“Pretty poor value” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Angsana Bintan

You added Angsana Bintan to your Saves list
Angsana Bintan
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Teluk Berembang | Laguna Bintan, Riau Islands Province 29155, Indonesia   |
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Bintan Island
Crediton, United Kingdom
“Pretty poor value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed here for some R&R after a trip through Asia.

This is not a 5 star hotel (more like 3 star). It is expensive, the staff are poorly trained and have very limited english and a complete lack of understanding of customer service - although they are very smiley and a little over familiar at times. The decor is very tired and the rooms are really badly designed, particularly the storage. The drinks are expensive ($5 for a bottle of water $7 for a coke and $68 ++ for a bottle of wine that I can buy at home for less than $7 - these prices are US$!!!) The food choice in the restaurants, including that on offer in the neighbouring Banyan Tree, is poor and unimaginative and, again, very expensive for the standard offered.

However, on the plus side, we had a problem with our room with water pouring onto the balcony when it rained and a wonderful assistant manager dealt with our problem and very kindly upgraded us to a suite. (Mind you, we had spoken to 3 members of staff before we eventually collared this very kind lady - nobody else on the staff took any notice of our gripes)

Also, the Spa really is very good indeed - the staff are very professional, the surroundings lovely and the treatments are really excellent value.

It was quiet when we stayed (apparently only 30 guests!) so the beach was lovely and quiet and the pool too. However, there is no beach or pool service - again pretty poor for a hotel that claims to be 5 star.

I'm sure the Angsana is fine for a 2 day break from Singapore but we will not be returning and will defintely not be making any recommendations.

Room Tip: Choose a 4th floor room and upgrade to a suite.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Cruwysing,

Thank you for your valuable feedback and for taking the time to write a comment of your recent stay in Angsana Bintan on TripAdvisor.

Firstly, please accept my sincerest apology for the inconvenience you experienced whilst staying with us. We understand the importance of fulfilling our guest’s expectations and it concerns me greatly that you have departed our shores with a negative impression.

I was most concerned to read about your comments in regards to our associates and the service aspect of our resort. Please allow me to take your comments with all its points and use it as training and learning exercise for our associates to ensure fine tuning is made for the future.

Please rest assured that I have personally spoken to our department heads for improvements and accordingly they will follow up with our associates in an effort to improve our product and service standard.

In closing I would like to thank you for choosing Angsana Bintan. I hope that I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort on your next visit.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Agree with much of what Neil B says about the place.... tired, 'frayed' looking rooms, furniture hap hazardly put togoether (looks like someone went to a garage sale and got a lorry-ful of odds and ends!) , quality of food was mediocre, given the astronomical prices they charged...

The staff however were friendly and obliging and made up for some of the shortcomings of the place

Surprising (or should I say disappointing) ....as this is also a "Banyan Tree" brand - you would think that they would at least exercise the same level of QC and be as stringent on the ID albeit at a lower budget.

Unlikely to return....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Chateau09,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor.

It concerns us greatly to read your comment in regards to your unfortunate experience at our resort recently.

Please allow us to take your comments with all its points and use it as improvement opportunities for us to ensure fine tuning is made in the future. I really appreciate your fair openness and constructive feedback.

We would like to thank you for choosing Angsana Bintan for your recent stay. We do hope we will have another chance to welcoming you back at our hotel so that we are able to somehow restore your faith in our resort.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed here for the Bintan Triathlon 2013 - and though there is obviously a high demand for accommodation during for the event it cannot justify the 450$ price per night.
For this price I was expecting high quality rooms, good food and relaxing time before my race.

The food was poor, overcooked and lacking variety. I have stayed in much better rooms for a quarter of this price. Post race I was being charged 10$ for a small can of Bintang Beer and up to 8$ for soft drinks. Making Angsana much more expensive than even the best hotels in Singapore.

The only positive were a few staff who made my ferry arrangements easy - however I will never come to this overpriced, poorly maintained and substandard hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear GaryPC,

I would like to thank you for choosing Angsana Bintan for your recent stay and for spending your valuable time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor.

We are so sorry that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. We have shared your valued feedback with our team and we are committed to make ongoing improvements to our product, service, and staff training, ultimately ensuring that we meet the expectations of our guests.

Again, we are terribly sorry that your first experience at our resort was not as you would expect from an Angsana property.

We look forward to welcoming you back in near future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my wife and a group of friends, and it is categorically the most overpriced and underwhelming location I've ever had the misfortune to stay in. Because there was a triathlon on they were charging $450 a night - yet the first night I was there we were given a room that would be put to shame by one of the "Fragrance Hotel" rooms in Singapore that cost a fraction of the price. This is not good value for money, even if there's high demand for the property.

What we got for this "wonderful price":

1.) A small, dingy room that looked like it was built in the 1970's and not painted since - with two single beds pushed together even though I'd booked a king size bedroom
2.) A bathroom with missing tiles, dirty grout, a smelly/unclean shower curtain and a stained bathtub
3.) A location immediately next to the hotel reception - meaning you hear every single noise from every single guest checking in or out of the hotel
4.) Access to the tired and old swimming pool - my condo in SIngapore has a better option
5.) Access to the beach, which had warnings about "tar balls" on one day and jellyfish the next. No swimming for us!
6.) A buffet breakfast - the only highlight, as it was included in the price. I suggest you eat enough here for the day as the food and drink prices are outrageous

After a vociferous complaint I was moved to a slightly better room with an actual "king" sized bed (more of a queen), and at least the amenities there looked like they were under 20 years old. The bathroom in the new room was marginally better (no disgusting shower curtain), but still nowhere near the quality you would expect for the price you pay.

The food and drink in the hotel was also horrendously over priced - a can of Bintang beer comes in at a whopping $10 Singapore dollars. The buffet dinners are $36 USD ++, and include unlimited food that tastes bland, meat that's as tough as old boots, and permit you another option to buy drinks at prices that would make the Marina Bay Sands in Singapore look cheap. Don't read this review and think I'm some cheapskate either - my bar bill for 2 days in this hotel was $1048 USD!!! The mark up they make here is a total embarrassment - it would be outrageous in some of the better resort hotels (such as the Westin in Bali where I've also stayed) but for the quality of the hotel, food, and drink it's obscene. Even those who don't drink alcohol would be wise to avoid it - a can of sprite was $8 USD.

People are swayed to come here because it's "close to Singapore". But you can go and jump on a short flight from Changi and get to Phuket, Koh Samui or Bali (all of which offer infinitely better value than this place). Even staying in a hotel on Sentosa would be a better option than this; you'd spend less on food and drink and have a much better experience.

I spend a lot of my time travelling for work, staying in similarly priced hotels. For the same money I can get a much better experience. This hotel should re-invest some of their obscene profits in maintenance and new furniture.

DO NOT COME HERE.

Room Tip: Don't come here - there aren't any good rooms, only different shades of bad. Room 201 is the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Neil B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your recent stay in Angsana Bintan on Trip Advisor.

I deeply apologize that we could not deliver the services as you would have expected during your stay with us and I would like to assure you that your comments have been taken seriously and shared with all the management team.

Thank You on your positive comment of the breakfast buffet.

We certainly hope that this experience will not prevent you from patronizing our resort in the future and that you will give us a chance to regain your confidence and to demonstrate our commitment to service.

Once again I would like to thank you for providing us with your feedback as it is only through the opinions and inputs of our customers that we can improve our performance. We very much

hope that you will return again to our hotel and I would be delighted to take care of any requirements you may have on future visits to Angsana Bintan.

Chamonix, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I was in Singapore for work and decided to take a weekend out to relax. Bintan is so close to Singapore, but it feels like a world away. I didn't want to fly, so the ferry was an easy option. The resort is comfortable, quiet and next to a fantastic beach without many people. The food was pretty good (the tuna was excellent) and the staff were extremely friendly. I had a great view from my room too. All in all highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We made our booking over Agoda and paid about S$440 for a night (Queen Deluxe room). The pictures showed the room looking really spacious with a balcony view of the sea. However upon arrival to the room, we were very disappointed with the size, the lack of space and the tiny balcony. And when it rained, the manner in which the roof was built, we had water flowing into the balcony! It was impossible to sit outside even though the rain had stopped and we eventually changed rooms on the second day. Must add that the manager was very helpful and brought us to take a look at two similar rooms for us to change to. The breakfast selection was good - we had one of the best scrambled eggs and omeletes.

However, food selection for lunch and dinner was minimal. It was also pretty expensive (S$15) for a plate of nasi goreng. Then again, the prices in Bintan have rose exorbitantly over the years. We went to The Cove at Banyan Tree for dinner on another night and was even more disappointed. We ordered a prawn pasta and risotto and concluded that the best chefs were either in Singapore, or Bali (in that region).

Our experience at the Angsana Spa was very good. We had the couple room and took the package which included a 90 min massage, head and face massage. The therapists were very good, attentive and comforting.

Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com

BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Sham G

We appreciate you have taken the time to share your review with us.

It is disheartening to learn that you had a less than favourable experience with us, as our commitment is to always provide seamless service and memorable holiday experiences to all, our guests.

We deeply apologize for any service shortfalls that may have resulted in your dissatisfaction with our resort.

All your comments have been passed on to the respected department head.

I appreciate your positive comment regarding our staff.

We are looking very much forward to welcome you back to Angsana Bintan in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Norwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We stayed on the4th floor which gave us an excellent view of the pool area and the ocean beyond. The room itself was fairly normal if slightly old fashioned. The air con had a mind of its own and the first night was too hot until we used the fan as well, which kept the room bearable. The second day it's rained which was a time use of the balcony would have been handy except the roof did not cover properly and the rain soaked the balcony and it was necessary to keep the door closed as rain would have soaked the room. The food in the restaurants was expensive and drinks way over the top a can of coke over 6 USD small can of beer over 8 USD. The same menu was used each day so little variety. As this hotel is miles from anyway eating and drinking at the hotel was the only choice. The only thing which was top class was the beach area which was clean and tidy as was the pool area. All in all I would never go back to this area as the cost far outweighs the amenities

Room Tip: Go for the higher rooms have good view of the ocean
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Aylward57,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay in Angsana Bintan on Trip Advisor.

We deeply regret that the room, AC, the variety and price of food and beverage did not meet your expectation.

We would like to extend to you our apologies for the unfortunate experience and we are certainly most concerned with the satisfaction of all of our guests and your feedback is of great value to us.

It allows us to ensure and improve the quality of facilities & services we want to offer to our guests.

I hope this experience will not alter your confidence in Angsana Bintan and that you will give us the opportunity of welcoming you again in the future.

Sincerely yours,

Angsana Bintan

Been to Angsana Bintan? Share your experiences!