“Honeymoon at Harris, Batam” 5 of 5 stars
Review of HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront

You added HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront to your Saves list
HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   K.H. Ahmad Dahlan Street | Marina Waterfront City, Riau Islands Province 29422, Indonesia   |
Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Ranked #6 of 77 Hotels in Batam
Singapore
“Honeymoon at Harris, Batam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

Ii was my second time at Harris with my wife. This was our first honeymoon trip after our solemnisation ceremony in Nov. We needed a short getaway after a stressed period of work and studies. We were well- received by Harris GM, Stylianos and his team as they conjured magic to make our honeymoon special. Here are the points I noted during the stay.

Rooms: The room is spacious and clean. After learning that its my honeymoon stay, the staff decorated my room with Orchid petals and the fragrance lingers throughout my stay in Harris.

Service: Everytime you walked past a Harris staff, you will be greeted warmly like you were an old friend. They are there to render any assistance when you need it.

Food: Breakfast is ok with a variety of Asian and Western (Nasi Lemak, Beef Curry Rice, Fried Noodles, Eggs done on the spot, pancakes, sausages, fried chicken wings) with Teochew porridge, cereals and fresh crossants. For lunch, I recommend pizzas and bruschettas with kiwi juice/watermelon juice. For dinner, try H grill, which is only avaliable when weather conditions are good. During my stay, I had thick and juicy pork chops and big fresh Tiger Prawns, topped with a glass of red wine. Yum.

Activities: The last time I was at Harris, I tried the 1hr spa. The experience was rejuveniating! This time, I tried the 3hrs spa- the scrub left my skin glowing for days; massage was SHIOK and I snoozed throughout the treatment. I also had kinasih treatment (For guys- google to find out the effects yourself; I can only say- it works!)

Here are the activities you do for free at Harris: Swimming and pool activities at Harris pool, table tennis(I think), squash (I think), gym, Jacuzzi and sauna at the spa, 2 computers are available in the lobby.

Other activities include: Flying fox, archery, shooting, billard and pool, bowling, karaoke - just to name a few.

The next time I go Harris, I'm going to explore the place near Waterfront Ferry terminal (10mins walk) Heard that there is fresh and cheap seafood there. This place is definitely the ideal getaway from the crowded and bustling life in Singapore

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, January 3, 2011
Dear Mr and Mrs Chua,
Wishing You a prosperous 2011.
It was indeed a great pleasure having you both back to the Resort, especially for your honeymoon.
We are so glad that you once again enjoyed your stay with us at our japanese suite and also the 3 hours spa treatment. Thank you for your comments concerning the food, indeed our H Grill is our signature restaurant by the seaside and a honeymoon dinner over there is indeed a real treat.
We are happy that you had enjoyed most of the harris facilities and looking forward welcoming you back once again soon.
For any further assistance kindly do not hesitate to contact me at gm@harris-batam.com
Stylianos Koureas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

26 December 2010 - 29 December 2010

I booked a 3D2N honeymoon package (originally a 2D1N package but we extended 1 Night) for my fiancé and I to get away from the stressful working life that we were having and to celebrate her 21st Birthday. Obviously, the birthday celebration was a surprise and I couldn't be carrying a birthday cake with my luggage on departure day so I contacted Harris Resort for their suggestion and advice. Harris Resort's GM, Mr Stylianos Koureas, personally asked his staff to help me plan for the birthday celebration 2 months ahead of our trip!

On the day of the trip, we took an early Ferry from Habourfront Centre to Waterfront City Terminal. A very polite Harris staff in their signature bright orange shirt greeted us and pointed out to the air-conditioned bus waiting outside which we will be taking to the resort. Now, I know some of you will comment that the bus is somewhat crammed with little room in the aisle for walking. However, this is only a 2-3 minutes ride so we shouldn't be expecting an Executive Coach to fetch us either!

Upon reaching Harris and entering the lobby, friendly staff holding trays of welcome drinks and cold towels approached us while we queued for check-in. As it was boxing day, the resort was still fully booked and the guests who were supposed to check-out on this day probably were having difficulties waking up early due to the Christmas Dinner and parties the night before. Due to this, most of the guests have to wait til 2pm, which is the official check-in time anyway.

Our package came with free upgrade to Cabana room (depending on availability) and we were so happy that Harris did provide us with the upgrade in the end. The Cabana is one of the most romantic rooms available in Harris. Our room (more like a house) was large and spacious and comes with a bath tub and toilet partition with frosted glass roof above so that sunlight can shine in during the day. Orchid petals were laid out into a big heart shape on our bed. The bed was large and soft - so comfortable that we spent quite a lot of time sleeping in it instead of enjoying the facilities! The back of the Cabana opens up to the beach. I have seen comments about the condition of the beach but to be fair, it is the monsoon seasons right now and Harris's selling point is not the sandy white beaches like in the Caribbean islands but of having the largest free-form swimming pool and is one of the cleanest resorts/hotels in Batam.

I have had my share of poor air-conditioning in hotel rooms - even in a Balcony Class cabin on a StarCruises Virgo cruise that my fiancé and I went on earlier this year. However, the air-conditioning in both the Cabana and the Harris Suite in Trendy Wing (We extended one more day - again! More on this later) were very powerful and cooling. We never had to worry about weak, leaking air-conditioners during our stay.

Since our package is the honeymoon package, we were entitled to a 1.5-hour massage and milk bath and also candlelight dinner at H-Grill. The massage was okay and felt short (Probably because our backs and legs were aching too much and needed the massage badly). After massage, it was dinnertime! Due to weather, H-Grill wasn't open that day and we were given a table beside the big swimming pool. I have read from the reviews that this location is free from mosquitoes and they were right! Dinner was simply wonderful. Halfway into dinner, several Harris staff silently approached our table with musical instruments and a birthday cake and sang my fiancé a Birthday song in 3 languages! They also tied a Harris Bandana on her head and shielded the candle on her birthday cake (Windy night) while she made a wish before blowing out the candle. I don't think I can find this level of service anywhere else (Unless we're VIPs or something). Since we couldn't finish the cake, the staff even packed the cake into a nice little box for us to bring back to our room.

On day 2, we went for breakfast early and headed straight back to our room to watch another DVD (Provided by Harris free) before we boarded the 11:30am bus to Nagoya Hill. The bus ride to and fro was free as it was included in our package. I'm not sure why I see some negative comments about having to pay $5 per way to Nagoya Hill especially when they know that their tour package doesn't include this. Anyway, the return shuttle for those departing at 11:30am will come and pick us up at 4:30pm. The driver was on time and even circled the area once to ensure that he could go back and pick up passengers who were slightly late. Sure enough, being human, at least 5 passengers were late and managed to catch the bus eventually. For dinner, we ate food that we packed while at Nagoya Hill.

Day 3 - Our supposed last day, we felt so sad about leaving that we decided to extend yet another day in Batam! Changing our ferry scheudle was no hassle and the staff had it done in less than 5 minutes! As our Cabana is to be given to another guest, we upgraded to a Harris Suite in the Trendy Wing. This was the first time we had an entire suite for just the two of us! Mr Stylianos Koureas played a very important part in helping us secure this suite as their rooms were all fully booked! No wonder he is the General Manager of the year of 2010 awarded by Tauzia Hotel Management! We spent the additional day packing our things, going for Jacuzzi, Sauna and an additional round of massage. We had dinner at Delima seafood restaraunt and the price is very reasonable! Just walk to the Harris Taxi Counter and ask the friendly staff to get you a taxi to Delima (S$3 or RP 20,000) per way. For the return trip, we were approached by taxi drivers the moment we step out of Delima so no problem with that.

Day 4 - really our last day in Harris Batam! We promised to come back again as the staff here are friendly and humble. The review about Harris staff discrimminating by race is utterly rubbish! I think that reviewer is the one who is discrimminating against the Harris staff and Indonesian people! We will certainly come back again - simply because we couldn't find another resort that genuinely cared so much for their guests. This is also the first time we ever saw a General Manager walking around serving guests personally instead of hiding in an office back in their HQ.

Well done, Harris! I'm not an easy person to please since I'm in the service industry too but you have done so well to deserve all the praises you have received in most of the reviews here!

Dear Mr. Toh,
Wishing You and your wife a very prosperous 2011.
First of all, thank you so much for staying with us and we are so glad that you had enjoyed your cabana room and the facilities of the Resort, especially the our food.
Our Harris Players are really trying their very best to satisfy each of our valuable customers.
Looking forward welcoming You back at the Resort soon.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any further assistance at gm@harris-batam.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

My gf and I stayed at the Japanese Suite at Harris Resort from 19 Dec 2010 to 21 Dec 2010 and I would say this is one of the best resorts that I have ever stayed. Being the first time to Batam, I do not really know the place well but the staff at Harris Resort made me feel as if I have been there many times. The services rendered by your staff is really first class. I would definitely choose Harris Resort if I were to go Batam for a holiday again.

Dear Valued Guest,
Wishing You a very prosperous 2011.
Thank you so much for staying with us and we are extremely glad that you have enjoyed your stay at our japanese suite.
Looking forward welcoming You back at the Resort soon.
For any further assistance kindly contact me at gm@harris-batam.com
Stylianos Koureas- General Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

25 Dec 10, 3D2N FUN GATEWAY PACKAGE! Nice resort , we get resort facing the sea view. Food all nice only a bit dissapointed or myb not my luck we ask for candle light dinner, manage to give but no cake as requested and promise earlier. Overall the services n staff there are friendly!

• Stayed December 2010
Wishing You a very prosperous 2011
Thank you so much for staying with us and we are so gald that you had a pleasant stay with us.
So sorry hearing that you did not receive your anniversary cake as our Guest Relation Officer has overlooked your request. We deeply apologise for our mistake.
Looking forward welcoming you back to the Resort soon.
For any further assistance kindly contact me at gm@harris-batam.com
Stylianos Koureas- General Manager
singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

I went to Harris Battam Resort with my husband from 26th to 28th December 2010. I must say that the service and the friendliness of the staff there in general is commendable. They are very helpful and are always seen with a smile. We were greeted with a very warm welcome, with welcome drinks, refreshing towels and cookies. However, our experience there was not a memorable one.

We had some spare time after checking in before we could get our rooms at 2pm. Hence we took a walk around the resort. As we walked towards the pool, the first words that came up in my mind was "run-down" and "old". My husband said, "for the price we pay, we shouldn't expect too much". Then we continue walking to the activity wing, where there is the bowling alley, gym, multi-purpose room, spa, etc. We thought the place looked old and dark. There weren't much people around. The toilets next to the squash courts were dirty and the locks were spoilt. So, the phrase "for the price we pay, we shouldn't expect too much" popped up in my head again.

We are thankful for the cleanliness of the hotel room. However, I dont think for the many years I have been travelling, have I seen a lizard on the bed. When we returned, the lizard was on the bed, it ran across the bed, and went behind the bed. We called front desk to change a room and were told that they were quite fully booked but had 1 available room. The resort staff took us to a suite. We asked if we had to pay extra, so he went back to front the front desk to check and told us to wait in our room. They called back 15 min later and said they would charge us extra and that they were looking for another room. We maintained that we would not want to pay extra. We didnt hear from there for another 15 min, so we called back. They said they were still checking and told us they would call us again. We waited all in all for 45 min, and that was when I went down to the front desk to try to address the issue. The resort staff took me to another room in the old wing, this time a family room, which also required top up. I was impatient by then, and suggested getting the resort staff to try to catch the lizard, and just change the sheets. The least they could do was to change the sheets. Only then, he brought me to an exact same type of room that we were staying in (no top up required). It was at least 1 hr and 15min. It was an exasperating experience.

We spent most of our time in the room watching tv. The free 1hr massage was so-so. The food in the resort was expensive. The shuttle bus to Batam town requires extra cost. We would just keep telling ourselves "for the price we pay, we shouldn't expect too much". My husband and I usually would enjoy sea sports. After being to Bali, Krabi and Phuket before, we just couldnt bring ourselves to do anything at Batam.

It was quite a bad trip for us, to the extent we thought it would have been better if we stayed at home. We walked by another couple who exited from the activity wing, and overheard them saying "luckily we didnt choose to stay 3 days 2 nights, or we would have been bored to death". My husband and I looked at each other and couldnt help but laughed, as we stayed 3 days 2 nights.

I wouldnt recommend this place for couples, especially couples who dont enjoy sea sports. Its more of a place for families, big group of friends or perhaps company retreats, people who are contented with just the swimming pool, and perhaps friends who can keep one another occupied. I cant comment on the shopping at Batam town as we didnt go there. Perhaps the shopping is better.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, December 29, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for your constructive comments and deeply apologise for the inconvenience that you have experienced during your recent stay at our Resort.
Harris Resort Batam is ideal for both families and couples as there are two wings catering the two different segments, our Funky wing ideal for families and children and our trendy wing exclusively for couples and singles over 18 years old. The trendy wing is just less than a year old and the funky wing is adequately renovated constantly. The Leisure club is having the Bowling and the spa. The H spa is a two years old construction on the roof or the Club which is blended with natural vegetation.
We are so sorry to hear that a lizard was in your bed which is really very rare to be found in a room of a Guest as we are having a daily Pest control company taking care of all these matters.
We have investigated the Harris players on duty during your two nights stay and we did not find out about this incident especially the change of the room and the additional charge asked by our Harris Players.
You can contact me directly to gm@harris-batam.com for any further assistance and clarification.
Once again please accept our sincere apologies that we have not met your expectations during your recent stay with us.
Wishing you a very prosperous 2011.
Harrissly Yours
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

Batam is overall a very boring island, and although cheaper than Bintan, it is far from comparison.

The beach along the resort is dirty and waters are not clear at all.

Driveway to the hotel is old , and although the hotel has a new renovated wing, the air-conditioning along the general areas are still old.

I was at the cafe and I asked them to make the room cooler, but the air-cons were at the max and I was still sweating.

Rooms are generally clean, and the new room has much cleaner rooms.

Overall, the service is generally friendly but the whole set-up is old, and not a fantastic hotel choice for its price.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Dear valued Guest,
Sunny Greetings from the Harris Resort Batam,
Each Island has its own attractions and individuality. Some people will not like Bintan and will love Batam and vice versa. It mainly depends what are we looking for our holidays and the main reason for it. Batam shopping is ideal, the island is nearer from singapore and a much more value for money destination.
Thank you for the comments on the Airconditioning at Harris Cafe which is now fixed.
We really value our Guest comments
Have a prosperous 2011
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

I went to Batam with my family and friends (9 of us) from 24th to the 26th of Decenber 2010. The trip to Batam on the ferry was smooth and we arrived in just 45 minutes. Once we arrived at the WaterFront Ferry Terminal, we rode in Harris's mini-bus to the Harris Hotel. The mini-bus was a bit stuffy but we did not mind as the trip there was really fast. (3-5 min) Upon reaching the Hotel, The staff gave us a refreshing drink of water and some yummy cookies. We went to register at the desk. We were lucky to have arrived early as the queue was quite long as a lot of people came here for christmas. One of the rooms was not ready as they still needed to clean the room up. They asked us to come back in an hours time to collect the key from them.

We then walked into the cafe to have lunch. The only thing I was not satisfied at Harris was its variety of food. 25 min into the meal, the staff came and gave my sister the key to the room. We were quite suprised as we did not tell them that we were going to the cafe and that they were 30 min early.

After the meal, we went up to our room at the Funky Wing. (We could not stay at the trendy wing as one of us was below 18) The rooms was clean and had a homey feeling to it. We were tired so we went to take a nap. Afterwards, we went to the swimming pool to play. The swimming pool was clean and they rented out balls and towels for free (One person in my group really wanted to rent a water gun and he was dissapointed when they did not rent it.) The water levels in the main pool consisted of 1m, 1.54m, and 2m. There is also a 0.5m baby pool nearby. My parents and those who did not want to swim relaxed at the sheltered bed next to the swimming pool.

We went to take a shower and then went for the buffet dinner. It rained before the buffet started so the had to put the tables and chairs back in the shade untill the rain stopped. When we reached the place, the staff was putting the tables back. The buffet dinner consisted of turkey, chicken, crabs, prawns and more. There was also a concert inside. We could not hear the things they said or sang properly as the speaker was inside. During our meal, the fireworks started and Santa Claus climed out from underneath the ground and gave everyone goody bags. He must have been hiding there for hours! It was quite a nice surprice!

On the second day, we woke up early and went for breakfast. I particularly enjoyed the milk and cereal. I had to queue up for quite long to get a egg or pancake which they cooked on the spot.

After breakfast, we were escorted to Isabella (A massage stall near Nagoya Hill Mall) by their free transportation service. It's quite far from the Hotel. I did not go for the massage as I think its too itchy. I went to the Nagoya Hill mall. There's not much things to buy there. (There's a lot of fake stuff. ) There is one shop at Nagoya Hill Food Street called Layers which sells nice Kueh Lapis. 150,000 Rph for original and 180,000 Rph with prunes. My sister said that the massage was quite dissapointing as they used too little strength. (She says she should have asked them to use more strength) They only had some pieces of bread and some water for lunch, maybe thats why no energy?

They escorted us back to Harris later on. We then went to the christmas dinner. It was raining really heavily then and the whole place was flooded.. It was lucky they had put up the tents to shelter the tables before the rain started. We got a good place where we were near the uffet table and did not get wet from the rain. The friendly staff sheltered us from the rain using umbrellas from our table to the buffet table with a smile. The food was almost the same as the day before. The staff gave us free beer as "apology" of the rain although it was not their fault. Santa, this time, he came in a small and cute raft from the swimming pool with one of his elves.The fireworks this time was longer than before. The speaker was put outside this time and we could hear what they said more clearly this time.

After that, we went bowling. Remember to bring your socks and shoes cause its a compulsary equipment for bowling. you can buy a pair of socks for S$2.50 and rent the shoes (I forgot how much but cheaper). The bowling was quite expensive. Playing billiards was cheaper at S$7.50 per hour.

We then went back to our room and showered. The bathroom there is quite clean. They provide free toothbrush, toothpaste, shower gel and a disposible bag.

The next, and the last day, we went to book the ferry. We were shocked to hear that all the ferries at WaterFront Terminal Station were booked that day. The only ferries that were departing that day was at the Sekupang Terminal Station. We should have booked our ferry ticket earlier! The staff saw our faces and said that they would give us a free ride to Sekupang Terminal Station. We are very grateful to Harris Resot for arranging this for us.

We went to Delima Seafood Restaurant near the WaterFront Terminal to have our lunch there. We ordered chili crab, black pepper crab, Mayonnaise Prawn, Gong Gong, some vegetables, tofu and veggies soup and some more. The black pepper crab is not that nice. Singapore's black pepper crab is nicer. The Mayonnaise Prawn was quite nice and the rest was good. The crabs are really meaty and fresh! The bill added up to 891,000 Rps (about S$127) which is quite cheap for a big meal like this. The restaurant is built over the water, its really nice eating there. There might be a bit of trouble communicating with them what you want as they cannot speak english. We came back to the hotel and got tho the ferry terminal and left batam.

Overall, I think Harris Resort is a really Good hotel! The service there is one of the best, the rooms are clean and you can have lots of fun with you family and friends! Go there, I assure you you wont be dissapointed. ;)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, December 27, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,
Sunny Greetings from the Harris Resort Batam...
We are delighted to read your very sincere review of the Resort.
Indeed the Harris Players are working so hard to make sure that everyone of our Guest is really happy and have an enjoyable leisure experience.
We really appreciated your honest comments about the food and we are really working so hard on this matter. Soon you will see some singapore traditional dishes to be added to our menus as Emperor herbal chicken and others.
Once again thank you so much for your valuable commnents.
Wishing you and your family a very prosperous 2011.
Hoping you are visiting us again very soon, and please do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@harris-batam.com.
Harrisly Yours,
Stylianos Koureas-General Manager

Been to HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront? Share your experiences!