“Short-trip to Bintan” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Angsana Bintan

You added Angsana Bintan to your Saves list
Angsana Bintan
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Teluk Berembang | Laguna Bintan, Riau Islands Province 29155, Indonesia   |
Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Bintan Island
A TripAdvisor Member
“Short-trip to Bintan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2006

After a week-long conference in Singapore two friends and myself were looking for a short holiday nearby. We choose the Angsana Resort in Bintan and booked a double suite. The ferry travel was uncomplicated but take care if you can buy your visa at arrival (i.e. Germans and Brits) or if you have to apply for one three days earlier (i.e. Greek passport holders). The hotel offers very good value for money. The spa is outstandingly good and offers very good packages. Choose the roof terrace for your treatments and best is in the evening. We used a lot the sport facilities with jungle mountain-biking, jet-skiing, water-skiing and catamaran-sailing. Everything was reasonably priced. We had dinner at the beach and liked the seafood BBQ with life-music. However, it is fairly quite after 11pm but that suited us well. Although it was a Singapore bankholiday the beach and pool felt not over-crowded. The staff was always very kind and gentle. If you want to go fine dining there are three posh restaurants round the corner at the Banyan Tree. Overall we had great three days. Bintan is probably too small for a two-weeks stay but for up to one week combined with Singapore it is ideal.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2006

Spent a wonderful weekend at the Angsana after a very hectic trip to Singapore and Malaysia.We booked the hotel direct through their own web site, booking was trouble free and the hotel responded very quickly to our queries regarding payment and the ferries. Check in was friendly, welcoming and very helpful. The room, a deluxe room on the 4th Floor (ask for this) was large and well appointed. However the beds could have been softer. The restuarants are good serving and excellent choice for breakfast and we enjoyed an excellent dinner, enough to stop us going out in the evening!! One can also use the restuarants at the Banyan Tree, next door, beautiful setting and great food.
The pool at the Angsana is lovely with very comfortable sunbeds and no limit on the towels. A constant supply of iced water served by attentive staff. The service throughout was delightful, it is so lovely to be greeted by name everywhere you go. The beach is beautiful and very private with sunbeds and umbrellas.
The Angsana is not the most luxurious hotel we have ever stayed in but I would recommend it highly for a relaxing break. The easy and very efficient transfer to and from the ferry port only added to a lovely stay

Stayed March 2006
Danbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2006

I was looking for a weekend getaway while on business in Singapore, so an overnight trip to Bintan was perfect. Very easy to get there via ferry from Singapore with payment for a visa on arrival (for US,UK etc.) For a place to stay, I asked around and checked Trip Advisor... the Angsana seemed to fit what I was looking for - nice hotel (not luxury, but very nice) with spa, nice beach, nice pool. It turned out to be just that.
I requested a superior room with ocean view, but upon arrival, I learned that all of the ocean view rooms were booked. (likely because I was staying just one night, Sat to Sun). However, they put me in a nice private garden room on the ground floor. I was initially concerned being on the ground floor, but it turned out to be very convenient for getting to/from the beach and pool without having to go through the lobby of the hotel - they give you a key for the sliding doors that let out onto a small deck and private garden - and my room was just steps away from the spa entrance, which was also very convenient. The bathroom could use a bit of an upgrade, but the room itself was nicely decorated.
I traveled to Bintan to relax, and the beach at Angsana was perfect for this. The beach had a very private feel - never crowded - and the water was amazingly clear and calm for swimming. I generally prefer sea water, so I didn't spend much time at the pool, but it was a beautiful setting and also had a very relaxing feel (despite the children, for whom there is a separate shallow section at the pool).
Service at the Angsana was excellent - anytime I needed anything, the staff quickly took care of my request and were always very pleasant. I was very struck by how sincerely all of the staff seemed to care for the guests. The service in the spa was also very good. And the open air spa rooms were fabulous, the perfect setting for relaxing massages on my relaxing weekend. If I have time for a weekend getaway during a future trip to Singapore, I will definitely stay at the Angsana again.

• Stayed April 2006
NYC, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2006

I went to the Angsana for a weekend to relax.
The hotel check in was pretty quick and the clerks were very friendly.

I found the room lacking in style and comfort. I wasn't expecting a lot, but the closet fits 5 hangers, the bathroom was sparse with thin towels,and the mattress was hard as a rock. It wasn't just firm, but thin and hard. My body ached each morning.

Spa was ok. I had a nice massage but it had more to do witht he therapist. My friend had a massage and scrub, but when she went to rinse off her scrub, the shower was just HOT. They had to have a technician come in the middle of her treatment to fix the shower. Totally ruins the mood.

The hotel needs an upgrade.

Food was ok. Nothing to rave about, but it was really nice to sit and eat on the beach.

The one BIG complaint I had was that every day at 11am, the Laguna Club, whatever it is, decides to call and try to sell something. I'm on vacation...I planned to sleep in and relax. Instead, every day I get woken up by some lady trying to pitch me something. That is not the way I want to be woken up.

All in all, it was an ok stay. I relaxed but I wouldn't be going back to the Angsana.

Stayed March 2006
Redwood City, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2006

My husband and I were looking for a weekend getaway from Singapore, where we could relax by the pool and enjoy the ocean. The Angsana fit the bill perfectly, in this regard.

The beach was lovely and we enjoyed being able to rent boogie boards and fins to bodysurf with. The pool also, was beautiful. The restaurant that served food and drinks by the pool has and extensive menu and yummy food.

The room seemed a little ragged around the edges. The brochures describing hotel amenities were worn and torn. The furniture and linens had seen better days. The room itself was pretty tiny. However, we did not spend much time in our room so this did not significantly affect our enjoyment.

The spa was nice, but not world class. The waiting room was small and not too luxurious. The spa attendant first told me that they had sold out of the mud body treatment that I requested and instead recommended the aloe body treatment. This was extremeley unpleasant as it contained some sort of cooling agent (vic's icy cold?) that I eventually had to scrub off my skin during the treatment after I became uncomfortably cold. I hadn't been warned about this effect before signing up for such a treatment. However, after I complained, the spa comped me an Indian head massage, which was delightful! The spa room was outside, overlooking the ocean. All in all a special experience.

The hotel's food was good and we were able to go next door to the Banyan Trees and eat at there restaurants, too.

I enjoyed our trip.

• Stayed March 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2006

After reading the reviews in TripAdvisor, I selected the Angsana for a weekend at the beach. I was stuck in Singapore on a business trip and didn't want to spend the weekend in the city. Getting here was easy enough -- taxi to ferry terminal, one hour ferry ride, minimal bureaucracy, quick shuttle to the resort. The common spaces at the resort are its strong suit. The pool and beach are really, really nice. The beach is particularly nice. The food and drink are pretty good too. My only complaint was the room. I was hoping for a view of the ocean, but that wasn't in the cards with my Standard room. All other classes were sold out so that was what was left for me. The staff are very pleasant and efficient. The guests seems to be a mix of families and young couples; not at all chic or pretentious. All and all, a pretty nice place to wile away a weekend.

• Stayed March 2006
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2006

We spent four days at the Angsana, Bintan. Overall we had a lovely stay at the Angsana, we were upgraded to the Angsana Suite (the largest type of accomodation). The staff at the Angsana were incredibly helpful and made us feel welcome all the time. One of the minus points about this resort were that the room amenities were fairly basic (especially the bathrooms)and the decor looked a a bit "tired" and the main restaurant was slightly atmosphere-less and service was not always smooth. The other dining alternative in the resort was a beach restaurant which was off-limit due the adverse weather condition.

Been to Angsana Bintan? Share your experiences!