“Expansion / Construction in progress” 2 of 5 stars
Review of HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront

Save Saved
You added HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront to your Saves list
HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   K.H. Ahmad Dahlan Street | Marina Waterfront City, Riau Islands Province 29422, Indonesia   |
Special Price
Special Offer
Ranked #6 of 66 hotels in Batam
West
“Expansion / Construction in progress”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2008

The maintenance is terrible, wires dangling from the light fixtures of the pool. Rust stains, shaky wooden planks.

The Gym is sparse, but adequate (mill, free weights, cycle, TV). A sound system would be nice. Just remember to bring your own towel and drinking water.

Although the staff are very warm and helpful.

Burning of rubbish, before noon. smokey surrounding.

Maybe food variety can be improved.

The grilling facility of the D-Cafe is a pollution generator.

Room is clean, no waiting area at the reception area.

The construction starts 0800hrs till 2300hrs. Ready by end 2009.

The Cabanas are the worst located, as it is next to the construction site.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — facilities are not maintained as desired.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, November 30, 2008
Thank you for the comments.
Construction of the new Harris Wing will be completed by May 2009 and the noise is very limited, the work for weekdays starts at 8am and finsishes 5pm, weeekend including Friday is completely stopped.
The smoke mentioned to the comments is the daily fogging by our pest control company for eliminating the insects in our surroundings.
The cabanas are completely isolated and there is absolutely no nopise from the construction.
The Wooden deck our the pool is under our maintenance.
For the Fitness center, there is drinking water available and a Satellite Tv.

739 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2008

Booked my trip via Wotif, smooth and seamless.

My kids enjoyed the pool. Breakfast is considered not too bad. Loved the rendang and pancakes (odd combi) but every morning for bf I was having my noodles and food. =)

Lunch and Dinner is overpriced but if you aren't willing to pay the price, you can go to town or go to waterfront (Delima's seafood) for seafood dinner (quite reasonable).

I rated good service due to several reasons:
1) I read previously from forums that some people had issue regards to the coupons. I told the person assisting with finding rooms (same level) for me to let me have our lunch vouchers so that we can have our meal and wait (I dun mind waiting...but let us eat first mah). And he willingly provided us the vouchers. I even highlighted that my 1 hr FOC spa was not included, he said he will check and provide me with the vouchers.

He even got us connecting rooms so that my parents and us are together. While my niece had another room beside us.

2) As the cafe was taken up by a large group (suspect it is a company retreat), there wasn't seats. So the manager and his staff found an extra table and chairs for us to sit and order our lunch. Though it was abit of wait for lunch...it was still okay.

3) My grandnephew was well taken care by 1 of the staff. The lady staff brought my kids and him to walk while we had some peace to eat.

4) The day we left, at waterfront, I realise 1 of the immigration card was wrongly "Typed". The staff helped us clear custom. That's considered VERY good service!

• Stayed November 2008
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

It had been five years since we visited Harris Resort at Batam. We recently re-visited during the long weekend of October. We were amazed with the hassle free clearance when we arrived at the Waterfront Ferry Terminal. The Harris Resort Staff were there to collect our passport and help us with our clearance. We just have to go ahead and take the transport to the resort. This is something we have never experienced before in anywhere. A typical clearance will take you about ten minutes or more.

Our check-in was smooth as well with free Pan Pizza voucher offered by the GM of the resort, who was at the reception greeting all the guests who were checking in. This has been the same since we first visited the resort five years ago. He shared with us of the new facilities which they have. We were amazed with such the big changes that have been done and the improvement the resort has made. Most of the staff were well-versed in English and greeted everyone with a smile.

On the second day after we checked-in, we were late for breakfast arriving just as the restaurant staff were starting to keep the food. To our pleasant surprise, the restaurant staff were ever so helpful, bringing generous portions of food and beverages to our table and asking if we needed any thing else before proceeding with their original task of keeping the food. We were extremely grateful for their thoughts. This was something we had never experienced before in the many places we traveled.

One of the reasons we went for this trip was to celebrate my birthday. After our dinner on the day of my birthday, we went to the bakery to get a slice of cake. However, they had run out of cheese cake. We asked the cashier if they have any more cheese cake at the kitchen for us to purchase as it was my birthday and I wanted to celebrate with my favorite cheese cake. He said he was not sure as all the cakes are usually displaced for selection. He said he would check it for us. A few minutes later, a Manager came to us and asked if he could help. Upon knowing of our request, he asked us to wait for his call in our room so that he could check it. After a while, a lady called us to confirm they have the cheese cake and would send to our room. About several minutes, we heard the door bell and opened the door, and to our amazement, the GM, the Manager and two of the staff were at the door singing birthday song to me in three languages. This was something out of our expectations and it made this trip so memorable and sweet.

We intend to return soon to Batam and Harris Resort.

• Liked — Quiet and clean
  • Disliked — Spa was at another building with no Shelter, but transport can be provided if it rains
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2008

We have just returned from a Harris stay. We originally booked 2 nights and stayed only 1 night because we really didn't think the 2nd night was worth it. Reasons are listed below.

Having read and re-read the reviews on Harris, I can only state that the following is based on my own personal experience and expectations which seem quite different to those that really enjoyed their stay!

Firstly, the staff are great. They try hard and their enthusiastic and helpful. The resort is clean, modern although sterile in it's decor and ambiance.

We had in mind a lush and relaxing resort & beach get-away.

1) Batam and the surrounding area is highly industrial and this is very visible from the resort. The water is not clean or inviting. There is a massive sewerage pipe running from the resort out to sea.
2) the cabanas, where we stayed, are located in one of the most unkept / dirtiest beaches I have ever seen at a resort. Dear Management: clean it up because its state is unacceptable. There is rubbish and unidentifiable industrial material strewn all over it.
3) the resort is under construction and the cabanas back onto the construction site. ¸The noise was disruptive and continued until 10pm. We have 2 kids under 3 years so the construction noise was a factor to us as we were based approx. 5m away. We were not warned about the construction.
4) the pool looked good on the web and not too bad in person but there's little shade / lush foliage to really make a pleasant stay. It was hot and without a lot of shade it was really unbearable.

During our stay we went to diner at the waterfront Delima 'restaurant' and that was a good feed and very cheap S$24 for few dishes and beer. $3 taxi fare to get there.

Overall, I personally cannot recommend Batam and therefore Harris for a short relaxing, lush, beach get-away. Read the other review and you may find another reason to go.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — sterile decor and atmosphere, dirty beach, industrial outlook, construction noise
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, November 1, 2008
Thank you for the comments, indeed Batam is not carribean sea, but located in malacca straits , an area busy with naval and marine shipping construction.
Harris is not famous for the beach but is very well known for the biggest swimming pool on the Island of Batam, sea sports, spa , food, activities and service.
There is no sewage pipe going to the sea, but the pipe shown in the picture is the pipe that takes sea water for our shrimp farm.
The beach is clean enough in front of the cabanas and elsewere around the resort. The Guest has taken picture during low tide which everywhre will be the same condition.
The construction is until 5pm and is not bothering any of the rooms. During weekends is very limited noise as we respect the guest relaxation and well being.
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2008

My family & I have just returned from yet another lovely weekend at Harris Resort, Batam. We have visited Harris many times before on holiday because they take such great care of their guests. My children love Harris because of all the activities they provide. Nothing is ever too much trouble. Even though English is not the first language used by the staff they are really warm and inviting. I have worked in many hotels in the UK and Australia and I can honestly say I have never before experienced such warm and caring customer service. The GM himself, a charming person, is often there at check-in to greet guests which I believes enhances the overall professionalism of the property. The management & staff are multi-skilled & you often see them out of their traditional roles, helping out or organising a fun, games evening for guests at the Poolside BBQ in the evening, The pool is great & games are arranged by the staff for children & adults alike during the late afternoon. It is great fun. The rooms are thoroughly cleaned and replenished & towels and sheets are changed every day. I would thoroughly recommend Harris Resort to anyone wishing to get away for a relaxing weekend or even mid-week if you can manage it. I think they have some good deals at the moment!!

Thanks
Annette

• Liked — The warm & caring management & staff
  • Disliked — Nothing at all!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

We totally enjoyed ourselves. Although the grounds were smaller than I expected, there was alot to do and enjoy. The staff was amazingly friendly, upgraded us with no advance notice. We were given a personal tour of the property by the manager. The manager went out of his way, to connect us with a hotel in Cambodia for a future trip and made the arrangements while we were there.

We had booked this hotel through our RCI points and wasn't sure of the "welcome" we'd receive as we had a discounted stay, but the staff was above and beyond friendly.

• Liked — clean, comfortable
  • Disliked — property was abit on it's own and a way out of town
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
AlexeyMaricha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

I know this hotel from my boyfriend. It was my first trip to Batam. I came with my boyfriend. There was satff from harris pick us up from waterfront ferry terminal.

The check in was smooth. We are greeted with their welcoming dance. A lot of staff was dancing with their big smile on their face.
We got the welcome drink, cookies and cool towel.The GM of the hotel who introduced himself to us offer us the free upgraded to Japanese suite. He showed us the room by himself. The room was fabolous and they have private jacuzzi on the balcony.

I love the ambiance and the atmosphere. The staff are very friendly. Swimming pool is ver huge and they have a very unique furniture surrounding swimmin pool.

We went for the spa. The massage was okay and cheap.

The most memorable from this trip was dinner time. We ate in H grill. The food was great with very big portion. The sea view at night was excellent with the romantic candle on the table.

Suddenly the staff came and sang a love song to us with a big guitar. They brought a cake and a bouquet of roses. My boyfriend was proposing me to marry him and I said yes. It was wonderful.

The GM of the hotel Mr. Stylianos who we met during check in time gave us the congratulation and allowed us to make the firework to celebrate our happy night

We will come back again to this resort. The service is excellence, the staff are very polite and cheerful, the food was great and they have a big swimming pool

• Liked — Friendliness of staff
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront? Share your experiences!