“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront

Save Saved
You added HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront to your Saves list
HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   K.H. Ahmad Dahlan Street | Marina Waterfront City, Riau Islands Province 29422, Indonesia   |
Special Price
Special Offer
Ranked #8 of 72 Hotels in Batam
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011 via mobile

Went there on 3 to 4 april stay in the cabana room n was quite disappointed cause the reason is simple the room is old compare to thier trendy room the aircon n fan is so weak cant feel anything from them, the bath tub suck also cause the water is never warm at all.

The entertainment is boring also with nothing much to do bowling center is super old with no hygiene practice at all i mean how can they allow ppl not to wear sock when using thier shoe that is so unhygienic, airgun is boring n ktv got 3 room only.

The good part r thier pizza, massage, spa n nagoya shopping mall so if u r looking for nice pizza, shopping, massage n spa harris is a gd choice but not for their cabana room

• Stayed April 2011
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, April 9, 2011
Sunny Greetings from the Harris Resort Batam
Thank you so much for your constructive comments.
We have well noted the situation of your cabana and we are so sorry to hear your comments.
For your information we have started to renovate the cabanas by changing the wooden floors and re decorating the bathroom.
As far as the bowling situation is concerned has been rectified accordingly and we are now having the rules of the game being featured at the Alley.
Your c omments concerning the spa and the pizza are well appreciated.
Looking forward to having you back in the near future in order to enjoy the real harris hospitality.
gm@harris-batam.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Harris Batam in April 2-3, yes, only 2 days have passed as I write this review. :) I thought I should make one earlier as the experience and details of the short stint are still fresh. I got the package from one of those popular deals provider in SG for an overnight stay in a Harris room (which I think is the cheapest or standard room the hotel offers). We arrived at the hotel via their free shuttle service, which was waiting at the ferry to pick up customers. Upon our arrival, we were greeted by the staff who were serving cookies, welcome drinks, hot towels and dances (yes they were dancing). It was nice to know that even their GM is one with the staff in welcoming their guests. (I know that he is the GM because he has a picture at the lobby when he was awarded as 2010's best General Manager). Upon check-in, I was informed that the room is not yet ready, it might take an hour before I could get the room. So we decided to patiently wait and get the inclusive free lunch first at the Harris cafe. It was a set lunch but we've decided to top-up $5.00 for the buffet. The food is quite ok, what I liked was the garlic chicken, veggies and the Soto Ayam. Other than that, the food is nothing to brag about. After having our lunch, I went back to check on the room and suprisingly, I was told that we are upgraded to Harris Cabana for FREE. Isn't it one good way to compliment for the customer's waiting time? So we went to our room which was apparently at the very end of the hotel vicinity (Cabana 22). Nevertheless, it was ok for us since it's upgrade anyway. The room is tidy enough. The cabana was located facing the sea, I think that area is still under development because the "sea shore" is not clean and woods were scattered. Not so much of a view. However, we notice few mosquitos inside the room which I think the Harris already knows because they have a Baygon spray in the room haha. My husband woke up with few mosquito bites (I think that would be the worst part of the stay). Nevertheless, we spent the entire day swimming (I could say they have well maintained pools and beautiful ones to say), spa (the masseus are awesome!, who really knows what they're doing) we got the balinese room, non-AC ones, we initially wanted the AC room but was disappointed to see it, the beds are not tidy, the walls have broken paints, but the balinese room was awesome!, we also did bowling. I could say in terms of amenities and facilities, Harris has so many to offer. As for the staff, which I would rate as the best part of the stay, all of them seems well trained in dealing with customers. Everyone would greet you when they see you along the way, would ask if you need anything. One best thing I must say is that they would give customers what they really want: serving pizzas and drinks by the pool or at the room itself, getting your feedback, asking what you actually wanted. The lady at the ferry schedule asked how was our stay and as we mentioned we have problem with the bath tub sink, (was clogged), she told us that if we want, they could transfer us to another room (haha) but we refused since we thought it's already too much. (too nice of them for suggesting that). The breakfast buffet is also one thing I did not like, the pasta was too dry, the beef rendang is not what I expected, I think the breads they toasted earlier which got dried and hardened up. Like what I said with the lunch, it was nothing to brag about. However, they have this pizza cafe and I must say it's good! I also got that pasta with shrimp sauce and I really loved it (forgot the name though). Overall, Harris Batam is worth coming back again. :)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
Sunny Greetings from Harris Resort Batam
Thank you so much for your very constructive feedback and we are so glad that you had an enjoyable stay at our Resort.
We have well noted the breakfast issue and we will work immediately on this point in order to improve our variety and quality of food.
Once again thank you so much for staying with us and looking forward having You back at the Resort very soon.
Stylianos Koureas-General Manager
Harris Resort Batam
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

Stay at Harris Batam from 1st of April till 3rd of April. These are my experiences.

Customer Experiences - From the moment we arrived, we were pickup promptly at Waterfront City ferry terminal. The transfer took only 5mins and at Harris Batam we were greated promptly with cold towels and a refreshing cold drink. Nice start to a very warm day ! The staff are warm and friendly in all aspects of their services which makes us feel welcomed.

Room and surroundings - We stayed in the Japanese suite room, which we absolutely loved it. It is a very cozy and large room that comes with an outdoor japanese bath. We hardly used the bath as it was slightly dirty perhaps due to the dust. Perhaps, a scrubbed down twice yearly is recommended. Harris Batam new wing looks very impressive and inviting, however the surroundings of Harris needs some sprucing up and perhaps some repainting.

Food and Pricing: We had a interesting experience. We had lunch and the BBQ buffet dinner on Friday itself. The ala-carte menu at Harris Cafe is rather extensive and the food taste good as well. However, the pricing borders on moderately priced to expensive. This is one area, perhaps that could be re-evaluated. As for dinner, BBQ buffet, for the price, the quality and choices(6) of the BBQ food could be better. For large parts(we were there at 7pm exactly), the BBQ food were cold and rather tasteless. The salad bar, steamboat and desserts were okay.

Amenities and Activities: Harris Batam is well-equipped with it's amenities they have a gym, giant swimming pools and plenty of other activities eg: (Airsoft Gun, Paintball, Go-Kart and many others) available at a reasonable price. One comment, some of the activities could be extended to slightly later into the night, as there is practically nothing to do after 10pm.

H-SPA: Very nice SPA that they have, my partner and I had a "couple-in-love" package which lasted 3 hours. It was a very enjoyable and relaxing massage. I strongly recommend it. It is reasonably priced as well.

Overall experience: For us, Harris Batam did a very good job in keeping it's customers delighted and I had the opportunity to speak to the GM who is a nice chap. I will definitely be back to Harris and I hope that my recommendations and suggestions could be considered to take Harris up another level.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Sunny Greetings from the Harris Resort Batam
Thank you so much for your valuable comments.
We have well noted the following points:
Japanese bathtub to be scrubed and cleaned thoroughly. This will be done immediately.
The BBQ dinner will be enriched with more variety of food.
Our opening time of our faciilites will be extended until 11pm.
Glad to hear that you had enjoyed the Spa treatment and your stay at our Resort.
Once again thank you so much for your very constructive comments that give us the opportunity to improve.
Loooking forward welcoming You back to Harris Resort Batam soon.
Fondest Regards
Stylainos Koureas-General Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

Spent 3 days at Harris Resorts Batam from 23 to 25 March. Were greeted on arrival with towels, welcome drinks and cookies that give a good start for a holiday. There were some hiccups during the check in when they didn't realised I had booked two rooms for my party of 4 adults and 2 kids and gave me just a family room. The staff were warm and friendly, obviously very well-trained. Had a real good birthday dinner celebration for my daughter at the H-Grill with the resort providing a complementary cake as well. The only setbacks were that there was no housekeeping services for the second day, mosquitoes in the room and at the spa. I had a 1.5 hrs massage for myself and was thoroughly satisfied but the 1 hr massage and 1 hr Tuilp facial treatment for my wife was a real dissapointment. The masseur was slipshod in the massage and left the room very quickly after applying the mask on my wife's face. Heard her chatting with friends outside and then she disappeared altogether till I finished my massage and asked my masseur to go look for her friend. Then,when my wife's masseur came back, all she did was removed the mask. When my wife asked to use the bathing facilities in the room, the masseur rejected the request and remained in the room while my wife was dressing up. It was a rotten experience for my wife who is a frequent visitors to spas in Singapore and China.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, April 2, 2011
Sunny Greetings from Harris Resort Batam
Thank you so much for writing your experience during your recent stay at our Resort.
We are very glad that you had a good stay and enjoy the facilities of the Resort.
We have well noted your wife's unpleasant experience at the H Spa and we really apologise, as it is really does not reflect the harris standards. We will follow up immediately and take the necessary corrective action.
As far as the Housekeeping service, we have found out that the room attendant has asked your family at 3.pm for cleaning the room but they have refused.
Mosquitoes are an eternal problem when is the rainy season, and we have asked our pest control company to increase the fumigation session from 3 times a week to daily.
Once again thank you so much for staying with us and looking forward welcoming You back soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

Visited Harris Resort Batam on the 19-20 March 2011. We got the spacious executive suites, and the room was well equipped with 2 separate toilets, a dining table, a sofa set together with the television. There was also a mini kitchen with stoves, pots/pans and utensils for our usage. The additional platter of tropical fruits, cookies and flowers was also a nice touch to the entire feel of the room.

Harris Resort Batam is probably where'd you want to be whenever you're in Batam. The hotel arranges for transport to the nearby town area, which is a great convenience for people looking to do some shopping in the area. If not, Harris Resort Batam is like a little city itself and there are more than enough activities and facilities around to last you throughout your trip. The resort hotel has a bowling alley, pool & snooker facilities, paintball facilities, airgun target shooting, their in-house spa & restaurants, which includes a korean/japanese restaurant with karaoke, and lastly, a great outdoor swimming pool which is just about enough for you to do some swimming or simply to laze around the deck and catch up on your tan. Moreover, go-karting, banana boating, cable-skiing facilities and the nearest ferry terminal can be found just within 5 minutes around the resort, and whatever activities can be arranged by their staff. During the school holiday period, the hotel even arranged for activities such as movie screenings & pizza making for the kids so as to allow the parents to go on a well-deserved break at the H Spa, or at the sauna and jacuzzi.

Food was also definitely a plus at the Harris Resort Batam. Their Saturday dinner menu included a buffet spread at the poolside, with plenty of mouth-watering dishes including their grilled meat and seafood. Besides, the ala-carte menu includes amazing varieties of both Asian and Western cuisine. Our party of 9 had the pork chop, lamb chop, grilled tiger prawns, their in-house steak and also a chilli crab to share amongst ourselves. Presentation of all menu items was perfectly done. One thing to note was that the texture of the crab was a little soft, different to what we get over in Singapore, and probably will not come to the liking of many Singaporeans. For lunch the next day, we had pizza! The traditionally wood-fired pizza was simply to die for. A superbly thin layer of crust with generous amounts of toppings, the 9 of us again finished 4 pizzas, 2 pastas, 1 bruschetta and 2 other main courses. Yes we ate more than we ought to for lunch. :/

Lastly, even WITHOUT all those plus points, Harris Resort Batam is worth visiting just for their hospitality alone. Even though it was the peak period and a weekend, all staff were cheerful and more than willing to help you with any request. You can literally feel the positive energy from the staff themselves. In addition, the GM of Harris Batam is also one of the most warmest GM i have ever encountered. He makes it a point to get to know as many of his guests individually, and extends his services and hospitality to each and every guest willingly as far as he can.

Will definitely like to be back again, probably with friends this time.

Well done Mr Koureas, you have most certainly lead your team well! :D

Jerome

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, April 1, 2011
Dear Jerome,
Sunny Greetings from the Harris Resort Batam
Gratitude and respect for your excellent comments.
The whole team of the Harris Players striving for excellence to our Respected Clients continuously.
We are so glad that you had enjoyed your stay with your whole family and hoping to have You back very soon.
Harrilsy Yours
Stylianos Koureas-General manager
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

I had stayed in the Trendy room between 20th-22th March.The pool in the hotel is great.Big and inviting.This hotel had quite a fair bit of activites for kids and family outing.Good if you have kids and want to stay in the resort during your stay.
However this is not a posh or luxuery hotel enviromemt especially for couples.Although i had stay in the trendy room (new room) I find the room plain looking.Maintainer of the hotel is also poor such as paint fadding off the wall at cafe ect and toilet paper handle is rusty in room.I find this very commmon in Batam.Bintan hotel seem to provide better hotel room at same rate.
I had dinner at H Gril, the food is good with good live band.Very nice and cozy having dinner facing the ocean at night.The band went from table to table to sing and play music to your request.Good touch.
The staffs are very friendly however they need to be flexible.My hubby and I are given transportation to the Water park which I found out there is only 2 of us therefore I asked the driver if he can pick us up 1 hour earlier at 2.30pm instead of 3.30pm.He made a call to his manager/senior and informed us we will need to arrange for our own transport if we want to it to be 1hr earlier despirt the fact there is only my hubby and I for this event.Lastly, I was having breakfast on the last day and decided to get the trainee cook behind the egg station to re-cook the egg as it was not done the way I wanted. After 1 bite,I took the egg back and show him.He re-do the egg for me and to my amaze he passed the egg that i had eaten to the next guest. I inform the guest about it.I think staff should be taught to throw away any food that had been placed at the guest table before like fast food.
Overall, this is a no frills hotel which have activites for kids.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Sunny Greetings from the Harris Resort Batam
Thank you so much for your very constructive comments.
Indeed we are a Simple- Unique and friendly resort which is suitable for families, couples and Singles. Our Funky wing is catered for families with children, our trendy wing for singles and couples and our beach cabanas for honeymooners.
We have noted the status of our Harris Cafe which actually is on major renovation at this moment.
Thank you for mentioning the staff friendliness, but you have mentioned that we have to work on their flexibility which we will do so.
Unfortunately the driver that you have asked to pick you up an hour earlier from the Water Park had an enagagement to pick up also our long stay guests, that is the reason that he could not change the timing. Hoping you can fully understand this valid reason.
As far as the eggs in the restaurant we have briefed our staff and the incident will never occur again.
We have well noted your compliments on the H Grill and also the swimming Pool.
Looking forward welcoming You back once again to experience the real Harris Hospitality.
Please contact me anytime for any further assistance.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

It's Chinese New Year again and I went to Harris Batam for my second year in a row "escapade". However, this time, I went solo. Having "learnt" the "dos" and "don'ts" from the previous year, I was more "streetwise" this round, I hope. I'd booked yet another 4 day 3 nights stay at Harris Trendy and was well satisfied, though I would prefer the air-con to be cooler... (it's ok but not cold cold, if you get what I mean...)
Once I reached the resort, I made full payment in SGD$ so that I wouldn't make the same mistake as last year. Upon reaching my room, I quickly requested for a DVD player which is provided FOC throughout my stay. (I went well prepared with all my DVDs, which I have not had the time to watch in SG. -_-) Service was prompt but the service guy had a problem as there was not enough power sockets to go around (NB: I've brought my laptop too!). Humongous extension plugs provided by the service guy don't fit as the main sockets on the wall are built a tad too close to the table. Luckily, I was smart enough to bring my own adaptor and managed to utilise all available sockets for my TV, DVD player and laptop!
The free wi-fi was great but the speed lagged dramatically on the second and third days of my stay (it was the first and second days of Chinese New Year). I guess there were way too many guests and far too many Internet access in the hotel. -_- Luckily I had my DVDs! :)
One great place at Harris to recommend was the Korean/Japanese restaurant! Despite its simple signage and decor, I was well pleased with the food provided.(NB: Ahem, please note charging at typical SG price of ~$10-$20!) On the first night (Chinese New Year Eve), I had dinner at the Korean/Japanese restaurant and was served a overwhelming range of Korean starters despite ordering a Japanese bento set. The food was probably tweaked to Singaporean taste (or at least mine!) for I finished 5 out of the 6 small dishes of starters! I didn't finish the 6th simply because that dish was a wee bit too spicy for me. I was however disappointed that when I returned on the third night, no starters were served. I could only assume that the serving staff made a mistake on the first night. -_- Still, no major complaints!
The Chinese New Year dinner was of a much smaller scale than last year (I think) but the standard of the food had improved somewhat. Perhaps because less staff was required to prepare less food and thus able to maintain certain standard. The dinner didn't drag on like last year and you can feel the warmth of Harris staff as they sing the birthday songs to the birthday folks and danced around.
Spa was great, similar to the first year but the masseur didn't realise that the tap in the spa hut/room was not working. In the end, I had to be wrapped in sarong and towel and walked to the other end of the spa place for my milk bath. I wouldn't have minded the walk so much if not for the numerous male staff hanging along the spa walkway, which caused me to feel a lack of privacy...
I tried the margarita again but Harris ran out of mango margaritas and I'd no choice but to try the banana maragarita. I'd never tried banana flavour before and could not really comment about it. Still, I've decided to stick to the frozen margaritas at Ritz Carlton, SG, which is more to my liking.
Last, there was a lot of confusion with regard to the booking of the ferry by Harris. Despite submitting my booking request upon arrival, I was informed on the second night that the ferry was fully booked. I was then given a choice of taking the ferry at the later timing or being transported FOC to Sekupang Ferry Terminal. I chose the latter and was pleasantly surprised by the new Sekupang Ferry Terminal and its facilities. However, while waiting at the main lobby of Harris, there was a lot of commotion and upset guests as they were not informed of the lack of ferry transport. A number of guests had checked out already and this meant that they had to wait in the stuffy lobby for hours before going to the Waterfront Ferry Terminal. In this aspect, I guess Harris could have tried to do better and felt that I was one of the few lucky ones to be informed of the ferry booking issue.
All in all, it was a good trip and I enjoyed it. The second trip generally met my expectations and I enjoyed my quiet stay. If I should return to Harris Batam, I guess I'll probably won't be going again during Chinese New Year but just a typical weekend escapade.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Sunny Greetings from the Harris Resort Batam
Thank you for coming back to the Resort for the second time and we are very glad that you had enjoyed your stay equally as the first time.
We have well noted following points:
The quantity of sockets at the Trendy wing and also the adaptor challenge.
The spa bathtub malfunction has been well noted and we sincerely apologise that you had to change to another rrom in order to get your milk bath. I had personanally submitted your commnets to our spa manager in order to fix the problem immediately.
The Korean restaurant even is managed by a third party is part of the whole harrris experience.
I have spoken to the Owner of the establishment about the inconsistency of service during your second night visit.
As far as the ferry is concerned, harris resort batam is trying to help the guests for all the ferry arrangements. The ferry is operated by a third party and the hotel cannot guarantee that all the guest will get the desired timing especially during Peak season like the chinese New Year period. We had tried our best to accommodate all our guests requests but unfortunately the ferry operator was unable to confirm all of them. The hotel send a letter to all of the guests that there was a change of schedule the night before providing them alternative options, either a free transfer to Sekupang ferry terminal or other timing from Water front city.
So sorry that you had departed from Sekupang despite the very good facilities provided at the new ferry terminal.
Once again thank you so much for staying with us for the second time and looking forward welcoming You back soon.
General Manager-Harris Resort Batam
gm@harris-batam.com

Been to HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront? Share your experiences!