This is my first post and I hope it is impartial and useful to other travelers. This is my first visit to Harris Resort Batam. As there was mix reviews, my partner and I were a little apprehensive as we didn't want our 10 years anniversary to be a total disaster. However, we wanted to travel without breaking our wallets, so we decided to give Harris a try.
Just want to share our experience. We stayed from 6 to 8 July on honeymoon package.
Just a few minutes drive away from waterfront ferry terminal, the bus came to pick us up as promised. There was even a special clearance counter at the ferry terminal. Hassle free and fuss free. However, it is 30mins drive away from the "happening zone" in Nagoya, the hotel was accommodating and thoughtful enough to offer guest with one free shuttle service that we have to book. It is on a first come first serve basis. We didn't encounter any problems with the booking. Thumbs up! The good impression starts here....
First impression as we arrived at the lobby:
At one glance, the facade looked old but we felt it was a pretty well kept property never mind the old facade. Greeted by friendly security officials and greet lobby staff who was trying to cope with an influx of guest. They spoke fluent English and was very accommodating towards our request. Free upgrade to a Cabana room was given. It was a spacious room meant for honey-mooners. Given welcome drinks and cold towel (i love the cold towel especially when the weather at Batam is so hot!, but welcome drinks, nothing very special, most of us felt they could give us fruit juices instead, but no biggie really, unless you are super fussy)
It was spacious, romantic and very special. Linens was clean with no trace of dirt. We inspected very carefully because we read bad reviews about dirty linens, but nothing of that sort at all. Although our room was facing the sea, there was not much of a view, as the beach was not picture-perfect like those in Bali, but I think its fine as the erosion of the sand is not their fault and they didn't claim it was a beach resort so a picturesque view is not expected. The room had everything we needed. Very basic, but sufficient.
However, There are some slight complaints over here, as room was facing the sea, mosquitoes are a big problem throughout our stay. I got stunk real bad. My left leg was swollen and my index finger got bitten. The mosquitoes here are nasty and they are relentless. We tried all sorts of ways to get rid of them, including making use of the mosquito net, spraying vast amount of insecticide provided by the Harris (included in the room) and also igniting the mosquito coils but all our attempts failed miserably.
We found out the sources of where the mosquitoes breed. Firstly, due to the rain, water could have accumulated in the drains outside our rooms. Next, the bath area is the main source. We stayed in Cabana 8 and the flooring in the bath area might have poor drainage giving this mosquitoes a place to breed. As my leg was severely bitten, I suspect that the drainage near the bath area could have been the source where these pesky creatures made their attacks from.
Maybe the hotel management should view this issue of drainage seriously. Probably the design could be modified.
Here's another problem area. We've tried their daily buffet breakfast (inclusive in our package), Ala carte order of meat lover's pizza for lunch, one candle light dinner (inclusive in our package) and one lunch in Arirang korean restaurant.
I would rate daily breakfast as very basic. More could be done to improve the quality and variety. 7/10 - eggs tend to be overcooked and fried chicken is a tad to dry and tasteless.
I love the cereal and the fried rice.
Meat lover's pizza- SGD$15 is a little pricey but portion is sufficient for 2 not so hungry person. They even offered us some local prawn crackers as starter. SO we have very little to complain. The pizza is above average. Loved the thin crust oven -baked pizza.
Arirang Korean- Even though we spotted a huge crowd of Koreans eating at this place, the food standard is average. Certain dishes should not be attempted without the authentic or close substitute for it. The only satisfactory dish was the Korean (sushi rice roll). The rest like the bean paste stew and some noodle soup was at the very most mediocre. Prices are average at around $15 per pax with service charges and tax. So I am not complaining too much given i understand the constrains of getting their hands on authentic ingredients.
I have to comment on this. Even my fussy travelling partner would attest that the staff at Harris are the friendliest and most efficient bunch. Kudos to them for making our stay a truly enjoyable one. I noticed how they were always cleaning (mopping, scrubbing, sweeping) at walkways at least several times a day. I am very impressed. The place is squeaky clean.
On our first day, we made a huge blunder and went to have our breakfast at 10am ( we thought they close at 11am, our bad) and they were almost closing to prepare the kitchen for lunch. Instead of showing us "bad attitude" for arriving super late for breakfast, a staff ( I think her name is Trisha) at H cafe, helped us pick up some food from the trays so that we get our breakfast. I really appreciate that kind and thoughtful gesture.
That was not the only event we encountered with superb and commendable service,. Manager and GM of Harris should be given credit for the good management and also give a pat on the shoulders to all his staff at Harris. From H SPA to room services to counter crew to restaurant crew and even the security personnel. They are all so polite and sincerely nice. We are super impressed and feel that Singapore should learn hospitality from Harris.
I would like to thank the super thoughtful crews from H cafe for making our night special during our candle light dinner event. At first i think they misunderstood our request. We simply wanted to have an Al fresco dining and not indoor, but we did not expect them to set up a table right next to the pool. We felt so bad that because of the miscommunication, they had to carry the tables to the poolside. I apologize for the trouble. they could have told us the constraints given the rainy weather, yet they went an extra mile just to put a smile on our face.
To be honest, this property is not perfect. Not the most trendy, Luxurious place I've stayed. But it is exactly the charm of this place and most importantly, the people at Harris that has made this trip so memorable for us. We did not pay alot and we did not expect 5 star service or amenities, but we are happy and touched by the unpretentious sincere service and good attitude displayed by each and every member in Harris. I hope that when I return to Harris again sometime soon, the service standard will stay this way. I will definitely vote for them if there is any kind of competition because they truly deserve the award.
You must be wondering then why are some traveler's review so different from mine. Maybe there are a few reasons...
It might be that they were unlucky, or simply too fussy. It depends on your expectations and needs.
- Also Known As:
- Harris Resort Batam Waterfront Hotel
- Harris Resort Batam Waterfront Hotel Batam
- Batam Harris Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A friendly resort facing the strait of Singapore and the sea view with spacious accommodation and giant free form swimming pool. Strategic destination and a perfect vacation spot for couples, families or business purposes. With 308 rooms and suites including 20 cabanas, this hotel has the largest number of room provided in Funky and Trendy Wing.Harris Funky will cater the needs of your most discerning family member while easily keeping the whole group occupied and satisfied. Harris Trendy has the newest and trendiest all inclusive concepts, reserved exclusively for couples and singles over 18 years old of age. Asia’s one of its kind, an all inclusive concept welcomes couples and singles to experience carefree days and endless irresistible nights in Batam. The over 18, adults-only atmosphere allows event the most conventional of guest to throw caution-to-the-wind and experience life like never before. Located just 40 minutes away from Harbourfront Center Singapore, Harris Resort Batam try to persuade its guests to linger with a plethora of water sports & indoor entertainment in the form of a ten-lane bowling alley, Squash & billiards, Go kart, Flying Fox or sea sport activities. Soothe the muscles with one of our treatments at the spa, foot reflexology facilities or head to the giant free-form pool. The H-Spa an oasis of calm and serenity with breathtaking sea views and sunset in the afternoon, provide Harris Fans with a haven to luxuriate and pamper themselves with a selection of Body and Facial treatments masterfully executed by highly trained therapists. Five outlets to ease hunger pains are available by providing Indonesian, Asian and Western cuisines. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, HostelWorld, Tingo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Hotels.com, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.