“Clean room but unfriendly staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Batam

Save Saved
You added Mercure Batam to your Saves list
Mercure Batam
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Raden Patah 12, Riau Islands Province 29432, Indonesia   |
Ranked #37 of 68 hotels in Batam
Singapore, Singapore
“Clean room but unfriendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I booked the room facing the pool. They had no more non smoking rooms thus we got the one on level 6th- smoking room. It does not have the stinky smokey smell- thank goodness.

Upon reaching, the bellboy did not even offer to help us with our luggage and shopping bags. We had to juggled all the bags up ourselves.

The male reception was quite friendly, and checking in was efficient.

I decided to relax in the pool and sauna. Upon reaching the spa floor, there was this pungent smell there. Yucks. There was a small pool, with many dead insects floating. And so I only swam a good 15 min. We went over to the hot and cold tub but could not go in either of the pool as it was too hot (i could have boiled my self) and the other was icy cold. We skipped those too.

The room was clean and spacious. The toilets had a bathtub attached, and it was clean too. Very cute shampoo and soap were provided.

At night, we ventured to the left to the Pizza Hut to get dinner, Its about 10 min walk. To the right of the hotel, you can find a small 24hr kind of 711 store and a pharmacy.

The next morning, we woke up early for breakfast and were the first few to arrive. The lady waitress did nit even acknowledge our arrival and did not even look up to us. We looked around and it was quite a spread. We enjoyed breakfast. But, the funny thing is, all the other staff of the hotel, including the waitresses and waiters were taking food there too. I do not know if that is the arrangements there but hey it really do not look professional for a 4 star hotel to have patrons and staff side by side getting breakfast food on the same spread.

The next day, we checked out efficiently, and tool the shuttle service at 1.30pm to Nagoya Hills Mall. We then took a cab there to Batam Centre- it cost us 60000 rupiah.

Although the staff need alot of HR trainings, I will still come here as the hotel room is clean and delicious food served. work on the staff though! I think only the reception- the Philipine lady and the Indo man were polite. :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6178, General Manager at Mercure Batam, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience at the Mercure Batam Hotel.
First and foremost, I would like to extend my sincere apologies for unfortunate experience during your stay with us recently.
We are deeply concerned and share your disappointment with service you received from some of our team members. The issues you encountered clearly identify areas where improvements are needed hence we thank you for bringing these up to our attention so that appropriate steps may be taken to avoid recurrence. Likewise, we will take your feedback as a motivating tool to ensure our service levels are constantly according to Mercure standards. At Mercure, we aim to provide the highest level of service to all of our guests thus you can be assured that your comments have been shared with the relevant department heads and appropriate action and training will be taken to ensure that our entire team consistently maintains a warm, positive and professional demeanor when dealing with guests.
We are delighted to note your satisfaction with the convenient location of our hotel, size and cleanliness of your room.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with us and we hope you could give us the opportunity to show you the improvement and provide you with the real Mercure service on your next trip to Batam.

Please feel free to contact me directly should you plan to visit Batam in the near future and I will personally arrange your stay with us.

HERU WIBOWO

201 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Indonesian first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Book thrus deal.com for 2 days 1 night trip to batam, upon arrival greet by the excellent batam tour guide follow by 1/2 day tour which is included in the package. I would say the half day trip to various tourist attraction at batam was not too bad, check in to the hotel in the evening fast check-in, front office staff and conceige are polite and friendly. Our room was located at level 2 corner room, we enter the room everything was fine we unpack our stuff happily watching the tv show till 5 mins later the tv screen start flashing and the screen become black. We called the operator and was informed that the technician is currently fixing the problems... double check with neighbour next door yes confirm they are facing the same problem... Well luckily we downloaded some show and watch from Hp instead... Called room service for menu very efficient pass to me in less than 3 mins, ordered 1 fish and chips & 1 seafood soup, quite fast ard 15 mins but food quality was quite bad, fries not crispy the whole plate was so oily they did not drain the oil before placing the fish and chips? Cost 145200RP including 21% service charge and tax... ok check on the tv every hour but still not working till mid night... Ok I give up !!! Next morning the tv is back to normal but too bad checking out at 12 noon fast check-out too. Overall jus a average hotel the price I pay for including 2 ways ferry + hotel transfer + accommodation + day tour + lunch so I would say still worth it.

• Stayed May 2013
6178, General Manager at Mercure Batam, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

We sincerely appreciate your time and effort in bringing up the issues you encountered during your stay, as constructive comments like yours enable us to recognize areas where improvements are needed. Kindly accept our apologies for the disappointment and inconvenience caused.

Please rest assured that the department managers concerned have been briefed to improve on the food quality and likewise on the interrupted supply of TV channel in the room due to some problem for the TV channel supplier, we have tried to make impairments as low as possible but please take our apologies if you still experience any distractions if any disturbance it.

It is a truly pleasure to hear that you found our front office staff and concierge are friendly and your kind words have been passed to them, this will certainly motivate them to keep up the good work.

We appreciate your valuable feedback, as it is through guest’s constructive comments like yours that we are able to identify areas of improvement to consistently provide the best service experience for all of our guests.

Thank you and we hope you could give us another opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Best regards,
Heru Wibowo
Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The room given, in the wing facing swimming pool, very spacious BUT was very run down & aged, simply no way near the standard of other Mercure hotel that I had stayed before. Pool is super small, but the gym is well equipped though. Sauna, Steam & Jacuzzi available (complimentary), but it is shared/unisex type. The second morning when I was there, i was informed that they are running out of towel, very unprofessional. Very slow wifi available on ground floor only, not in room.
Location is not bad, about 15mins walk to Nagaya Mall, or pay 5,000 to get a motor-taxi, or pay 2000 to take the minibus. I paid 30K to get to hotel from Harbour Bay though.

Pros: Location, bed is comfortable, marginally clean.
Cons: Aging room, small pool, no wifi in room.

Room Tip: Was told room in another wing is better, no chance to confirm it..
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
6178, General Manager at Mercure Batam, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Sincerely our beloved guest,

Please accept our sincere apologies for unfortunate experience during your stay recently. Thank you for your feedback about our rooms, for your information last renovation on our hotel rooms was in 1997 before joining Mercure brand and we are now in progress designing mock up rooms for next renovation.

Concerning towels issue in swimming pool please rest assured that we will investigate and taking the appropriate measures to address the problems you mentioned. And at the moment WI-Fi only available on ground floor for lobby, lounge and restaurant, but we provided cable internet in the room also have free access option.

We hope this experience will not alter your confidence in Mercure Batam Hotel and that we hope you will give us another opportunity to make your stay the best it can be.

Best regards,
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights... Everything was okay but too many smokers... No fresh air... Almost all the hotel guest are smoking in and our door... Breakfast was okay but food had turned cold if you come down late.. Hopefully next time when return, there will be no more guest smoking from In-Door...

Plus Point:
1) Lots of TV programme (e.g: National Geographic, Cartoon Network, Fashionista & many more)
2) Free Shuttle Service to Nagoya Hill & Batam shopping centre. (Only 1 timing) 1:30pm

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
6178, General Manager at Mercure Batam, responded to this review, April 6, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and comment for your recent stay at our hotel.

We are very pleased to read that you are enjoy your stay and happy with our services. It is always encouraging for us to learn that our guests are satisfied with our services as it is what we strive for everyday and this will certainly motivate us to keep up the good work.

Your positive comment will pass on to the team which definitely will motivate them to provide better services.

Thank you for your suggestion to work on smoking section solution, we have plan to extend our restaurant to open space garden beside the existing restaurant, hopefully this can be finalize and follow up soon.

Thanks again to recommend us to other traveler and we all look forward to welcoming and serving you again soon on your next visit to Batam.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is my 2nd visit to Mercure Batam. I was expecting the same standard of service and overall experience I had like during my first visit last year. To my dismay, they failed to deliver.

I booked thru booking.com and followed up an e-mail to them stating that I require a hotel transfer from Batam Center. However when I arrived at Batam Center, the transfer service was no where to be found. I had to call them up to fix a transfer and only arrived 20 minutes later.

The journey to the hotel took another 35 minutes. It seemed that the driver was trying to be a smart alec by taking a shortcut to avoid jams. But in vain, we were still stuck in the bad traffic.

When we reached the hotel, the front desk staff did not even know what reservation I was talking about. She had to check, and re-check again. I deposited an amount of rp1500000 for my 2nights stay. I am sure that the amount of rp1500000 was more than enough for my 2 Nights stay inclusive of breakfast and room service.

To my dismay, I was told i needed to pay cash for my breakfasts on the morning itself. Also needed to pay cash for room service. They could just charge it to my room and deduct from my rp1500000. I tried to feedback this to the staff but their replies were unsatisfactory.

On the first night as I was watching the TV, there was a sudden power failure / blackout on the entire floor where my room was, level 2. It lasted for a good 20 minutes before I decided to head down to the front office to notify the unaware staff for a rectification.

Breakfast was okay. However I couldn't find a single fork. I had to ask and keep asking til they understood.

The pool counter staff were quite rude when we wanted a towel for a swim in the tiny pool.

On the 2nd day I wanted to make a simple trip to a recommended massage parlour and nagoya mall. Their driver Mr Dodi tried to cheat my money. The plan was a simple one:

Hotel->OCBC atm-> massage parlour-> Nagoya Hill Mall-> Back to Hotel. He quoted rp120000!

So i decided that i did not want to go to the massage parlour. I agreed on just:

Hotel->OCBC atm-> Nagoya Hill Mall-> Back to Hotel. And in the end we were quoted rp100000! What a ripoff!

Did not argue much and paid up. Pledging never to come back to Mercure again.

Overall Mercure Batam has led me down and disgusted me in many ways. Right from the transfer, hotel front desk, breakfast, pool staff and taxi staff.

Last but not least, now that I am back at my homeland. I received an e-mail from booking.com stating that I MIA-ed from the hotel and did not turn up for the reservation. What nonsense is this? Mercure did not convey to booking.com that I had stayed with them. currently booking.com is demanding a cancelling fee of USD115. Well done Mercure :))))))))

This is my last ever visit. Bad bad reputation Mercure. You've just one of your customers. Wait till this "great" news spread to my relatives and friends.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6178, General Manager at Mercure Batam, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Mr. Kongster,

Please accept my deepest and sincere apologies for your unfortunate experience during your recent visit. Please rest assured that we will investigate and taking the appropriate measures to address the problems you mentioned.

After thorough investigation I will report to you and write to your personal email. We appreciate you sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again and better serve you in the near future.

singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

i was very confident of a comfortable stay based purely on the parent brand name and the property lived up to my expectations.
we were duly impressed by the front desk staff who gave us a prompt check iand allocated a room according to our request i.e not facing the main road.

the room is very decent sized with very comfortable beds and clean linen.the furniture needs a coat of warnish as the dating of the furniture is very noticeable. the bath room is well fitted with a long bath and wash basin. but for some reason only bath toowels are provided and not the face towels.there ia safe in the room but it would be more practical to locate the safe at a higher level as one has to virtually sit on the floor to access it. bath room amenities were basic but there should be two of each item if it is a twin room. maybe the bath gel can be shared but a comb and toothbrush and slippers...... surely these ought to be in doubles.

location wise i found it to be acceptable but many peope were complainig about the the hotel being located away from the shopping and eateries area. this i suppose it would depend upon the purpose one is in batam .this location is quiet.relatively. the major shopping centres are within two kms away but the taxi operators in batam charge IDR40k one way, which is pretty expensive.

breakfast is excellent with a generous spread covering local and western items.the layout is well planned to avoid congestion and the staff were always smiling and willing to go the extra mile.

overall the staff of this property are impressive - sniling, helpful and responsive.

the property is very suitable for all types of travellers,including families.

Room Tip: if you want quiet request room facing away from the main road.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
6178, General Manager at Mercure Batam, responded to this review, March 16, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and comment for your recent stay at our hotel.

Thank you for your suggestion to put the safe box to the higher place we will look the possibility and for additional bathroom amenities can be request according to the guest's need. For your information, we provided free shuttle service on daily basis (this information is posted in the lobby) at 1.30PM and 4.30PM to the closest shopping malls Nagoya Hill and BCS Mall, 2 hours advance reservation is required. Maybe you can use this facility for your next visit.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Nothing much to complain about this hotel at all.Location was pretty good. Its within a walkable 1 km from major batam shopping joints (Nagoya shopping centre). Room was spacious and huge and warm shower with nice suite of toiletries is a nice touch.

Facilitates are a great as well. Pool and gym facilities are well maintained.Sauna and steam room available as well. Jacuzzi water could be cleaner but that is more due to the inconsiderate users not showering before entering the waters if anything. Breakfast is normal, nothing fancy but service staff are polite and refills are quite frequent.

The hotel i believe is going through some sort of a upgrade. In the end the only sore points were the fact that there were no wifi in the room and no access to fox sports (crucial to me since i am a huge football fan)

All in all an excellent stay. Will minor tweaks this place would be perfect.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6178, General Manager at Mercure Batam, responded to this review, March 12, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and comment for your recent stay at our hotel.

For your information, we just upgraded our TV channels now with 56 channels including Fox Sport News and Star Sport channels, Wi-Fi in the room being finalize to be develop.

Abdul Malik Azhary

Been to Mercure Batam? Share your experiences!