“Harris; so-so, Batam; not good” 2 of 5 stars
Review of HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront

Save Saved
You added HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront to your Saves list
HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   K.H. Ahmad Dahlan Street | Marina Waterfront City, Riau Islands Province 29422, Indonesia   |
Offers & Announcements
Special Offer
Ranked #8 of 69 hotels in Batam
singapore
“Harris; so-so, Batam; not good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2008

We have just returned from a Harris stay. We originally booked 2 nights and stayed only 1 night because we really didn't think the 2nd night was worth it. Reasons are listed below.

Having read and re-read the reviews on Harris, I can only state that the following is based on my own personal experience and expectations which seem quite different to those that really enjoyed their stay!

Firstly, the staff are great. They try hard and their enthusiastic and helpful. The resort is clean, modern although sterile in it's decor and ambiance.

We had in mind a lush and relaxing resort & beach get-away.

1) Batam and the surrounding area is highly industrial and this is very visible from the resort. The water is not clean or inviting. There is a massive sewerage pipe running from the resort out to sea.
2) the cabanas, where we stayed, are located in one of the most unkept / dirtiest beaches I have ever seen at a resort. Dear Management: clean it up because its state is unacceptable. There is rubbish and unidentifiable industrial material strewn all over it.
3) the resort is under construction and the cabanas back onto the construction site. ¸The noise was disruptive and continued until 10pm. We have 2 kids under 3 years so the construction noise was a factor to us as we were based approx. 5m away. We were not warned about the construction.
4) the pool looked good on the web and not too bad in person but there's little shade / lush foliage to really make a pleasant stay. It was hot and without a lot of shade it was really unbearable.

During our stay we went to diner at the waterfront Delima 'restaurant' and that was a good feed and very cheap S$24 for few dishes and beer. $3 taxi fare to get there.

Overall, I personally cannot recommend Batam and therefore Harris for a short relaxing, lush, beach get-away. Read the other review and you may find another reason to go.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — sterile decor and atmosphere, dirty beach, industrial outlook, construction noise
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, November 1, 2008
Thank you for the comments, indeed Batam is not carribean sea, but located in malacca straits , an area busy with naval and marine shipping construction.
Harris is not famous for the beach but is very well known for the biggest swimming pool on the Island of Batam, sea sports, spa , food, activities and service.
There is no sewage pipe going to the sea, but the pipe shown in the picture is the pipe that takes sea water for our shrimp farm.
The beach is clean enough in front of the cabanas and elsewere around the resort. The Guest has taken picture during low tide which everywhre will be the same condition.
The construction is until 5pm and is not bothering any of the rooms. During weekends is very limited noise as we respect the guest relaxation and well being.

762 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2008

My family & I have just returned from yet another lovely weekend at Harris Resort, Batam. We have visited Harris many times before on holiday because they take such great care of their guests. My children love Harris because of all the activities they provide. Nothing is ever too much trouble. Even though English is not the first language used by the staff they are really warm and inviting. I have worked in many hotels in the UK and Australia and I can honestly say I have never before experienced such warm and caring customer service. The GM himself, a charming person, is often there at check-in to greet guests which I believes enhances the overall professionalism of the property. The management & staff are multi-skilled & you often see them out of their traditional roles, helping out or organising a fun, games evening for guests at the Poolside BBQ in the evening, The pool is great & games are arranged by the staff for children & adults alike during the late afternoon. It is great fun. The rooms are thoroughly cleaned and replenished & towels and sheets are changed every day. I would thoroughly recommend Harris Resort to anyone wishing to get away for a relaxing weekend or even mid-week if you can manage it. I think they have some good deals at the moment!!

Thanks
Annette

• Liked — The warm & caring management & staff
  • Disliked — Nothing at all!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

We totally enjoyed ourselves. Although the grounds were smaller than I expected, there was alot to do and enjoy. The staff was amazingly friendly, upgraded us with no advance notice. We were given a personal tour of the property by the manager. The manager went out of his way, to connect us with a hotel in Cambodia for a future trip and made the arrangements while we were there.

We had booked this hotel through our RCI points and wasn't sure of the "welcome" we'd receive as we had a discounted stay, but the staff was above and beyond friendly.

• Liked — clean, comfortable
  • Disliked — property was abit on it's own and a way out of town
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
AlexeyMaricha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

I know this hotel from my boyfriend. It was my first trip to Batam. I came with my boyfriend. There was satff from harris pick us up from waterfront ferry terminal.

The check in was smooth. We are greeted with their welcoming dance. A lot of staff was dancing with their big smile on their face.
We got the welcome drink, cookies and cool towel.The GM of the hotel who introduced himself to us offer us the free upgraded to Japanese suite. He showed us the room by himself. The room was fabolous and they have private jacuzzi on the balcony.

I love the ambiance and the atmosphere. The staff are very friendly. Swimming pool is ver huge and they have a very unique furniture surrounding swimmin pool.

We went for the spa. The massage was okay and cheap.

The most memorable from this trip was dinner time. We ate in H grill. The food was great with very big portion. The sea view at night was excellent with the romantic candle on the table.

Suddenly the staff came and sang a love song to us with a big guitar. They brought a cake and a bouquet of roses. My boyfriend was proposing me to marry him and I said yes. It was wonderful.

The GM of the hotel Mr. Stylianos who we met during check in time gave us the congratulation and allowed us to make the firework to celebrate our happy night

We will come back again to this resort. The service is excellence, the staff are very polite and cheerful, the food was great and they have a big swimming pool

• Liked — Friendliness of staff
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

I read in someone's review that he told the resort that it was his fiance's bday and they arranged a bday surprise for her. Hence, i emailed harris too saying that it was my boyfriend's 21st bday. Yani (theirs sales rep) replied very quickly, saying that she can help with that. With a free small cake and a surprise! So sweet of her. Had a very good impression of harris even before i reached (:

Upon reaching batam ferry, we were brought to the side, took our passports and tickets and sent us on the free shuttle bus to the resort! We didnt have to queue to pass through customs!! Awesome! hahas

When we reached, we were greeted warmly by the stuff , with a drink and hot towel to refresh ourselves. Because we reached at 12 and check in time was 2, we had to wait. That was quite a damper. But, we occupied ourselves by walking around and checking out the place. SUPER nice pool! The spa place is like located at some errr. seperate building-which doesnt look very nice. But, acceptable i guess.

Still had some time till 2, so we redeemed our free lunch. It was either a set lunch each(a range of rice with food-abit like our mix veg rice style) or apan pizza per room. The set lunch didnt look appetising to us, so we took the pizza. It was not bad. Though quite little! Totally not filling. haha

After eating, we went to the counter to check again if we can check in already. Had to ask numerous times. We had to keep going over to ask when is the room ready. BUT. Finally when we got our room, THE WAIT WAS WORTH IT!!! They had upgraded us to the Cabana Room! So sweet of them! i guess that was the surprise! ((: The room's pretty pretty! hahas
(If your not a couple, do not opt for the cabana room. Toilet has no privacy.)

We decided to go do their water sports after unpacking. Hmmm. Their water sports are quite ex. Only kayaking was cheap. We had a lot of fun time basking in the sun! Went to some island and saw monkeys! haha

After that, was DINNER!! we opted for the indonesian buffet, located at the pool side. Nice ambience. And GREAT FOOD! i love the beef remdang! Yum yum. hahas There was even a live band! (:
Yani came over to say hi! Finally got to meet the wonderful woman. She brought the cake out and the band sung a birthday song for my bf. So sweet of them. haha But that night, there were ALOT of birthdays. So, the novelty of the idea wore off by the time it reached my bf's. haha But my bf was still soooo touched!

Next day, we woke up early for breakfast(which was quite nice) then went for the spa. Intially, before arriving at the resort, i was told that the spa was fully booked. But when i went down, there were like many empty slots! Puzzled. But oh wellll.
We did traditional indonesian message(1hr) and herbal bathe(1/2 hr). They were having 40% off! So it was quite a good deal.
After payment, we were lead to one of the many huts on the roof top. Soooo niceeeeee!!! There were two message beds and a bathetub. Undescribeable! And the message was good! Herbal bathe was sooo relaxing! Hmm, only thing was that, our appt time was 9 but we reached at 915. The massage ended at about 10. I guess you cant be late huh. hahas

Wanted to do dry sport on 2nd day, so after the spa, we checked out and decided to do go to the much anticipated GO-CART!!!
HUGE DISPPOINTMENTTT!!! We spent like half an hour finding it and guess wad. It was outside of the resort, in enclosed cage. It was like abandoned. No way of getting in and no staff tending to it. ))): Sad.

After that. we were both super shagged. Ended up sleeping on the sofa for 3 hours. hahahas!

OVERALL!!!
Awesome resort if your looking for a nice getaway to relax! The stuff are super duper friendly! You'll get caught up in their one-big-family. haha
However, if your looking to go to the resort to do their indoor/outdoor sports, probably not a good idea.

Mentioned some stuff above that they could perhaps improve on. But they are all just minor stuffs i guess. I still had an enjoyable stay!
Would DEFINITELY go back again!!!

THANK YOU HARRIS RESORT TEAM!!
Esp YANI!!((:

• Liked — The friendly staffs!
  • Disliked — The sports facilities.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

Stayed at Harris Batam from 12-15 th October. We had booked on the internet and recieved a total bill of 198 sing dollars for three nights stay . Upon check in we were told there had been a mistake and our bill went up from 198 sing to 250 Sing!!!!!. We were expected to pay 20 dollars for breakfast on top of a charge of 98 dollars per room. We had booked the super deal package and obviously it was not a super deal at all. My husband and I were fuming that after we had a written confirmation for a price of 198 sing dollars for three nights that they would honor this. They did not.
We told the staff that we did not want breakfast charged at 10 sing dollars per person and we would do without.

We never saw the manager or deputy manager once in our three nights at Harris. Where were they? we heard so much about the manager welcoming guests, well where the heck was he???
Our room was fine until we lay on the bed and discovered a dry blood stain on our sheet. I felt sick when I saw this. Wjhy would staff put a stained bedsheet on a bed knowing customers will see it?

We went into the D Lounge for drinks and to listen to the band only to find that it had been taken over by a very loud Singaporean man and his possy. He was so embarrasing. He took over the singers microphone, as well as the guitar and drums. He was very embarrassing and twice as annoying. The band were very patient in putting up with this clown of a man. He was so loud and extremely annoying and should bear in mind that other guests do not want to listen to his awful warbling along with his wife and her friends line dancing and making fools of themselves. They would not give up at all.

This was our third trip to Harris and the staff could not be less interested in welcoming returning guests as they had no clue. I really doubt we would return to Harris resort Batam again because of our last experience there.
The Japanese/Korean restaurant is very expensive and the service is rubbish. The staff are incompetent and do not know what service is apart from standing in the doorway sniggering at customers, very rude.
As a couple of previous posters mentioned also that they were not happy with Harris Resort Batam this may be a wake up call for the management to do something about it and maybe try putting in the odd appearance for the guests now and again instead of not at all.
Very dissapointed with our third stay at Harris and will look elsewhere next month.

• Liked — size of the bed
  • Disliked — certain front staff not honouring our reservation and check inn. mosquitoes (bitten five times) invisible manager and his deputy were never seen.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, October 25, 2008
Thank you so much for your feedback, the package you have bought has been emailed to You with clear details:Super deal for the first two nights:SGD132, third night simple deal:SGD98 wihout breakfast, breakfast SGD 20, total of the package SGD250.
In the Resort there is a General Manager, General manager in charge in case of the absence of the General manager and a duty manager for 24 hours whose photo is posted at the Front office. All three of them can be contacted anytime around the clock.
As far as the japanese restaurant is operated by a third party. This managemens is changing by end of October 2008 for a better quality of service and food.
Thank you so much for alerting us on the various issues and looking forward to welcome you at the Harris Resort Batam once again
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2008

Before i start my review, i would like to stress that this is just my personal view and experience.

I had went to Harris Resort for a couple of times and everytime Harris Resort had done a wonderful job by welcoming the guests and all the staffs were busy, trying to check in as many guests as possible. I could see that some of the staffs even went to the extend of checking in guests from the lounge area by ushering them from the main lobby in order to prevent conjestion.

It was a Saturday and there were many guests at Harris Resort. Naturally, the staffs had a difficult time handling the crowd. But the efforts that they put in to accomodate the guests is sometime that is worth mentioning.

Harris Resort at the end of the day, is just another simple resort in it's own unique way, but i can see that Harris do take the intiative to make their guests feel warmly. For example, that nite itself, i see the staffs celebrating the birthdays of 3 different persons during dinner. I mean how do they know the person's birthdays and where they sit and how they looked like? I understand that these are some of the efforts taken by the staffs of Harris and i really appreciate them eventhough i was not the birthday guy.

Harris Resort, good job!! Keep the Spirits up...dun take the adverse comments to heart, just like wat i had said one man's food maybe another man's poison.

• Liked — Spa, room and attitude
  • Disliked — Nil
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront? Share your experiences!