“Nice ambience, service with smiles” 3 of 5 stars

The Centro Hotel and Residence
Jl. Central Raya No. 08, Riau Islands Province, Indonesia   |
Ranked #49 of 75 Hotels in Batam
WdlandsDriveSingapore
“Nice ambience, service with smiles”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I like to stay here because of the quiet surroundings. Room is bright, well lit. I always choose the Studio Balcony room. Room is spacious, have balcony, safebox, fridge, kitchenette and bath tub. The staff from the front desk to the F&B are accommodating, very friendly and they recognised their regular guests. Compliments to Desi, Iwan, Damo and the other staff for their warmth reception.

This was my 4th time here & the room they provided was as usual neat & clean (my luck, maybe) except the toilet which was also clean but there’s some sewage odour. The bedsheets and towels were also clean. However, the utensils at the kitchenette left behind by the previous guest were not cleaned. Breakfast provided was average.

PLUS POINT:-

Hotel provides free transfer from Batam Centre to Hotel at specific timings.

The hotel is well secured. Each staircase which leads to your room is secured with gate and access card. Not advisable to those who have problems with walking & climbing up staircases. There are no elevator.

Hotel also provides the purchase of ferry tickets by Wavemaster at cheaper rate. Payments to be settled at the hotel reception counter upon arrival. Contact the manager Mr. Iwan for more details.

Hotel is just a walking distance to the Kepri Mall.

NOTE to management: Please look into the cleanliness of the kitchenette. Your staff should take the initiative to check and clean the kettle and utensils for the next check-in guest.

I will consider to coming back here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with bath tub if you need it. Only Studio and Studio Balcony come with bath tub.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Fey S, General Manager at The Centro Hotel and Residence, responded to this review, September 10, 2014
Dear Ms. Nora,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a feedback to The Centro Hotel & Residence. We truly value your opinions and we are honored that we have delivered a good impression that meets to your expectations. Even there're some issues that we need to "pay attention" but we are trying to improve our service better and better. Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission. Thus we'll do our best to show the improvement as you're expected when you come back to Batam.

Once again thank you for your good feedback, we do hope that you could share the valuable experience during your stay with us to your family and colleagues. We are waiting to have you back and stay with The Centro Hotel & Residence on your next visit to Batam and wish you the very best.

F.Soraya
The Centro Hotel & Residence by Orchardz - Batam

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I stayed here over the weekend on 14 June 2014. I am a regular visitor in Batam and this is the first time that I stayed at this hotel due to most of the hotel that I have frequented was fully booked. The first turned off is that this hotel has no lift. We were given the room on 3rd floor. I thank god that my aunt did not come with us, I just cant imagine the trouble she have to go thru to climb the half steep and half spiral staircase in order to reach our room.

The room, no doubt have cooking facilities but no table for us to eat, if only we really want to cook. Hahaha..then have to eat on the bed. The bellboy was trying to impress us with the cooking facilites but it doesnt make us happy after panting climibing the steep staircase.

The worst part is the toilet. The shower area was flooded with water due to poor sewerage. They have place a toilet to help absorb the water and the towel is filty dirty. I didnt ask to change a room not to be far from my family next door. Luckily we do not use the toilet much, by the time we need to use it, it was already dry.

The floor of the room seems like not being sweep, you can feel remnants of sand if you walk barefoot. There were patches on the bedsheet and towel, like it was not clean well. I wonder what is the chambermaid doing?

My family room also have some problem. The aircon leaked and they woke up to a small puddle of water next to their bed. Eventhough the hotel is barely 1 year plus in operation, it seems like it is an old hotel.

Breakfast is expected to be pethatic, the gave me an 'old' egg when I requested for a boil egg. Yucks! Turn me off to eat the other food. I didnt make a fuss over this cause not to create embarassment for the waiteress.

The only plus point is the front office staff is very helpful.

Room Tip: Do not stay here, all room you have to climb up a staircase, but if you have to, travel light so not...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Mrs.Aidah,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Centro Hotel & Residence. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations.
We have improved our service to meet your expectation. We have addressed the issues you mentioned. We want you to know that we truly enjoy sharing our passion for our destination with visitors and want you to walk out the door feeling refreshed.

If you come back to our hotel, I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, so please ask for me. We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.

F.Soraya
The Centro Hotel & Residence by Orchardz - Batam
Singapore, null, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

The Centro Hotel and residences is a calm place to stay and very nice.
New hotel and you have a very good restaurant where you can have some good western food, which is very nice.

The rooms are quiet spacious and the staff are very courteous.

Room Tip: As superior room is ok
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Fey S, General Manager at The Centro Hotel and Residence, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear Mr. Pavikumar,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a feedback to The Centro Hotel & Residence by Orchardz. We truly value your opinions and we are honoured that we have delivered a good impression that meets to your expectations.

Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission, supporting facilities (restaurant, bar & lounge, fitness centre, swimming pool and meeting rooms) and location as nearest Hotel to Hang Nadim Airport Batam and Kepri Mall is one of our plus value to provide the guest needs for easy access for business and leisure purposes.

We do keep the calm & homey atmosphere to provide comfortable "residence" for our guests, western menus is indeed our best but we also provide Indonesian menus for other choices.

Once again thank you for your good feedback, we do hope that you could share the valuable experience during your stay with us to your family and colleagues. We are waiting to have you back and stay with The Centro Hotel & Residence by Orchardz on your next visit to Batam and wish you the very best.

Fey Soraya
The Centro Hotel & Residence by Orchardz
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

On first look, the hotel seemed to have the latest furnishings and decoration. However, as i stayed there for the night, i realised that the finishings were of rather poor quality. An example would be that though the hotel is new, the bath tub was not too user friendly and the knob to adjust the plug fell out. There was no way one could replace it as it would require a technician's assistance.

The bed was a little hard and the floor was cold at night, since it wasn't carpeted. However, the location is not too far from the nearby mall, though there is nothing much there to see either. There is a shuttle bus service available for those who are interested to go to the mall.

The food at the cafe was ok, with a good selection between western and local delights.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Just about 2 weeks back, I was in Batam with my family. We stayed at Gideon Hotel then, it was pretty decent. This time round, I wanted to try another hotel and after reading those good reviews about Centro, I decided to give it a try & I am not too sure if I made a good choice.. I am writing this while putting up at Centro.

Negative 1:
To avoid the crazy traffic from Singapore HarbourFront ferry terminal, we decided to go via Tanah Merah to Nongsa Point (Batam) instead of the traditional Batam Centre Ferry Terminal/ Sekupang. So right after booking from AsiaRoom.com, I wrote to the hotel asking for transfer from Nongsa to hotel, and as expected they didn't turn-up at Nongsa Point (after 2 reminder emails). When I was at Nongsa, I called them to ask about transfer, it took them more than 15mins to revert back to me (while I was stranded at the ferry terminal). So, we took a taxi from the ferry terminal to the hotel ourselves (cost around S$15 which was pretty decent, travel duration around 25mins).

Negative 2:
Check-in was fine, staff was polite & friendly & slightly apologetic. Got a free upgrade from studio (standard) to studio (executive) - the staff claimed that the (standard) was fully booked. No complain since we got a free upgrade for 4 nights.

However, upon entering our room, the air is stale and weird. It was very hot and warm. The electric cooker area was oily and not properly cleanse. I could see oil stains and splatter on the kitchen top & side wall. The upper cabinet still contain eggs, cooking oil and 1/2 packet of rice from the guests before us. The water boiler had water in it. The duvet has some blue stains at the bottom. The bathroom was hot and stuffy like the room - we basically had to ventilate the room but blasting the AC and opening the window. It wasn't at all pleasant. Worst of all, we woke up on the 2nd with a FREAKING COCKROACH on the wall & I am terrified of roaches! It was a COMPLETE NIGHTMARE waking up to that! So tell me about cleanliness.

Negative 3:
I read from other travelers' that the pool is quite some distance away, so I was prepared not to wear my bathrobe down. Then, we came to realize that the pool, gym & massage spa, is actually separately managed - it is not part of the hotel. They accept membership from locals and residences from around the compound. The hotel setup is not exclusive - it seems like some sort of mixed-development project on a common ground (hotel, residential, commercial + gym & pool).

So, you leave the hotel, cut through 2 blocks of shophouse, cross the road and then you will reach the pool/ gym/ spa (also known as the clubhouse). We are talking about a 5mins walk and it is not the kinda walk that is within the hotel compound.

Worst of it all NO BIKINI for ladies & NO (triangle) TRUNKS for guys allowed into the pool. You have to properly covered as in full piece swimwear (sea-shirt/ wetsuit style for ladies) and trunks wise, it has to be "squarish" looking or board-shorts i think would be fine too! Just bring conservative swim-wear. This is yet another BAD EXPERIENCE because Batam is a beach area and Bikinis are common in places like Turi Beach, Harris, Montigo but not here in Centro. Obviously, we cant use the pool since we didnt pack for such a occassion.

For families with KIDS, my advice is to STAY OUT of the children pool - why? Because the structure used to build the water slides and stuff are made of METAL & it is RUSTY!!! How unhygienic & unsafe, what is some kids are hurt it could lead to some serious complication!

So after reading all these negatives and you still think that it is okay, I shall share some positives with you.

Positive 1:
Daily 1 for 1 meal regardless of soup or mains which is quite a good deal. The food is not fantastic, but it is decent. The service staff are really friendly and service-oriented.

Positive 2:
Weekend free shuttle service to Kepri Mall & Nagoya Hill. However the Nagoya shuttle service is only limited to 2 slots while Kepri has like 4-5 slots. This service is only valid for weekend.

Positive 3:
Room is spacious but lack sitting space, we only had 1 chair! We had to call the housekeeping 3 times to get a 2nd chair because there were 2 of us. So its just 1 king bed + 1 chair. If you love to cook for holiday, then yes, fantastic! They provide pots, pans, plates, utensil etc. But no detergent & sponge non kitchen-towels - maybe that explains the mess. Oh, i forgot to mention that we requested the housekeeping to clean up the cooker area since it was greasy. We came back to a 1/2 clean-job and we gave up. We just keep out of that area & hope that there are NO MORE ROACHES!

For S$57/night, I am not sure.. Gideon cost about S$60/night for delux, much newer and much closer to amenities like hawker centre & shopping mall which is more interesting than Kepri in my humble opinion. I don't think this is a bad hotel, but I wasnt expecting this for sure. Cant decide to recommend or not, will leave it for your own assessment based on the points listed above.

Room Tip: We're staying at Room 323, at least we are looking into the green but it is right above the park...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I was very impressed on seeing the studio apartment cum residence Hotel when I browsed in the net and immediately called reception over phone to book a studio room at Batam Indonesia.
The hotel staffs are very kind & friendly with excellent customer service. The New studio room is very neat, clean spacious and equipped with light cooking facility like mini oven,hood, sink with kitchen cabinet and dressing wardrobe. Had Lunch and dinner at Restaurant and the food is very delicious, tasty and served by smiling waitress. The location is very convenient & near the Kepri shopping mall and closer to Batam center. Of-course free pick up and drop services at regular intervals have been provided. This hotel & Residence are highly secured with access card. The hotel and restaurant price is also very reasonable with value added service. The pool and club house is very good.
Finally it is a place of service with smile and excellent service & secured Residence Hotel and enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I got it via a tour from one of those deal sites. The place is nice but quiet. Not much of the shops around the area was open.

The room is very nice. I like how the security system for the door works. They have a mini stove in the room even.

Had my lunch and dinner at the restaurant which was having this 1 for 1 promotion on most things on its menu which I think was value for money. Though breakfast there was not much choices.

The spa was average though.

Overall we had an enjoyable stay there and would definitely return on our next visit to Batam,

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Centro Hotel and Residence? Share your experiences!