“Relaxing Holiday @ Club Med Bintan” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Bintan Island

Save Saved
You added Club Med Bintan Island to your Saves list
Club Med Bintan Island
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Jl Site A11 | Lagoi, Bintan Utara, Riau Islands Province 12920, Indonesia   |
Special Offer
All-Inclusive Packages
Ranked #3 of 27 hotels in Bintan Island
Singapore
“Relaxing Holiday @ Club Med Bintan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I should have posted my review earlier.

My girlfriend and I visited to Club Med Bintan during Christmas in 2012. It's our first Club Med trip and we really enjoyed the stay.

The food at Club Med Bintan is nice, especially the Christmas Eve dinner! There is a lot of choices at the buffet restaurant (Waterfall).

Activities are included in our package. I did try and enjoy them even thought I am not a sports person.

GOs there are friendly and talented. At night, GOs gave us some awesome shows. A Chinese GO with a lovely smile, Helen, joined us for dinner. My girlfriend and I did enjoy chatting with her. We can feel the passion they have towards to their job. Thanks to Helen! thanks to the CDV (general manager) Mike! and thanks to all the GOs who make our holiday so much fun!!

It's one of the best holiday I had! Definitely we will go back to Club Med again this year.

Cheers

W.H.Y.

Room Tip: Deluxe Rooms are nearer to the main restaurant. Recommended..
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

1,362 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Great for family and brief gateaway!! The GOs were excellent and passionate in their jobs! Special thanks to Pascal for his great patience and fun activities, also to Rob for the great effort and funfilled & Exciting activities & events all day & nights......

Room Tip: near the beach
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Subang Jaya, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Had a blast at the hotel. As expected, GOs are very hospitable and will cater to your every whim even on a sweltering hot day. They are so friendly and very entertaining! Our GO, Olivia was really really nice! The GOs would sit down with you during your meals and just chat with you. Marco was excellent too! He's such a joker.

Rooms were big and clean. Bed and pillows were comfy^^ One complaint about the room is the wooden panels separating the rooms in the balcony. They were so old and it looked like they would fall apart any moment. They even provided insect repellent in the rooms which really helped to keep the mozzies away :)

The variety of food served was good and some tasted good while others were so-so. Ice cream at every meal except for breakfast :p We usually look forward to the after dinner events. The night shows by the staff were really entertaining.

There were enough activities to keep yourself busy throughout your stay. In fact, we didn't even have enough time to do most of them. Badminton, tennis, archery, water polo, volleyball, kayak, sailing, water aerobics, yoga, pilates, dancing lessons and so much more!! Main attraction would be the trapeze. A must try! Another complaint would be the smelly badminton racquets. They really stunk real bad. They probably haven't changed the grip before *eeyuck*
I couldn't get the smell off my hands even after washing my hands a few times.

Loved my stay there and would definitely go back again~ Keep up the excellent job !

Room Tip: Request for rooms closer to the main wing especially if you have kids! You won't have to walk su...
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We wanted the ocean, a beach, a pool, negligible hassle, and a quick getaway. We did not want to have to think about anything, or prepare anything. Club Med Bintan fit the bill. It was only 45 minutes away by ferry. Its all-inclusive package meant that we would not have to check city guides to find out where to eat. The kids club had rave reviews. Since the package included two inter-connecting rooms, we'd have a bit more space than usual. And they had a 5D4N Kids Go Free deal. Perfect.

The Kids Club is excellently-run and probably the heart of every family's trip. Children can stay there from 8.30am till the 4.30pm pick-up. In between they are brought around to experience all the resort's activities -- archery, tight-rope walking, the trapeze, tennis, ball games, beach telematches, kite decorating and flying on the beach, art and craft, yoga, dance... The kids even have their own buffet lunch at their own restaurant.

Accommodation: Spring for a better class of room if you can. Because the resort is directly on the beach and sea-facing, most of the fixtures have been worn by salt and other elements. One bathroom was rather mouldy. One room had a perpetually damp-feeling floor. Two pillows had stinky bed head-never-been-washed odour. The wood in the rooms -- cupboards, tables, etc -- had seen better days.

Guests: We were there during the school holidays, and on a Kids Go Free deal. The resort was four-fifths full but it only felt really crowded during meal-times.

Dining: Meals have regulated timings. The grub is passable at best. But strangely, after a couple of days, you get used to the flavours and everything starts to taste better. The variety is good enough as far as international cuisine is concerned (remember, this is not a five-star resort) and once again, Club Med excels in the child-friendly aspect. There are compartmentalised trays with coloured areas for different types of food to encourage children to take the right amount of nutrients. Child-sized utensils, cups, and straws. High chairs and booster seats. There's a fridge with bottles of baby food, kettle for hot water, a bottle warmer.

Would we go again? Oh yes, why not?

Retired, West Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I am adding to my daughter-in-law's review "A week in Paradise" dated 3 Jan - Suffolk Mum.

My husband and I booked this holiday for 11 family members, who stayed for differing numbers of days between Boxing Day and 6 Jan - Bintan being chosen as an almost halfway destination for our children, who live in the UK, Holland and NZ.

We believe the ethos of this family resort to be "happy children, make happy parents", to have fun, relax, enjoy the many activities provided, the good food and drink, the lovely beach and the very hard-working and ever smiling staff.

My husband and I would not have chosen Clubmed for just ourselves. We prefer a more conventional hotel, which provides quite a different ambience and service, but to see all members of the family having such a lovely time was wonderful and the happy memories will always remain.

Do not expect 5* luxury rooms but they are spacious, clean and serviced well. Some of the negative reports before our trip had quite worried us, as Grandparents, but they were totally unfounded. Also not one of us had a mosquito bite or any other ailments.

The resort is now 15 years old and some areas are beginning to require a revamp but we saw plenty of preventative maintenance being carried out, thorough cleaning every day of the restaurant and catering areas and busy gardeners and beach cleaners.

Mike's organisational skills are exceptional. His hard work, enthusiasm and professionalism filter through to all the staff. He accepts no personal praise, only for them.

We are all well travelled and agreed that the cuisine was superb at all times but fabulous on NY Eve. Lobster, oysters, tempura, scallops, foie gras to name but a few and an amazing display of desserts and pastries.

Most mornings my husband and I preferred the quieter, later breakfast in the top restaurant and it was a good place to give the little boys aged 2 years and 9 months their tea at around 5pm before bedtime.

There was something for all the family members. Our youngest son booked two rounds of golf at the nearby world-class golf courses, our daughter the Spa, and we all enjoyed the entertainment.

The GO's were wonderful with the children at their various clubs and the young 2 year old enjoyed the safe and small swimming pool at the Petite Club.

Our thanks to each and every member of staff for making it such a memorable family holiday. Look out for Kiki who, like all the staff, works so hard. Cooked our eggs to perfection. Give him a high 5 from us all.

Just a couple of very small niggles:

- No comfortable seating for us oldies in the communal areas. All modern, low design.
- Sometimes difficult to obtain tokens for the laundry from reception. A necessity with babies in the group.
- Our 9 month old thoroughly enjoyed the noodles, fish, rice and fresh fruit but had he been a bit younger the variety of Heinz babyfoods on offer would have been very limiting. Fortunately our NZ daughter-in-law took some babyfoods with her.

Our very best wishes to everyone at Bintan Clubmed for a very happy and especially healthy 2013.
Thanks once again for all the memories and making us feel very young again.

Room Tip: Block J for peace and quiet Block A for seaviews and close to activities
Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I chose this place as a last minute getaway with my husband and my son, who was then slightly past 1 year old. We did not feel that we got the commensurate value for the price that we paid. The room showed signs of wear and tear, the small strip of rug seemed dirty and it was difficult to close the toilet door. The room was also very dimly lit which didn't help the gloomy atmosphere. More importantly, the cot that was provided us did not have legs or a stand, which meant that it sat right on the floor (with dust and dirt) next to the bed. It had one slat missing, which meant there was a gaping hole on one side of the cot from which my son could easily wiggle out. Fortunately, my son hadn't really noticed the gaping hole and made no attempt to wiggle out and so we decided not to make a fuss about the cot. When our stroller was delivered to our door, there was a rain cover with it that did not belong to us. I thought that it was strange that they just slapped it together given that the brand of the rain cover did not correspond to that of our stroller. I noticed a stroller of the same brand as the rain cover a few doors down that had also been delivered on the same day as ours, and eventually went to knock on their door to check if the rain cover was theirs and they confirmed that it was theirs!

Apart from the above, this place felt like it penalised parents who choose to take care of their own children. I had chosen this place because I thought it was baby friendly but it turned out to be the opposite. They had the basics, such as the baby food bottles in the canteen like food hall (where the food was ok only for the money paid) and the cot and high chairs but really failed in other aspects. It would seem that their Petit Club and Mini Club facilities only caters to those who participate in Petit Club and Mini Club. We were not introduced to the baby pool in the Petit Club until I asked about it, because I had read about it in a blog written by another mother. When we brought our son there, there was nowhere to put our stuff next to the pool (save on the floor which was wet), presumably because only Petit Club and Mini Club participants used the pool and they would have already changed into their swim wear and stored all their stuff in the Petit Club and Mini Club rooms. There is also a lack of play facilities for kids who are unable to participate in the Petit Club and Mini Club. I had brought my son into the playroom when it was empty (and there was one staff there), and she had initially said that we could not use the playroom but after some persuasion she said that we could only stay there until her Petit Club kids woke from their nap and came back into the room. If the playroom can only be used for Petit Club members, then the hotel should really consider building other playrooms for the use of the children who either are unable to join due to age limits or would rather stay with their parents because they are shy or have stranger anxiety. This did not just apply to me, I saw another set of parents arguing with another staff as to whether their child could play in an empty playroom when we explored the premises.

While Club Med is supposed to be a "you can eat at all times" concept, this did not turn out to be true all the time. There was a snacking restaurant, but this often served up food that looked stale and seemed like leftovers from lunch, save for the fresh salad mixes. There was also a small bar set up beside the main pool which often had small snacks ranging from cheese cubes to breadsticks to dim sum etc, but this was not replenished or set up all the time when we were there (we were there for four days three nights). As the dinner restaurant only opened at a certain time, this meant that I often had to head back to the room to gather my son's snacks, which we brought, before dinnertime because swimming made him hungry. We were clearly not the only people hungry, because i could often see people waiting around outside the restaurant waiting for the restaurant to open. The full board idea also fails on the fact that the minibar in the room is empty and you have to pay to stock it! it just strikes one as very petty to be stinging on minibar items in view of the amount paid for the package.

The staff are also required to sit with you during meals but you can gently decline and they will leave you alone. The only advantage was that there were many other kids in the resort, which meant that we did not feel too embarrassed at meal times with a noisy toddler, and there were other kids to distract him. The guests were infinitely more friendly than the staff, who mostly seemed to be friendly only on a superficial level - and seemed more tired and harrassed sometimes.

This was a really disappointing experience. I definitely have had way better experiences in other hotels that cost way less, both in terms of quality and service. Families with older kids who are happy to join the activities organised by the resort may enjoy this place more, but overall i would still not go back even when my child is older.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

It took me a long time to ponder how to best describe our experiences and impressions to benefit future travellers. I do not wish you to be disappointed and yet I do not wish you to miss the fun and good time you could have.
Location : Just 50 min. ferry from Singapore is a Plus. Ferry ride was comfortable with drink and snack to purchase on board. ( No, we did not take the Emerald Class ticket ) Even more Plus with the efficient service on hotel check-in immediately upon arrival before the short bus trip. ( I cannot say the same though on waiting to board on the return ferry to Singapore : long squeezy line.)
Beach : Absolutely beautiful white sandy beach with some rocky area with fish swimming around. Plenty of lounging chairs with beach bar nearby providing choices of refreshments. Water Sport Hut on the other side of beach.
Two Swimming pools, outdoor yoga area, Trapeze areas, while Golf, Sport / Fitness, Badminton, Squash, Tennis, Archery area on the other side.
Room : Biggest disappointment( regardless the previous warnings from TA) ! It really, really needs a total make over job. Such a beautiful beach and energetic staff but tired looking rooms ! Basic Toiletries and drinking water is provided- but you have to call House Keeping everyday if you need more. Beware of slippery floor in the shower area where the cleaner may have left some of the detergent that turns slippery when wet. I fell and slipped into a split, hurt my back- fotunately the yoga class helped.
Food : I have expected a better quality food in the Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Buffet. Yes, there were good variety of dishes served- from Brazillian meat, Mexican to Australian dish. Japanese table has considerable good choices. The food are somewhat OK with a lingering taste of 'not quite there'. The Egg Station man was not nice- he would rather be somewhere else rather than making an omelette. The fish at the Terrace restaurant was good - but goodness, the fried rice was bland- and it was shocking that the noodle soup did not come with any 'bakso' beef balls as it is used to be served in Indonesia. Bintan is in Indonesia and yet- none of the cooks can make a passable tasty fried rice ? Instant Noodle costs so cheap- it is not that expensive to add a couple of other ingredients. Don't forget to add Indonesian chilli or sambal and Indonesian soy sauce such Kecap ABC/ Kecap Bangau in bowls or bottles for the fried rice and the noodle. I am sure the very kind Pak Syarif (?) is aware of this ? I believe Ruben will have a lot of work in the future.
During our stay there were many choices of drinks or cocktails. They are OK but please do not expect the 'Longbar' of Raffles quality.
As been reviewed by many- activities for children are amazingly great with plenty of choices. Children are happy. The GO s( from all over the world ) are excellent and work really hard from morning to performing shows in the evening, sosializing with guests afterwards and practising at midnights ! The shows by the Pool on weekend are so hillarious.
In a nut-shell : Family with active children will benefit most- although couples without children can still have good relaxing time. You do not come to ClubMed Bintan for good food or hang around in your room. Plenty of food and snacks- you won't be hungry but this is not a culinary experience holiday; this is all about being active.

Room Tip: Get a sea-view room. Do remember to close your windows- some monkeys are known to enter rooms and I...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Club Med Bintan Island? Share your experiences!