“Great value, nice city get away, unspoiled” 4 of 5 stars

Putri Pandan Resort
Jalan Sumpat | Desa Pengudang, Riau Islands Province 29152, Indonesia   |
Ranked #9 of 20 Bintan Island B&B and Inns
Madison, Wisconsin
“Great value, nice city get away, unspoiled”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

Far from all the glitzy resorts. Quiet, peaceful, treated us like kings, inexpensive food but extremely tasty food. Rooms were big but not necessary because why sit in the room on an island? The locals are all very friendly. You wake up over looking the ocean. I would recommend to anyone except someone expecting a totally modernized place. Best weekend in a long time.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Indonesian first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

Prior to reaching Putri Pandan, I have to admit that my expectations were not very high. This was especially so after viewing the photos of the place on its website. However, the sea view upon arrival set the tone for the whole trip - it was simply quite a stunning sight to behold. The gleaming clear blue waters and the great looking resort huts just made me want to check in quickly and explore the place without wasting further time.

Please note that if one is looking for comfort beyond basic needs, Putri Pandan will not be the place for you. There is NO internet, air-con, TV and electricity is so-called existent during certain hours of the day. In spite of the claim that hot shower is provided, my room certainly did not have hot water throughout our stay there. Other than this, the room is basically very clean and spacious, with a great view of the sea.

Activities are also limited when it comes to watersports or clubbing. There is only one restaurant in the whole compound and while the flies can be a constant disturbance, the quality of the food more than makes up for the inconvenience. The highlight of the whole trip is definitely the great sea views and the ability to walk to Sumpat island when the tide is low. Beautiful stars also litter the night skies, providing a no-frills type of back to basics relaxation for us.

On the whole, Putri Pandan is highly recommended for:
1) Great sea view
2) Tranquility away from the stressful city life
3) Private beach
4) Beautiful stars
5) Friendly and approachable staff
6) Nice tasting food
7) Back to basics lifestyle

IMPORTANT: Due to the high possibility of being harassed by the numerous sand flies, mosquitoes, flies and other creepy crawlies at Putri Pandan, it is recommended to bring along mosquito coil as well as insect repellent with DEET. The level of enjoyment can be at times frustrating with all the bite-marks one may suffer throughout the course of stay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

I'm not sure how new the resort is, but when we arrived, the entire bungalow we were shown to had just been creosoted! Creosote was dripping all over the floor from the front door and from the roof in the bathroom. We couldn't touch anything otherwise we'd be coated in it as well! The place was fully booked so we couldn't move to another room.
Electricity to the resort was supplied by two generators which were only powered up at certain times of the day. No aircon - only a fan you can use occasionally (when there's electricity). You can hear your neighbours very clearly through the single wood panel wall, so not really that private either.
BUT - and this is a really big 'BUT' - the location is stunning! The bungalows sit about 3 metres from the shoreling (at high tide). They have a wonderful, traditional charm about them and had been quite tastefully fitted.
Sumpat Bay is exceptionally tranquil and gently shelving, so the tide comes and goes very noticeably. When it's out you can walk for miles (but take plenty of DEET, because the sandflies are everywhere).
The staff are friendly and the restaurant at the resort is good, so for me the good far outways the bad. This is a place to come if you need to do nothing and really get away from it all.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

I was there with 4 young kids for two nights and we took 2 rooms. All the rooms were very near to the sea. The beach was clean and water was crystal clear. The children had good time playing under the sun for hours. A total relaxing place far far away from the busy and hectic city life. No Aircon, No TV, No radio, No internet and No electric from 6am to 6pm.

The room had only basic amenities. Toilet was clean with seated toilet bowl. Only one main power point and that is for the fan. Pls bring your international adapter, otherwise, you can't even charge your camera. All of our transactions were in Singapore dollars, don't bother to change to ruppiah. Staff were kind and obliging. Breakfast only starts at 8am. People with kids, please bring along some biscuits. Taxi fare from ferry terminal to resort is about sgd 80 for to n fro. The car can fit 6 to 7 passengers.

You can hear your neighbour talking. So, do try to be very quite.

The first night was wonderful as all the 14 rooms were fully booked. Unfortunately, we were the only one left, on our last night. Kind of scary, as the staff were staying about 150m away from the chalet. Their dogs were fighting ferociously that night.

We went to the river spa and it was splendid. Do try to have lunch at Mutiara Bintan. Apparently, their food is better there. They can fetch for free :) Do not miss it.

Summary : Please do not compare Putri Pandan to the other resorts. Affordable, peaceful and quiet. It can be very warm, sticky and sandy all day. Do bring along Sun block, Sand Fly repellent (not mosquitoes), medicated ointment , light clothings, sun hat and don't forget your shades.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

A 3 days 2 nights getaway from our busy work schedules. A resort with basic amenities, no internet, no air-con, etc but peace and tranquility. Nice spacious bungalow room and a nice attached bathroom with tiled flooring for some added comfort. Great services from the staff and a cosy restaurant to fill our hungry stomachs. Marvelous fine white sand, we were able to walk the 2 miles to the island at low tide and saw the local fishermen at work. The sea water is clear and many marine/coral life like crabs & starfish. Will definitely be back again!

• Liked — spacious, neat and clean
  • Disliked — electricity power limited from 7pm till early morning only, but its okay
  • Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

Putri Pandan Resort is located in a remote location about 45 minutes from the Ferry terminal away from all the fancy and expensive resorts. For those looking for a quiet beach holiday with basic but modern facilities this is the best place to go. What came to my mind is that I was on castaway island. My room (all rooms are) was right on the beach and I could enjoy the sounds of crashing waves from my room and the most stunning view of the shoreline and outlying island. The place simply consists of a row of huge huts along the beach and a restuarant.
Upon arrival at the ferry terminal a dedicated driver was waiting for me, the drive to the resort was interesting passing through the various villages and towns along the way, including seeing some exotic farms which I would never see back home such as pineapple farms. Upon arrival I was given a welcome drink and shown to my room and the resort was exactly as I expected - remote with modern but basic accommodation. I eventually met the owner Ian who really could not have been more helpful to me as I had arrived sick from Singapore with a tummy bug and Ian (the owner) offered me local medicines and food he believed could help me and continually checked to see if I was okay and also never charged me for any of the medicine or food provided. Unfortunately for me due to my illness I could not take advantage of all the resort had to offer. I was offered motorbike rental to explore the villages and a boat trip to the island. I spent about half of my vacation in my room enjoying the seabreezes and watching the crashing waves while getting better. Ian speaks good English and I had many long chats with him which really gave me an insight into indonesian life and Indonesia as a country. I found that all the staff were very friendly towards me and although English was limited with patience we were able to understand each other and have meaningful conversations. On my last day I got lie in the hammock sipping fresh coconut juice under the sun - nothing could be better. As for restuarant the food I had was basic but excellant and service was with a smile.
In a nutshell for those looking for rustic beach holiday with total peace in a stunning setting this is the place to go. In addition if you want you can also talk to the staff and learn more about life in Indonesia.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

Bintan seems to be the playground for Singaporeans looking to have a little break from the city and as such it can be flashy and expensive. The Putri Pandan Resort is a little gem, tucked away outside of the Bintan resorts enclosure and far from the sun visor, big padded wallet tourism that seems to frequent Bintan.
How you view Putri Pandan will very much depend on whether you are looking for a quiet break, no frills, no luxury, just a bit of a Robinson Crusoe experience, which we were and we had a lovely time. But if you are looking for the service and standards one comes to expect from living in Singapore, then my advice is.........pay the appropriate amount and go somewhere else.
The Putri Pandan is very inexpensive, so there are no big excursions, no aircon, no wi fi, things at the Putri Pandan move slowly, it can be a little disorganised, the showers aren't full pressure all day, sometimes they run out of ice and your afternoon Sprite is a little warm, the food may come 5 minutes apart- probably due to the fact that everything seems to be cooked by just one amazing lady- but the location is beautiful, the people that work there are charming and caring, the rooms are clean with a soundtrack of the ocean, the food is delicious and so you just relax and go with it.
My advice is take a good book and mozzie repellant. Go on the boat trip to see the sea gypsies, we found it absolutely intriguing and quite humbling. At low tide walk over to the opposite island and just mooch about.
On the way back to the ferry terminal, we asked our very sweet and chatty taxi driver if we could stop off somewhere to buy a few souveniers, he took us to the tourist market and we spent about 15 minutes there, just the right amount of time before hustling back out again!! We got a few bits and pieces but were suddenly very glad that we had managed to avoid the tourist hot spots and see a bit of the real Bintan.
We had a very relaxing and chilled 4 days at the Putri Pandan and would definitely recommend it, but don't go if you are expecting more than you paid for. I really want to make that clear because I was slightly mortified to see some guests acting intolerably as if they were staying at the Hilton. It was unpleasant to see and made me really cross with every further demand that was made. Relax and enjoy.........you'll have a wonderful time. We did.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Putri Pandan Resort? Share your experiences!