Our 2 families of 4 adults and 4 children stayed at the Harris Waterfront Batam for 3D2N and had a utterly miserable time. We did not have high expectations, but the entire resort's lack of maintenance really sets new standards for level of dilapidation. Firstly, one of our rooms (Room 508) was clearly converted from the living room of a suite. Even that is so, why did the hotel not provide cupboard, in-room safe, or even hairdryer? We asked for a hairdryer but it took forever to arrive. When it did arrive, the technician took seemingly forever to install it. The sofa and other furnishings were haphazardly placed in order to accommodate two twin beds. The bedsheets were grey and dirty to the touch. The writing table is also pushed aside blocking the interconnecting door (which we do use). Funnily, the staff said that if we want to use that door, we can inform them and they will unlock it for us. But we discovered that the door could be open freely and it was not lock! If the next door guests are strangers, we would be able to go in and out of their room freely!
We requested for housekeeping as the floor was sandy and dusty when we checked-in. While casually mopping the floor with big Z strokes, the housekeeping staff was also walking around the room in their dirtied shoes. When I requested for slippers for everyone, they only provide ONE pair of worn and dirty HARRIS UNIQUE SLIPPERS!
The resort's location is also most inconvenient as it is far from Nagoya town. Therefore we thought we could simply bum at the resort and enjoy the water sports activities such as banana boat, jet-ski etc that are advertised on the hotel's website. To our major disappointment, there were NO beach activity at all! In fact the entire beach was covered with a huge piece of black torn fabric which seems to be used to soak up oil spillage? The supposed sea sport activities office was abandoned and piled with lots of dirty junk. By continuing to advertise sea activities on its website, the resort is definitely guilty of gross mis-selling.
In addition, the Dino club was in a sad state and the kids weren’t interested. The ATV was under maintenance (again not stated upfront), and the flying fox looked unsafe. We spotted nice new floats at the pool and were delighted. But our delight was short-lived as the floats cost SGD$5 for an hour's rental. There was a pool-bar but it was no longer in service. The bowling alley was also perpetually booked out by private and corporate event. Given the sorry state of the resort, it was no surprise that mosquitoes here were ferocious and defied any sort of insect repellents.
Since there was NOTHING to do at the resort. We decided to venture to the crowded mall which is about 30mins away. As if misleading guests to stay with them isn't enough, Harris charges an exorbitant rate to bring you to where you can perhaps do something. The staff said that shuttle bus rides cost $10 per adult, and kids below 10 years old ride free. The age limit here is lowered so you have to pay for almost everything. To make things worse, while we are paying for the tickets, the staffs sheepishly spoke to one another and then duly informed us that so long as we are taking up a seat on the bus, we have to pay even if the kids are below 10yo. That means we have to fork out SGD80 for a 30min ride? It is hard to fathom that in Batam it costs so much just for a 30min ride. It is certainly more expensive then taxi rides in Singapore or many SEA countries! At this point we began to feel that all foreigners are treated as milking machines. Btw, the buses reek of sweat stench.
Harris resort had one more nasty surprise in store for us. We decided to swim in the morning before checking out. While playing in the pool, one of our girls brushed her arm against the side of the pool wall and suffered a deep gash from something sharp inside the pool. Blood gushed profusely from her wound as it was a very deep cut. We frantically tried to stop the bleeding while trying to find help. However there was only one attendant by the pool, and his job is to give out towels. When we told him to inform his supervisor, his response was “I am new here, only one week. Many children play here and they are all ok. I will write a report, tell me where in the pool she got hurt.” His defensive response made our hearts sank. This incident alone convinced us that no one should ever choose this place.
When I surveyed the pool afterwards, I saw many construction workers working. One was even sawing wood at the centre platform and there were wheelbarrows everywhere. Around the entire circumference of the pool, there were also rusty nails jutting out from the floor every 15cm. It is irresponsible of Harris to allow construction work to go on while not ensuring that the guests safety are looked after.
It is one thing to build a hotel and another to be able to maintain it. For eg. Cameron Highlands Resort is a very old hotel but beautifully maintained. The management of Harris Resort Waterfront aka general manager, clearly does not know what it takes to run a hotel. There were a lot of staff at the hotel but they are largely not trained to do their job properly. Given the useless and token responses I have seen from him here in TripAdvisor, I would expect a similarly superficial, useless and defensive response from him, if he does response at all. Hence, my advice is: If you want a decent vacation, avoid Harris at all costs.
So, you are wondering where are the naked calendar girls in this post? There's none.. Exactly how I feel about being cheated to stay at Harris!
- Also Known As:
- Harris Resort Batam Waterfront Hotel
- Harris Resort Batam Waterfront Hotel Batam
- Batam Harris Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A friendly resort facing the strait of Singapore and the sea view with spacious accommodation and giant free form swimming pool. Strategic destination and a perfect vacation spot for couples, families or business purposes. With 315 rooms and suites including 20 cabanas, this hotel has the largest number of room provided in Funky and Trendy Wing.Harris Funky will cater the needs of your most discerning family member while easily keeping the whole group occupied and satisfied. Harris Trendy has the newest and trendiest all inclusive concepts, reserved exclusively for couples and singles over 18 years old of age. Asia’s one of its kind, an all inclusive concept welcomes couples and singles to experience carefree days and endless irresistible nights in Batam. The over 18, adults-only atmosphere allows event the most conventional of guest to throw caution-to-the-wind and experience life like never before. Located just 40 minutes away from Harbourfront Center Singapore, Harris Resort Batam try to persuade its guests to linger with a plethora of water sports & indoor entertainment in the form of a ten-lane bowling alley, Squash & billiards, Go kart, Flying Fox or sea sport activities. Soothe the muscles with one of our treatments at the spa, foot reflexology facilities or head to the giant free-form pool. The H-Spa an oasis of calm and serenity with breathtaking sea views and sunset in the afternoon, provide Harris Fans with a haven to luxuriate and pamper themselves with a selection of Body and Facial treatments masterfully executed by highly trained therapists. Five outlets to ease hunger pains are available by providing Indonesian, Asian and Western cuisines. Harris Cafe, which is located at 1st floor with opening hours from 06:00 am – 11:00 pm, serving Indonesian, Asian and Western food. Pronto Pizzeria, an al fresco pizzeria, presenting a wide variety of authentic freshly baked Italian wooden oven pizzas, open daily from 10:00 am – 11:00 pm. Harris Grill, located at the sea side serving European dishes, opens daily 07:00 – 11:00 p.m. D’Cafe, presenting a wide variety of Coffee, Frappe and Teas. Not only that, but you also can have your favorite healthy fresh fruit juice from our menu. Open daily from 11:00 am – 11:00 pm. D’Bar, a place where you can enjoy your drinks with live honey home entertainment. Variety of alcoholic beverages such as beers, wines, liquers are available for you. Opening hours from 06:00 pm – 01:00 amA range of meeting room size is ready to accommodate 20 – 400 persons with high technology facilities in both buildings.Whether you come for business or leisure, Harris Resort Batam is one choice that you will never regret to make. Come, enjoy and experience the friendliest hospitality in the island. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Priceline, Tingo and Otel so you can book your HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.