I always trust Trip Advisor reviews so I must have been really unlucky to experience the flip side of Harris. Nonetheless, I feel I should share this honest account.
Checked Harrris website for a specific date and rooms are available. Saw a Groupon deal applicable for this date, bought the Groupon deal,followed the instruction to book and got a reply that Harris is full! Went online to check again but there are still rooms available! Harris staff then told me the quota for Groupon is full?!?! A few correspondences later and still the same answer. I called Groupon to ask if this was a condition stipulated and they promised to get back in a day. Within a few hours after this call, Harris sent me an email to confirm my booking!?!?!
2. Slow check in
In between looking at the screen/system, this staff answered calls and queries and did other stuff! Eventually he told me there are no connecting rooms as I requested. I understand such request is based on availability and was ready to say 'ok, no problem' but before I can say that, he said 'but if you pay additional S$40, you can upgrade to the family rooms and there are connecting rooms available.' I accepted and again he took some time. Finally, he informed me I'll have to pay S$80 in total, then I understood it was S$40/night/family room upgrade. To which I said forget it, just give me whatever rooms originally allocated. Surprisely, he said maybe he was not clear earlier so it's alright, he'll charge S$40 in total. Honestly, I was taken aback at how he could make such decision to not charge in spilt second and I did wonder if I had to pay the extra in the first place.
3. Huge but very old family rooms with musky smell and all
The connecting door could not open because of the carpeting. The edges have frayed and was jamming the door up! One room is carpeted and the other is not! And the room with carpet had 2 large queen/king size beds and the other only had 1 - why the disparity? The maintenance team finally yanked the door open and we left it that way.
The children bunk beds in the room are in a very sad state. The bedsheet looks older then the ones I have at home.
One of the pillows smells of either puke or bad milk.
4. Return of guest property
My sister went for a massage at the Spa on site (3-5mins walk away) and left her watch in the Spa. She was the last guest so she quickly called the reception and informed them in case the Spa closes. After 20mins and no answer, we went to the reception to find out what was going on. The answer was 'no one pick up the phone at the Spa!!' The Spa is owned by Harris and is on site, surely someone could have walked over to pick up or look for the watch?? Unfortunately in the 20mins they tried calling, the staffs at the Spa have all gone home.
Eventually, someone came back to the Spa but the watch could not be found where my sister had left it. Then they tried calling the masseur for my sister and she said the watch is in her locker!! Shouldnt the masseur not inform the reception (to inform the guest) when she found the watch? Or bring the watch to the front desk for safe keeping instead of keeping in her personal locker?
5. Food at cafe - generally below average/not value for money except perhaps the pizza and pasta which were acceptable. The cafe is generally not clean. Have a look at the ceiling picture I attached. This is just one of the many areas.
6. Request for late check out
I was told that the following day the hotel is full and therefore no late check out allowed. Again, I know this is based on room availability and was ready to accept it but was told if you are willing to pay S$XX, you can check out at 3pm. What happened to full capacity?
7.Flooding at Harris
The next morning (3 Feb, Sun), there was a downpour which continued for hours. By around noon or so, the toilets (around the property; I do not know about the rooms as I had checked out by then) were flooded. To my horror, I later realised the whole area outside is flooded to about below knee height. The ponds and drains had overflowed and 'merged' with the swimming pool! Which means the dirty water from the pond and drains are flowing into the pool!
At this point, I was just really happy that I have checked out and am going home.
However, I would like to add that Zois, the General Manager of Harris, wrote an email to me upon knowing of my bad experience and was genuinely concerned. I hope that Zois can look in these areas and make some improvement to Harris.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A friendly resort facing the strait of Singapore and the sea view with spacious accommodation and giant free form swimming pool. Strategic destination and a perfect vacation spot for couples, families or business purposes. With 308 rooms and suites including 20 cabanas, this hotel has the largest number of room provided in Funky and Trendy Wing.Harris Funky will cater the needs of your most discerning family member while easily keeping the whole group occupied and satisfied. Harris Trendy has the newest and trendiest all inclusive concepts, reserved exclusively for couples and singles over 18 years old of age. Asia’s one of its kind, an all inclusive concept welcomes couples and singles to experience carefree days and endless irresistible nights in Batam. The over 18, adults-only atmosphere allows event the most conventional of guest to throw caution-to-the-wind and experience life like never before. Located just 40 minutes away from Harbourfront Center Singapore, Harris Resort Batam try to persuade its guests to linger with a plethora of water sports & indoor entertainment in the form of a ten-lane bowling alley, Squash & billiards, Go kart, Flying Fox or sea sport activities. Soothe the muscles with one of our treatments at the spa, foot reflexology facilities or head to the giant free-form pool. The H-Spa an oasis of calm and serenity with breathtaking sea views and sunset in the afternoon, provide Harris Fans with a haven to luxuriate and pamper themselves with a selection of Body and Facial treatments masterfully executed by highly trained therapists. Five outlets to ease hunger pains are available by providing Indonesian, Asian and Western cuisines. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, HostelWorld, Despegar.com, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Harris Resort Batam Waterfront Hotel Batam
- Batam Harris Hotel