“Experienced none of the good things described in other reviews” 1 of 5 stars
Review of HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront

Save Saved
You added HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront to your Saves list
HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   K.H. Ahmad Dahlan Street | Marina Waterfront City, Riau Islands Province 29422, Indonesia   |
Special Price
Special Offer
Ranked #6 of 66 hotels in Batam
Singapore
“Experienced none of the good things described in other reviews”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I always trust Trip Advisor reviews so I must have been really unlucky to experience the flip side of Harris. Nonetheless, I feel I should share this honest account.

1. Booking
Checked Harrris website for a specific date and rooms are available. Saw a Groupon deal applicable for this date, bought the Groupon deal,followed the instruction to book and got a reply that Harris is full! Went online to check again but there are still rooms available! Harris staff then told me the quota for Groupon is full?!?! A few correspondences later and still the same answer. I called Groupon to ask if this was a condition stipulated and they promised to get back in a day. Within a few hours after this call, Harris sent me an email to confirm my booking!?!?!

2. Slow check in
In between looking at the screen/system, this staff answered calls and queries and did other stuff! Eventually he told me there are no connecting rooms as I requested. I understand such request is based on availability and was ready to say 'ok, no problem' but before I can say that, he said 'but if you pay additional S$40, you can upgrade to the family rooms and there are connecting rooms available.' I accepted and again he took some time. Finally, he informed me I'll have to pay S$80 in total, then I understood it was S$40/night/family room upgrade. To which I said forget it, just give me whatever rooms originally allocated. Surprisely, he said maybe he was not clear earlier so it's alright, he'll charge S$40 in total. Honestly, I was taken aback at how he could make such decision to not charge in spilt second and I did wonder if I had to pay the extra in the first place.

3. Huge but very old family rooms with musky smell and all
The connecting door could not open because of the carpeting. The edges have frayed and was jamming the door up! One room is carpeted and the other is not! And the room with carpet had 2 large queen/king size beds and the other only had 1 - why the disparity? The maintenance team finally yanked the door open and we left it that way.

The children bunk beds in the room are in a very sad state. The bedsheet looks older then the ones I have at home.

One of the pillows smells of either puke or bad milk.

4. Return of guest property
My sister went for a massage at the Spa on site (3-5mins walk away) and left her watch in the Spa. She was the last guest so she quickly called the reception and informed them in case the Spa closes. After 20mins and no answer, we went to the reception to find out what was going on. The answer was 'no one pick up the phone at the Spa!!' The Spa is owned by Harris and is on site, surely someone could have walked over to pick up or look for the watch?? Unfortunately in the 20mins they tried calling, the staffs at the Spa have all gone home.
Eventually, someone came back to the Spa but the watch could not be found where my sister had left it. Then they tried calling the masseur for my sister and she said the watch is in her locker!! Shouldnt the masseur not inform the reception (to inform the guest) when she found the watch? Or bring the watch to the front desk for safe keeping instead of keeping in her personal locker?

5. Food at cafe - generally below average/not value for money except perhaps the pizza and pasta which were acceptable. The cafe is generally not clean. Have a look at the ceiling picture I attached. This is just one of the many areas.

6. Request for late check out
I was told that the following day the hotel is full and therefore no late check out allowed. Again, I know this is based on room availability and was ready to accept it but was told if you are willing to pay S$XX, you can check out at 3pm. What happened to full capacity?

7.Flooding at Harris
The next morning (3 Feb, Sun), there was a downpour which continued for hours. By around noon or so, the toilets (around the property; I do not know about the rooms as I had checked out by then) were flooded. To my horror, I later realised the whole area outside is flooded to about below knee height. The ponds and drains had overflowed and 'merged' with the swimming pool! Which means the dirty water from the pond and drains are flowing into the pool!

At this point, I was just really happy that I have checked out and am going home.

However, I would like to add that Zois, the General Manager of Harris, wrote an email to me upon knowing of my bad experience and was genuinely concerned. I hope that Zois can look in these areas and make some improvement to Harris.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear Harris Fun Strawbuz,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your personal opinion about our resort and your stay with us.
We are very surprised to receive such a negative feedback during a stay but as i have noticed
many variable aspects guide you to share this oppinion with others.
We are glad that many of the issues we can resolve and reinstate some procedures that were
not followed as per our policies.
Please allow me to comment on each of your paragraphs and hope to clarify all issues for future travellers as well that wish to visit us.
1. All our collaborators have specific number of rooms in order to be fair we distribute equally
most possible when the specific sold out the rooms asked for addtional to serve you and this was granted by our hotel.
2.During Check ins yes we tend to be a bit loud due to the Harris Move performence and this is what makes Harris unique in our apporach. We are sorry for the delay on the check in and the missunderstanding on pricing but as all companies we have newly hired staff undergoing their training and they are not in full capacity and speed but we need to be fair and give them the chance to learn to become better.
3.The issue of the rooms has been taken up by our housekeeping department and we are in action in replacing all items mentioned in the room.
4. What concerns the lost property since was delivered to you we are going to see the missing link and retrain the staff on how to follow the certain procedures.
5. We are in constant change of our menus and recipies and overlooking the general maintenance of the restaurant.
6.Your comment on the day of the flooding as you have witnessed the rain fall was more than expected, nevertheless in any case there is no connection between the flooding of the pool and what you have mentioned. we have taken notes for additional mesures though for evacuating water with extra drainage channels.Please bare in mind that we always maintain the Chlorine levels of our pools up to standard dosages.

We would like to thank you once again for your feedback and on behalf of all Harris Players

737 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
batam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

you will not find anywhere other than in this hotel for the first time where you feel comfortable removing your child out of sight.
Lovely hotel, staff were very helpful and friendly, where children play comfortable.
we were amazed with Mr.Zois & Mr Ramly so humble and friendly always greeting us,,,
special thanks to Ms.Uly to the beautiful rooms, ms.Linda room bookings practical, front office staff for the hospitality, f & b staff for the service,,,
you guys really treated us like family.
we will often come to your hotel.
we luv u,,,,

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Harris Fun Dheny D,

Sunny Greetings from the Resort of Smiles where all is Pleasure and Fun.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your so positive experience with many other
travellers during your holidays in our Resort.
We are so glad that you had such a great time and everyone encountered was helpful and
greeted you with courtesy and the genuine Harris Friendly Service.
As you have mentioned we are a family hotel and with us children and parents feel very comfortable when doing all activities and all fun games.

We would like to thank you once again for choosing our hotel for your holidays and we hope to
be able to have you with us once again,

On behalf of all the Harris Players

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Harris resort is really special because of its excellence service. The staff go extra mile to make their guests so special. When I stayed there, it was my hubby's birthday and I wanted to surprise him with a cake during dinner. I was expecting 3-5 staff bringing a cake to our table But, guess what? There were abt 20 of the staff singing a birthday song for him. It was a wonderful surprise for my hubby. My kids love Hariss too. Beside the swimming pool which was really huge, they love the kids club where the staff will entertain them with hand painting, teaching them new dance steps and even playing treasure hunt. The family room on the ground floor is huge and comfortable. Would recommend anyone who wants a short family getaway!

• Stayed March 2013
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Harris Fan Sgbabe,

Sunny Greetings from the Resort of Smiles where all is Pleasure and Fun.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your so positive experience of your stay
with us and let other travellers know about our Family Resort atmosphere that you and your
children enjoyed.

We would like to thank you also for all the mentions about our friendly staff as we our proud
of our Friendly Service offered to all our guests and not only the children but also the young at heart.

We would like to thank you for choosing our Resort and looking forward to having you with us for another Relaxing and Family Holiday with lots of Fun.

On Behalf of all the Harris Players,

Harrilsly yours,

Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night to "test" the hotel out (we are looking for short weekend getaway places near sg)
The location is near the ferry terminal and away from town, which we like.
We checked in with no issues and there was a welcome "song & dance" performance. Not sure if this is normal. It was kinda tacky, but the staff showed energetic enthusiasm! Hubby didn't find it funny though, because he couldn't communicate properly with reception (loud music).
We had a game of bowling and walked around the grounds. Didn't use other facilities. Disappointed with the beach... not quite as expected.
Food at the cafe was so-so and a bit pricey. Meals were not served hot... seemed like they been ready for a while before serving.
We had a room at the new wing facing the sea. Room was basic but ok. Beds comfortable. Would have slept well if not for loud music that was playing outside our room until the wee hours of the morning.
Overall, the service staff were friendly and gave a good vibe about the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Harris Fan RL-YL

Sunny Greetings from the Resort of Smiles where all is Pleasure and Fun,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your holiday experience with us and other
travellers and giving us your precious feedback about our services.
We are glad that overall your stay with us has been a relaxing and nice one and our staff
has given you the Harris Friendly service we our so proud of.

We have well noted all the points that you mention and this will be discussed upon for further
action to be taken.

We hope to be able to have you with us in the future for another stay abd untill then

On behalf of all the Harris players i would like to thank you for choosing our resort for your holidays

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

You will never run out of things to do while at Harris. Staff were very friendly. Nice and big pool. We got the package with massage and it was awesome. Also with bowling and there is a play area for the kids. we also had the free tour to the city. Though not much choices of the breakfast and food was a bit pricey. Rooms are small but clean. Second time we stayed in this hotel and would stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Harris Fun Momclover,

Sunny Greetings from the Resort of Smiles where all is Pleasure and Fun,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your so positive experience when on holiday
with us and we are glad to see that you so much enjoyed our resort facilities and services.

Indeed our resort is very well equipped for families vacations and with many activities to do around to keep all occupied. We have noted all of your comments to be discussed upon and
your constructive feedback is very important to us to be able to better serve our guests.

Once again thank you very much for choosing our HARRIS Resort and hope to be able to have
you with us once again.

On Behalf of all the Harris Players

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

the first time there for a short getaway with friends. Looked thru the net knowing that Harris has lots of activities. So we decided to just book for it. Upon reaching there, the greetings was great. Room was lovely (got the japanese room). But we were upset coz we went there for a purpose to ride the bike and atv. The place was quiet and no one was even at the seasports section. There wasn't anything much we can do and except for the indoor activities. We got so bored and swam the whole day. No doubt the food was lovely and the swimming pool was big and we even played water polo, suggested by one of the staffs. Having not much outdoor activity is already bad for us. what's worst is, we missed our 2.30pm ferry back home. We checked out at 2pm tho we still have time for the 2.30 ferry. We had to wait for another 3 hours for our ferry and we had nothing to do! but no one informed us even upon our arrival in the hotel. And i find out at the ferry terminal itself that the receptionist in harris was suppose to arrange everything for us and also the ferry coz we took package for this trip. She didn't even take the initiative to ask. I don't mind coming back unless, the outdoor activities starts to work again. But overall. Love the service. the food. The pool. And The room. Just need to improve more on the activities

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Harris Fan Zeelilac,

Sunny Greetings from the Resort of Smiles where all is Pleasure and Fun,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your personal opinion about your Holidays in our Resort with so many other members of the travel community.

We are glad that overall you enjoyed our hotel facilites and your stay and the reccomendations from friends are the best publicity when it comes to us.
We are sorry to hear that the activities were not up to standard and we already called all parties
concerned for sorting out all issues and we do thank you for your constructive comments.

Further to your comment concerning the ferry ticket reservations and confirmations we only assist
on this issue and we offer those services to our guests in order not to create long waiting lines
in the ferry terminal to get this done.
We are sorry if any inconvinience caused but as of our standard procedures we do inform all guests upon check in to procced to our guest relations desk to reconfirm and book the return ticket times and confirmation. We apologize if this was not properly introduced to you.

We would like to thank you once again for choosing our resort for your holidays,

Looking forward to having you with us once again on behalf of all the Harris Players

2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My Girlfriend and I booked a Junior Suite for the Honeymoon package. When you hear junior suite it should be one of the better rooms with better service but things wasn't what it is. We waited for 1hr 30mins for the room to be ready - We arrive at 12pm local time. The reception speak very bad English (I think he is a junior) and he has to get his colleagues to help out. I must say the Management tried very hard to think about ways to have a pleasent stay by providing cakes and fruits, decoration to the bed (I have a spend sometime removing the roses), putting roses in the bathtub. But they missed out on the simplest details that travellers were looking for, Cleanliness. The towel is filled with insects stuck on it, the bath tub have the very black mark.

Went for Spa in the afternoon, they ran out of herbal product for the bath, the massage was not at all up to standards - Massage the same spot for 10mins (guess there is ample time for a 1hr 30mins massage). They should have put the cushion on the cheek because the hole is extremely small for your head to put inside. To make matters worst, the towel that was at the bottom of the hole to allow the aromatherapy to flow up has not been cleaned for quite something. It smells like someone who puke. When we proceed to bath (by the way its strange that you go for a bath after your massage, you are not suppose to bathe and shower after massage), the water flows out and in the end there is no water inside the bathtub. Kinda wasted money on that. When we leave, they did not serve us drinks like other spa that we visited. I know their competitors in batam keep asking whether you want a refill.

I must say why there deserve a 2 star is because the candlelight dinner they provide for the honeymoon package is worth recommending. The taste of the food is quite nice and they present it in a very nice manner (They could have played more romantic music - its valentine day on the day rather than English pop songs). The white wine taste a bit werid though. I must say their coffee is one of the nicest that I have ever drank. Their breakfast have many rooms for improvement. Wasn't statisfying at all in terms of the spread and the taste - saggy hashbrown you know what I meant ?

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Harris Fan Analog88,

Sunny Greetings from the Resort of Smiles where all is Pleasure and Fun,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your personal opinion and review of your
holidays with us and share it with other members of the travel community.

We have taken note of the constructive criticism in order to improve our services to the guests and please allow me to share some feedback on our comments as you mention for the check in time is always after 14.00 pm all around the world.
What concerns the issue of cleanliness and towels we have taken note of that comment and we will look into our service linen provider to improve the quality and reinforce checks.
Also in all aspects of Spa Services that we offer as we have noted your comments on that area as well.
Thank you very much on your positive feedback of our food quality and restaurant special theme of Valentines Day.

We would like to thank you for choosing our resort and on Behalf of all Harris Players

Harris Resort Waterfront Batam

Been to HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront? Share your experiences!