“Good but could have been better!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront

You added HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront to your Saves list
HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   K.H. Ahmad Dahlan Street | Marina Waterfront City, Riau Islands Province 29422, Indonesia   |
Ranked #8 of 75 Hotels in Batam
Singapore
“Good but could have been better!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

Summary
- Stay 3 days 2 nights from 29 Nov to 1 Dec 08
- Excellent Customer Service, always obliging to our requests
- Facilities a bit old and need upgrading
- Construction of new wing slightly noisy (not audible from rooms) but bearable
- Above average food and can bit pricey depending on what you order
- Free shuttle to Nagoya (for shopping) a big plus

1. First Impressions

We arrived at the ferry terminal at about 10 am. The Harris staff was there at the immigration and took care of the clearance. We just zipped through to the customs and boarded the waiting Harris shuttle bus. Harris resort was just 5 min away.

Arrival at the reception was very warm. We were greeted with a nice cold glass of bandung and cold towel. The weather was hot and it was very refreshing. The cookies served was superb!

Over the next 3 days, I realized this greeting routine is the same for all guests. Though it was well rehearsed and the staff are very warm and have a big smile on their faces, I thought they could have one other routine with a different music, dance, drink, etc.

The reception staff -- unfortunately I did not look at her name tag. She is very patient with our many questions and requests. She deserves a customer service award.

2. Rooms

The rooms are big and spacious. Over 20 international cable TV channels including Disney, EPSN, HBO, Star Movies. The room have a tinge of stale furniture smell. Air con (Sanyo) was strong, which was important given the hot weather. We booked an extra bed as we have 2 adults and 2 children in the room, but we had to request housekeeping for extra towels. I thought they could have provided them without us asking. The toilet was average, the bath tub elevation was a bit odd, so the water kept seeping from the bath top onto the floor when we used the shower.

3. Pool

The pool was big with 2 basketball hoops and 2 soccer posts. You could borrow the balls from the towel stand for a game. The resort also organizes water polo games which I see guests clearly enjoyed them. My kids enjoyed the water slide, but it was somewhat old and needed maintenance. The jacuzzi pool was a wreck, the jets are spluttering and almost a goner.

4. Bowling Alley

The alley reminds me of the good 80s. The equipment were very old and lanes not oiled. But balls are new though. We took lane 5 and lane 6 and we need the help of the alley manager to saw mechanical faults at the lanes at least 6 times. But nonetheless, we enjoyed ourselves and the alley manager was very kind to us,

5. F&B

We encountered two big groups and the F&B can't accommodate smaller groups like ours (I have 8 adults and 4 children). We had to sit in the patio for lunch which was very hot (abt 34 deg celsius).

The Arirang restaurant serves Korean and Japanese food. You can give the Chicken Ginseng soup a miss as it hardly tasted like the real thing. Otherwise, the food is 3.5 out of 5.

6. Spa

The spa is very good. Masseurs have good technique. 4 of us tried and all reported very good experience with the scrub, bath and massage (tried Indonesia, Sports, and Hot Stone). We would have gone for a second session had the spa not be fully booked.

7. Currency

Singapore Dollars and Indonesian Rupiah are accepted at the resort, but best to pay in Rupiah as the foreign exchange rate is poor. If you go to Nagoya Hills shopping centre (free hotel shuttle), there is a money changer right at the entrance. They give good rates.

8. Kids Club / Kids' Activities

The kids club was quite pathetic, The toys are old and outdated. My kids (4 & 6 yrs old) didn't last 5 min, They were bored and wanted out. But the kids activities organized at the lobby were not too bad -- colouring, hand painting, balloon sculpturing (but balloons used are of poor quality and burst easily). There are also board games you can borrow like Scrabble, Chess, etc

• Liked — Great Customer Service
  • Disliked — Aging Facilities.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
West
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2008

The maintenance is terrible, wires dangling from the light fixtures of the pool. Rust stains, shaky wooden planks.

The Gym is sparse, but adequate (mill, free weights, cycle, TV). A sound system would be nice. Just remember to bring your own towel and drinking water.

Although the staff are very warm and helpful.

Burning of rubbish, before noon. smokey surrounding.

Maybe food variety can be improved.

The grilling facility of the D-Cafe is a pollution generator.

Room is clean, no waiting area at the reception area.

The construction starts 0800hrs till 2300hrs. Ready by end 2009.

The Cabanas are the worst located, as it is next to the construction site.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — facilities are not maintained as desired.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, November 30, 2008
Thank you for the comments.
Construction of the new Harris Wing will be completed by May 2009 and the noise is very limited, the work for weekdays starts at 8am and finsishes 5pm, weeekend including Friday is completely stopped.
The smoke mentioned to the comments is the daily fogging by our pest control company for eliminating the insects in our surroundings.
The cabanas are completely isolated and there is absolutely no nopise from the construction.
The Wooden deck our the pool is under our maintenance.
For the Fitness center, there is drinking water available and a Satellite Tv.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2008

Booked my trip via Wotif, smooth and seamless.

My kids enjoyed the pool. Breakfast is considered not too bad. Loved the rendang and pancakes (odd combi) but every morning for bf I was having my noodles and food. =)

Lunch and Dinner is overpriced but if you aren't willing to pay the price, you can go to town or go to waterfront (Delima's seafood) for seafood dinner (quite reasonable).

I rated good service due to several reasons:
1) I read previously from forums that some people had issue regards to the coupons. I told the person assisting with finding rooms (same level) for me to let me have our lunch vouchers so that we can have our meal and wait (I dun mind waiting...but let us eat first mah). And he willingly provided us the vouchers. I even highlighted that my 1 hr FOC spa was not included, he said he will check and provide me with the vouchers.

He even got us connecting rooms so that my parents and us are together. While my niece had another room beside us.

2) As the cafe was taken up by a large group (suspect it is a company retreat), there wasn't seats. So the manager and his staff found an extra table and chairs for us to sit and order our lunch. Though it was abit of wait for lunch...it was still okay.

3) My grandnephew was well taken care by 1 of the staff. The lady staff brought my kids and him to walk while we had some peace to eat.

4) The day we left, at waterfront, I realise 1 of the immigration card was wrongly "Typed". The staff helped us clear custom. That's considered VERY good service!

• Stayed November 2008
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

It had been five years since we visited Harris Resort at Batam. We recently re-visited during the long weekend of October. We were amazed with the hassle free clearance when we arrived at the Waterfront Ferry Terminal. The Harris Resort Staff were there to collect our passport and help us with our clearance. We just have to go ahead and take the transport to the resort. This is something we have never experienced before in anywhere. A typical clearance will take you about ten minutes or more.

Our check-in was smooth as well with free Pan Pizza voucher offered by the GM of the resort, who was at the reception greeting all the guests who were checking in. This has been the same since we first visited the resort five years ago. He shared with us of the new facilities which they have. We were amazed with such the big changes that have been done and the improvement the resort has made. Most of the staff were well-versed in English and greeted everyone with a smile.

On the second day after we checked-in, we were late for breakfast arriving just as the restaurant staff were starting to keep the food. To our pleasant surprise, the restaurant staff were ever so helpful, bringing generous portions of food and beverages to our table and asking if we needed any thing else before proceeding with their original task of keeping the food. We were extremely grateful for their thoughts. This was something we had never experienced before in the many places we traveled.

One of the reasons we went for this trip was to celebrate my birthday. After our dinner on the day of my birthday, we went to the bakery to get a slice of cake. However, they had run out of cheese cake. We asked the cashier if they have any more cheese cake at the kitchen for us to purchase as it was my birthday and I wanted to celebrate with my favorite cheese cake. He said he was not sure as all the cakes are usually displaced for selection. He said he would check it for us. A few minutes later, a Manager came to us and asked if he could help. Upon knowing of our request, he asked us to wait for his call in our room so that he could check it. After a while, a lady called us to confirm they have the cheese cake and would send to our room. About several minutes, we heard the door bell and opened the door, and to our amazement, the GM, the Manager and two of the staff were at the door singing birthday song to me in three languages. This was something out of our expectations and it made this trip so memorable and sweet.

We intend to return soon to Batam and Harris Resort.

• Liked — Quiet and clean
  • Disliked — Spa was at another building with no Shelter, but transport can be provided if it rains
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2008

We have just returned from a Harris stay. We originally booked 2 nights and stayed only 1 night because we really didn't think the 2nd night was worth it. Reasons are listed below.

Having read and re-read the reviews on Harris, I can only state that the following is based on my own personal experience and expectations which seem quite different to those that really enjoyed their stay!

Firstly, the staff are great. They try hard and their enthusiastic and helpful. The resort is clean, modern although sterile in it's decor and ambiance.

We had in mind a lush and relaxing resort & beach get-away.

1) Batam and the surrounding area is highly industrial and this is very visible from the resort. The water is not clean or inviting. There is a massive sewerage pipe running from the resort out to sea.
2) the cabanas, where we stayed, are located in one of the most unkept / dirtiest beaches I have ever seen at a resort. Dear Management: clean it up because its state is unacceptable. There is rubbish and unidentifiable industrial material strewn all over it.
3) the resort is under construction and the cabanas back onto the construction site. ¸The noise was disruptive and continued until 10pm. We have 2 kids under 3 years so the construction noise was a factor to us as we were based approx. 5m away. We were not warned about the construction.
4) the pool looked good on the web and not too bad in person but there's little shade / lush foliage to really make a pleasant stay. It was hot and without a lot of shade it was really unbearable.

During our stay we went to diner at the waterfront Delima 'restaurant' and that was a good feed and very cheap S$24 for few dishes and beer. $3 taxi fare to get there.

Overall, I personally cannot recommend Batam and therefore Harris for a short relaxing, lush, beach get-away. Read the other review and you may find another reason to go.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — sterile decor and atmosphere, dirty beach, industrial outlook, construction noise
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, November 1, 2008
Thank you for the comments, indeed Batam is not carribean sea, but located in malacca straits , an area busy with naval and marine shipping construction.
Harris is not famous for the beach but is very well known for the biggest swimming pool on the Island of Batam, sea sports, spa , food, activities and service.
There is no sewage pipe going to the sea, but the pipe shown in the picture is the pipe that takes sea water for our shrimp farm.
The beach is clean enough in front of the cabanas and elsewere around the resort. The Guest has taken picture during low tide which everywhre will be the same condition.
The construction is until 5pm and is not bothering any of the rooms. During weekends is very limited noise as we respect the guest relaxation and well being.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2008

My family & I have just returned from yet another lovely weekend at Harris Resort, Batam. We have visited Harris many times before on holiday because they take such great care of their guests. My children love Harris because of all the activities they provide. Nothing is ever too much trouble. Even though English is not the first language used by the staff they are really warm and inviting. I have worked in many hotels in the UK and Australia and I can honestly say I have never before experienced such warm and caring customer service. The GM himself, a charming person, is often there at check-in to greet guests which I believes enhances the overall professionalism of the property. The management & staff are multi-skilled & you often see them out of their traditional roles, helping out or organising a fun, games evening for guests at the Poolside BBQ in the evening, The pool is great & games are arranged by the staff for children & adults alike during the late afternoon. It is great fun. The rooms are thoroughly cleaned and replenished & towels and sheets are changed every day. I would thoroughly recommend Harris Resort to anyone wishing to get away for a relaxing weekend or even mid-week if you can manage it. I think they have some good deals at the moment!!

Thanks
Annette

• Liked — The warm & caring management & staff
  • Disliked — Nothing at all!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

We totally enjoyed ourselves. Although the grounds were smaller than I expected, there was alot to do and enjoy. The staff was amazingly friendly, upgraded us with no advance notice. We were given a personal tour of the property by the manager. The manager went out of his way, to connect us with a hotel in Cambodia for a future trip and made the arrangements while we were there.

We had booked this hotel through our RCI points and wasn't sure of the "welcome" we'd receive as we had a discounted stay, but the staff was above and beyond friendly.

• Liked — clean, comfortable
  • Disliked — property was abit on it's own and a way out of town
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront? Share your experiences!