“A place where i can call my 2nd Home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront

Save Saved
You added HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront to your Saves list
HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   K.H. Ahmad Dahlan Street | Marina Waterfront City, Riau Islands Province 29422, Indonesia   |
Special Price
Special Offer
Ranked #8 of 67 hotels in Batam
Singapore, Singapore
“A place where i can call my 2nd Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

keep it very short and simple.. too long ppl will fall asleep... well accomadating staffs.. wonderful service.. great smile.. really miss Harris now.. want to go back when i am free... =)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

740 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

i have always wanted to go this resort eversince i read reviews from tripadvisor but i was hoping to come back writing a good review about it but unfortunately not due to some huge incidents.

me and my partner we booked a 2D1N stay with harris honeymoon package. we longed to have 2 days worth of just relaxation and good food as we have been busy working day in and out and i have planned for this short getaway just to treat him as his birthday surprise .

the first day when we checked in, we given a room in harris cabanas, the chalets lookalike facing the beach, only the beach is not as nice as what we have here but we are not fussy. though i thought that we were supposed to be given a room in harris funky, the new building with new rooms as stated in our reservation printout, again we did not mind in fact we were thrilled as if im not wrong we need to top up certain amount if we wish to upgrade our room to the cabanas.

so we welcome that offer with warm hearts. the room was nicely decorated with flowers on the bed, nicely suited with the 'honeymoon' theme. as we checked ourselves around the room, my guy was standing near the fridge area when he saw some wood dusts falling and LUCKILY for him, he managed to dodge few centimetres away from a wooden board which suddenly fall from the ceiling with a huge bang on the tabletop.

we were speechless. i mean, what could have happened if he was caught off guard? it was not impossible as that's the place where we would be at often as it is in the wardrobe area and the fridge. my guy got away with scratches on his arm.

it is the first time we encountered such incidents and so maybe we thought we would quickly inform the management and get ourselves a new room without making any fuss about it. but the first 'promise' the operator gave us that someone would come right away came in empty. we waited almost 20 minutes staring at each other and looking around the room with doubts that the room that we were in are safe. it spoiled our mood as the treat that is meant for my partner caused him to go back with some injuries which wasnt his fault at all.

and at last only 2 maintainence guy came in and what they did was only to look at the board and straightaway brought it out with them. we waited for another 10 minutes before someone from the housekeeping came in and apologise to us and hoping that we would just laugh it off away.

we were hoping to have some sort of compensation like our wants to be fullifilled as we wanted to have a room in harris funky just like what was stated in our reservation statement but we were told that we have to wait for another half more hour if we want that room. and so in order not to waste our 'precious' holiday time, we relented when they offer us to shift to another room which is just beside our former room.

i though that the 'bad' luck would end just there. we were hoping our frustrations would be cleared away during our 2 hours spa. in fact i have heard reviews which states that the spas are indeed worth it. however another disappointment awaits us when we were told that all the couple rooms for us to have our massage and bath are fully booked. and we have to wait again for another half more hour if we still want the couple room. if we were to be walk in guest i would understand if we are greeted with such news, but we did not even get to choose our timings when we were given a 6pm slot for the spa during our checking in. and what was the point to book an appointment if we couldnt get ourselves with what we want? we booked an honeymoon package and we had to gave in with having our spa in separate huts. we gave in as we did not want to be late for the dinner which ends at 9.30pm.

i am dissatisfied not due to the peak period but due to the fact that we have to wait until 6pm just to find ourselves with no slots.

if not for the fact that my partner was injured due to resort's shortcomings, and were put into timings slots which still left us with no room to occupy, this getaway at harris will at least reach my expectations.

fortunately it saved us some happy moments as the food derved during dinner was delicious.

i hope the resort will look into the maintainence well, as one slight mishap might cause serious consequences.i almost cried to know that my partner almost got himself into serious injury and am really dissatisfied as the matter was taken very lightly.

i hope i could step into harris resort again this time with at least our safety and our needs are taken care of

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
executive5, Stylianos Koureas-General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, March 3, 2010
Dear Guest thank you so much for your sincere feedback and so sorry for the incident that you have mentioned.
You have booked the honeymoon package and the hotel is trying always to upgrade the guest to the beach cabanas that are set up for this very special event.
Indeed a piece of wood has accidentally disconnnected from the wardrobe and my Execuitve Housekeeper has immedaitely came to the room and changed the cabana accordingly. He has in many occasions asked you if everything was ok and you have replied positively.
The harris beach cabanas are newly built and are very famous for the minimalistic design and solitude with open concept bathrooms.
As far as the spa is concerned alllow me to investigate further, as the appointments are set prior of the guest arrival.
Once again thank you so much for bringing to our attention the incidents during your stay and so sorry that was not up to your expectations. Security and safety for our customers are the prior concern of all of us at the Resort.
Please contact me directly at gm@harris-batam.com for further assistance and clarifications.
He has asked
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

We stayed in Harris Batam for 2 nights right after Chinese new year. Harris is the type of resort that is a quiet achiever – beating expectations from the moment we set foot out of the ferry terminal. Just as we were wondering how we were going to get from the terminal to the resort, a porter service magically appeared. They are stationed at the ferry terminal to pick up guests arriving from Singapore.

On arrival at Harris, we were offered a welcome drink and check in was swift which gave us plenty of time to roam around.

The resort was quite full – however, we still felt that it was quiet – which was great for us as we were there for a relaxation trip. We were staying in a suite room in the new Trendy wing which caters for adults over 18 years old. Harris has another wing that caters to families. Our room was spacious and clean.

For our 2 days, we spent most of our time within the hotel, lazing by the pool and taking in various in-house activities from archery to trying out the flying fox to winding down at the spa. The spa is worth a mention as it is quite beautiful on the top floor in a traditional indonesian style architecture.

Everyone was very polite, nice and courteous. Most impressive though is Mr Stylianos, the GM, who demonstrates passion for good service and obviously takes a lot of pride in his work. It is a welcome change to see a GM being so physically involved in the day to day operation and took time out to speak to many guests – he also recommended many activities to us.

It is actually my first time in Batam and I was originally a little skeptical. However, the misconceptions have been cleared all thanks to Harris and I would recommend Harris to anyone looking for a short family break or relaxing spa weekend away.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

I've never thought of writing a review of a hotel because when I pay for a 5 star I expect nothing short of the stars rated, but this hotel totally blown me away that I must share with the rest. There's a sayinhg that you pay peanuts you get monkeys... this time round I get... Kobe Cow! It maybe a little long winded but if you have any intention to go there then pls do bare with me and read through.

My wife, son and me wanted a short getaway for 3 days nearby and decided on Harris even though there are some negative reviews on it. But it is the first time I've seen the GM of a hotel replying to the positive and negative reviews. That gave me great confidence that they are serious in giving good experience.

We arrived on 16th Feb with an open mind and check in was a breeze. They even sent a transport to pick us up at the serkupang ferry terminal. We decided to try the Cabana room meant for honey mooners and we totally loved it. It's a wooden chalet like huts along the beach unders the shade of trees. It has a semi open bath room and a balcony over looking the beach (it's not maldives beautiful) with a day bed. Sitting there with the sea breeze and the trees rustling just totally chill me down. Luxurious it may not be but it has a old "kampong" charm to it. The only thing is the aircon is not cold in the room but with the ceiling fan it's cool enough for us so it's not a problem. The mosquitoes maybe the only problem so you have to be a nature and "Kampong" lover.

However we decided to try the suite for a different feel and they change our rooms without any problem as most CNY holiday makers have already checked out.. The room is located at the "old wing" but it's not old at all. The room is huge at about 80sqm! it has 2 toilets, a huge hall, 2 tvs etc... LOVED IT!

I can't single out any of the staffs for good service because EVERYONE is nice, at least they try hard. And to me that's important. If I must, I will have to say the GM Mr Stylianos is exceptional. His always around the hotel making sure everything is ok, talking to the guests and making his presents felt. This is one thing that i don't usually see even in 5 stars hotel. Bravo!

Personally, the food may not be great but I don't think they are expensive (for hotel standard). I'm sure I can get much cheaper food out of the hotel though. Breakfast can be better but I'm not complaining. The pizza is really nice. Stove baked with lots of toppings over a thin crust. Taste better than those pan pizza chain in my opinion. Grill dinner is reasonable priced with decent quality. But I dish I like the most is the "Maggi" mee goreng with their mouth watering sambal!

The facilities need to be mentioned as well because they are very well priced. 3hrs spa treatment cost only $155. $5 dollars for the flying fox from the 6th storey roof top. $2.50 for a came of bowling. $15 for 15mins of go cart (booking from the hotel is $3 cheaper than paying direct at the track plus they sent and picked us up from the track!) The rest of the facilities are cheap too. We will never be able get these pricing in Singapore.

I can go on and on about the good experience we had there but in general we truly enjoyed ourself. My son can't stop talking about the holiday. If any of you guys want to know more about it pls feel free to contact me and I will try to reply. In fact, we like it so much that we will probably go back there again to celebrate my wife's birthday instead of going Bali that we intended.

For some of the readers that may find my review too good to be true. Here are my true thoughts. Harris is not prefect, in fact it's far from perfect. I just choose not to find fault because I was there for holiday, to enjoy myself, to have a different experience and culture. If one want to find fault with life, it will guarantee to be bad. So at least Harris didn't do anything bad enough for me to find fault with and they didn'y pretend to be something they are not. They are a simple, friendly and well priced resort for families and couples alike.

p.s. The only reason I rated 4 for the sleep was because my wife was disturbed by the noises the rain made due to the semi open concept of the Cabana as she's a light sleeper. My 4yr old boy slept through the night.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

I stayed there for 2 nights with my husband and the cabana cabin was really clean.. Vey romantic as we signed up for the valentine package. The food was expensive though and so were the activities. But must say that the management and staff are very creative; candlelight bowling, candles near the pool and nice music.. Very good impression of the place.. But please keep us updated of the activities there as was mentioned in an earlier review.. thanks..

1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

Before i booked this resort i check around and even check on the website on trip advisor and see what is the review from others. The review i read was good. So i booked and look forward for this trip.

I was there with my son and friends from 15 Feb to 17 Feb. The stay was horrible. When we arrvied on 15 Feb upon check in i was told that the room will be ready in an hour time. I have to keep going to the front desk with a long queue (as there was alot of people because of the long holiday) if our room is ready every time when i was at the front desk the staff just told me the room is not ready. We are not offer with any drinks and to make the waiting worst. The lobby area show NO SMOKING sign but there is alot of smoker smoking everywhere. We have to bear with smoke and waited 2.5 hours before we finally got our room in the OLD wing. As parents with young children i didnt want my son to breath in the second hand smoke. What is the sign for if Harris resort allow people to smoke at the lobby area.

The room look old and you can see dirt around, the floor was dirty and sticky. The toilet is bad. The toilet bowl area we had to lift up the cover so that we dont hv to see those dirty stuff on the blusher. When i look at the towel they are light brown in colour when they are suppose to be white. The face towel is bad as well you can see dirty stain on them. I had to called house keeping to change the towel after changing the towel there is still dirty stain on the towel.

On the second day, i ask to make up rooms. I have to reminder the staff at least 3 times before someone come over and did a "quick" make up of the room. What a service. For the cafe, the place is dirty. Table are not wipe after someone have use them. The food is horrible. We order food from the menu they are expensive 1 THIN regular pizza cost SGD $13 to 15. Lunch buffet include rice and noodles 2 to 3 meat with vegetable and 3 kinds of fruit and 1 glass of soft drink cost SGD $!7 per person.

They have a Dino's kids club there. The schedule show the kids programme start at 9am. When we are at the kids club , no staff from the resort was there. We have to go to the front desk to ask if the programme for the kids club is still on. The kids club look dirty, by looking at the carpet you can tell they are not clean for a long long time. The pool was dirty you can see those small little dot all around the pool. To my suprise, i saw this big hole in the side of the wall in the pool with a hose coming out from there. What happen if someone step on the hose or got suck by the big open hole in the pool. Overall, we didnt enjoy ourself there in the resort. We will not go back there again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, February 18, 2010
Dear Guest thank you so much for your feedback and so sorry to hear your dissapointment with your recent stay at our Resort.
Concerning the Check in time likewise in all properties worldwide is 14hours in the afternoon. On Monday the ferry has arrived at 0920am and the hotel was fully booked the day before due to the chinese new years holidays. As a hotel we try our best to get your room ready as soon as possible and get it cleaned most of the times before 14 hours in the afternoon. Upon arrival we serve a welcome drink, homemade cookies and a refreshing cold towel.
Even there is a non smoking signage in our public areas people are sometimes smoking but our security is reminding them not to do so.
So sorry about the room and the linen. The linen has been recently purchased but due to the quality of the water in batam there are some brown stains on it. You can see the date of purchase of every piece of our linen at the label on the linen.
The cleanliness of your room will be checked and followed up accordingly as it does not reflect the harris standards at all.
Concering our food the prices are reflecting the ones of a 4 stars international property and SGD 13 for a wooden oven 8 pieces pizza we believe the price is reasonable compared to singapore for the same item around 22 to 28 SGD.
Our Nanny at the kids club stands by from 9am to 5am and will not be there during the outdoor kids activities like fishing, snadcastlle making etc.
We well noted the cleanliness issue of our kids club and we will take immediate action for it.
Thank you so much for your genuine feedback and so sorry hearing that you have not enjoyed your stay.,if you need any further assistance kindly contact me at gm@harris-batam.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

My friend, my mum and I stayed at Harris Junior Suite from 12 to 16 Feb 2010. This is the first time that all 3 of us are at the resort and the first time for my mum and I in Batam. We upgraded our Harris Funky Room to Junior Suite at SGD$70 and extra bed of SGD$35 per night. By Indonesia's standard, some people may feel that this is a high price to pay but I LOVE it! The suite was really roomy and we had the pool view. :) The extra bed is of good quality, compared to some "make shift" extra beds I had slept in other countries. It was definitely worth the extra cost. (NB: Though my friend felt that the ratan sofa is good enough to serve as an extra bed!)
Well warned by the numerous reviews that all things are calculated in Singapore dollars, I was prepared to pay usual Singapore rate for all items at the resort though we are talking about Batam, Indonesia.
Yet, I don't think the reviews are as honest. Especially the food, which I was extremely disappointed with. As we were there during the Chinese New Year period, there were compulsory dinners at SGD$45 on 13 and 14 Feb 2010. Though we had taken the package where dinners for both nights have been included, the third person had to pay. Granted that it's a busy season and there are more people staying at the resort, I really think that most of the food tastes below average and pretty bland. Some of the cooked food does taste reasonably well but it's like in the ratio of 1 dish out of 5. Dessert wise, only the ice cream and cookies get the thumbs up. If you have to eat at Harris, please eat the pizza (I give it a grading of 3.5 out of 5). Seriously, I would strongly advised against the BBQ buffet dinner, which costs SGD$30 per person on normal days. After all, at the price quoted, one can get nicer food in Singapore restaurants. Further, for those who like to try alcohols like cocktails, I would like to forewarn that the quality and taste are nowhere near any Singapore hotel/pub. My frozen mango margarita costing SGD$12.50, came as a watery drink. I don't seem to taste mango or the usual alcohol used in those margaritas I have drunk. I complained and was served with yet another half frozen margarita. Let just say that the ice blended bubble tea that you get in Singapore is more frozen than the margarita I took.
Last, I reserved my package over the Internet and the rates quoted were great. The email response was highly efficient, despite my numerous queries. I am extremely satisfied with the customer service officer Uli as I had all sorts of packages for the 4 nights (e.g. room, CNY, and Harris Indulge packages). Do note that the Internet booking is not so "smart" and if you like to try out different packages, you might want to email Harris directly. Another issue that mar the overall experience is that I had assumed that SGD charging will be made to my credit card (since all prices quoted are in SGD). Much to my horror, I was only told at check-out that I either pay in SGD cash or charge via credit at Indonesia rupiah (exchange rate of SGD$1 = 6700 IDR). As I had happily assumed that charging will be made in SDG, I didn't bring much cash, either in the form of SGD or IDR. So I had no choice but to charge to my credit card at a high exchange rate quoted by Harris and be subject to further "loss" when my bank converts INR to SGD. Unlike other countries where room rates are also stated and charged in the countries currency, Harris quoted the rates in Singapore dollars and then converted to IDR in accordance to the exchange rate stipulated by the hotel. So this may further incur "extras" when one pays via credit. Having learnt the lesson, I will bring SGD cash even if it cost over 1K in future.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, February 17, 2010
Dear Guest thank you so much for your genuine feedback during your recent stay at our Resort.
Your positve comments regarding the room and the reservations are well noted.
Let me explain the situation abou the chinese new year' s buffet. At the Resort we are catering various nationalities and the food should much and satisfy various tastes. We are unable to focus exclusively to the chinese food but the buffet should have a variety of food from various regions of the world.
At the moment we are planning to hire a chinese chef that would cater exclusively for our chinese customers. The person will be on board first week of March.
The beverages recipes have been reviewed and the staff has been retrained for making a perfect margarita. Thank you so much for your valuable comment on this.
As far as the payment of the hotel bill is concerned, if a guest pay with a credit card the credit card will be charged in IDR indonesian rupiah as this is the norm and rule at each country. How we calculate the exchange rate is by finding the middle rate which means we add the bank selling rate of ruipiah versus singapore dollar with the buying rate and then we divide by two. These practise is done by the majority of hotels worldwide so the guest receives a fair rate to be charged.
Otherwise you can pay in cash either in singapore dollars or indonesian rupiah so there is no currency exchange involved and the transaction is straightforward.
Once again thank you so much for taking time to express your feedback during your recent stay and looking forward welcoming you at the harris resort batam once again.
I can be contacted directly at gm@harris-batam.com, for any further assistance.

Been to HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront? Share your experiences!