“Awesome Beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Angsana Bintan

You added Angsana Bintan to your Saves list
Angsana Bintan
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Teluk Berembang | Laguna Bintan, Riau Islands Province 29155, Indonesia   |
Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Bintan Island
melbourne
“Awesome Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

On arrival, the hotel looked ordinary. The checking in process was quite smooth and we were served with nice cold drink while they processed our check-in. When we booked two deluxe rooms but we were pleasantly surprised that we were upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite. We also had some surprises in the room.. birthday cake in one and an honeymoon cake in the order. Really nice touch!. The 1 bedroom suite has a separate lounge area from the bedroom. It was very spacious. One drawback was that the bathroom was extremely small and cramped. The wardrobe was also not generous in size. The hotel was a bit run down. Angsana only has 1 pool! Why? It was always crowded. Luckily the beach was awesome with white clean sands and great waves. The food from the 2 restaurants were not great. We had dinner at the Cove at the Banyan Tree (sister resort of Angsana) and the food was also disappointing. The dinner we had the the Kepong Seafood Restaurant (a 15 mins drive from Angsana) was so much better and spicy. This was after all Indonesia! I would like to specially comment the staff, Rudolf, who served us lunch at the Lotus Cafe. He was polite, attentive and nothing was too much trouble for him. Thanks Rudolf, for bringing us some hot chillis. :}}

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

One of the best experiences of my life. But I'll travel to Angsana again only when you include some vegetarian food in your menu. That was the only drawback. Otherwise it becomes impossible to survive for more than a day for vegan people like me and my family.

Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com

Berlin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Went here for a 3 night break from Singapore. Stuff is extremely friendly, location very beautiful at a very scenic beach. Nice grill at beach rooms are ok, all facing the sea.
What I don't like is that all is priced in US Dollar and you must pay in US ore Singapore Dollar. Prices are very high ! As there is no real town ore village nearby you have no other choice. There are some tourist villages selling this and that , but this is boring- don't go there.
All in all: nice for 3 nights , too expensive. Not sure if I would come back.

• Stayed December 2012
Pattaya, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed here before about 9 years ago, however will never stay again. This is NOT A 5 STAR hotel. Extremely disappointing rooms - very basic, no luxury in them at all. Slippers had been worn before I think. Cracks in shower tiles. Tiny wardrobe. We travel a lot and always like to stay in beautiful hotels - this Angsana is not worth the money. Dining room is almost like a cafeteria. Food not great.

Staff however, we're all pleasant.

Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com

Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

I am currently still here at the Resort and would like to warn all future visitors about the unethical way they handle room "deposits" and the credit card you entrust them with. I have stayed in hotels around the world and I am aware that it is common practice for a hotel to request for your credit card, take an image and charge slip, to hold as a deposit. They normally void it upon check-out if there are no charges but they ALWAYS request your permission to do any charge/transaction to your card me they always only do a single verification transaction on the card upon check-in.

Angsana Bintan Resort & Spa apparently practices a different policy. As usual, when I checked in yesterday, my credit card was requested as a security deposit. I was shown the charge slip which I did not sign. I was also notified later by my bank via sms that a charge was made to my card..which was strange since it was not technically a charge, but since I saw the knew about the deposit, I didnt think anything was amiss.

On my 2nd day, ie this morning, I received another SMS from my bank informing me of another charge by Angsana Bintan to my credit card. As I had already "paid" the deposit, I called the front desk about the 2nd charge. They said that it was their policy that they AUTOMATICALLY do another "charge" to the card if my room charges had exceeded the initial "charge". However, my argument is simple. Regardless of the reason, the card owners' permission must always be sought before making any transaction on the card. Second, since it is merely a deposit, there is no valid reason for them to have to "top up" any charges to the card based on my actual expenses. By pure definition a deposit is left on goodwill and doesnt need to reflect actual expenses.

It can technically be considered credit card fraud as the second transaction was done without my consent.

I have complained to the manager on duty and also requested them to void the 2nd "charge". I have also had to get them to call my bank to verify that there were no charges to my card. Thankfully and hopefully, there were no actual charges to my card and I will only settle the amount when I check-out, and void the deposit (which is the practice I am used to). For an established chain which also runs the Banyan Tree to practice such unethical behavior using the credit cards entrusted to them is unacceptable. If it is a policy, then please inform your customers beforehand. But to do so behind your customers' backs and then call it your hotel policy, is tantamount to criminal behavior!

Stayed December 2012
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Stayed in Angsana Bintan for 2 nights in end Nov and was quite disappointed with the Food & Beverage service. What's even more dissapointing is that there was NO ackowledgment or apology even after stating it in their electronic survey.

The least, I hope, the management takes the reviews seriously and conduct necessary coaching for the Associates concerned.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Izix

Thank you very much for your comments posted on Trip advisor during your recent stay at Angsana Bintan. It is with much regret I hear about the unfortunate circumstances you experienced which you highlighted at the Electronic survey.

I do apologize for the shortfall of service with regards to the dining experience at the restaurants. Please rest assured that I have shared this with the Director F&B and have come up with an action plan to improve the level of service. It is our objective to meet the expectations of our customers and I am sorry that in this particular case we have failed. We take every review in whatever form received extremely seriously.

We wish we would have the chance to provide you an overall much more pleasant and memorable experience and do truly hope you may give Angsana BIntan yet another chance in the future.
We would certainly be delighted to welcoming you back and be of service to you again.

Once again I would like to thank you for providing us with your feedback as it is only through the opinions and inputs of our customers that we can properly access and improve our performance. We very much hope that you will return again to our hotel and I would be delighted to take care of any requirements you may have on future visits to Angsana Bintan.

Sincerely your,

Ilias Vamvakas
Hotel Manager
Angsana Bintan
Singapore, null, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We were staying in a sea view one bedroom suite and the view was breathtaking. Upon arrival we were given a very warm welcome and we had a smooth and fast check in. Travelling with a small kid of 3 year old, the hotel kids club ensured that my daughter was kept busy and taken care of while we the parents got our time together roaming around and enjoying the spa.Overall I must comment on the excellent service of the staff who were always there to cater to our needs with a smile on their face and friendly nature. The lotus cafe has a wide variety of choices to pick from, however if you are a vegetarian then you might need to get your meal customized to your needs, which the resort staff are happy to do. The rooms are spacious and clean with decent decor and amenities. The beach is very nice, clean and private and the best thing about it was that we could just cross over the garden area and reach the beach in 2 mins. On the whole we had a very good experience at Angsana Bintan and would definitely recommend people to try out this place. However during this time of the year, it monsoons but we were fortunate to get two days without rain, but our 3 day was spoiled because of rain. Its recommended to visit Bintan during May-June. On the whole it was a relaxing and nice vacation at Angsana, and could be even better if the resort adds some more activities for the kids and some water sports which was missing although we were particularly not interested in water sports for this holiday.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor to get unobstructed view of the sea.