“Luxury Feel At Affordable Rate!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay

Save Saved
You added Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay to your Saves list
Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Duyung, Sei Jodoh, Batu Ampar | Harbour Bay Complex, Riau Islands Province 29432, Indonesia   |
Special Rate
Ramadhan Package
Ranked #3 of 67 hotels in Batam
Singapore
“Luxury Feel At Affordable Rate!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Booked the hotel for a short stay with my family over the weekend. The hotel is a short walking distance from the ferry terminal. It was raining heavily that day but thank god for the sheltered bridge linking to the hotel! The hotel is also part of a mall which is still in its early stage so not much shopping or entertainment there. That's not a problem for us because the hotel is also not so far out to the Nagoya Shopping Mall which took us about 10-15minutes by cab (roughly RP40,000).

Entering the hotel was a little confusing for us. There are no signage informing us of the check-in counter or lifts leading to the hotel. We went down an escalator but that led us to the supermarket downstairs instead and we had to come back to where we came from. We had to carry our luggage (we were with a toddler) and stroller down a staircase.

There is a huge spa right in front of the hotel but you have to make an appointment as it can get pretty busy and full over weekend. So we decided to use the hotel’s spa instead. The masseuse that tended to me was friendly and chatty. Only thing is that the spa is right above the swimming pool and you can’t really relax when you can hear people chatting loudly beside the room as well as at the swimming pool area. I figured the rooms are that not sound proof. So don't expect a noise free spa if you planned on one!

Our room was on level 3 and i figure it was the smoking floor because the room smelt of cigarette lingering. We smelt like walking ashtrays afterwards. Haha. The shower floor is a little bit slippery. I had to hold onto my daughter from slipping while showering her. The breakfast range is pretty wide and the staffs there are attentive to our needs. The beds and pillows though was awesome! I slept like a baby.

Overall experience though Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay looks like a luxury hotel at very affordable room rates!

Despite the little flaws and minor setback, I still give it a two thumbs up.

Room Tip: avoid booking rooms on level 3 if you don't want to smell like a walking ashtray.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

159 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Indonesian first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Went to stay at Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay hotel during Sep. The hotel is just a 5 minutes walk from the Ferry Terminal. During booking I requested to have the room decorated to celebrate our wedding anniversary and birthday for my in law and they did a fantastic job in dressing up the room without any extra charges. We stay in the Grand Deluxe room and its was big and well maintain and clean. I think to mention is that one of the room the Aircon is not working properly. The hotel maintenance is also prompt to repair the WI-FI services when I did a feedback to them about not being able to connect to the free WI-FI. The Hotel is also close to the seafood centre where the seafood is cheap as compare to Singapore. We also took the hotel transport to 2 shopping mall in batam (Nagoya Hill and Kerpi Mall) and the transport counter ladies is also helpful in recommending which shopping mall to go to. Buffet Breakfast is average although it does provide the necessary food for you to enjoy the breakfast but more variety can be added. Overall a good hotel which I will recommend to others and will come back to the hotel to stay if I am going back to Batam as it is one of the better one as compare to the rest that I have stayed in.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Denny J, General Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay, responded to this review, September 30, 2013

Warm regards from Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay Batam!

Thank you for taking your precious time to record your comments on tripadvisor.com following your recent stay at Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay, Batam. We appreciate your comments and have been forwarded to our team to be shared among their team. Indeed it is a clean and nicely done hotel, centrally located in downtown and we often receive good comment regarding the service of our staff as we been conducted several training to maintain our standard.

It was our honor to be part of your wedding anniversary as well as in-law's birthday. It is our aim to make sure all of our guests are satisfy during their stay with us. As for your feedback about the AC and WiFi, we have informed the department concerned for the immediate improvement. We ensure you to have the best experience on your next visit.

Once again we do appreciate receiving your feedback as it is enables us to focus our continue improvement efforts. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay, Batam. Thank you.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

To summarize my stay in the hotel, it was a major disappointment.

I have stayed in Swiss-Belhotel Mangga Besar, Jakarta before (and to my delight); and Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay was pale in comparison.

The only thing that was worth mentioning was the location - it was conveniently located across the family terminal and was close to the Nagoya Hill Shopping Malls and other dining destinations.

The hotel reeked of cigarettes smokes as you entered the lobby. I was just thankful that the floor where I stayed was a non-smoking area. Check-in was okay other than the curt receptionist who attempted to complicate the entire process.

Room was thankfully clean and large. What happened in the room, however, was a major turn-off. The water heater was inconsistent - at a moment, the water would turn scorching hot only to turn cold on the next. I was shivering in the bathroom because the water was too cold (despite having the highest temperature on).

The electricity in the room tripped three times within a day. When I called the room service to notify them on this and seek their helps, they took an hour to come down (and after a second call from an angry guest). And I ascertained that the staff was extremely slow in responding to guests' calls - when I called again to request for a bottle opener, it took the staff to deliver it to us in 45 minutes (and again, after a second call from an angry guest). Oh and the staff was waiting for us outside our rooms to collect the opener back because apparently, they didn't have any spares?

Breakfast was another major let down. While the varieties were commendable, the quality was questionable. I have got my soft-boiled eggs completely raw on my first breakfast. Cheese was covered with condensation after being put in a temperature that was way too low for it. And I have got to wait for 15 minutes to be seated for breakfast - something which I had never experienced before in my life. I was just thankful that I did not have to spend long during breakfast because what was variety-rich buffet spread turned to a pathetic spread one in an instant.

Perhaps I was expecting too much from the reputation of Swiss-Belhotel; this was, by far, one of the worst 4-stars hotel I have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Choose the fourth floor and non-smoking floor if you can't stand the pungent cigarettes smoke.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay, Batam!

We do apologize for your inconvenience experience while staying with us. We have forwarded the comments to our staff and team for the immediate follow-up and improvement. We have been conducted several training and will do continuously training to improve and maintain our standard.

Regarding the electricity in the room and room service, we have deeply briefed to the department concerned to make sure no more repeated issue. We are really regret for your inconvenience experience. We ensure you to have the best experience on your next trip.

Once again we do appreciate receiving your feedback as it is enable us to continue our improvement efforts. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay, Batam.

With kind regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stayed in Swiss Belhotel Harbour Bay for my mum’s birthday in August.
I was amazed by Gilang’s quick responses when I enquired special arrangements to be made for my mum’s birthday surprise. The hotel’s situated just next to Harbour Bay Ferry Terminal. Hotel furnishing is impeccable & gave me a luxurious feel. Upon checking in my room, I wondered if they had missed out on the birthday arrangement. However, a couple of hours later, one of the hotel staff called me & claimed that they had given me a temporary room whilst my actual room was being setup as per my requests and asked me if I wanted to have a look. When I viewed my actual room, I was deeply amazed as the hotel staff had set up balloons, rose petals with the words “Happy Birthday Mum”, “Have a nice day” spread across the twin beds. The hotel staff even prepared elephant towels, fruit basket & slice of chocolate cake before we called my mum to the room. They even decorated the bathroom with rose petals, very very pretty touch. Indeed, my mum was very surprised when they sang her birthday song as she stepped into the room. It was the best birthday she ever had.

My room’s nicely furnished with a writing desk, desk chair, mini fridge, safe box, comfortable couch and coffee table.
Breakfast was awesome with a wide spread of buffet: Egg counter, cereals, pastries, soups, fruits, porridge, rice, sausages, meats, juices, etc.

Hotel’s equipped with swimming pool, gym and spa. I tried the hotel spa on level 4 which was very relaxing.
Hotel’s also attached to the mall, hence you can grab JCO Donuts, groceries from SOGO supermarket (B1) or get some good home décor from the mall. There’s a huge spa which just opened right opposite the hotel. They are offering full body massage about Rp 100k – Rp 120k per hour if you’re into affordable massages. Book your slots early as it’s always full during weekends.

I had an immense great time in Swissbelhotel Harbour Bay.
This is one of the most beautiful & best hotels which I’ve stayed! I’m already missing this place & will be coming back again definitely!

Special thanks to the hotel staff: David, Lina (Housekeeping Department) & Gilang, Christina (Office Department) who were involved in my room setup & decoration.
They are very professional, made our stay memorable & I would like to thank them for making this special birthday surprise a huge success. You guys did a fantastic job!

I will surely recommend this hotel to my office colleagues.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Warm regards from Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay Batam!

Thank you for taking your precious time to record your comments on tripadvisor.com following your recent stay at Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay, Batam. We are glad in receiving your comments and have been shared to our staff and team. Indeed it is a clean and nicely done hotel, centrally located in downtown and we often receive good comment regarding the service of our staff as we have been conducted several training to maintain our standard.

It was our honor to be part of your mum's birthday. It is our duty to make sure our guest is satisfy while staying with us. Have been shared the comment to the name mentioned and we ensure you to have the best experience on your next stay.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay is barely 1 year old and has food and shopping areas nearby. A super convenient location!

Check in was a breeze and the rooms allocated were very spacious, airy and bright. We stayed on level 4 in the Grand Deluxe room over the weekend with our 2 kids. The spa is also located on this level, which made it very easily accessible for us. More about the spa later.

Service rendered were superb, especially by the housekeeping and reservations department.

Hubby had made a very last minute (just before we left SG) request to dress the room up for our anniversary. There was not much time to do much, the housekeepers did a simple decoration on the bed, spelling out "Happy Anniversary" with some wooden pegs and had tea lights placed in the room and bathroom. It was heart warming and cozy! It was a very coordinated effort between Housekeeping and Reservations! Thanks!

The spa service was of good standard, the massuers were quite experienced and gave us a good rubdown.

The kids enjoyed the pool on the 3rd floor although it was a tad small. There is a tiny kids wading pool and the main pool was not large with depths at 1.4 m only.

The breakfast spread was quite varied and dishes were constantly replenished. Service was good and staff very friendly.

The hotel provides a complimentary shuttle to the Harbour Bay Ferry terminal. We found this useful as we need not lug our bags and kids to the terminal although it was just 5 mins by foot.

A very good choice for a getaway with the family!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Denny J, General Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay, responded to this review, September 29, 2013

Warm regards from Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay Batam!

Thank you for your precious time in recording your comments on tripadvisor.com following your recent stay at Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay, Batam. We do appreciate your comments and have been forwarded to our staff and team. Indeed it is a clean and nicely done hotel, centrally located in downtown and we often receive good comment regarding the service of our staff as we have been conducted several training to maintain our standard.

It was our pleasure to be part of your anniversary and it is our duty to ensure that our guest is satisfied staying with us. We are glad in receiving your comments and will make sure you have the best experience on your next trip.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

It was a last minute, impromptu staycation. My girlfriend was causally commenting about how badly she wanted to go on a short getaway trip amid our very hectic work life. With very little time on hand, i attempted to surprise her by buying a travel package to Batam which comes with an one night stay at Swiss-Belhotel Habour Bay. It just so happened that by the time i received the confirmation for the trip, our anniversary was just around the corner. Wanting to give her a surprise, i attempted to contact the hotel via their website to request for the additional top ups that i can make to have honey moon decorations made for our room to surprise my girlfriend. The request was made just a day before my check in date and i got an automated mail respond that they will reply to my query within 24 hours. As it was very last minute, i was not able to check my email for their reply. I must say i wasn't expecting much from the hotel and didn't think that my request would actually went through. Furthermore, I didn't think the hotel will accept any last minute request and go ahead with the decorations without confirming with me if i am agreeable to the additional charges. But i was wrong. They went full force to decorate our room despite not receiving any form of acceptance to the additional charges payable. Free of charge. Complete with a free room upgrade. Awesome. Wow.

The whole room was meticulously decorated. They placed tea light candles everywhere including the bathroom. Swan decorations made from towel on the bed and there is a pair of very cute elephants made from towels inside the bathroom. They also used flower petals to decorate the bathtub. My girlfriend love the decoration so much she could not bear to touch them. She was very touched by the decorations while i was very touched by the generosity of the team behind this. This is a hotel which goes all out and beyond their obligation to please their guest. It was way over my expectation. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the team behind this surprise. David, Jubil, Bayu, Steven, Chirstine and anyone else that i didn't managed to get your name. Thank you for making our trip an unforgettable one!

Pros:
-Very new hotel
-Clean and does not reek of cigarette smoke
-Impressive lobby with high ceilings, nice chandelier and interiors
-Spacious corridor
-Hassle free check in/out
-Polite staff
-Very stylish hotel and bath room interior
-Breakfast buffet were tasty with a wide variety and staff were helpful
-Near to super mart, spa, cheap seafood restaurant

Con:
Bathroom hot water available intermittently

All in all i was very impressed and I will definitely recommend this hotel to my friends who are planning to visit Batam.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Warm regards from Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay Batam!

Thank you for precious time to record your comments on tripadvisor.com following your recent stay at Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay, Batam. We are glad in receiving your comments and have been shared to our staffs and team. It was our pleasure to be part of your anniversary and our aim is to exceed our guest's expectations and we glad we did it. As for your feedback about our hot water in the bathroom, we have forwarded to the department concerned for immediate follow-up.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Found this hotel an excellent value for money. Very courteous and friendly staff who would bend over backwards to assist you...Brilliant location being next to Ferry Port and 10 mins away from main shopping mall, Nagoya Hills. Excellent massage place next to hotel...wife and I went almost daily. Breakfast was good with wide choice of European and Asian food. Kids also enjoyed the shopping. Would definitely return...esp to escape the rat-race in SGP.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Denny J, General Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Batam, 4 September 2013

Warm regards from Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay Batam!

Thank you for taking the time to record your comments on tripadvisor.com following your recent stay at Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay, Batam. We do appreciate of your comments on our staffs and your breakfast experience and have shared to our staff and team. Indeed it is a clean and nicely done hotel, centrally located in downtown and we often receive good comment regarding the service of our staff as we have been conducted several training to maintain our standard.