“One man's food, another man's poison” 5 of 5 stars
Review of HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront

Save Saved
You added HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront to your Saves list
HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   K.H. Ahmad Dahlan Street | Marina Waterfront City, Riau Islands Province 29422, Indonesia   |
Special Price
Special Offer
Ranked #8 of 71 Hotels in Batam
Singapore
“One man's food, another man's poison”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2008

Before i start my review, i would like to stress that this is just my personal view and experience.

I had went to Harris Resort for a couple of times and everytime Harris Resort had done a wonderful job by welcoming the guests and all the staffs were busy, trying to check in as many guests as possible. I could see that some of the staffs even went to the extend of checking in guests from the lounge area by ushering them from the main lobby in order to prevent conjestion.

It was a Saturday and there were many guests at Harris Resort. Naturally, the staffs had a difficult time handling the crowd. But the efforts that they put in to accomodate the guests is sometime that is worth mentioning.

Harris Resort at the end of the day, is just another simple resort in it's own unique way, but i can see that Harris do take the intiative to make their guests feel warmly. For example, that nite itself, i see the staffs celebrating the birthdays of 3 different persons during dinner. I mean how do they know the person's birthdays and where they sit and how they looked like? I understand that these are some of the efforts taken by the staffs of Harris and i really appreciate them eventhough i was not the birthday guy.

Harris Resort, good job!! Keep the Spirits up...dun take the adverse comments to heart, just like wat i had said one man's food maybe another man's poison.

• Liked — Spa, room and attitude
  • Disliked — Nil
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2008

Hi travellers,

Upon reaching the Harris Resort lobby, we were greeted by a group of very friendly staff with loud jingles and a clown hiding in a soup. I was quite impressed by the enthusiasm of the orange tee-shirt staffs.

There was a big crowd at the reception and a staff approached us for the hotel confirmation slip. My friend passed to the staff and we were asked to wait while they process the check-in.

We understand that it may take a while for us to check in due to the high volume of guest, I decided to wait at a corner where there is a sofa. After waiting for almost an hour, it seems that there is no response from my friend at the reception area. The reception area is cleared with only 2-3 couples - obviously most guest had checked-in. I went to check on the situation and was told by my friend that there are several staff handling our package. So I went back to the same sofa corner and waited for another 30mins or so. Then my friend came and told us to go for lunch first at the cafe.

I found a nice space in the cafe and served by a waitress asking for our choice of food. She then explained to us some very confusing food vouchers entitlements that we are not aware of. She asked for the food vouchers which we do not have it. My friend told the waitress to check with the manager for the voucher - we did not received any vouchers or anything besides the map in a lanyard.

There came a man and claimed that he is the 'senior manager' of the resort. He asked if we are having some problems with the resort. I said yes we are having some big problems. Another friend asked him to imagine that how would he feel if he is the customer who had waited for rooms for hours but the request was passed around a few staff.
His words was ,'If you do not like this resort, you can always go to other hotels and we will refund you'. At this moment, all of us were extremely SHOCKED by his reply.
Two of my friends pulled him one side to discuss further.

After that, my friends came back and told us that we had our rooms and the 'Senior Manager' had realised that his staff had made some mistakes on our arrangement. He offered us some 'Foot Massage Vouchers' and persuade us that it will definitely be 'a place to heaven', we rejected the voucher and he did not want to take it back. we left it at the receptionist - No apology was given to us for your information.

I need to call up both the Harris Singapore & Jakarta office using my mobile phone to demand for an explanation. I had asked for the superior of the 'Senior Manager' however it seems that they are not available(Saturday). I left a message in both offices to the subordinates of the 'Senior Manager' and requested for an acknowledgement of my greivances via email by Saturday night - A check on Sunday night showed that both office did not acknowledge me.

Anyway, we had our lunch, check-into the hotel rooms however, there is something that is permanent in our mind - Are we going to enjoy the Harris after the commotion?

The key points:

1. We were not given any vouchers to go for lunch which the waitress asked for. - That means we had not check-in and get any of these vouchers
2. If there are no rooms available, the staff should inform us about the time to check-in so that we would not have to wait at the reception for so long.
3. My friend who organised this trip is embarrased in front of all his friends. It is supposed to be a short getaway for us to catch up. - That is why he pulled the 'Senior Manager' aside.
4. When the 'Senior Manager' asked what is our problem, did he investigate or check with his staffs before talking to us?
5. Is he listening to our problem?
5. If a 'senior manager' can tell a guest such things, would the rest of Harris be the same?

After all the commotion after 10mins check-in, we decided to seek other available resorts in batam and again my friend used his mobile phone to enquire. Fortunately for us, we manage to secure an alternative room.

We looked for the 'Senior Manager' and told him that we would like to take his offer not to stay in Harris. He agreed however, there was no proper documents given to us and mentioned that we have to claim it back at Singapore office. We left the Harris and headed to the booked hotel. Upon that, We don't feel good as the impression of this 'Senior Manager' seems not reliable for what he had claimed. What if he turned back his 'words'? My friend decided to go back to Harris and demand for a black-and-white. They came back with no outcome and does not want to bring this unhappiness to us.

Anyway, we had fun at the other resort - no regrets for choosing it.

The only consolation came when we are back in Singapore on Monday, when the Singapore office called to apologise to my friend for the unpleasant trip. It was followed by an email to address our complaints which is very professional.

How can I rate Harris after our experience? There seems to be no way to rate these factors -price, service, quality, food, activities.

So, consider your choice.

• Liked — The service skills that the hotel staff possess.
  • Disliked — Makes my mind and energy worked very hard.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
SG
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

I had stayed there twice and I'm still looking forward to return to Harris in the near future. The staff were helpful and cheerful. And they always serve you with a smile. The spa packages are cheap and worth every penny spent. I got a deluxe room with a great pool view and it comes with a 3 hr spa treatment for 2. This deal also inludes ferry transfer, lunch and breakfast. I couldnt get any cheaper than this... The rooms were clean and spacious and the suites were great too... They have plenty activities too, bowling, karaoke, soft gun, archery, water sports... And if you have kids, they have a Dino club for them so you can fully enjoy your holidays without your kids around...

• Liked — The spa
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2008

My girlfriend and I were spending our 2nd year anniversary over at Harris. The spa experience was very good, considering that this is the first time I tried out the body scrub and aromatherapy massage as part of the spa package.

But actually, what stands out the most is that the hotel staff are very friendly and helpful. One of the managers over there, by the name of Vincent Gunawan, is one worth mentioning. Having known that we are spending our 2nd year anniversary over here, he tried to make our stay more unforgettable by volunteering to give us priority to upgrade to a bigger Cabana room for the 2nd night. He went out-of-the-way to ensure that we are able to get the 1st Cabana room available. But we eventually rejected his offer as the Cabana available was a bit far away from the hotel lobby, cafe and swimming pool area. Regardless, I applaud his services.

Vincent Gunawan also came to talk to us a few times during our stay and asked whether our stay was ok so far. He also helped to recommend some of the nice dishes in the hotel cafe. As part of our anniversary gift, he even provided us with some hotel souvenirs. What a surprise!

My girlfriend and I enjoyed the satay sauce that the hotel cafe provided as part of the satay set that we ordered. Not only did it tasted very different from normal satay sauces that we had eaten, it was also spicier. Vincent then came along and during our short conversation, we mentioned that we liked the satay sauce very much. What he did later was really unexpected. He started telling us what the main ingredients of the sauce were, before he went into the kitchen and came back with the satay sauce in a butter-like form. He told us that we can have it. and also told us that we only need to take a small portion of it and mix it with hot water and the satay sauce will be formed. What else can I say? Great service!

My girlfriend and I are looking forward to going over again for a short trip whenever we can.

Stayed September 2008
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2008

THE H SPA EXPERIENCE

Harris Resort Batam is undergoing some revamps and the "H Spa" is the one of the recently completed projects.

Located at the roof top of the "Activity Building", it cuts itself away from the fuss and buzz created by family travellers (screaming children accompanied by equally anxious, screaming parents, etc).

However, do not be naive to think that noise can only come from fellow guests. As the building is located close to a fairly busy road, the tranquility creates an opportunity to heighten the sounds of engines/honks coming from motorcycles and other vehicles. So yes, the H Spa is well segregated from fellow resort guests, thus offering a tranquil environment for you to enjoy your treatments, the tranquility also becomes a perfect backdrop for passing by vehicles.

Here are the pros and cons of the H Spa.

PROS
--------
* Spanking new facilities
* Experienced masseurs
* Friendly staff
* Privacy
* Complimentary use of its Jacuzzi, shower and Sauna

CONS
---------

* Poorly Ventilated Spa Reception. A fan stands behind the spa reception counter, cooling the host/hostess. The rest of the reception area does not have any fan/air condition. After climbing 3 storeys to reach the spa reception, a little cool air to relax and calm you while you wait would be nice.

* Poor Layout for Massage Rooms. The Spa gave me an impression that they are trying to squeeze as many facilities/massage rooms as they can into a single roof top area. As a result, while each massage room is considered fairly big in size, I would actually consider it rather cramped and minimalistic, resulting in minor inconveniences for the guest.

Some massage cottages house a bathtub next to the massage table and only a mini cupboard is offered for guests to store their clothings and belongings.

Now, imaging removing your damp, sweaty clothes and storing them into a cupboard with no air circulation, only to take it out in its equally damp and soggy state a couple of hours after your relaxing massage to wear them again. How's that thought? Bet it's money well spent.

And no, the Spa does not believe in hooks. From the shower cubicles to the dressing area to the massage rooms, only 3 hooks could be found (They are mounted against the wall facing the shower cubicles). There is absolutely nowhere else for you to hang your clothes and to air them dry while you are enjoying the massage/facilities.

When you sign up for a higher end treatment package, they will offer you Ginger tea/Green tea at the end of the session. You have to stand and consume the drink because there is no chair for you to sit. Sure, one can sit on the massage table - if you want massage oil/bits of body scrubs on your shorts.

* Poor layout of Spa Facilities. With the renovation comes new facilities and they are free for guests to use. These facilities includes lockers, shower rooms, sauna and cold plunge jacuzzi. Next to the locker area is the dressing table. Two combs are offered for guests to use and they really look "used". It would be more presentable to offer a few more combs in wrapped plastic sheets so that guests will have choices, thus more tempted to use the combs.

There is also no bench in front of the lockers for guests to sit and pack their belongings. One has to stand and juggle to keep their belongings.

As mentioned previously, there are only 3 hooks in the entire H Spa and they are outside the 3 Shower Cubicles. Imagine this - After you have stepped into the cubicle and removed your clothes, you have to walk out in your birthday suit to hang your clothes which are OUTSIDE of your shower area. And once you're done washing up, you have to once again step out in your birthday suit to retrieve your clothings.

"Why not leave them inside the shower cubicles?" you ask? Would you like to have water splatter all over your dry clothes as you shower? Plus, there are no hooks inside the shower area to hang your clothes, remember?

The island's surrounded by water but the taps/sprinklers don't dispense them. Imagine my shock when I tried to turn on the shower tap to find no water coming out of the sprinkler. Luckily, I have not applied my shampoo/body soap. There is something wrong with the water system - the water pressure is weak when the taps are working. Throughout my 3 days' stay, most times the water in the H Spa's shower area don't work and when they do, the water pressure is usually weak.

If the prices were kept in its original range before renovation, I would expect less. However, since prices were revised and it's fairly close to what spa charges in Singapore, the H Spa will need to match up to expectations of that price bracket.

* Frequent Electricity Outage. I had 4 spa sessions planned out during my entire 3 days' stay. In the morning, electricity is not a problem. If your appointment is in the evening, then you will witness occasional power supply trips. On my first night of 2.5 hours treatment, it tripped once. On my second night of 3 hours treatment, it tripped 3 times and there I was lying alone in the massage, wrapped in body mask when the music, fan and lights went off. The staff knows what the problem is but there is little they can do. I don't blame them - they are not Engineers, afterall and they don't control the budget. So each time it trip, they can only turn the master switches back on again.

Side Note:
The hotel staff are, as reflected over and over again in other reviews, friendly and polite. Even the housekeeping staff display such friendly traits.

I am pleasantly surprised by the amount of work Housekeeping staff puts into tidying up a room. Eddy Sufriandi, one of the housekeeping staff who tidied my room not only mopped the floor, he vacuums it too! Right in front of my eyes. The hotel might be old but the management tries to make up for it through a proper housekeeping and maintenance:

While inside my room on the first night, the bathroom ceiling started dripping water. My intention was to close the bathroom door and let it drip till the end of my trip :P Eddy noticed the drip while performing housekeeping the next day and offered to ask his fellow Maintenance colleague to fix it. Within 15 mins, the Maintenance staff arrived with his tools and replaced the faulty heater with another working one. Nice.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — The value I receive taking into consideration the prices charged for facilities, food and spa treatment.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, October 4, 2008
Thank you so much for the constructive comments concerning our H Spa.
For your information the H Spa is being at its soft opening stage at the moment, with half of its facilities being completed. Our H Spa suites, meditation pavillion etc are under the final stage of completion. The Grand Opening is scheduled to be on December 2008. We acknowledge all the input and we are seriously taking it into consideration for improvement.
As far as the prices are concerned there are attractive promotions and deals where the guests could enjoy.
The noise of the road was an exception during the Hari Raya holidays as many local people were visiting the Waterfront city area and also the resort , which is not the case in normal weekends or weekdays as the Resort is located on a private real estate and majority of the rooms are facing the peaceful ocean or swimming pool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

I have just returned from Harris Batam. Stayed there for 2 nights with 4 of my friends, and the experience is wonderful. When we arrived at the Waterfront terminal, we were met by the friendly harris staffs. They took our passport and help us clear the immigration while we took the hotel transfer to harris resort which is less than 5 mins from terminal.

Upon arrival, we were met by almost all of the staffs. Some were dancing with the clown, Some were welcoming us into the lobby, some were serving us drinks and biscuits while the front office assistants were helping us check in. As we went during saturday, naturally there were a lot of people checking in. Me and my group were standing a little far back from the crowd thinking we'll check in after those crowds, however one of the front office assistants saw us and came out of the counter and helped us check in. She took the hotel voucher and checked in for us, while she took us to the cafe to rest while waiting for her. How very nice of her. :D

After checking in, we went to our respective rooms and to our surprise, the extra bed was already in the room waiting to be set up. Kudos to their efficiency. In the afternoon, we went to the cafe for our lunch. They have different sitting areas and we chose to sit indoor, which is more meant for night lounge. The sofas and armchairs were all so comfy. After taking our menu, we realised that the tables were too short for us to have our meals, thus we changed tables. We kept on changing tables until our drinks arrived, but the staffs were so friendly that they waited until we settled into the chairs before serving our drinks, not to mention we kept on changing positions, yet she can remember who ordered what. Kudos to her. The food were quite good, but the exception was my order. I ordered Chinese style beef steak sauce. When my food came, it smells great, the appearance was great, the sauce was great, everything was great, but when i took a bite, i thought i was eating rubber! The beef was too hard!! However, the sweet and sour fish that my friend ordered was very delicious. The fish was very tender, though the sauce was a little too sweet.

After lunch, we went to our spa appointment. The staff at the spa counter was very friendly and attended to us immediately. The spa was very, very good, the masseur was very efficient and professional. I fell asleep during the body scrub and massage.

At night before dinner, we went to the front office to make reservations for the shuttle to Nagoya. The staff, Cha Cha, was very friendly to us. We asked her a lot of questions and she listened and answered very patiently. Kudos to her!!

After that, we went to dinner at their poolside cafe. it was kampong night and we had an enjoyable night. As we have 5 people in our group, 3 of us went for our dinner first and we took a table for 3. When our 2 friends came looking for us, the table around us were either reserved or taken; but the staffs were very kind and they took away the reserve tag and joined that table with ours. During dinner, there's a lot of activites and a live band performing, thus making the dinner very lively.

The next day early in the morning, we had breakfast in the cafe and all the staffs were very friendly and asked how was our sleep.

During our check out on the 3rd day, the front office assistants were very helpful and efficient.

Overall, i'm very, very, very grateful to all Harris Resort staffs. I have a very unforgetful trip. Thank you so much Harris!! I look forward to going back again.

• Liked — Friendly Staffs, Spa
  • Disliked — NA
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

I've booked a 2D1N package with a travel agency to Harris Resort Batam to celebrate my fiance's birthday with another 2 frens. Before our trip, I've contacted with Harris Staff via email to make a reservation for a dinner set up and a surprise arrangement for my fiance.. I've also booked a birthday cake to go along with the celebration. The staff really go to the extra mile for the arrangement. She had a band to sing along when the cake was served. And the best thing is that, I dun have to pay for the reservation nor the set up/arangement,all I have to pay is for the birthday cake. Though the cake is a bit expensive for a 1kg,but i dun mind as long as everything goes on smoothly..

Upon arriving at the ferry terminal, there are Harris staffs to welcome us and bring us to the resort. As we arrived at the resort, we are given a warm welcome as well as a welcome drink n cold towel.. I must say that the staff are all very friendly and efficient. They really go all out to all our requests and that's what we did not expect.. We were then guided to our rooms and I was surprised that our rooms were upgraded to the Cabana rooms! AND!! I really love the room.. Really beautiful!! We were all like running and jumping around the room excitedly! The bed n pillows are very comfy... really love it! Everything looks in place n clean!

After that, we headed to the H spa where we really had a good n relaxing massage... the masseuse are all very friendly.. The thing that i like most is the dinner which i've mentioned, i had a reservation for the dinner table set up... not only my fiance was surprised with the set up, even me myself was surprised with the whole arrangement. The band sang beautifully, the arrangement is out of my expectations... Well done to Yenny!! ( the staff whom i've made reservation with)

Even the general manager, Mr Stylianos Koureas, is a friendly guy and he's even aware that it was my fiance's birthday and wished him personally the day after! To Mr Stylianos, THUMBS UP to all the management and staff of Harris Resort Batam.. Me,my fiance and my dear friends really had an enjoyable time there and it's really an unforgettable one!

I've no hesitations to choose Harris again for my future getaway trips n I make sure my next stay will be a longer one!!

• Liked — The rooms, service, food, the scenery!
  • Disliked — None!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront? Share your experiences!