Just returned from a 2D1N at this hotel, which "designated" itself a 4 stars joint. But on the overall impression after the stay is that it's a hotel that's pass it's prime.
Sure, all hotels have good and bad points that influence one's enjoyment of the place. The following is my honest objective in easy point forms:
1) Reasonably spacious room
2) Basic and cozy with free WIFI...but somewhat slow upload. Do it at the ground floor level for better connection.
3) Polite and efficient staff - I asked on 3 occasion for extra towels, pillows, shampoo/bath foam..the housekeeping answered promptly and delivered within their promised 5min. 2 thumbs up !
4) Location: Golden Prawn Restaurants within steps (it's the same owner with the hotel, I believe, part of the ambitious Golden City project)
5) Amenities -fair swimming pool, kids play room, karaoke, massage, etc.
6) Sport facilities within minute transport with hotel bus : Flying fox, tag paintball, Go Kart, etc.
This was what got us to stay with the hotel. But there is no connection or special guest privilege,...you pay for what you do. Like an a la carte menu.
7) Reasonably good breakfast spread (in view of the hotel rates)
8) Felt safe and peaceful environment (but if you stay during business family day, convention,...it's another story. That's life)
9) Ready taxi service to town centre (Nagoya Hill Mall, about 20min, each way) with fixed taxi fares (no cheating)
10) Reasonable Hotel room rate
1) The SMELL ! there's a strange odour in the room that never seems to go away...sort of like a moldy, musky stench,...after aircon were switched on...it's dissipated slightly, but never go away. Perhaps we got used to it already...but those newly arrived will be "hit" by the smell.
Even the towels smelt weird...awful !
2) Moldy ceiling...it's ok for 1 night stay...just can't help feeling it's moldy...compounding the old feeling.
3) The bath tub material is the somewhat thin surface type, be gentle.
4) We switched from a deluxe to superior room, as our kids wanted the pool view (deluxe faces the sea in the distance, but not much of a view) ...and "lost" the use of a in-room safe. This is BAD !!!
So that you see, the hotel has more positives than negatives...it's a reasonably hotel...just tolerate that smell...
The deluxe room (facing the sea) is better. To get rid of strange smell, open the door & window...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Warmest Greetings from Golden View Hotel Batam, A Perfect Place for Business and Relaxation.
Thank you for taking time to give us your review and feedback. We are glad that you had an overall enjoyable experience during your stay with us.
I would like to take this opportunity to apologize on behalf of Golden View hotel with regards to your expectations about our room conditions. I would also like to clarify that Golden View is currently going through a complete renovation – in phases, in order to serve you better. We will also take the necessary actions to eradicate the stale air in the rooms.
Finally, thank you once again for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back to a brand new Golden View Hotel Batam.
Golden View Hotel Team
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.