“Great Family Destination” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Bintan Island

Save Saved
You added Club Med Bintan Island to your Saves list
Club Med Bintan Island
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Jl Site A11 | Lagoi, Bintan Utara, Riau Islands Province 12920, Indonesia   |
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Bintan Island
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Great Family Destination”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We couldn't have asked for a better holiday for a family. Our kids never go to kids clubs but on this holiday they couldn't wait to get there each morning. They even went and dined with the GOs at night. The food was all great a good variety each day and plenty of international options.
My only critisism is the snorkling gear was well past its used by date.
We'll definately be going back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

A lot has been said about this property regarding the quality and other aspects and if you are travelling with family and kids you would find some of the reviews too biased on the negative side. I am highlighting some positive and negative points with a hope that some action gets taken on my suggestions

1. We were pleasantly surprised by the courtiesness of the staff right from the GOs to even the housekeeping staff. My kids had a fantastic time at the kids club. Clearly it will be a disservice to others if I mention just a few names, but our experience was that every individual there was very attentive and this made our stay very pleasant. Of the many negatives that this resort may have, the courtiesness and the energy of the staff just wipes most of this away.

2. Food quality is average at best so if your re a foodie with very high standard for food then you should avoid this place. Very little variety for vegetarian guests. Overall food preparation is on the oily side. Morning breakfast - it would help if they have the eggs made to order rather than producing a whole lot of extremely oily omelettes. We had eggs to order on one of the mornings and it was way better than other days.

3. The location and the private beach is excellent. No fault there.

4. Quality of rooms: if you want excellent quality, better stay at Banyan Tree but we were happy with what we had. Anyway we prefer to have a separate room for the kids and for reasons like this we find the clubbed option very affordable. Room cleanliness leaves a big void to be filled.

5. Activities at the club: There is a bunch of it and in our 5 days there we could not try all of them. Remember that you are not at a professional sports academy and enjoY this as a holiday destination.

I will not hesitate to recommend this to my friends with family. There may be better options for others around.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My wife and I took our three children for a great weekend in club med bintan at the end of October 2012. The staff were great and we enjoyed the nice pools, beach and activities. the kids really enjoyed the mini club and ms sun and the rest of the staff were super friendly and attentive to all kids. My wife and I got to relax and enjoy some time while the kids tried the pool, trampoline, mini golf , kite making , t shirt dyeing and disco dancing . Fun and exciting trip for all.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

The good, the average, the bad. Honest feedback. Summary at the end.

*Good*
- Dinners. High quality buffet food on both nights of our stay.
- Staff driven birthday party celebrations during meal times. A nice touch by the staff. A lot of rara if you're into that type of thing.

*Average*
- Lunch. Some things were good, others were not good. There was no sign of seafood except for muscles yesterday which were very average.
- Staff attentiveness. Although some try to be nice, others just can't be bothered. A very inconsistent experience. There seemed to be a lot of attention paid to those with young children, so this probably explains why Club Med has received some good reviews.
- Sleepability was ok, however the curtains in the room are thin, so the sunlight will come into the room at 6am. Note earliest breakfast is 7am and gym is open but unattended.

*Poor* (I wish I didn't have so much to say)
- Timing for activities is too restrictive. Went to the beach and it was closed at 11am due to strong undercurrents. Went to archery at 11:45 and was told it was too late to join (but we later heard from others in the group prior that they had only just started 5 mins ago). So we went to reception to ask if we could use the bikes and ride around, to which the answer was you need to book it and riding will be at 5pm. Fed up, we decided to head to lunch. Only to be met with closed doors as we were 10 minutes early!
- Beach weather during monsoon season is terrible. Not the fault of Club Med, but for the price that they're charging its way disproportionate. No banana boat, no jetski, no kayak, no sailing, no swimming in the water, nothing!
- Breakfast - doesn't even meet standard quality. Yesterday the fruit salad with watermelon was spoilt. It was clear this was saved from the previous day's meal as you could tell it was off even by the smell. Passed this to the waitering staff who did not deny it and took it away. Egg omlettes were dry and crusty. Similarly the mac and cheese this morning. Terrible food to start the day.
- Beer. Although Club Med is free flow drinks, do not be fooled. We played drinking games last night and after 6 beers there was no sign of *any* drunkenness. Something is wrong with this beer! We haven't quite figured out what yet.
- Room standard. Old TV, very poor static reception. Drawers were all empty, no laundry bags, no slippers, no iron, no ironing board. NOTHING! Bathroom has mould. Since its my first stay at Club Med, I'm not sure whether this is 'standard' but its typical of a 2 star international hotel - not really what I was expecting from a brand name like Club Med.
- Infrastructure. Typical Indonesian quality - lovely when brand new, but no maintenance is done thereafter. Gym has 2 treadmills, but only 1 is working. 2 exercise bikes, but only 1 can be programmed while the other doesn't calculate correctly. The vertical bench press is also out of order. Walking around the Jati block, Level 3 there is a wooden door that has scrape marks which really makes it look unsightly. Overall, the place needs MAJOR renovation.
- Checkout woes. I was charged Singapore $12 for changing my ferry time. At time of checkout they requested payment and I gave them S$15 ($10 and $5 note). They said they did not have change. They then said they could give change but in Rupiah. Reluctantly I said ok. They then opened the money box and only found Singapore dollars, not enough Rupiah for change. They looked at me and told me they had no change. And we were stalemated where they refused to give me change in Singapore dollars and had no Rupiah either. I asked for their manager. Same girl came out 5 mins later and gave me the same response. I offered to give them and extra $1 coin so that it would me $16 and they could refund me $4 (2 x $2 notes). She again refused saying that they don't accept coins. I told them its not 5 cents or 10 cents coins. She still refused. No coins accepted since their money changer doesn't accept coins! So I asked if they could just accept my coin and exchange it with other guests who would also be checking out later in the day. Again she refused. 20 minutes passed and eventually she gave me "some" Rupiah. Although I was shortchanged I took it anyway just to close this case off. So Club Med, you still owe me...

Summary:
Value for money. My company paid for this trip. But if it was my money I would have asked for a 75% refund. The estimated pricing for 2 adults + 2 children is about S$2000 for 2 nights. With so many activities restricted due to timing or cancelled due to weather there is really nothing to do. Food was not a highlight except for dinner. The bar beer without beer sideeffects (you can judge whether thats good or bad). Facilities in dire need of renovation. Beach activities offlimits due to weather at this time of season.

I'd not go back again. If you do decide to go though, just go in with lowered expectations. I was expecting more from a brand name, and so clearly I was disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

We spent 6 days in the resort and it was great.
The GOs were great, had lots of activities and made the holidays very enjoyable.
Even somewhat changeable weather due to monsoon season was no issue.
Rooms are spacious and beautiful and the beach is picturesque.

• Stayed November 2012
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Spent 3 nights in Club med bintan over halloween this year. Had a wonderful time. GOs were very friendly! Lots of activities, sports and food. The events held nightly were fun. There's a different theme for each night and even a mini ghost trail set up by the GOs. This is my first time at club med and it definitely will not be my last.

On a side note, more maintenance or renovations can be done to the rooms. The toilet always give a squeaking sound whenever flushed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Mouldy rooms flaking paint, crumbling woodwork, dingy spaces, terrible food. And it used to be so good ( about 5 years ago). GO staff pretty ok, most of the rest fairly indifferent. Location is still great, great beach although I saw one person rescued from the sea ( no lifeguard on duty apparently)

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Club Med Bintan Island? Share your experiences!