“Holiday Inn Batam Isalnd was an oasis” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Resort Batam

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Resort Batam to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Resort Batam
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Waterfront City, Riau Islands Province 29422, Indonesia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 64 hotels in Batam
Coffs Harbour, Australia
“Holiday Inn Batam Isalnd was an oasis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

When leaving the Holiday Inn Batam yesterday, my wife, kids and I all wished we could have stayed longer. Frank, Yudi, Leslie and the entire team at Holiday Inn were so accommodating and friendly to us all and we thank them for making our stay even more pleasurable.

Rooms:
We booked a 2 room Family Suite. It consisted of a combined Lounge/Dining which was very functional and comfortable. It had DVD player, Playstation and large flat screen TV. The room also had a full size fridge which is great. The Main bedroom had a queen bed and very very comfortable. The children also had their own kid suite coming off the lounge which had two single beds made up with colourful Disney Doona/Quilts, plush toys etc. They were thrilled.
In addition, this room has 2 toilets and full bath and seperate shower.
We had a room on the ground (1st) floor and had a door leading to a small terrace with a fish pond and authentic bridge that we could cross to get to the pool.

Facilities:
The Children loved the pool. It was huge, warm and very clean. We were able to sit on the numerous, very comfortable lounges and have a drink from the bar. Towels are provided and their is no 'towel-police' like you can find at other hotels, which was great. The Kids also used the kids Play room and even though their was no supervision scheduled on weekdays, some of the staff dropped in to setup painting etc.

Restaurants:
There are a number of restaurants on-site and all were great. The Chinese restaurant was delicious and reasonable priced. The Japanese Teppanyaki was also great and the kids really enjoyed watching the food be cooked.

Tea Tree Spa:
I used this service for 8hrs in total over 3 days. It was wonderful. Private self-contained villas,l great staff and a wonderful relaxing experience. Just be aware that the villas are outdoor, so if it is hot/humid - so are you.

We utilised the hotel services to/from Waterfront Ferry which was very convenient. If you give the front desk your tickets/immigration forms then they will pickup your boarding passes and pre-print all required documents to ensure a smooth exit and re-entry.
We also had a hotel car trip into Batam/Nagoya for some shopping. The driver was professional and extremely helpful.

Overall a wonderful experience and we would definately return next time we are passing through Singapore - a great escape from the hustle and bustle of Singapore and an authentic Indonesiam atmosphere in batam

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ResortBatam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Batam, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Rod, thank you so much for the nice comments and commendations on our people. The entire team and I are delighted to read such wonderful reviews. We hope you had a pleasant journey back and we are looking forward welcoming you again in our Holiday Inn Resort Batam.

353 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Can't go wrong staying in holiday inn. Lovely rooms (and even larger bathrooms!) and are very clean.

However the corridors are dated and the door lock mechanisms needs to be changed. We were stuck outside our room for almost an hour and there was a really annoying sound coming from the lock.

All in all, the service was up to standard and the pool is fantastic. The barbecue buffet is a good spread and I really enjoyed the ambience eating by the pool with live music. But do note it's available only on Saturdays. A great weekend getaway!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear guest, thanks for this wonderful feedback which we are glad to share with the team. Please be informed that we are currently working on the painting of the hotel facade and the guest corridors so that in the future you will even more enjoy your stay with us. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in our Holiday Inn Resort Batam.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

A short 3D2N getaway for my "new" family with our 5 month old baby. Ok, maybe traveling with a 5 month old isn't the best idea but I guess it speaks of how much I wanted a getaway before getting back to work.

Love love love the hotel room that came with a gorgeous view of the pool. :) Good start. Plus it has a clean feel despite all the comments that it is old.

Breakfast was sumptuous. There's definitely something for everyone including a breast feeding mum like me (very cautious with food as baby has eczema)

Hubby treated me to tea tree spa, thanks to the reviews!! Beautiful place with very pampering massage experience with masseur Uchik. Unfortunately, had my javanese massage done at night (had to put baby to bed first). Thus could not enjoy the nice looking jacuzzi in the middle of the spa area, as it's their closing time.

As its off peak season, we were the only ones that took the shuttle back from city. So we were given a private car. The driver, Tabi, impressed us most. He is conversant in English, really better than most Batam islanders. Only to find out that Holiday Inn sends their staff for English course at the local university. Salute the management for doing such a wonderful thing. The driver spoke with pride and joy about it! My baby started fussing towards the end of the journey and Tabi was visibly driving faster yet safely and drove us all the way back to our block instead of just stopping at hotel lobby. ;)

Holiday Inn staff are very friendly and well trained. A couple of them whose names I can't recall.

Overall hubby and I were very pleased with our stay. Definitely relaxed and geared for work after 6 months hiatus.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear guest, thanks for this wonderful feedback which we are glad to share with the team. Especially we are impressed that you have chosen our resort for your first "New" family trip. We hope to see you more often in our hotel so that we can show all our children friendly facilities to your little one whilst the baby is growing up. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in our Holiday Inn Resort Batam.

Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed here last weekend (2 nights) as a short getaway from Singapore. We checked into a 2-bedroom suite.

The Pros:
- The shuttle bus service to town (Nagoya hills and Batam Centre) was a convenient service
- The gym was very equipped; there was even a ping pong table near the gym
- The teppanyaki experience (outdoor) was good
- As a priority club member, the complimentary 15-min massage at the Tea Tree Spa was a real treat!

The Cons:
- Alcohol prices at the bar were quite steep (very close to what bars in SGP charge)
- The rooms looked aged and tired
- There's practically nothing nearby

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest, thanks for this wonderful feedback which we are glad to share with the team. As you mentioned although we are not located in the city centre a lot of guests are commending the resort feeling while staying with us. We also noted your comments regarding F&B prices and rooms. As quite a selection of drinks (beer and wine) are imported from Singapore the prices are not much different from there. Regarding the rooms please be informed that we are currently working on some face lifting of the rooms and guest hallways. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in our Holiday Inn Resort Batam.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This hotel is good and cosy moment during my last year stay with my friends and I am going to stay in Holiday Inn this weekend to celebrate me and my husband 9th yrs anniversary and hope will give us another unforgettable moment.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ResortBatam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Batam, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Sandy, the entire team and I are delighted that you have chosen our Holiday Inn Resort Batam for celebrating your 9th anniversary. Please be assured that we will especially taking care of your stay. To have a comfortable start please let me know via email (frank.schoenherr@ihg.com) what are your ferry details so that we can arrange a complimentary pickup. Have a safe trip and see you soon in Batam.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Booked this hotel for my son's post birthday celebration. We were given an upgrade to 2br suite from 1br which surprised us since we're just a small family of 3, aside from the huge room given to us, we also love the view from the balcony since it's facing the pool area. My son enjoyed playing at Panda Kids Club and swimming at the kids pool area, too bad that he can't stay that long since it was raining then. Also had a massage at Tea Tree Spa after eating breakfast. The ambiance of the spa is nice, but I can't say the same with the massage as I expected more from it because of the raves that I read online. I've had better massages before at a cheaper price I must say that's why I wasn't that satisfied.

As much as I want to give an excellent rating, I think there's a lot of improvement, taste wise, that should be done with the food from Terrace Cafe =)

Another thing, during our checkout, we waited for more than 15mins for the bellboy to arrive which caused an argument with our RUDE travel guide named AMEI from Desindo Tours. We were instructed to check out at 11:30 in which we gave the front desk a ring at around 11:15 to checkout and to send a bellboy to assist us with our stuff. After waiting for the bellboy to arrive, my husband and my son went straight to the lobby together with the bellboy while I did a side trip to the pool area to take a picture before we leave. As I was about to cross the bridge going to Terrace Cafe, our guide was outside the cafe area and was saying something in a raised voice (bordering to shouting already) which I didn't understand at first since I was more than 10ft away from her so I told her to wait and I can't hear her. When I got near her, she started yakking telling me she waited for half an hour already for us, telling me that we're not picking up the phone from our room (Which is so NOT true since we didn't receive ANY calls from the lobby area and I'm very sure the phone is working fine since I called from the lobby before going up to our room after my massage). Tried to explain to her at first that the bellboy took longer than the usual to get to our room but she didn't calm down and even argued with me when she looked for my husband and I told her that my husband's in the lobby area already, which she replied with a "I was just there and I didn't see him" and answered her back since I was getting upset already with the treatment that I'm getting from this unprofessional guide.

When she went to the lobby and saw my husband, she did the same thing but this time she started calming down when she realized that she's not going to win the argument with me and my husband. While my husband was waiting for the checkout arrangements to be finished, Amei made a phonecall to someone where she narrated what happened with some side comments that she was pissed off eat, in HOKKIEN and probably thinking that we don't understand hokkien at all (we're a hokkien speaking family). I was supposed to confront her regarding this but my husband told me just to let it pass since he was starting to get pissed off with her already and don't want to aggravate things further. We deserve a better treatment since were the guests yet she dared to act unprofessional towards us. We can let go of the nonsense day tour (Beware of these so-called factory outlets, they're all FAKE and overpriced. Kueh Lapis is overpriced since these are only $16 in kiosks at malls there. Lunch at Golden Prawn 555 was also a disappointment, we asked for coke and sprite when we were given options on what drinks to order only to be given a "local" version of sprite instead) but we don't take this kind of treatment sitting down. Emailed Desindo Tours and the agency here in Sngapore that fixed our booking with Desindo but didn't get a reply from them with my feedback (When they used to reply promptly before. Hah.)

Overall, our stay at this hotel is good except for the rude and unprofessional tour guide that was assigned to us which stressed us.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ResortBatam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Batam, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear guest, thanks for choosing our resort and for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. Please be assured that this has been discussed already with the team. We have noted your comments regarding the tour guide and will also discuss this with travel agency for proper actions. Once again thank you very much for your stay with Holiday Inn Resort Batam.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My family and I had a great time! Hotel fixtures are a bit old, a bit of mould here and there in the bathroom, but I must say it was a very comfortable stay. Clean rooms. Initial musty smell, but once the aircon got running, the smell was gone.

Cable TV (HBO etc). Wi-fi connection in the lobby was fast :)

The pool would have been better if it had gotten a scrub down along the walls and in between the tiles to get rid of a bit of algae. And the connectivity of the different sections of the pool was a bit weird, so you have to get out of the pool along the high sides, step on a bit of grass and stones here and there to get to the different areas. The water flow along the "river" in the pool could be increased as well, felt a little bit stagnant and slimy in the slow flowing "river" portion of the pool. But the shallow gently sloping area was great for kids (my child is 2).

And the Kid's play area was great too and staffed by really friendly staff whom I would entrust my child with :)

Breakfast spread was pretty good though the asian selection was much better than the western. The lamb curry and chicken was pretty darn good! And the coffee too :)

Staff were just typical. Typical Indonesian hospitality that is:) Welcoming and genuine:) Reception staff, the shuttle driver, the restaurant staff - all delightful! Great job! Hotel restaurant food was rather expensive though. Hence the need to head out to grab a bite.

Free shuttle at set times to nagoya hill and batam centre. In my opinion, if it's shopping you want, don't waste your time. I would only go to nagoya to get groceries / toiletries and a simple meal. Eat at the food steet in Nagoya hill, DO NOT eat at the restaurants on the upper floors. And under NO circumstances should you eat the western food! My steak looked like road kill and was just...urgh...the sop buntut was the same...Rip-off. The food street was a lot better - unpretentious and a lot better value for $.

The lift - this bit was a bit scary. It definitely needs some work. It would shiver at times along the journey. Overall lift condition - old.

But all in all, we had a great time and will very likely stay at the Holiday Inn again when we return to Batam:)

Tip : Get a ferry to/from waterfront ferry terminal. 2 minute drive away from the hotel. We arrived at Batam Centre terminal and it took a 40min drive. We left from waterfront. A lot less crowded too! But the ferry from waterfront stopped at sekupang otw back to singapore. Total journey about 1hr 20min from waterfront to Singapore, but land travelling time A LOT shorter.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ResortBatam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Batam, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear guest, thanks for this wonderful feedback which we are glad to share with the team. Especially your comments regarding our people and the Kid's facilities I loved to read. Kids Stay and Eat Free is one of the hallmarks from Holiday Inn. And that is why we want to make sure that our youngest guests are feeling here Like Home. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in our Holiday Inn Resort Batam.

Frank Schoenherr

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Batam? Share your experiences!