“Not to have too much expectation” 3 of 5 stars
Review of HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront

Save Saved
You added HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront to your Saves list
HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   K.H. Ahmad Dahlan Street | Marina Waterfront City, Riau Islands Province 29422, Indonesia   |
Offers & Announcements
Special Offer
Ranked #8 of 69 hotels in Batam
Singapore, Singapore
“Not to have too much expectation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

Just came back from Batam few hours ago. Attempted to book this trip through Harris Spore sales office but after few emails and phone calls with rude reply, I decided to search for other agency. Finally, I booked via Asiatravel just last week. Good that they are fast and the package price is the same as Harris Spore sales office.

Welcome drinks, towels and cookies are served. Lobby was really crowded but all the staff try to attend to everyone with cheerful attitude. There are alot of people checking-in. The counter staff are fast and they are all smiling given the high volume that they need to attend. Didn't wait too long for the check-in but has to wait for the room to be ready.

Rooms
We were given the Funky connecting rooms as the Trendy rooms are full. When we went in to the room, one of the air-con was blowing hot air. We called to inform this problem and in less than 10 mins, the engineering man came to fix the air-con. Ready appreciate the fast service. The Funky rooms really need refurbishment. According to my friend who stays in Trendy before, the rooms are better as that is the new wing.

Cleanliness
Housekeeping staff did a good job. The floor are clean and the room are tidy. However, the towels are grey in color and some with stains. Advice to bring your own towels.

Meals
We had buffet lunch and dinner at Harris Cafe. The price is reasonable but don't expect to have varieties. Do take the shuttle bus to town. Will be less expensive than eating in the resort.

Spa
The massage is average. Went to the toilet before massage. Toilet wet, dirty, no paper roll. While walking to the hut, saw a few guys walking around. When we reached our hut, was surprised to see a few guys sitting at the next hut talking and laughing. We feel uncomfortable and hesitate awhile whether to take off our clothings. Is a hut, not a room. We can see outside through the crack of the wooden door. After the massage, we walk out from the hut and saw a guy outside our hut. When he sees us, he start to sing in high volume while we walking out from the spa place. Hope the management look into the spa enviroment seriously since the spa is one of the selling point for the resort.

Overall
The pool is big. The staffs are cheerful, friendly and attentive. Harris Batam GM has provided good guidance to his team. Really creates a warm and nice holiday atmosphere. Besides the good team, don't put too much expectation on the rest of the things.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, December 15, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,
Sunny Greetings from Harris Resort Batam...
Thank you so much for your constructive comments.
We well noted your bad spa experience and we have addressed your issues immediately to our Spa Manager for immediate action and improvement.
Thank you for your good comments regarding the Service from the Harris Players.
Concerning the towels is indeed an issue due to the bad quality of the water in Batam, even the towels are only 6 months old. There is a tag on each towel with the purchase date where the guests can verified the age of our towels.
We are partially do a cosmetic renovation at the rooms of the funky wing and most of the floors will be ready by April 2011.
Thank you once again for staying with us and looking forward welcoming You back once again.
Stylianos Koureas- General Manager

761 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

Spent 3D2N with the family at Harris. It was as expected. Good service, all smiles, very friendly. Stayed at the Trendy wing which is considered very new. Nice color schemes, cool amenities, even my wife (who used to work in the hotel line for years!) complimented on the room and its friendly staff. Very helpful. Only downside is that the food can be be pretty expensive. The kids love the Dino Club, playing treasure hunt, dancing...and of course the free-flow swimming pool, their top fav, the kids begging me to stay for another day! :) Did the reflexology for an hour and it was a bargain!

Surely to return when the next opportunity comes!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

Went for the "Honeymoon" package and recieved an upgrade to the Cabana room.
The single storey Cabanas has a front pouch with a day bed near the sea (View blocked by trees and plastic chairs). The cabana rooms are terrible (read on), i suggest staying at the Harris normal rooms or walk over to Holiday Inn instead.

What is good?
- Massage at the H-Spa is good. But do becareful of peeping toms
- Service at the H-Grill is excellent. Great music by the Harris players
- Room's TV has a variety of channels
- Nice king sized bed

What is bad?
- Cabana room is infested with mosquitos after dark - its like sleeping in the hungle back in my army days where the mosquitoes buzzing around the ears!
- Cabana Room: You can hear sounds from activities next door due to a large gap at the ceiling in the bathroom. I heard our next door folks farting, flushing the toilet, TV sounds and conversation : zero privacy
- Creaking wooden floor in the cabana room
- Most of the wooden furniture are in a bad shape in the room. Broken blinds..broken drawer..etc
- Shuttle to Nagoya Hill comes only twice a day - uncomfortable and crowded mini buses (Try not to buy too much at the mall)
- Room's wireless internet is a joke. The signal strength was so pathetic that i had to use my Telco's 3G data instead.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, December 9, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,
Sunny Greetings from the Harris Resort Batam...
Thank you so much for your constructive comments.
Indeed the beach cabanas are very near the beach and depending to the season there will be some mosquitoes, nevertheless we are providing in each cabana the following:
Baygon spray for mosquitoes
Mozzie tables with an electronic machine
Mosquito net above each of the bed.
With all the above plus the daily fumigation of the Resort by a professional Pest control company the mosquitoes even during the rainy season are limited to non existant inside the room.
Noise isolation is in progress for most of the cabanas as we are aware of the gap between the toilet and the ceiling.
Our beach cabanas are only two years old, are made by natural wood flooring and balconies which are regularly maintained. We will check your individual cabana and make the necessary engineering work.
Concernign our Wi-fi, the cabanas are the only place which the signal is weak, we are providing 2 computers in the hotel lobby for 24 hours in order our guests can check the emails for free. The rooms at the trendy wing are also provide wired internet for free. Our internet capacity is 5 MB which is one of the strongest on the whole island of Batam.
We are very sorry to hear your disappointment and we apologise for your unpleasant stay with us. For your information the Resort has a 24 hour Duty Manager where you can address any of your issues and also the possibility of changing your room.
Thank you once again for bringing to our attention the above mentioned points.
For any further assistance kindly contact me at gm@harris-batam.com
Harrissly Yours
Stylianos Koureas
General manager
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

My boyfriend was planning a birthday trip for me and he suggested Harris Resort even though I was a bit apprehensive due to some of the not so fantastic reviews I read online. But finally, he convinced me to give it a try; to be specific, the Birthday package of Harris Resort.

Upon reaching there, we were greeted by one of their friendly staff (Bayu) & given cold towel to freshen up. After that, we were shown to our Cabana room (Room 4). Imagine our surprise when we stepped into our room! The bed was decorated with flowers petal wishing me happy birthday and there was a heart shaped flower petal décor right in the middle of our bed! There were colorful balloons taped to the headrest of the bed as well! Very unique tactics of their resort! Thumbs up! The room was furnished with all the basic necessities like toothbrush, shower cap, soap bars, body wash and shampoos and towels. Drinking wise, they have a flask, complimentary teas and bottles mineral water. We initially wanted to take the free shuttle bus (included in the package) to Nagoya Shopping Mall but were informed that they only had two timing in the day which is 10.30am or 1pm which we missed both as we arrived at Harris at around 4plus. I would like to suggest to the management that maybe they could offer another later timing for the late arrival people like us? In the end, we had to take a cab out.

The next day, we had breakfast at Harris café. The variety offered was better then some of the other branded hotels we stayed in Batam before. Oh you got to try their mee rubus. Personally to me, I think overall the choices are just perfect for me. After that, we walked around the resort before proceeding to their H spa. The resort really had a lot of places to offer be it food or entertainment! You have to walk around to find out!  We had the 1 hrs 30 min Indonesia Massage and the 30 Min Milk bath (included in the package as well). I had added an additional face spa but it was not up to standard. The facial package was supposedly one hour included a cleansing, scrub, mask and a face massage but what I got was only a cleansing & a mask which lasted only 30mins. We decided to provide feedback on this to the front desk and they took it quite seriously.

On our way to eat some pizzas (highly recommended on the forums and yes, it does live up to its reputation) @ Pizzeria, we happen to chanced upon Mr Stylianos, the GM of the resort. We feedback to him about the slight issue with the facial package and he immediately looked into it. He came back about 15min later saying that he will waive off the facial package! We were impressed by his efficiency and decision. After that we went to play bowling (included in the package as well). It was basically quite quiet as it was a week day so couples; if u want some quiet rest time, the best is to go during the weekdays. After that, we went for a quick swim.

Imagine my surprise when I came up from my swim! One of the staff actually left us cold face towels and a plate of cold fruits (I think is honey melon) for us by the seats! So thoughtful of them! I never knew which one of their staff did that but I was seriously touched. Shortly after, we received a call from Mr Stylianos inviting us for a quick drink before our dinner. During conversation, we found out that it was actually Mr Stylianos mother who taught the staff over there to make such fantastic pizzas! After that we went for our candlelight dinner. That was this little hut by the beach that was decorated for romantic dinner. There was an appetizer, soup, main course, desert and lastly birthday cake! There was always this staff standing nearby to serve us. There was romantic music in the background, soft sea breeze blowing, perfect ambience. But we were a little late in attending the dinner hence there was nothing much to see. We did suffer a few mosquitos’ bites but ladies if you are very concerned, you can always request a table by the pool side instead. To top off everything, there were band members, some staffs and even Mr Stylianos himself sang birthday songs for me. So sweet! Perfect way to end the night . :)

On the third morning, we were surprised to see that the breakfast changed in variety. Had a quick swim and packed for home. We were having lunch when we saw Mr Stylianos again and he joined us for a chat. Mr Stylianos was gracious to let us extend our checkout time till 3.30pm before we took the 4pm plus ferry back.

So to anyone out there who is deliberating whether to give Harris resort a try, DO. For me, I would definitely go back again given their excellent customer services.

Catherine Choong

Side note from the boyfriend:
We had been to 3 different resorts and 3 different hotels in Batam before & I must say that by far, this was one of the best experiences that we had due to the following:

1. When you scroll through the various packages offered by Harris, you would expect what is stated to be given as it is.

Harris did not do just that, they delivered it with an experience packaging everything. this shows the depth of thought that went into the designing of the package to ensure that every single service touch points contributes to the WOW factor for the customer.

2. The ‘Experience’ recovery by Mr Stylianos is filled with sincerity and thoughtfulness; he understands that a not so pleasant experience is not remedied simply by throwing in freebies or waiving off things. It’s about making that extra connection to bond with your customers & make them happier. This man really knows what hospitality is all about.

3. The staff there are always warm. But then again, it does take 2 hands to clap. Both me and my girlfriend tried to smile at everyone, be polite and of course, do tip where you feel a particular service was great. No big secret really.

Mr Stylianos, if you are reading this, I am holding you to your offer of guiding us on how to arrange a Cyprus trip…. 8 )

Yours Sincerely,
Ken

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, December 11, 2010
Dear Catherine and Ken,
Sunny Greetings from Harris Resort Batam...
It was indeed my great pleasure meeting Both of You and thank you so much for giving me your genuine and constructive feedback during your recent stay at the harris resort batam.
We treat our guests with a service from our hearts and this is our motto:
simple -unique and friendly
Looking forward welcoming You back soon and please do not hesitate to contact me for any furhter assistance at gm@harris-batam.com
Stylianos
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010 via mobile

We stay at Harris batam on 4th and 5th dec . Well the hotel staff was friendly and the hotel room were clean . However when we were there , there was two companies hving family day ( one on sat and another on sun) and I can tell u , the pool was " flooded " with pple and you can't possible swim there , even when the people leave the pool at abt 3 plus , we do nt dare to swim as the water was v dirty , we can even see chocolate wrapper in the bb pool !!!! OMG and to make it worst , the toilets at the lobby and the one at the pool was v v v smelly (no joke ) I do not know why so people gave such good reviews but too me it's over rated .
And also when we read from internet , they said hotel have free bus to the shopping mall but when we were there we were told we have to pay $10 each for adult , in the end we hire a private bus at $60 for single trip . There are lots of miscommunication as some staffs have no idea of the price and timings and we have to ask again n again . When we were there , it was raining and one of the room actually has rain water coming in from the balcony and my room , the air con leak and we woke up to find there are water near e balcony too .
I am quite disappointed by Harris batam and I will nt wan to go bk again or recommend it to me friend

• Stayed December 2010
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, December 8, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,
Sunny Greetings from the Harris Resort Batam.
First of All thank you for your constructive comments and feedback during your stay at our Resort.
Indeed there were company fun days during your stay at the Resort and what make it worst was the bad weather during both days with continuous heavy rain so the participants of the events were relocated at the harris trendy lobby. This is the main reason that the toilets were dirty. Company events at Harris Resort Batam are not taking place so often and if we have, there will be located far from the property at our Harris Camp or the beach.
Due to the heavy use of the swimming pool and the stormy weather the pool was not so clean. At 4 pm on Saturday both pools were cleaned and treated.
Concerning the shuttle bus to town, there are various packages that are including the free transfers to Nagoya Hills Mall, if not included in the package then is charged at 5 SGD per person per way.
I believe My Personal Assistant by the name Ms Diah has helped you to rent our van for 18 persons with the price of 60SGD dollars per way with flexible timing.
We have well noted the rain water that went into your room and the Air condition malfunction and an immediate action will be taken to solve these two problems.
Your feedbck is very valuable for us and once again we are sincerely apologizing for your problems that you have encountered during your recent stay at our Resort.
Please give us another chance to taste the real Harris Batam Hospitality at its best.
For any further assistance I can be contacted at gm@harris-batam.com
Stylianos Koureas-General Manager
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

I am very happy to book my stay with Harris Batam. Everything is great, the room is big with living room, new renovated room, nice pizza.

Thanks GM for your upgrading of room and superme service and attitube. Will go back again soon. Keep in Touch

Bad point is the schedule service from resort to Ngoya Hill only 2 timing and last time is 5pm

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Eric,
Sunny Greetings from the Harris Resort Batam
Thank you so much for your very positive comments and looking forward to welcoming You back soon.
Stylianos
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

Thank you very much for making my anniversary a very memorable one. We have enjoyed the candle light dinner, with the majestic firework and the musical band that sang lovely tunes. The Hi-Spa with the jacuzzi is also very confortable. The cabana room is also very well furbished. Thank you and I would certainly recommend my friends to Harris.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, December 2, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for your positive comments, we are so glad that you have enjoyed your stay at the resort.
Looking forward welcoming you back at the resort soon.
For any further assistance do not hesitate to contact me at gm@Harris-batam.com
Harrisly Yours,
Stylianos Koureas

Been to HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront? Share your experiences!