“Disappointing and Unacceptable!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront

Save Saved
You added HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront to your Saves list
HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   K.H. Ahmad Dahlan Street | Marina Waterfront City, Riau Islands Province 29422, Indonesia   |
Offers & Announcements
Special Promo Rate
Ranked #8 of 64 hotels in Batam
“Disappointing and Unacceptable!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

I am very disappointed with the service that they have provided when my family checked in last nov. 7, 2012. First, it was an off peak season but the room they gave us is in the old bldg and it was not properly cleaned up, it has a very irritating musty smell and the beddings have stains, no toiletries provided as well and the wifi doesnt even work in that area.. so much for their free wifi. So we requested to be transfered to the new bldg, the room is ok, but still below standard. We went out to chill in the pool but they are working on scaffoldings so they keep on asking us to move to another recliner for several times.Then at night we chose to dine in the pool side restaurant, the waitress gave us ala carte menu w/o informing us that there is also buffet. When we turn around and saw the buffet inside after placing our orders, we immediately ask them to cancel the ala carte order and informed them that we want to take the buffet instead. The waitress said she will check and after 15 mins she get back and said its already cooked, she took 15 mins to check ofcourse its possible that the orders were already cooked. Just before she got back to us I asked another waitress to see if we can cancel, so after the first waitress informed us that we cannot cancel anymore the 2nd waitress we asked run towards me and said we can already have the buffet. So as confusing as it is, i decided to checked with the manager to confirm whether we can have the buffet or not, and to my surprise the asst manager approach me and told me that i cannot cancel because if i cancel then the waitress will bear the trouble for it. I believe it shouldn't be this way because it was not our fault that we were not informed by the waitress that there is a buffet, and second if she came to the kitchen immediately after we asked her to cancel then probably the cook wouldnt proceed with our orders. So why can't we have the food we wanted just because of the waitress fault? Some more the asst mngr tried to pacify us by bribing us with free dessert from the buffet which is so cheap! We didnt liked it, as we are not complaining bcoz we want something free but because of the lousy service. Anyway, we still tried to understand the situation though we're pissed. The following day we're checking out (nov 8) i tried to use my Visa debit card to pay but the front desk said in a loud voice "cannot mam it is declined!" i was shocked because i know i have money in that account so it couldn't be possible. I asked her again to try it, and she replied same thing in an annoying tone. We immediately checked my account online to confirm how much is my available balance and as we checked it is more than enough for what we have to pay. So i went back to the front desk and told her to try again because i already checked and confirm that there is money inside. Then she said "still cannot mam declined!" since its getting too much attention from other guest i felt embarrassed and started to get really annoyed so i decided to trouble my hubby to go to the ferry terminal (since there is no atm in the resort) to draw money so we can pay in cash instead. In short we settled tru cash. When we reached Singapore we received a text from hsbc that there was a transaction made on our visa card, confused, we immediately confirmed with the bank and alas the harris deduction did go tru, holding back our money from the debit card! Meaning we paid same amount in debit card and another in cash! They double charged us and until now we havent get back the money!!! We tried to email several times but haven't get any feedback from them! The spa also is very bad as the attendant were not properly trained. Most staff have difficulty in speaking english, so communication is a big problem. This is too much trouble brought to us by what i thought was a multi awarded resort in customer service and now im wondering are the reviews online for real?! The only thing that makes them different is that they have lots of activities instore for the whole family and that's it!

• Stayed November 2012
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Harris Fan Georgeouace,

Sunny Greetings from the Resort of Smiles where all Pleasure is Fun,

Thank you very much for your comments and constructive feedback during your stay with us at Harris Resort Waterfront Batam.

We are sorry to see that your holidays did not meet your expectations and please allow me to comment towards the events that took place during your stay and apologize for the whole inconvenience based also on the email we have received from you.
We are somehow surprised as we do not receive this kind of feedback from our guests and have investigated thoroughly on your comments to try and improve the services offered.
We have noted the comments about the condition of the room and your mentioning that the room is below standard please allow me to say that this is the simple unique and friendly room we offer as standard Harris Room.
The incident at the restaurant I have to say after investigation that the waiter in question reported back to you that the order was in process in less than 15 minutes and you could not have the buffet since the items started getting prepared.
Once addressed the same question to another waiter that was not aware of the situation of course he answered to you that the buffet is available and you can have it. I believe this is purely miscommunication but I am aware that at the end all enjoyed the food and you
were offered the desserts from our buffet.
Further to your second part of email concerning the payment by Debit Card please allow me to tell you that after investigation we also did not receive any amount from the Debit Card only the payment you have made cash at our Front Office.
As I am aware our Front office manager has replied to your email and asked you to sent us a copy of the Debit Card details number etc.
So we can verify one more time about this transaction and so far have not received anything.
In order to be able to proceed please sent us your details as soon as possible and if a mistake on our behalf has occurred we will definitely refund your money to your debit card account.
We have also contacted our Bank and we do wait by Monday their answer if the amount has gone through, if this is the case we will refund as soon as possible, if this has happened this must be computer error as the Front Office Cashier mentioned that was declined.
As we have procedures and controls this cannot be passed unnoticed so we will verify again and get back to you.

We are sorry for all the inconvenience caused and rest assured that if this error is on our site will be rectified. We apologize once again for not reaching your expectations on what concerns the holidays and we will try to improve our services offered based on your feedback.
We do hope that you will continue to visit Harris Hotels and Resorts in Indonesia for your future stays.

674 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I used to enjoy spending the weekend at Harris Waterfront for massage and R&R but this weekend's experience left me utterly disappointed, frustrated and changed my mind completely. The staff were not only unfriendly (not a smile on their faces...boy this was my first surprise cos they were always so friendly on my previous visit), 1 of their reception staff was downright rude and condescending when we enquired about our boarding passes. How would we know they have changed their practice that now guests have to collect our boarding passes from the ferry terminal? I don't mind doing that at all, just have to explain to me properly and politely. There was also a big function at the pool area as well as some bollywood "singing" at the Trendy Wing lobby. Both were noisy enough to spoil my rest and relax. I'm thankful though that they managed to change our room from right in front of the pool party to the back, otherwise I would not only not be able to rest but would probably end with a blooming headache. After this weekend's experience, I am striking Harris Waterfront out completely!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Harris Fan Bc01486,

Sunny Greetings from the Resort of Smiles were all is Pleasure and Fun,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments and share your holiday
experience to other travellers.
We were very surpised to see that the service encountered by our Harris Players was not
Friendly and this is very alarming to us as the main comments we always receive is for the quality
of the service and friendly apporach all our staff has.
We are sorry for the inconvinience caused during your stay with us due to the event taking place
around our swimming pool and for the inconvinience and disturbance has created during your stay with us.
We apologize for that and we are glad that our staff has managed to allocate you to another room so your stay was not as disturbed by the event.

We are sorry for not having enjoyed on the fullest your holiday and please drop me an email should you wish to return for another visit with us.
We do hope that this experience will not be an obstacle in visiting other Harris accross Indonesia.

On behalf of all Harris Players

Harris Resort Batam
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stayed one night for work and was allocated a little cabana/hut. Room was nice enough, nothing flash but fine for me. WIreless reception was marginal as the cabanas are a little out of the way.

Arrived back at the resort at 3am - exhausted after a very long and testing day - only to find bedbugs under the covers when I went to get into bed. Called reception and after an offer to simply change the sheets, I finally convinced them to move me. Moved to another cabana where the bed was OK. Fortunately I managed to get home without bringing any bedbugs with me.

The resort itself is very nice - slightly dated, but the pool area is great and there are a few different eating options. Looks like a nice spot for families.

Room Tip: Apparently the normal rooms are much nicer than the cabanas.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Harris Fan Joel B,

Sunny Greetings from the Resort of Smiles where all is Pleasure and Fun,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments concerning your stay in our hotel, I have noticed that your stay was with us in NOVEMBER 2011 so since then many changes
have taken place in our property.
We are glad that overall you enjoyed our facilities and also for the reccomendation for our
hotel as family destination. We have added also our new Sea Sports facilites in January 2012 and also have refurbished some rooms and areas of the hotel.
Further to your comment concerning the bed bugs even though this comes from long time ago
we would like to inform you that we do regular spraying and spring cleanings and have not any similar issues or comments.

Thank you also for your special mention and recommendation for our hotel as suitable for families and we do hope to maybe have you with us or maybe another Harris accross Indonesia.

singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Bought a deal voucher for ~S$97 including return ferry, buffet breakfast, 1hr massage and 1 free bowling game! It is quite a bargain.. Plus having to bond with my family is very sweet!! I have to say pool is really nice and closes at 9pm.. So u can swim all you want..but there's a catch, there is no life guards so swim at your own risk!
We had lunch at Harris cafe! Food's nice and serving portion is huge, it can actually shared by 2! Breakfast is so so.. Food there is all halal.. So you got less choices..
As for the massage at H spa..I did not like it at all.. Its a disaster!The massage therapist pressed too hard even if I told to press softer it's still too hard for me. And I did not even feel that I'm at the spa! The room is too bright! And the worse part is, some therapist obliged there client to give tips! I mean if I like the massage I would generously give a tip!

Anyway, Overall my stay in Harris waterfront batam is still quite OK esp there hotel staffs! they're very friendly people and service is superb. I would still go back but will not have my massage there!:))

PS. We did not try the water sports. Maybe next time..:)

• Stayed October 2012
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Dear Harris Fan Bfly_04,

Sunny Greetings from the Resort of Smiles where all is Pleasure and Fun,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share all your comments with the rest of the travel
community and we are glad that overall you had a good time and enjoyed your stay with us.
Most of all we are glad that you wish to return to the family of our return guests and definately
next time you must try our Sea Sports along with the other many activities we offer and the most
popular one being the ATV jungle trekking!
We are sorry if in some areas your expectations were not met but your valuable feedback has enabled us to take corrective actions and measures in order to ensure that the services provided
in the respective areas is of the standards and quality of our companies and guest expectations.

Thank you once again for having chosen our resort for your holidays and relaxation and on on
behalf of all the Harris Players we are looking forward to welcoming you again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Staff is very friendly, approachable and always with nice smile. Thanks for the surprise bday cake and song during the dinner time, it was great one!

Environment in the room my Japanese suite with surprise bday deco is super nice, love it very much! The outdoor hot spring facility in the room is nice too, my fren and I relaxed ourselves in the room as well ;)

Food is normal and can be improved.

The resort is with sea sport and some other activities for kids and adults, so can spend more time in the resort and relax.

Tried hot stone massage at the H Spa for the 1st time and it was very relaxing and unique. Book early if u can so that u can enjoy 35% off. The walk way to the spa is nicely deco with green plants.

Shuttle service to ferry terminal is so convenient and don’t have to wait, the staff drove us to the ferry terminal immediately when needed.

I enjoyed my stayed at Harris and will be there again next time ;)

I would like to say Thank You to the management and all staffs for making my bday so special for me, I love it, Thank you very much !

Room Tip: if you like to have hot spring in your room then you have to choose the Japanese suite. there is o...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Harris Fan Celine_sp0,

Sunny Greetings from the Resort of Smiles where all is Pleasure and Fun,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your so positive experience when holidaying with us and with so many other travellers.

We are so glad that you had a great time with us and that you enjoyed our facilities rooms Spa and the cheerful staff made your birthday a special one.
As you so well put it the many activities in our resort make you spend much time in the hotel
without needing to move out or get bored as well.

We would also like to tell you you are welcome in the answer to the thank you to the management and staff and to comment that you have been treated to the genuine Friendly Service of our Harris Players.

Looking forward to having you with us the soonest for another Happy and Joyefull Holiday outing.

spore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

For the price of the hotel, of course it must lift up to the standard. Rooms are really good and new, staffs are great..
Food is good and acceptable.. Prices are not cheap but at least it's nice.. D bar is Abit boring no stage for singers , suggest band should mOve outdoor at swimming pool cafe , more lively.

• Stayed October 2012
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Harris Fan Louiskk,

Sunny Greetings from the Resort of Smiles where all is Pleasure and Fun,

Thank you very much for all your nice comments concerning your stay with us and we are delighted that you had such a great time.
Most of all thank you for the special praize on our staff friendliness and the quality of Food and Beverages served.
We would like to thank you for choosing Harris Resort Waterfront Batam for your stay,

On behalf of all the Harris Players we are looking forward to having you with us in the near future
untill then,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Went to Batam for the first time and had stayed at the Harris resort after buying the coupon from deal.com.sg. I requested for the room at Harris Trendy after reading reviews and the room was reasonable and there were no major issues about it. There was free transportation from waterfront ferry terminal and the staff received us with a warm welcome upon arrival. Massage has been offered at the hotel and an hour long treatment was included in the coupon deal. We had expected a reasonable spa service offered by the hotel, especially when they are claimed to be award-winning, but the skills of the masseurs fell short of our expectations. Nevertheless, the stay was value for money and the friendly staff will make it even more worth it for a short getaway.

Room Tip: Request for a newer room. Avoid the cabanas.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Harris Fan Alerieee,

Sunny Greetings from the REsortof Smiles where all is Pleasure and Fun,

We would like to thank you very much for your time to share your holiday experience with many other travellers and we are glad that you had such a great time with us.
We are glad that you had such a good time and the staff has been extremely friendly with you which justifies our Harry Spirit. We have also noted some of your comments concerning our spa
and we are working in improving in that area as well.

Thank you once again for choosing our hotel for your stay and on behalf of all our Harris Players

Harrisly yours,

Harris Resort Waterfront Batam

Been to HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront? Share your experiences!