“Bare essentials” 3 of 5 stars

Jl. Central Raya No. 08, Riau Islands Province, Indonesia   |
Ranked #46 of 75 Hotels in Batam
“Bare essentials”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

On first look, the hotel seemed to have the latest furnishings and decoration. However, as i stayed there for the night, i realised that the finishings were of rather poor quality. An example would be that though the hotel is new, the bath tub was not too user friendly and the knob to adjust the plug fell out. There was no way one could replace it as it would require a technician's assistance.

The bed was a little hard and the floor was cold at night, since it wasn't carpeted. However, the location is not too far from the nearby mall, though there is nothing much there to see either. There is a shuttle bus service available for those who are interested to go to the mall.

The food at the cafe was ok, with a good selection between western and local delights.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Just about 2 weeks back, I was in Batam with my family. We stayed at Gideon Hotel then, it was pretty decent. This time round, I wanted to try another hotel and after reading those good reviews about Centro, I decided to give it a try & I am not too sure if I made a good choice.. I am writing this while putting up at Centro.

Negative 1:
To avoid the crazy traffic from Singapore HarbourFront ferry terminal, we decided to go via Tanah Merah to Nongsa Point (Batam) instead of the traditional Batam Centre Ferry Terminal/ Sekupang. So right after booking from AsiaRoom.com, I wrote to the hotel asking for transfer from Nongsa to hotel, and as expected they didn't turn-up at Nongsa Point (after 2 reminder emails). When I was at Nongsa, I called them to ask about transfer, it took them more than 15mins to revert back to me (while I was stranded at the ferry terminal). So, we took a taxi from the ferry terminal to the hotel ourselves (cost around S$15 which was pretty decent, travel duration around 25mins).

Negative 2:
Check-in was fine, staff was polite & friendly & slightly apologetic. Got a free upgrade from studio (standard) to studio (executive) - the staff claimed that the (standard) was fully booked. No complain since we got a free upgrade for 4 nights.

However, upon entering our room, the air is stale and weird. It was very hot and warm. The electric cooker area was oily and not properly cleanse. I could see oil stains and splatter on the kitchen top & side wall. The upper cabinet still contain eggs, cooking oil and 1/2 packet of rice from the guests before us. The water boiler had water in it. The duvet has some blue stains at the bottom. The bathroom was hot and stuffy like the room - we basically had to ventilate the room but blasting the AC and opening the window. It wasn't at all pleasant. Worst of all, we woke up on the 2nd with a FREAKING COCKROACH on the wall & I am terrified of roaches! It was a COMPLETE NIGHTMARE waking up to that! So tell me about cleanliness.

Negative 3:
I read from other travelers' that the pool is quite some distance away, so I was prepared not to wear my bathrobe down. Then, we came to realize that the pool, gym & massage spa, is actually separately managed - it is not part of the hotel. They accept membership from locals and residences from around the compound. The hotel setup is not exclusive - it seems like some sort of mixed-development project on a common ground (hotel, residential, commercial + gym & pool).

So, you leave the hotel, cut through 2 blocks of shophouse, cross the road and then you will reach the pool/ gym/ spa (also known as the clubhouse). We are talking about a 5mins walk and it is not the kinda walk that is within the hotel compound.

Worst of it all NO BIKINI for ladies & NO (triangle) TRUNKS for guys allowed into the pool. You have to properly covered as in full piece swimwear (sea-shirt/ wetsuit style for ladies) and trunks wise, it has to be "squarish" looking or board-shorts i think would be fine too! Just bring conservative swim-wear. This is yet another BAD EXPERIENCE because Batam is a beach area and Bikinis are common in places like Turi Beach, Harris, Montigo but not here in Centro. Obviously, we cant use the pool since we didnt pack for such a occassion.

For families with KIDS, my advice is to STAY OUT of the children pool - why? Because the structure used to build the water slides and stuff are made of METAL & it is RUSTY!!! How unhygienic & unsafe, what is some kids are hurt it could lead to some serious complication!

So after reading all these negatives and you still think that it is okay, I shall share some positives with you.

Positive 1:
Daily 1 for 1 meal regardless of soup or mains which is quite a good deal. The food is not fantastic, but it is decent. The service staff are really friendly and service-oriented.

Positive 2:
Weekend free shuttle service to Kepri Mall & Nagoya Hill. However the Nagoya shuttle service is only limited to 2 slots while Kepri has like 4-5 slots. This service is only valid for weekend.

Positive 3:
Room is spacious but lack sitting space, we only had 1 chair! We had to call the housekeeping 3 times to get a 2nd chair because there were 2 of us. So its just 1 king bed + 1 chair. If you love to cook for holiday, then yes, fantastic! They provide pots, pans, plates, utensil etc. But no detergent & sponge non kitchen-towels - maybe that explains the mess. Oh, i forgot to mention that we requested the housekeeping to clean up the cooker area since it was greasy. We came back to a 1/2 clean-job and we gave up. We just keep out of that area & hope that there are NO MORE ROACHES!

For S$57/night, I am not sure.. Gideon cost about S$60/night for delux, much newer and much closer to amenities like hawker centre & shopping mall which is more interesting than Kepri in my humble opinion. I don't think this is a bad hotel, but I wasnt expecting this for sure. Cant decide to recommend or not, will leave it for your own assessment based on the points listed above.

Room Tip: We're staying at Room 323, at least we are looking into the green but it is right above the park...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I was very impressed on seeing the studio apartment cum residence Hotel when I browsed in the net and immediately called reception over phone to book a studio room at Batam Indonesia.
The hotel staffs are very kind & friendly with excellent customer service. The New studio room is very neat, clean spacious and equipped with light cooking facility like mini oven,hood, sink with kitchen cabinet and dressing wardrobe. Had Lunch and dinner at Restaurant and the food is very delicious, tasty and served by smiling waitress. The location is very convenient & near the Kepri shopping mall and closer to Batam center. Of-course free pick up and drop services at regular intervals have been provided. This hotel & Residence are highly secured with access card. The hotel and restaurant price is also very reasonable with value added service. The pool and club house is very good.
Finally it is a place of service with smile and excellent service & secured Residence Hotel and enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I got it via a tour from one of those deal sites. The place is nice but quiet. Not much of the shops around the area was open.

The room is very nice. I like how the security system for the door works. They have a mini stove in the room even.

Had my lunch and dinner at the restaurant which was having this 1 for 1 promotion on most things on its menu which I think was value for money. Though breakfast there was not much choices.

The spa was average though.

Overall we had an enjoyable stay there and would definitely return on our next visit to Batam,

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jakarta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

A new good value hotel in Batam. Located at the back of Kepri Mall, a large shopping center, so it's very convenient walking from the mall back to the hotel. The position is close to a large intersection which made it very accessible from/to the airport. Eventhough Centro hotel is using a shophouse building altered into hotel rooms, the room quality surprised me. The room was clean, all with kitchenette and with studio apartment setting. Furnishing quality was still good because the hotel was new. The bathroom was large and furnished in good quality. Overall, a very satisfaction stay.

Room Tip: Choosing rooms facing the front of the hotel helps you avoid the noises (music and people chatting...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Coquitlam, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This is my first trip to Batam. On this trip, I had left up to my friend to make what ever hotel booking he could. Yes, there was steps to climb but Daniel took my baggage to the room for me and he made my stay even better by saying good morning, every day. The room was well done and it was very quiet. The pool that some of you complained about is not owned by the Hotel, so they have no say how it is operated. All the hotel did was make a deal with them so it's guests can use it's facility's. My only complaint was the breakfast buffet, food not being kept hot enough.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Booked through Groupon for a 2D1N stay. This was our first trip trip Batam .and it was a pleasant one. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. All of them serve with a ready smile, On the 2nd day we wanted to go to the spa, which was one block away, and it was raining very heavily. Without we asking for anything, the Receptionist readily arranged for transport to send us there and after driving us there, the driver gave us an umbrella so that we can walk through without getting wet. This might be small deeds but it really touched us. Thank You so much.
The room was spacious, neat and tidy. Food was good. Overall very satisfied.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Centro Hotel and Residence? Share your experiences!