Swimming was also generally discouraged on account of the current, although several people just swam anyway and ignored the red and black flags.

7. Mini Club. These are always good I guess but this one seemed particularly well run with a packed program of interesting events. Otto deserves credit for his tireless, creative and enthusiastic entertaining of the kids. It's obvious that he genuinely enjoys his job.

Points to note:

1. Location. It's tens of kilometers from anywhere. Much more secluded that Bali for example which is also set back in a private resort. A 25 dollar taxi ride will just about get you to a bunch of shacks selling odds and ends and cheap manicures. So don't go hear if you need to regularly escape the Club Med thing.

2. Weather. Can be wet particularly around christmas and the first three months of the year.

3. Karaoke. The tracks and sound are rubbish, which is a shame given that so many guests were clearly up for this.

4. Spa. As usual with Club Med, this seems vastly over priced but they've got you kidnapped in Bintan so if you can't vacation without a rub down, expect to pay top dollar - much more than you would ever dream of paying on the regular Asian market. You do get the feeling that so many more people would use these facilities if they just brought their pricing back down to earth.

5. Comedy. Some of the cabaret features slapstick humour that may be popular with certain audiences (dragging people out of the crowd for light humiliation, lots of guys dressed as ladies etc) but it made us long for something more intelligent, just occasionally to break things up. It's interesting that Club Med regularly features brilliant performers (see eg Eric, Syera above) but there is no stand up in the conventional sense. Maybe this is too hard to pull off with such eclectic audiences.

Keep up the good work.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Club Med Bintan Island? Share your experiences!