“Best getaway on a shoestring budget. Impeccable service, Great value and attentive staff.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront

Save Saved
You added HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront to your Saves list
HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   K.H. Ahmad Dahlan Street | Marina Waterfront City, Riau Islands Province 29422, Indonesia   |
Offers & Announcements
Special Promo Rate
Ranked #8 of 64 hotels in Batam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

This is my first post and I hope it is impartial and useful to other travelers. This is my first visit to Harris Resort Batam. As there was mix reviews, my partner and I were a little apprehensive as we didn't want our 10 years anniversary to be a total disaster. However, we wanted to travel without breaking our wallets, so we decided to give Harris a try.
Just want to share our experience. We stayed from 6 to 8 July on honeymoon package.

Location:
Just a few minutes drive away from waterfront ferry terminal, the bus came to pick us up as promised. There was even a special clearance counter at the ferry terminal. Hassle free and fuss free. However, it is 30mins drive away from the "happening zone" in Nagoya, the hotel was accommodating and thoughtful enough to offer guest with one free shuttle service that we have to book. It is on a first come first serve basis. We didn't encounter any problems with the booking. Thumbs up! The good impression starts here....

First impression as we arrived at the lobby:
At one glance, the facade looked old but we felt it was a pretty well kept property never mind the old facade. Greeted by friendly security officials and greet lobby staff who was trying to cope with an influx of guest. They spoke fluent English and was very accommodating towards our request. Free upgrade to a Cabana room was given. It was a spacious room meant for honey-mooners. Given welcome drinks and cold towel (i love the cold towel especially when the weather at Batam is so hot!, but welcome drinks, nothing very special, most of us felt they could give us fruit juices instead, but no biggie really, unless you are super fussy)

Room:
It was spacious, romantic and very special. Linens was clean with no trace of dirt. We inspected very carefully because we read bad reviews about dirty linens, but nothing of that sort at all. Although our room was facing the sea, there was not much of a view, as the beach was not picture-perfect like those in Bali, but I think its fine as the erosion of the sand is not their fault and they didn't claim it was a beach resort so a picturesque view is not expected. The room had everything we needed. Very basic, but sufficient.

However, There are some slight complaints over here, as room was facing the sea, mosquitoes are a big problem throughout our stay. I got stunk real bad. My left leg was swollen and my index finger got bitten. The mosquitoes here are nasty and they are relentless. We tried all sorts of ways to get rid of them, including making use of the mosquito net, spraying vast amount of insecticide provided by the Harris (included in the room) and also igniting the mosquito coils but all our attempts failed miserably.

We found out the sources of where the mosquitoes breed. Firstly, due to the rain, water could have accumulated in the drains outside our rooms. Next, the bath area is the main source. We stayed in Cabana 8 and the flooring in the bath area might have poor drainage giving this mosquitoes a place to breed. As my leg was severely bitten, I suspect that the drainage near the bath area could have been the source where these pesky creatures made their attacks from.
Maybe the hotel management should view this issue of drainage seriously. Probably the design could be modified.

Food:
Here's another problem area. We've tried their daily buffet breakfast (inclusive in our package), Ala carte order of meat lover's pizza for lunch, one candle light dinner (inclusive in our package) and one lunch in Arirang korean restaurant.
I would rate daily breakfast as very basic. More could be done to improve the quality and variety. 7/10 - eggs tend to be overcooked and fried chicken is a tad to dry and tasteless.
I love the cereal and the fried rice.

Meat lover's pizza- SGD$15 is a little pricey but portion is sufficient for 2 not so hungry person. They even offered us some local prawn crackers as starter. SO we have very little to complain. The pizza is above average. Loved the thin crust oven -baked pizza.

Arirang Korean- Even though we spotted a huge crowd of Koreans eating at this place, the food standard is average. Certain dishes should not be attempted without the authentic or close substitute for it. The only satisfactory dish was the Korean (sushi rice roll). The rest like the bean paste stew and some noodle soup was at the very most mediocre. Prices are average at around $15 per pax with service charges and tax. So I am not complaining too much given i understand the constrains of getting their hands on authentic ingredients.
Service:
I have to comment on this. Even my fussy travelling partner would attest that the staff at Harris are the friendliest and most efficient bunch. Kudos to them for making our stay a truly enjoyable one. I noticed how they were always cleaning (mopping, scrubbing, sweeping) at walkways at least several times a day. I am very impressed. The place is squeaky clean.
On our first day, we made a huge blunder and went to have our breakfast at 10am ( we thought they close at 11am, our bad) and they were almost closing to prepare the kitchen for lunch. Instead of showing us "bad attitude" for arriving super late for breakfast, a staff ( I think her name is Trisha) at H cafe, helped us pick up some food from the trays so that we get our breakfast. I really appreciate that kind and thoughtful gesture.

That was not the only event we encountered with superb and commendable service,. Manager and GM of Harris should be given credit for the good management and also give a pat on the shoulders to all his staff at Harris. From H SPA to room services to counter crew to restaurant crew and even the security personnel. They are all so polite and sincerely nice. We are super impressed and feel that Singapore should learn hospitality from Harris.

I would like to thank the super thoughtful crews from H cafe for making our night special during our candle light dinner event. At first i think they misunderstood our request. We simply wanted to have an Al fresco dining and not indoor, but we did not expect them to set up a table right next to the pool. We felt so bad that because of the miscommunication, they had to carry the tables to the poolside. I apologize for the trouble. they could have told us the constraints given the rainy weather, yet they went an extra mile just to put a smile on our face.

To be honest, this property is not perfect. Not the most trendy, Luxurious place I've stayed. But it is exactly the charm of this place and most importantly, the people at Harris that has made this trip so memorable for us. We did not pay alot and we did not expect 5 star service or amenities, but we are happy and touched by the unpretentious sincere service and good attitude displayed by each and every member in Harris. I hope that when I return to Harris again sometime soon, the service standard will stay this way. I will definitely vote for them if there is any kind of competition because they truly deserve the award.

You must be wondering then why are some traveler's review so different from mine. Maybe there are a few reasons...
It might be that they were unlucky, or simply too fussy. It depends on your expectations and needs.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

675 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

I would like to thank all the staff of Harris Resort Batam for their hospitality to us during our stay on 26 June 2010.

We were there to celebrate our 12th anniversary and Harris staff are so friendly that they appeared during our candle light dinner time while we were having desert; they sang us a song to congrats us for our 12th anniversary and also brought us a lovely small cake. Thanks to the GM Mr. Stylianos, his secretary Ms. Diah and the staff of Harris for the arrangement, we both have a memoriable anniversary this year!

Looking forward to see you guys again!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Sg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

My partner and I decided to visit Indonesia for the first time! We did some research and found that Harris Resort is the place that we will stay in considering the positive reviews. We decided to give it a try.

We booked the honeymoon package and extended an additional night. We told them before hand that we will be arriving early and needed to check in early. We arrive at the resort at Waterfront Harbour at 0915 and the friendly staff of Harris resort greeted us with a smile and guided us to a special immigration counter where we need not queue up with other travellers. This is a special queue and It has no people. Most probably I think is because we arrived on a a friday, a weekday, and further more it is an early morning. Special arragnements to pick us up was a mini school bus in orange painted with Harris Resort. The driver and porter were friendly, assisting you in anyway possible. Although they did not speak fluent English, the communication was not a problem. Their service was top notch and you have nothing to complain about. At 0930 hrs, we arrive at the hotel and we checked in at 1000hrs as the room was still in the process of cleaning up.

Friendly staff at the counter were greeting you with a smile. SInce I arrived on a rainy day, the staff provided me an umbrella for us as our rooms are not sheltered. for certain part of the way there.

Our rooms were upgraded free to cabana room and the inside of the room was very spacious. The bedsheets were clean and television channels were ample. There is a dvd player and you can get DVD from the counter to watch the movies.

I requested LAN cables and they sent it to me as soon as possible. I was a very annoying hotel guest as I kept requesting for this and that. Even the hotel staff knows my room number by the end of the day. However, they still serve you with a smile. This is top notch. As I still have other request, their service makes me think that I should be happy with what I have and not ask more. Excellent service I would say.

I think that there were not much beach activities and the indoor activities are a bit expensive. The food wise is the same too. I tried the spa and foot reflexology. They were excellent.

The foot reflexologist had left the deepest impression. His name was Zsenuri. The Foot reflex was suppose to close at 9pm and my wife and I decided to try our luck. He was the only guy avaliable around to service us and told us that he can only service till 10. However, after my hour of service we told him that we wanted another hour for my wife, he agreed. he was alone serving us and still was happy chatting away. When we finish our foot reflexology, it was 11. He extended his service for 2 ours extra and still was happy serving you. He did not reduce his skill in his foot massage in anyway. This is professional.

I will recommend this hotel as my wife and I had a very memorable and positive experience there.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

Not far from waterfront ferry terminal, Harris resort offer a quite stay for business travelers. The resort is spread over a wide area, therefore a good place for kids to enjoy. however, it is far away from the Batam city in isolation. You gocarting in vicinity. Morning yoga lessons are refreshing.
Spa can be tried out. No food/ drink is available if you are late in the evening. Rooms are spacious and neat. Breakfast is good.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

This is my second time to Harris in 6 months. It's ideal for a budget get away for family with young kids. The family package at S$228 comes with 1 set meal, 1 buffet break fast, tickets for bowling, down town transport etc. The hotel pickup from the port is very efficient too. They will be waiting for you. Hotel is a mere 5 min ride away, where staff will be waiting with welcome drinks. You can only check in after 2 pm though. Staff were also very helpful. Each time I made requests, I will be attended promptly. Very friendly staff too. You will find them always greeting you when you pass them along the way. Overall, it is a nice relaxing holiday.

My only complaint is the cost of the ferry tickets from Singapore. At S$40 per adult & $37 per child, the cost of the tickets for a family of 4 is almost as much as the hotel stay itself.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

Stayed in 2 cabanas from 14 to 16 June. Long queue at the check-in so we went for lunch. Heard a lot about the nasi goreng in the Harris cafe but was disappointed with the cold and tough chicken wings. It was packed with a group booking so we had to sit outside. We had to chase off flies with one hand and eat with the other. The pizza was ok. Bill for 2 pizzas, 2 nasi goreng and some drinks -$97.

The pool was nice and big but my boy complained that it was dirty and caused him to itch so we went back to the room. No other activities as the air-soft gun were sent for repair. Some of the wooden planks flooring were loose and my boy cut his toe with one of the nail sticking out. The water for the bath was yellowish and murky.

No additional blankets were available and my boys had to share one. Could not get a booking with the reflexology and they waited an hour to tell us that.

The worst part was the batteries were low and I could not open the safe box. After the housekeeping managed to get that opened - I was locked out of my room. They say that I spoilt my card but at the end said the batteries were low. Never stayed in a hotel before where batteries were low for the lock and the guest locked out!

Went to the ferry terminal 2 hr earlier so that we can go to the ferry earlier. Was quite upset when a group (abt 100) came and went in just minutes before departure. It seemed that you can get an express check out if you pay $1 more each ( your passport will be stamped earlier at the Harris resort) - why didn't anyone tell us that when we waited for the 2 hr? Please note this if you do go to Waterfront ferry terminal for departure.

The staff were very nice and patient but the facilities and system had really spoilt my holiday. The manager apologisd for the lock incident and gave us a complimentary one night stay at the trendy suite subjected to T&C expiring in Sept. However, with such a bad experience, I doubt I will be back.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, June 28, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your feedback that we really appreciate it.
Concerning the check in time is at 2pm Batam time, especially days when the hotel is overcrowded, as the check out time is at 12 noon.
As far as the activities are concerened, harris resort batam is providing a full range of indoor and outdoor activities, such as flying fox, sea sports, cable ski nearby, go karts, bowiling, squash, kids club, free wifi, water polo etc. indeed our soft gun are under repair and we apologise for it.
There are instructions for the usage of the safe deposit box and we encourage our customers to have a look. If they encounter any difficulties our staff are ready anytime to help.
As far as the cabanas are concerned are made especially to accommodate adults and we do not encourage children to stay there. By viewing your reservation no extra bed has been required therefore no additional bedding or blanket or pillows has been provided.
Concerning the ving card lock i have send you an apology letter with the clear explanation that because of the location of the cabanas the humidity and the sand are affecting the electronic mechanism of the locks. My General manager in charge has explained it to You when he met You at the lobby of the hotel.
The water problem has never been brought up to us during your stay but as i am remembering well you have heard another couple complaining about it and you have shared with them your problems when you were at the lobby of the property.
Our swimming pool is cleaned and treated daily by the necessary chemicals.
There is no express clearance at the immigration upon departure of any individuals following the indonesian law.
What have you seen during your departure at the Waterfront city ferry terminal was a group that has all their passports been collected a day before their departure in order to ease their check in at the ferry that day. Harris resort batam is providing a separate counter upon arrival at the waterfront city and a dedicated staff to facilitate the arrival in Batam.
Indeed one night stay has been given to you to as an apology for the ving card mal function and you have asked to extend your stay but unfortunately the resort was heavily overbooked.
If you wish to try the reral harris hospitality just contact me at gm@harris-batam.com.
Thank you once again for your genuine feedback
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

21 May 2010
For all staffs @ Batam Harris Resort

We have recently celebrated our anniversary and stay in your prestige resort from 7th May 2010-9th May 2010 in Room 412. I am writing to extend our sincere thanks and praises to the Harris Resort Team for all the extra effort, fulfilling our requests as much as possible. Our experience was one of the most satisfying I have ever enjoyed with in Batam island.
One week prior to our arrival, I sent an email request via the online inquiry, hopeful that the team had assist me to arrange a private and special celebration for my partner. Being a frequent traveler for occasional celebrations, I was worried that my request would be turned down or ignored. All these worries subsided after I received an email reply from Ms Safitri- Asst Guest Relations Manager, later of the day agreeing with suggestions to make our upcoming stay a memorable and private one for us. I was all excited, with emails correspondences on my requests such as: high floor non-smoking room upon checking-in, making the celebration in planned a surprise for my partner with a customized cake for us. She did an excellent online correspondence by coordinating; working with the various departments such as carbon-copy the request arrangements to the General Manager, Room Reservations, F&B Manager etc.
On our day of arrival, we were welcome promptly with staffs from Harris. During checking in, the room reservation staffs reaffirm my request, by arranging a high-floor non-smoking room. The stay throughout our vacation was a cheery, heart-warming one, as we were greeted by all staffs who met. It’s sweet and nice getting to meet the General Manager- Mr Stylianos Koureas chatting and meeting up with guests on his rounds round the resort. He’s full of energy and passion for the resort. Adding on, we were touched to witness the team work, the spirit, the commitment and passion of each Harris staff over their coordinated dance/ Harris Song during our poolside dinner on our first night. Each and every staff is committed to make every guest a homely touch, exceeding the usual hospitality most people would expect.
On my day of our anniversary celebration, the room reservation department did a great job by decorating our room, while we’re off for sun-bathing, with beautiful petals & complimentary fruit basket in the room. My partner was caught unaware in delightful surprise.  During dinner time, I met up with Ms Safitri privately when she informed me for the dinner venue the team had set-up for our private celebration. They had arranged an exclusive private dinning place by the sea for us. The hut was beautifully decorated. Due to prior heavy noon pour, the table set-up and decors were thoroughly wet, I was rather disappointed. Therefore we decided to relocate and move to a sheltered dinning place outside. Followed up, I went up my room and brought fiancé down for his surprise dinner. He was anticipating to the surprise I’ve for him. This wasn’t it!!
I/ We were extremely surprised and overjoyed that the wet table & set-up were all cleaned up, in less than half and hour of our return back to the venue. It was a great yet lovely present & effort from the Harris team. No signs of water on table, dipping rain, discomfort throughout the dinner affair. Halfway through our dinner, Mr Stylianos Koureas & Ms Safitri came to greet & wish us with complimentary starters and customized cake & song for our celebration.
All these sweet memories gave & left us with excellent praises for Batam Harris Resort. We are definitely one of the satisfied guests in years to come and will definitely highly recommend your resort and will return back again!!!!!!!!

Once again, thank you for the extra miles in making our stay a memorable and special one!! Keep up the good work!

Harrisly Yours, Mr & Mrs Blue-ee 

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront? Share your experiences!