“Good service and helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars

The Centro Hotel and Residence
Jl. Central Raya No. 08, Riau Islands Province, Indonesia   |
Ranked #34 of 67 hotels in Batam
Singapore, Singapore
“Good service and helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Booked through Groupon for a 2D1N stay. This was our first trip trip Batam .and it was a pleasant one. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. All of them serve with a ready smile, On the 2nd day we wanted to go to the spa, which was one block away, and it was raining very heavily. Without we asking for anything, the Receptionist readily arranged for transport to send us there and after driving us there, the driver gave us an umbrella so that we can walk through without getting wet. This might be small deeds but it really touched us. Thank You so much.
The room was spacious, neat and tidy. Food was good. Overall very satisfied.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

17 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

I chose this hotel as it has a kids pool with playground and since its newly opened, I expect a much better service but to my disappointment, my hotel requests via email was not replied and not met. The land transfer did not arrive until I call the hotel to check and we waited almost 20mins at the ferry terminal. There are no lifts to the rooms as its only 3 floors high but very inconvenient for my family which consist of 4 young girls aged 2-6yrs, traveling with a stroller and many luggage. Also, the stairway is very narrow and the hotel staff is rarely there to assist us. Breakfast was very complacent with minimum choices and we have to cross 2 minor roads to get to the pool at the clubhouse which was also open to public (water was dirty) and the toilets/shower-rooms there was horrendous. The playground really needs alot of repair works and it should not be opened at all with its hazardous condition. It's only a 5mins walk to the Keptis Mall but there was no proper pathway and walking with my kids alongside the road which was uneven was pretty dangerous. The room is spacious, well-equipt and pretty clean except for a spiderweb under the side table spotted by one of my girls. Room service was fast and efficient. Overall, I won't come back even if it was my last option.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Bad experience. Booked through groupon and was entilted for free 2 way land transfer. But have 2 wait 40mins for the pickup, if i Don't call the hotel no one knows that we are here.
2Nd no towel was provided. Had 2 wait 4 hours, if i don't call again no towel was given.
3Rd was charge ridiculously!

Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Got this through Groupon.

First, the positives - the staff were generally friendly, helpful and accomodating to our requests. It is a new hotel (4 months old?). Prices for food and drinks (even room service) were very reasonable. That's the end of any good comment for this place.

It has no lifts. Be prepared to carry your luggage up the stairs.
You will have to cross the lobby and walk across their carpark if you want to get to their pool. A local boy was traumatised when his entire leg got stuck in one of its benches by the poolside. Dangerous! It's playground is old and has rusty corners that caused my daughter to complain and leave (normally I will have to drag her out of the playground). We faced 3 power trips in our 2D 1N there. TV reception went out for most of the 1st day and 2nd day (they said it affected the whole area - not only their hotel).

Unforgettable hours:
9:30pm - the TV reception finally came on! We were so happy and tried to watch TV. But no! The live band can be heard very clearly from right below us. Kids had trouble falling asleep with the noise. I called the reception - they said it will end at 10:45pm.
About 10:00pm - the live band changed from English to their local language and sang with more gusto.
10:45pm - I called the reception again and was told that they end at 11pm instead. Too tired to argue.
11:10pm - Live band ended. Chatter and laughter from groups of people began. (It was a 3 storey building and the drinking/eating area was right below us! What do you expect?). I rolled around in frustration for at least 45 minutes until... thankfully I managed to fall asleep.
4:08am - Woken up by the roaring sound of my air-con and a blinking 'M' sign that I suppose stands for 'Malfunction'. Swtiched on the lights and found my luggage drenched from driping water from the air con.Frustrated and angry, I restarted the air-con and managed to get it working in a semi-state mode where it ran with much less power but much lesser noise.
7:20am - Aircon roared again. Restarted it and went for breakfast. Breakfast was ok but the food was left in the tray. No fuel under the tray to keep the food warm. Breakfast was 7 to 10 am but by 9:20am, the fruit drinks have ran out and not refilled. Cups were not clean.
9:30am - Back to hotel room to find out that the TV reception was disrupted once again. Left to face a grey TV screen and dripping air-conditioner.
11:30am - So, so, happy to check out! What a waste of my precious time!

Staff were also very nice and accomodating to fetch us earlier to our ferry terminal though.

Service: Good
Facilities: Terrible!! Live band and hotel rooms together?? What were you thinking?? Stuck in a room with no TV and a malfunctioned air conditioner. Basic necessities of accomodation not met.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

I booked the hotel through groupon and the reservation part was hell. I don't know why they took freaking long to settle a simple task and they are not proactive and efficient when it comes to reservation. I need to call and pester then over and over again prior to my trip which is just a day away because they did not reply my emails although it has been send a week ago.

Receptionist counter was not helpful. They were too busy till they forgot bout my tour, breakfast voucher and spa voucher. None of their stuff took the effort to pick us up from batam centre regardless of the fine print that stated "2 WAY LAND TRANSFER"

Apart from the customer service, the hotel room is superb. Spacious with a bathtub and a small kitchen near the entrance door. Tv channels was great. Location wise was good because the hotel is located at a 'less busy' environment which has a minimal of noise produce from vehicles, people and also from neighboring houses/shopping mall.

Singapore, null, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Well, firstly, to be fair, I do not know how good or bad the rooms are, me & my wife booked a room there for a short getaway...
After a poorly planned day tour which involves mostly the tour guide trying to sell us things or pre programming our minds to buy things... we were kinda exhausted and looking forward to the cozy rooms we see on their website...
However, they surprised us by telling us the room they reserved for us was out of order (they did not say what was wrong) they offered us free dinner and transport to another hotel under their name. At the restaurant, we were given the set lunch menu, not the dinner menu... This kinda made us pretty pissed as we were looking forward to the grill & BBQ food too... We did not bother to get into an argument as we were too tired... We quickly swallowed the grub and went on to the hotel they arranged for us...
We arrived at Venesia hotel and we were given a room, I quickly went for a relaxing shower but to my dismay, the drainage was faulty and the room got flooded, we called the front desk and asked them to send someone immediately...
They upgraded our room to premier deluxe and that sort of made our day slightly better.
To sum it all up, I would say their hotel looks good, service I would say is pretty up to standard, but they really need to understand that customers can't be bought over by giving free meals or free room upgrade...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

The Centro Hotel and Residence is more of an Apartelle/Inn than an actual hotel. It's a small square of apartment rows. Yet even though it is small compared to other hotels, everything about it is top notch. The rooms are quite large and spacious, with comfy beds. You have everything you need in there too, a refridgerator, a toilet with a bathtub, even an electric stovetop complete with all the kitchen utensils. Definitely a plus for me.

Another great thing about Centro is their food. The restaurant at the lobby called "Smoke BBQ" serves some amazing Western and European food, as well as your traditional Malay/Indo food. I don't know who the chef is, but he clearly knows what he's doing. The entrees are well-cooked and properly seasoned. Paying careful attention to detail, every aspect of each dish is well-thought out and expertly prepared. The best part is, it's really, really cheap. Try going on a Saturday when they have their "Buy 1 Take 1" promotion where anything you order A La Carte is duplicated for free, including some special drinks and beer. Even the band they got to play that night was great, played everything we threw at them via requests. Value for money right there, even given the amazing culinary quality. 5 of us split a $60SGD bill for an amazing feast of a dinner that we won't soon forget.

But what really sets Centro apart from other hotels is the level of service that they provide. Ask of them anything at all, and the staff will provide with smiles on their faces. Ask them to pick you up to and from places for free, and they are there on time. Ask them for a change of towels, and they are there at your door within minutes. The staff are friendly and chatty and will attend to your every need. Perhaps them being new and the hotel being small allows them to pay better attention to their clientele. Looking for a place to chill in Batam? Look no further. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Centro Hotel and Residence? Share your experiences!