“Simple Room with good activies for kids” 3 of 5 stars
Review of HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront

Save Saved
You added HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront to your Saves list
HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   K.H. Ahmad Dahlan Street | Marina Waterfront City, Riau Islands Province 29422, Indonesia   |
Special Price
Special Offer
Ranked #8 of 67 hotels in Batam
Singapore
“Simple Room with good activies for kids”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

I had stayed in the Trendy room between 20th-22th March.The pool in the hotel is great.Big and inviting.This hotel had quite a fair bit of activites for kids and family outing.Good if you have kids and want to stay in the resort during your stay.
However this is not a posh or luxuery hotel enviromemt especially for couples.Although i had stay in the trendy room (new room) I find the room plain looking.Maintainer of the hotel is also poor such as paint fadding off the wall at cafe ect and toilet paper handle is rusty in room.I find this very commmon in Batam.Bintan hotel seem to provide better hotel room at same rate.
I had dinner at H Gril, the food is good with good live band.Very nice and cozy having dinner facing the ocean at night.The band went from table to table to sing and play music to your request.Good touch.
The staffs are very friendly however they need to be flexible.My hubby and I are given transportation to the Water park which I found out there is only 2 of us therefore I asked the driver if he can pick us up 1 hour earlier at 2.30pm instead of 3.30pm.He made a call to his manager/senior and informed us we will need to arrange for our own transport if we want to it to be 1hr earlier despirt the fact there is only my hubby and I for this event.Lastly, I was having breakfast on the last day and decided to get the trainee cook behind the egg station to re-cook the egg as it was not done the way I wanted. After 1 bite,I took the egg back and show him.He re-do the egg for me and to my amaze he passed the egg that i had eaten to the next guest. I inform the guest about it.I think staff should be taught to throw away any food that had been placed at the guest table before like fast food.
Overall, this is a no frills hotel which have activites for kids.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, April 1, 2011
Sunny Greetings from the Harris Resort Batam
Thank you so much for your very constructive comments.
Indeed we are a Simple- Unique and friendly resort which is suitable for families, couples and Singles. Our Funky wing is catered for families with children, our trendy wing for singles and couples and our beach cabanas for honeymooners.
We have noted the status of our Harris Cafe which actually is on major renovation at this moment.
Thank you for mentioning the staff friendliness, but you have mentioned that we have to work on their flexibility which we will do so.
Unfortunately the driver that you have asked to pick you up an hour earlier from the Water Park had an enagagement to pick up also our long stay guests, that is the reason that he could not change the timing. Hoping you can fully understand this valid reason.
As far as the eggs in the restaurant we have briefed our staff and the incident will never occur again.
We have well noted your compliments on the H Grill and also the swimming Pool.
Looking forward welcoming You back once again to experience the real Harris Hospitality.
Please contact me anytime for any further assistance.
General manager-Harris Resort Batam

740 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

It's Chinese New Year again and I went to Harris Batam for my second year in a row "escapade". However, this time, I went solo. Having "learnt" the "dos" and "don'ts" from the previous year, I was more "streetwise" this round, I hope. I'd booked yet another 4 day 3 nights stay at Harris Trendy and was well satisfied, though I would prefer the air-con to be cooler... (it's ok but not cold cold, if you get what I mean...)
Once I reached the resort, I made full payment in SGD$ so that I wouldn't make the same mistake as last year. Upon reaching my room, I quickly requested for a DVD player which is provided FOC throughout my stay. (I went well prepared with all my DVDs, which I have not had the time to watch in SG. -_-) Service was prompt but the service guy had a problem as there was not enough power sockets to go around (NB: I've brought my laptop too!). Humongous extension plugs provided by the service guy don't fit as the main sockets on the wall are built a tad too close to the table. Luckily, I was smart enough to bring my own adaptor and managed to utilise all available sockets for my TV, DVD player and laptop!
The free wi-fi was great but the speed lagged dramatically on the second and third days of my stay (it was the first and second days of Chinese New Year). I guess there were way too many guests and far too many Internet access in the hotel. -_- Luckily I had my DVDs! :)
One great place at Harris to recommend was the Korean/Japanese restaurant! Despite its simple signage and decor, I was well pleased with the food provided.(NB: Ahem, please note charging at typical SG price of ~$10-$20!) On the first night (Chinese New Year Eve), I had dinner at the Korean/Japanese restaurant and was served a overwhelming range of Korean starters despite ordering a Japanese bento set. The food was probably tweaked to Singaporean taste (or at least mine!) for I finished 5 out of the 6 small dishes of starters! I didn't finish the 6th simply because that dish was a wee bit too spicy for me. I was however disappointed that when I returned on the third night, no starters were served. I could only assume that the serving staff made a mistake on the first night. -_- Still, no major complaints!
The Chinese New Year dinner was of a much smaller scale than last year (I think) but the standard of the food had improved somewhat. Perhaps because less staff was required to prepare less food and thus able to maintain certain standard. The dinner didn't drag on like last year and you can feel the warmth of Harris staff as they sing the birthday songs to the birthday folks and danced around.
Spa was great, similar to the first year but the masseur didn't realise that the tap in the spa hut/room was not working. In the end, I had to be wrapped in sarong and towel and walked to the other end of the spa place for my milk bath. I wouldn't have minded the walk so much if not for the numerous male staff hanging along the spa walkway, which caused me to feel a lack of privacy...
I tried the margarita again but Harris ran out of mango margaritas and I'd no choice but to try the banana maragarita. I'd never tried banana flavour before and could not really comment about it. Still, I've decided to stick to the frozen margaritas at Ritz Carlton, SG, which is more to my liking.
Last, there was a lot of confusion with regard to the booking of the ferry by Harris. Despite submitting my booking request upon arrival, I was informed on the second night that the ferry was fully booked. I was then given a choice of taking the ferry at the later timing or being transported FOC to Sekupang Ferry Terminal. I chose the latter and was pleasantly surprised by the new Sekupang Ferry Terminal and its facilities. However, while waiting at the main lobby of Harris, there was a lot of commotion and upset guests as they were not informed of the lack of ferry transport. A number of guests had checked out already and this meant that they had to wait in the stuffy lobby for hours before going to the Waterfront Ferry Terminal. In this aspect, I guess Harris could have tried to do better and felt that I was one of the few lucky ones to be informed of the ferry booking issue.
All in all, it was a good trip and I enjoyed it. The second trip generally met my expectations and I enjoyed my quiet stay. If I should return to Harris Batam, I guess I'll probably won't be going again during Chinese New Year but just a typical weekend escapade.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Sunny Greetings from the Harris Resort Batam
Thank you for coming back to the Resort for the second time and we are very glad that you had enjoyed your stay equally as the first time.
We have well noted following points:
The quantity of sockets at the Trendy wing and also the adaptor challenge.
The spa bathtub malfunction has been well noted and we sincerely apologise that you had to change to another rrom in order to get your milk bath. I had personanally submitted your commnets to our spa manager in order to fix the problem immediately.
The Korean restaurant even is managed by a third party is part of the whole harrris experience.
I have spoken to the Owner of the establishment about the inconsistency of service during your second night visit.
As far as the ferry is concerned, harris resort batam is trying to help the guests for all the ferry arrangements. The ferry is operated by a third party and the hotel cannot guarantee that all the guest will get the desired timing especially during Peak season like the chinese New Year period. We had tried our best to accommodate all our guests requests but unfortunately the ferry operator was unable to confirm all of them. The hotel send a letter to all of the guests that there was a change of schedule the night before providing them alternative options, either a free transfer to Sekupang ferry terminal or other timing from Water front city.
So sorry that you had departed from Sekupang despite the very good facilities provided at the new ferry terminal.
Once again thank you so much for staying with us for the second time and looking forward welcoming You back soon.
General Manager-Harris Resort Batam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

We stayed in the cabana room facing the sands area. The staff (Bona) warned us of mosquito upon seeing my 2 kids, but there is a mosquito nets over the bed so we are ok. He even check if the family rooms is available so we can switch if possible but being the Mar holidays, all the family rooms are used up. That was nice. The kids enjoy the pizza making but got 2 moz bites as well, the fishing ponds is so fun even for adults we went back the 2nd day. After swim, the kids basically kong out on the nice comfy bed. Reception on tv was not good though but that's not impt. The mosquito net seems effective but we realize that the fan on top could not get wind into the net as it is polyester. We thought it will be nice if the toilet and the bedroom has a door to separate as the toilet has an open roof that when the next door flush I could hear them. I pity the next door when the kids are talking too loud! The fact that we did not go down batam centre or Nagoya is we just want to chill out in resort and not jostle in the crowds. When we checkout, friendly staff Bona was there to say goodbye. When we told him about the moz kisses on the kids, he offer to get some lotion, which we say it's ok, the kids are used to it and does not matter since we had fun and afterall, short trip, good fun, friendly staff, value money. Thanks Harris!

• Stayed March 2011
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, March 21, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,
Sunny Greetings from the Harris Resort Batam...
Thank you so much for staying with us and we are delighted that Yourself and your family have really enjoyed the Resort.
Indeed Harris Resort Batam is catered for various segments of clientele in different buildings.
Funky wing is designed especially for families with Children
Trendy wing is designed for Singles and Couples over 18 years old
Cabanas are designed for honeymooners.
We have well noted your comments concerning the ceiling fan and the Mosquito net and also the room isolation. we are going to take care of those issues immediately.
We are looking forward to welcoming You back once again soon.
General manager-harris resort Batam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

Had 2 night stay over at Harris Batam 2 weeks ago to get away from the busy Singapore City Life. Conveniently located about 50 mins away from Singapore by ferry and pickup at the ferry terminal by the Hotel Staff. Hotel is just located less then 5 mins away from the terminal.
Was greeted by staff with maps and offered refreshments and towel upon arrival. Checking in took about 20mins as there is only 2 staff doing the check in which i felt is a bit slow. They should have open up more counters as there's only 2 ferry coming from Singapore a day.
Was checked into a cabana suit with Sea view. Cabana rooms are located at the end of the property beside the new Trendy rooms. Not exactly the kind of Sea view that i was expecting but its still good cause its peaceful and quiet but a walk away from the lobby. Guard was very kind to bring me to my room. Really like the room design and layout. There's sofa at the patio and a cushion to read books and relax. Bathroom uses natural lighting thru a top opening so you could take a peek at the sky which relaxing in the bathtub. Flooring is all parquet flooring. Room is well maintained but could have a few minor changes to make it even better.
Facilities in the hotel will make get you busy for the whole day (provided its not raining).
Free use of Gym , Sauna, and cold/hot jacuzzi is big thumbs up!
Swimming pool is incredible but too bad it was raining throughout the 3 days i was staying thus couldn't make use of it.

Will definitely stay over again once i have the opportunity!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Sunny Greetings from the Harris Resort Batam
We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay and are thankful to you for spreading the word on this channel.
We sincerely hope to welcome you back to the resort again very soon.

Stylianos Koureas-General manager
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

We stayed at Harris for 2d1n. This was our second time there after 2 years. The resort had been renovated and they even added a new wing which was more modern.

However, we stayed at the older rooms but was still ok. Service provided by the staff was excellent. Everything was attended to very promptly. Even when we were early for check in, they tried their best to arrange a room as soon as possible.

We tried the water sports which was very enjoyable. Prices are reasonable. Even the lady there was friendly and helpful.

H spa was very good. Seems like it was a new addition from the last time we came. But the spa is a must try!

We met the project manager, Mr. Vincent Gunawan. He was very helpful and extended his hospitality to us.

Harris has indeed changed from the last time we been there. This will definitely be the hotel of choice whenever we go batam for a quick weekend getaway.

Thanks to everyone who has made this an enjoyable stay for us.

Vanessa

• Stayed March 2011
Dear Vanessa,
Sunny Greetings from the Harris Resort Batam
We are delighted to have you back to our Resort for the second time.
Thank you so much for your very nice comments and we are delighted to hear that you had enjoy your stay.
We will praise Vincent accordingly and thank you so much for mentioning his name.
Looking forward welcoming You back soon.
General manager-Harris Resort Batam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

A very nice resort near the beach in Batam, although there is not much of a beach to speak of. However the resort is a great choice for a weekend getaway from Singapore, just a short ferry ride away. The staff were extremely nice and did everything they could to make our stay enjoyable.
The downside is that the resort is in a secluded part of the island and quite far from the main town area.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

i needed a short getaway after a stressful week and thought of batam.....i suppose the orange and green corporate colour on your hotel logo appealed to me cos it looks cheery and i needed a pick-me-up environment. browsed your website, read reviews, checked out travellers pics and decision made.....im off to harris batam for 4D3N stay....

my ferry ride to batam was efficient and was greeted by your hotel representative at the waterfront terminal. it was a short shuttle ride to the hotel. i was greeted with a cold towel and drink....thank u...

check in was pretty fast as i had printouts from my online reservations. i was told i had to put a security deposit of S$50 which is refundable upon checkout. not a big deal but good to know for future guests...then i headed to concierge counter and the lady behind it helped me with my ferry booking back to singapore. bookings for city shuttle (nagoya hill shopping ctr) can also be done there or at the reception. its S$10 for a two-ways ride at stipulated pickup / dropoff time. 45 mins ride tho.

my room (#2325) is located in the new trendy wing; 3rd floor, facing the sea...well, not much of a view but its quiet and peaceful. room is spacious with simple furnishing and fairly clean. floor was abit dusty so i used the floor mat provided and wet wiped it myself. bathroom was ok. i like the rain shower but it did not work as well as i wanted it to. the showerhead was not fixed properly so i got part tap flow, part rain shower. one of the downlight was hanging off the ceiling. other than that everything else was in order.

walking around the hotel vicinity was nice. i found out the single storey building in front of my balcony is actually the harris cabanas. the beach is a non-swimming beach but nice spot to watch sunset from.

the poolside was where i spent most of my afternoons sleeping. my favourite spot is the sheltered cabana on the wooden islet at the end of the bridge cos there's less disturbance. now the pool....once in the water i dived deep and touched the pool floor and was a bit shocked to see a whirl of sand rising from the bottom. i did ponder when was the last pool cleaning.

i opted for the room only package so i had to pay extra for breakfast (S$10) which i did the next day. pretty good spread. the hotel is far from city so my other and cheaper food option apart from hotel room service (quite pricey at average of $15 a dish but portion is justified) is the monkey beach hut located near the Hgrill as well as the local food outlet across the road from the hotel guardhouse.

all in all, i enjoyed my stay there and got what i needed; a good rest......looking forward to going back to harris next visit.......oh, did i mention my favourite part of the trip was the bed? i slept like a log!! :-)

check out my pics....says it all....

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Sunny Greetings from the Harris Resort Batam
We have well noted that the cleanliness of the floor was not adequate and also the cleannliness of the swimming Pool.
We will immedaitely take care of both matters.
Indeeed the bed is the most Clients favorite......
We sincerely hope to welcome you back to the resort again very soon.
General Manager-Harris Resort Batam
gm@harris-batam.com

Been to HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront? Share your experiences!