“Great for a short break but a tad too expensive!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Angsana Bintan

You added Angsana Bintan to your Saves list
Angsana Bintan
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Teluk Berembang | Laguna Bintan, Riau Islands Province 29155, Indonesia   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Bintan Island
Auckland
“Great for a short break but a tad too expensive!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

So seamless getting the ferry from Singapore to Bintan. You are there within the hour and the pick up from the terminal is efficient. Check in at the resort was quick and the room was clean and tidy, although the bathroom could do with an upgrade.
Facilities are fine and the pool is clean and well looked after. The beach has beautiful white soft sand and the activities like the ATVs, dune buggies, snorkelling gear and boggy boards are all great. Only prob is they are overpriced to rent and as everything is billed in US dollars we were paying a high price for their use.
Food is also fine except again, very expensive for what it is. Having said that, my son has food allergies and this resort was very proactive and helpful in ensuring his food choices were safe ones for him. This was much appreciated. I would love to return but would hesitate only because of the high cost of accommodation, food and activities. If these were lowered we would be back for sure as the Angsana does a great job service wise.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

The welcome drinks is grassroots blend, nice but I believe most people can't drink it. This hotel is like a maze!! My friends room is at the other corner where you have to go down, walk few steps, then up the stairs. Though I went to her room in the afternoon, it do look scary as it was slightly quiet. The spa is expensive, the nick-nack stall is expensive .. well, most.. actually ALL!! It's my hubby's company trip.

Room Tip: No comment. :D
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ANIDBN, Ilias Vamvakas, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Haley16,

Thank you for bringing to our attention the challenges and disappointment encountered during your recent visit to our resort. It is with much concern that I heard about the unfortunate shortfalls you experienced while spending your holiday in Angsana Bintan.

Your comment in regard to our home made Lemongrass welcome drink has been duly noted and I have shared your feedback with the respective department head .

With regards to your feedback for our Spa and Gallery pricing we conduct regularly surveys among the resorts in Bintan to ensure that Angsana Bintan is in line with our competitors .

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and we are truly sorry to have let you down on this occasion. Please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointment caused.

Looking very much forward to welcome you back to Angsana Bintan in the future.

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I try to not repeat most of the reviews here which seem to be going to the same direction. Stayed here in early September for five nights. Staffs were really helpful and pleasant, especially that we speak local languages. Ibnu, Son and the rest of front desk team are worth accolades. The front desk during week days morning time could be extremely understaffed, it is understandable that the guests are pouring in during the weekend only, however, the front desk should not be left to skeleton shift that the guests are made to wait for a long time without anyone attending to. One of the front desk staff had to drive the hotel car herself to pick us up from nearby Banyan Tree after our breakfast, due to short of staff...or drivers. Everything is so expensive in this resort, and in Bintan Resort in general. We were kinda prepared since this was not our first trip. We tried the quad-bike for kids and jet skis from Angsana. Had a wonderful time with these guys from Angsana Marine Center, very accommodating and friendly. There is wi-fi everywhere including the beach. Still, the wi-fi session in our 2-bedroom suite is limited to 3 connections at any time, despite Mr. Vamvakas' comment before that he would work with IT to improve this, apparently he is still working on it.

You can skip the buffet breakfast in Lotus Cafe....it is far beyond standard for the amount we pay. The cut-fruit was not chilled with ice, topped up with flies. Plates were not cleaned in time, again, short of staff during weekdays. We went to Banyan Tree for our breakfast and dinner, and it offered truly different experience. It costs more there, but it offers much better food, ambience and 'class' there.

If you plan to go out, try to get the package tours that include lunch/dinner with massage and tour like mangrove. There are also some restaurants that offer free pickup and drop off which you can take advantage of. There are many reviews on that already so I will stop short here.

We rented a private car (from private vendor, not hotel) and went for a day-trip in Tanjung Pinang city, bought some dried-goods, and went back to Bintan Sayang Resort for our last kelong dinner there, which was pretty good with reasonable price.

Overall, it was good relaxing family time for five nights staying there. You just need to spend for quality time at quality places, do you?

Room Tip: Rooms in ground floor has direct access to the hotel grounds through backdoor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the hotel, for a short getaway, to celebrate our anniversary.

It's good to note that a shuttle service to and from the ferry terminal is provided.

Upon arrival at the hotel we were greeted by all the staff at the reception. The entrance to the hotel is rather grand. Check-in was efficient and informative.

A nice surprise was on the bed laid an arrangement of flowers and leaves, spelling 'Happy Wedding Anversary' (yes, that was the spelling, small forgiveable error), and also a chocolate cake (don't know how long it's been sitting in the room), and a card hand written by the hotel's manager. A nice gesture, although it would have been mindful to just write 'Happy Anniversary' rather than assume it's a wedding anniversary.

The breakfast buffet spread at the lotus cafe was rather appalling. this was probably the biggest disappointment of our stay there, given the rate of the room paid. Nasi Lemak was literally just coconut rice and sambal chilli. There was no accompanying curry or anything of the sort. it just seems a bit strange to have nasi lemak with beef bacon, sausages and quiche.

Room service was no better. $18 rosemary spring chicken with basalmic reduction and saffron creme fraiche sounded delightful, but when it came, I was served a rather dry bird with no basalmic anything nor saffron creme fraiche. When I called for the sauces to be served, the person on the end of the line had no idea what I was referring to. We ended up getting served balsamic vinegar that was just olive oil really..

Thankfully, we had alternative food options at banyan tree, we opted for Treetops cafe, simply because that was the most affordable of the 3 they had. the food there was magnificent. It's curious that the sister hotel food was so much better than Angsana's. Management really should look into this matter.

Unfortunately the weather marred the trip, it rained 2 of the 3 days we were there. When the skies cleared, we took the opportunity to ride ATVs - we were led on an hour long ATV trail.

The beach was lovely, and the water filled with fish! you could sit on the shore patiently, and soon enough, you'll have a few fish swimming around you. Venture a little further into the water, where the protruding rocks are, and you'll see a wider variety of fish!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com

ANIDBN, Ilias Vamvakas, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear A TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for bringing to our attention the challenges and disappointment encountered during your recent visit to our resort. It is with much concern that I heard about the unfortunate shortfalls you experienced while spending your anniversary in Angsana Bintan.

I am glad to hear that your check in process was very efficient and informative. Your comment in regard to the bedding decoration has been shared with our Executive Housekeeper.

We have duly take note of your major disappointment with our Breakfast Buffet and the In-room dining. I have addressed all your points mentioned with our Executive Chef and we are currently reviewing on procedure to see how this was possible. Further I would like to assure you that the associate training is on-going and we are doing our upmost to rectify our shortcomings.

Needless to say how disappointed and saddened we are to have left you with an impression of our establishment far from positive and memorable in such way.
We would like to first and foremost extend our sincere apologies for not having been able to meet your expectations in many areas and would like to assure you that feedback such as the one we have received from your good self are not considered “ad acta” without improvement solutions being discussed amongst the management team.

However, we are delighted that you had enjoyed the beach, the ATV ride and our Tree Tops restaurant in Banyan Tree Bintan. It is our wish to fulfil all the needs of our guests to their total satisfaction.

A TripAdvisor Member, once again thank you for your constructive feedback. We are looking forward to welcome you back in the future to Angsana Bintan.

Best Regards,

St Kilda, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Delightful staff really made this an enjoyable weekend, naturally friendly and they'll go the extra mile to assist you if they can. Its a shame about the actual hotel though, we were a little disappointed in our room especially with the price tag and so moved from the second to the fourth floor. Our 2nd floor room décor was dated, miles away from anything (15 month old in a stroller doesn't make it any easier), there were 2 single beds, very little room and the cot provided (for which there was no charge) was old, discoloured and had holes in it. We explained our disappointment to reception who promptly moved us to the 4 floor and a Deluxe room (brand new cot arrived with it, no questions asked). The décor was better, there was a queen bed and a little more room. I strongly advise families to ask for a ground floor room though with little ones, the balcony is totally unsafe and our toddler could have easily squeezed through the grids and we were 4 floors up, this means keeping the door closed all the time. The room overlooked the pool which was quite nice, the pool staff very helpful and there were plenty of lounge chairs and towels for everyone. The kayak hire was only USD $12 for 1 hour and there seemed to be plenty of other water sports plus quad bikes to hire. The beach was lovely and clean and the water warm if you're a beachgoer. Unfortunately the USD $9 for a bottle of water by the pool and USD $6++ for a can of coke in the cafe tipped us over the edge, the cheapest bottle of wine was USD $70 at dinner at the bbq by the beach which was quite nice and the staff very pleasant as always. Lunch in the Lotus Café was very tasty for local Indonesian food ie., Nasi Goreng but it was a hefty bill every time, the friendly café staff were of course lovely. I think all over we enjoyed the weekend with dear friends but certainly wouldn't go back, the hotel isn't up to the money they charge, in fact the rooms are more 3 star with a 6 star price tag. Indonesian immigration in Bintan is time consuming, unfriendly for families travelling (which is the majority of passengers) and all in all, I'd probably spend the money on another destination around the region next time. The golf course is another matter all together, I'll let hubby leave the comments for that. Well done to the welcoming, patient and hospitable staff for a job well done though.

Room Tip: get a ground floor room with little ones, the balconies are literally a death trap, specify if you w...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear ClaireMear1971,

Thank you for providing us your feedback on your recent stay with us. We feel very dissapointed that your stay at Angsana Bintan did not live up to the expectation that you had of our brand.

We apologize for the unacceptable conditions that you had encountered, and you can be assured that we will revisit our procedure in regards to room assigment. I have addressed all your points mentioned with the respective Department Head and we are currently reviewing on procedure to see how this was possible. Further I would like to assure you that the associate training is on-going and we are doing our upmost to rectify our shortcomings.

I appreciate your positive feedback about our associates and our services offered throughout the resort.

With regards to the food & beverage pricing we conduct regularly surveys among the resorts in Bintan to ensure that Angsana Bintan is in line with our competitors .

Once again we greatly appreciate your feedback and we are excited about hosting you and your partner again at Angsana Bintan.

Best Regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Beach was clean and with clear water. Rooms to the beach within a minute's walk. Fantastic marine center with lots of activities to choose from and friendly staff. Property is a little tired and certainly no five star feel despite the 5 star price. The room I had was rather basic. Bathroom is rather budget hotel feel. The room I stayed had 2 lizards! From my room, close to the spa's entrance l, I could hear people walking and talking all the time. Buffet dinner was pretty average and 5 of us didn't find it tasty. I didn't do the spa but my friends did and they thought it was great. There was a small toiletries pouch bag with toothbrush and comb and the likes. Upon check out I took it with me to put my sunscreen lotion as I don't have a plastic bag but housekeeping wanted to charge me for it. For a $400+ a night hotel they wanted to charge me for tiny amenities pouch? Should have put a label to inform guests it's not complementary. Interesting incident that didn't quite help wrap up the stay with a positive note.

• Stayed September 2013
ANIDBN, Ilias Vamvakas, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Esmip,

Thank you for providing your feedback of your recent stay with us.

We feel very disappointed that your stay at Angsana Bintan did not live up to the expectations that you had of our brand.

We apologize for the unacceptable conditions and unpleasant experiences that you have encountered, and you can be assured that work has been implemented to solve the problem.

I have shared your feedback with our Area Chef and Food and Beverage in charge to further improve the buffet dinner as per our standard. In the mean time associate training is on going to keep the high standard of Angsana Bintan.

We have placed in every room a tag mentioning that the in room amenities pouch is chargeable if our guest would like to have it. In addition I will ensure that this will be informed to our guest clearly to avoid the same of happen again in the future.

Once again, thank you very much for your comment and we are truly sorry to have let you down on this occasion. Please accept our sincere apologies for the dissapointment caused.

Looking very much forward to welcome you back to Angsana Bintan in the future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Having left Singapore on the 8.10 am (SG time) ferry service, we were well on our way to Angsana Bintan by 9.00 am (Bintan time). This was accomplished by the efficient and friendly Angsana staff at the BBT Ferry terminal who already had our names and details on hand.

Ushering us to some comfortable seats in the hotel lobby, the reception staff with welcome drinks in hand then proceeded to go through the formalities for check-in. Being rather early in the morning (check-in time 2 pm), we were informed that our rooms were still not yet available. We were offered some options on things to do and decided to visit the Pasar Oleh-oleh which the hotel promptly arranged transport for. Just before the taxi was due to arrive, we were given keys to our room (pleasant surprise). To me, this reflects true service and honesty - a lesser hotel would have hidden this fact from us having known that we had just arranged to go off.

Room - Rooms exceeded our expectations. Spacious lay-out albeit slightly dated design. Pool / beach view added to the ambiance. Nice touch with the incense and lighted aromatherapy candle in the bathroom. Evening turn-down added to what was already great service.

Facilities / Meals - We had our hand at table tennis in the recreation room. Beautiful pool that we were able to enjoy briefly during our stay. We chose to have dinner outside the resort so did not try dinner at Angsana. Breakfast included in our package was a relatively simple affair - the atmosphere and quality outweighs quantity / variety for us. Would have enjoyed some porridge though.. Another suggestion would be to have a well-stocked reading room / library that guest could fill their time with during wet / too hot weather.

Compared to other places we have been, Angsana Bintan really stands out for excellent service. There was a genuine sense of service that was felt when dealing with the staff.
Again and again, they were willing to go beyond what would normally be expected from hotel staff in other places. This added on to the location and atmosphere of the hotel that was peaceful and relaxing as a whole.

Overall, enjoyable weekend stay at Angsana Bintan. Would recommend and would like to return in the near future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Angsana Bintan? Share your experiences!