“Nice place!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront

You added HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront to your Saves list
HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   K.H. Ahmad Dahlan Street | Marina Waterfront City, Riau Islands Province 29422, Indonesia   |
Special Price
Special Offer
Ranked #8 of 72 Hotels in Batam
“Nice place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

Just want to share about my stay at Harris.

Located less than 5 mins (probably 2 mins) away from Waterfront City Ferry Terminal. A very family friendly hotel, the kids would love the dino mascot. There are many things you can do in the hotel; there's a bowling alley, a ping pong table, you can play basketball (I think) in the water and there's an adventure park which can also be used for team-building events. There's a cable-ski park right outside the hotel and it's very safe and people of all ages would love it (though the water is a bit dirty).

The hotel room is very spacious, we booked two standard rooms. Since it was a connecting room, one room had the king-sized bed and the other twin beds. Altogether, there were 6 of us and we could fit in the rooms comfortable. The sofa can be turned into a sofa-bed, but the king-sized bed can actually fit three girls comfortably. The view from the balcony was of the pool and it was quite nice actually. We requested for extra towels, pillows and blankets and even asked for bucket of ice twice, and all were delivered promptly.

The only negative thing about my stay at Harris was when I was checking out. Apparently, the staff had made a mistake during my check in (wrong conversion of currency) and had charged me less for my stay, so during check out, I was asked to top up an additional amount. Since it wasn't my fault, I refused to pay. The hotel was kind enough to admit their mistake and waive the payment. I thought they handled the situation well. Also, they had a mix up with out ferry tickets so had to send our tickets for re-print, which thankfully, didn't take long, although it did give us a little problem during our check in at the ferry terminal (since they had to re-print the tickets, it didn't have the stamp of our package and the terminal staff asked us to pay for fiscal, which was actually already included in the package).

Nevertheless, I highly recommend this hotel, especially to parents with young children who want to have fun but not leave the hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, December 21, 2010
Sunny Greetings from the Harris Resort Batam...
Thank you so much for your valuable comments.
We are so glad to hear that your whole family especially your kids has an enjoyable stay with us in the Resort.
We are very thank ful to bring to our attention the mistake of billing during your check out and the immediate action of our harris players.
Concerning the 7 SGD per person sea port tax is usually not included in any package and has to be paid by the guest in cash upon departure from any ferry terminal in Batam.
For any further assisstance please do not hesitate to contact me at gm@harris-batam.com
Looking forward welcoming You at the Resort soon.
General manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

i stayed in Harris Cabana from 15-17th December, which is last week :)
a relaxed, no frills getaway has always been on my mind and Harris delivered it.

when i reached Harris hotel lobby, everyone was so happy! the staff was welcoming and what touches me is that the General Manager himself actually serve the guest. that makes my friend and i impressed that no wonder the staff there are really friendly and sincere.

we checked in to Cabana and the room is clean, service is prompt.
what touches me the 2nd day was that i thought breakfast ends at 10:30am, hence, we went down at 10am only to realise that breakfast is close at 10am.
without hesitation, a staff told me that they still have bread and asked if we are okay with it. Famished, we agreed without hesitation.
Guess what, what happens next was something which i never expect.
one of the staff served us 2 hot scrambled eggs, and yes. it's specially prepared although the breakfast is close at 10am.
impressed is the word. yes, and both of us were impressed.
i dont know about the racial discrimination but im a Singaporean chinese.

on the 1st night, we decided to try the Japanese Room. Hence, we asked the Reception if we could view the room first before deciding. Without hesitation, she said she can arrange as she is the only one station at the front desk. 15 minutes later, we were brought to the Japanese room.

After staying in the japanese room, i still prefer Cabana room though :)
it was really a good and relaxing experience. Upon checking out, i saw one of the staff welcoming the guest and the GM himself was smiling and greeting everyone.

this is the first time i see such impressive service by a resort. thumbs up!

minus point:
- the ceiling is leaking (think from the aircon) in the japanese room. however, we feedback upon check out and the staff apologise for it.
- the spa (no drinks served after massage). which is quite rarely seen cos usually people serve drinks after that
- location: can be quite a hassle to Nagoya. but if the purpose of the trip is just relax and laid back, it's good.

basically i guess their services has overwrite the minus point.
A definite stay for me the next round again, in Cabana room!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, December 20, 2010
Sunny Greetings from the Harris Resort Batam...
First of all thank you so much for staying with us and we are so grateful to have your constructive comments.
Indeed the harris staff will go most of the times the extra mile to serve our Guests and this is what has happened during your breakfast time. I will praise the particular harris player accordingly.
We have well noted the leaking of the aircondition at the japanese suite and we have already taken care of it.
I have personally communicated with the spa and tell them to implement a nice herbal drink to be offered after the spa treatments.
Nagoya town is a half an hour ride from the resort. We provide two paid daily shuttles to nagoya hills Mall. Nagoya has limited shopping options compare to the Singapore shopping paradise. You can buy local delights and some good value kids clothing.
Once again thank you so much for your valuable stay and we are glad that you have enjoyed your stay.
Hoping to have you back soon and please do not hesitate to contact me anytime at gm@harris-batam.com for any further assistance.
Have a very merry Christmas and a prosperous 2011.
Batam, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

Judging by some of the comments, we must have stayed at the OTHER Harris Resort, in a seven month extended stay at the Harris Resort Waterfront City Batam, we have never had a complaint with room service, facilities, condition of the poolside... my son runs around barefoot and has never as much as had a scratch.. variety of food.... and if you need specific food for the elderly or other dietary requirements, I am sure the Harris management would arrange this WITH correct notice.... my wife is allergic to all meats, chicken, eggs and seafood and has been catered for every day....... and as for racial discrimination.. the only behaviour along those lines I have seen ....has been the attitude of several other SE Asian people to the Indonesian staff....

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
First of all allow me to thank you so much for being a long stay guest at the Harris Resort Batam.
Your comments are really very much appreciated and indeed we need all our guests to have the maximum satisfaction during their stay even is short of long stay.
Please do not hesitate to contact us directly if you need our further assistance.
Have a very merry Christmas and very prosperous 2011.
Harrisly yours
Stylianos
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

There are 4 observations
- Very slow room service and the inconsistency of information about guests among their own staff. (I called 4 times to the front counter within 2 hours to ask for 2 more bath towels to bathe my 3 babies after a swim) The lady said she will send over but the towels never came at all. I end up bathing and drying my kids and my maid and myself sharing 2 bath towels in the room. Plus I booked and pay for 2 family rooms for 5 adults and 3 kids. So I expect to see 8 bath towels and 8 set of toiletries prepared upon arrival. I had no problem with other hotels (3 stars and 4 stars). But each room only gets 2 sets of everything. I only get my 3 extra bath towels after my 5th try calling room service 5 hours later at 7pm. The the breakfast staff was also not consistent, 1st morning's breakfast 8 people no payment (as I already paid through my travel agency) but 2nd day, the staff told me to pay for the 4 extra people as each room only allowed 2 pax for breakfast. I had to argue with the staff and that spoil my family's breakfast and I was pretty embarrased by bthe incident.
- The Harris Cafe (had very limited food options for chinese people, especially the elderly. then I was also shocked to see a fat rat scampering along the lighting ledge at the top of the cafe's wall and later a cockroach running from wall to lamp area. My family gave up eating dinner at the cafe the next evening, instead packed food from the shopping centre at Nagoya City.)
-Condition of swimming pool area is a nightmare. (My 5 year old daughter had a few cuts on her toes and heel area after jist a half hour swim in the kids pool and later while walking from pool (tile area) back to room. She came back crying and bleeding from her toes. Luckily i brought my own first aid kit (I am a qualified first aider) and did my own cleaning of her wounds. Then My husband and I check the pool area and saw lots of tiles chipped and pieces. Thus that explain why my kid's leg got cuts as she walked barefooted on them.
-Double standards (The staff was impatient with the chinese or Indian race but observed to be exeptionally friendly and all eager to help any caucasian guest instead.)
I believe the service can be better and more standardised. I have tried alot of hotels in Malaysia, Indonesia and even 2 other hotels in Batam itself, this is by far a diappointment and it really stressed me out in front of my family.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, December 17, 2010
Sunny Greetings from the Harris Resort Batam,
I have read your comments and I have thoroughly investigated the whole situation of your stay from the 12th December until 14th December 2010 at our family rooms by the number 102 and 108.
Indeed you have fully paid for 5 Adults and 3 Children including breakfast.
The hotel is admiting its mistake about the set up of towels and the delay of delivering the extra towels to your room and we sincererely apologise about this due to the high season and the late delivery of the laundry from our laundry supplier.
We sadly read that you have seen a mouse in the Harris Cafe and a other animals running around the restaurant. I have spoken with our Pest Control company by the name ORIGINS from Singapore and we are able to give you a written statement mentioning that our Resort , indoor and outdoor is treated daily and is free from Rats, Mices, Coakroaches and other Pests.
We are an International standard 4 stars Resort complying with all the necessary hygiene requirements from the Tauzia Hotel Management.
Concerning the Pool, our surroundings and both Pool are supervised from 7am until 9pm from our Pool attendants and there was no report of cracking walls or injuries following their daily log books. We have also a 24 hours duty manager and in case of any injury or complaint the guest should feel free to address any issue to our staff.
Concerning the food variety at the Resort we are having a wide variety of local, western, chinese and japanese cuisine for our guests to choose from. H Grill by the sea is offering our Grilled signature steaks, our Pronto Pizzeria is offering the best Pizzas in Batam and our Harris Cafe is famous for its international and local dishes.
A very serious matter that you have mentioned is the RACIAL DISCRIMINATION among our respected Guests. You have mentioned we are delivering double standards service to our Guests. We are treating every Guest with the utmost respect and best effort for delivering service excellence without taking in consideration the colour of the skin, race, religion or class of any of our esteemed and valuable guest. But it is very important also that both sides have mutual respect for each other. Indonesian people are one of the friendliest people on the whole planet and they will try their very best to give the utmost attention to all of our Guest. I am Greek and I am managing the Harris Resort Batam for 9 years, I should admit that we will not get any awards if the whole Harris crew was not friendly.
Once we empahasize and generalise an isolated incident the negative effects will influence the whole harris staff and their families and Children.
Thank you so much for your constructive comments and for any further assistance do not hesitate to contact me at gm@harris-batam.com
Harrissly Yours,
Stylianos Koureas-General Manager
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

Just came back from Batam few hours ago. Attempted to book this trip through Harris Spore sales office but after few emails and phone calls with rude reply, I decided to search for other agency. Finally, I booked via Asiatravel just last week. Good that they are fast and the package price is the same as Harris Spore sales office.

Welcome drinks, towels and cookies are served. Lobby was really crowded but all the staff try to attend to everyone with cheerful attitude. There are alot of people checking-in. The counter staff are fast and they are all smiling given the high volume that they need to attend. Didn't wait too long for the check-in but has to wait for the room to be ready.

Rooms
We were given the Funky connecting rooms as the Trendy rooms are full. When we went in to the room, one of the air-con was blowing hot air. We called to inform this problem and in less than 10 mins, the engineering man came to fix the air-con. Ready appreciate the fast service. The Funky rooms really need refurbishment. According to my friend who stays in Trendy before, the rooms are better as that is the new wing.

Cleanliness
Housekeeping staff did a good job. The floor are clean and the room are tidy. However, the towels are grey in color and some with stains. Advice to bring your own towels.

Meals
We had buffet lunch and dinner at Harris Cafe. The price is reasonable but don't expect to have varieties. Do take the shuttle bus to town. Will be less expensive than eating in the resort.

Spa
The massage is average. Went to the toilet before massage. Toilet wet, dirty, no paper roll. While walking to the hut, saw a few guys walking around. When we reached our hut, was surprised to see a few guys sitting at the next hut talking and laughing. We feel uncomfortable and hesitate awhile whether to take off our clothings. Is a hut, not a room. We can see outside through the crack of the wooden door. After the massage, we walk out from the hut and saw a guy outside our hut. When he sees us, he start to sing in high volume while we walking out from the spa place. Hope the management look into the spa enviroment seriously since the spa is one of the selling point for the resort.

Overall
The pool is big. The staffs are cheerful, friendly and attentive. Harris Batam GM has provided good guidance to his team. Really creates a warm and nice holiday atmosphere. Besides the good team, don't put too much expectation on the rest of the things.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, December 15, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,
Sunny Greetings from Harris Resort Batam...
Thank you so much for your constructive comments.
We well noted your bad spa experience and we have addressed your issues immediately to our Spa Manager for immediate action and improvement.
Thank you for your good comments regarding the Service from the Harris Players.
Concerning the towels is indeed an issue due to the bad quality of the water in Batam, even the towels are only 6 months old. There is a tag on each towel with the purchase date where the guests can verified the age of our towels.
We are partially do a cosmetic renovation at the rooms of the funky wing and most of the floors will be ready by April 2011.
Thank you once again for staying with us and looking forward welcoming You back once again.
Stylianos Koureas- General Manager
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

Spent 3D2N with the family at Harris. It was as expected. Good service, all smiles, very friendly. Stayed at the Trendy wing which is considered very new. Nice color schemes, cool amenities, even my wife (who used to work in the hotel line for years!) complimented on the room and its friendly staff. Very helpful. Only downside is that the food can be be pretty expensive. The kids love the Dino Club, playing treasure hunt, dancing...and of course the free-flow swimming pool, their top fav, the kids begging me to stay for another day! :) Did the reflexology for an hour and it was a bargain!

Surely to return when the next opportunity comes!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

Went for the "Honeymoon" package and recieved an upgrade to the Cabana room.
The single storey Cabanas has a front pouch with a day bed near the sea (View blocked by trees and plastic chairs). The cabana rooms are terrible (read on), i suggest staying at the Harris normal rooms or walk over to Holiday Inn instead.

What is good?
- Massage at the H-Spa is good. But do becareful of peeping toms
- Service at the H-Grill is excellent. Great music by the Harris players
- Room's TV has a variety of channels
- Nice king sized bed

What is bad?
- Cabana room is infested with mosquitos after dark - its like sleeping in the hungle back in my army days where the mosquitoes buzzing around the ears!
- Cabana Room: You can hear sounds from activities next door due to a large gap at the ceiling in the bathroom. I heard our next door folks farting, flushing the toilet, TV sounds and conversation : zero privacy
- Creaking wooden floor in the cabana room
- Most of the wooden furniture are in a bad shape in the room. Broken blinds..broken drawer..etc
- Shuttle to Nagoya Hill comes only twice a day - uncomfortable and crowded mini buses (Try not to buy too much at the mall)
- Room's wireless internet is a joke. The signal strength was so pathetic that i had to use my Telco's 3G data instead.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, December 9, 2010
Sunny Greetings from the Harris Resort Batam...
Thank you so much for your constructive comments.
Indeed the beach cabanas are very near the beach and depending to the season there will be some mosquitoes, nevertheless we are providing in each cabana the following:
Baygon spray for mosquitoes
Mozzie tables with an electronic machine
Mosquito net above each of the bed.
With all the above plus the daily fumigation of the Resort by a professional Pest control company the mosquitoes even during the rainy season are limited to non existant inside the room.
Noise isolation is in progress for most of the cabanas as we are aware of the gap between the toilet and the ceiling.
Our beach cabanas are only two years old, are made by natural wood flooring and balconies which are regularly maintained. We will check your individual cabana and make the necessary engineering work.
Concernign our Wi-fi, the cabanas are the only place which the signal is weak, we are providing 2 computers in the hotel lobby for 24 hours in order our guests can check the emails for free. The rooms at the trendy wing are also provide wired internet for free. Our internet capacity is 5 MB which is one of the strongest on the whole island of Batam.
We are very sorry to hear your disappointment and we apologise for your unpleasant stay with us. For your information the Resort has a 24 hour Duty Manager where you can address any of your issues and also the possibility of changing your room.
Thank you once again for bringing to our attention the above mentioned points.
For any further assistance kindly contact me at gm@harris-batam.com
Harrissly Yours
General manager

Been to HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront? Share your experiences!