“A weekend retreat” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Resort Batam

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Resort Batam to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Resort Batam
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Waterfront City, Riau Islands Province 29422, Indonesia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 69 hotels in Batam
“A weekend retreat”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed here last weekend (2 nights) as a short getaway from Singapore. We checked into a 2-bedroom suite.

The Pros:
- The shuttle bus service to town (Nagoya hills and Batam Centre) was a convenient service
- The gym was very equipped; there was even a ping pong table near the gym
- The teppanyaki experience (outdoor) was good
- As a priority club member, the complimentary 15-min massage at the Tea Tree Spa was a real treat!

The Cons:
- Alcohol prices at the bar were quite steep (very close to what bars in SGP charge)
- The rooms looked aged and tired
- There's practically nothing nearby

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
ResortBatam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Batam, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear guest, thanks for this wonderful feedback which we are glad to share with the team. As you mentioned although we are not located in the city centre a lot of guests are commending the resort feeling while staying with us. We also noted your comments regarding F&B prices and rooms. As quite a selection of drinks (beer and wine) are imported from Singapore the prices are not much different from there. Regarding the rooms please be informed that we are currently working on some face lifting of the rooms and guest hallways. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in our Holiday Inn Resort Batam.

404 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This hotel is good and cosy moment during my last year stay with my friends and I am going to stay in Holiday Inn this weekend to celebrate me and my husband 9th yrs anniversary and hope will give us another unforgettable moment.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ResortBatam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Batam, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Sandy, the entire team and I are delighted that you have chosen our Holiday Inn Resort Batam for celebrating your 9th anniversary. Please be assured that we will especially taking care of your stay. To have a comfortable start please let me know via email (frank.schoenherr@ihg.com) what are your ferry details so that we can arrange a complimentary pickup. Have a safe trip and see you soon in Batam.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Booked this hotel for my son's post birthday celebration. We were given an upgrade to 2br suite from 1br which surprised us since we're just a small family of 3, aside from the huge room given to us, we also love the view from the balcony since it's facing the pool area. My son enjoyed playing at Panda Kids Club and swimming at the kids pool area, too bad that he can't stay that long since it was raining then. Also had a massage at Tea Tree Spa after eating breakfast. The ambiance of the spa is nice, but I can't say the same with the massage as I expected more from it because of the raves that I read online. I've had better massages before at a cheaper price I must say that's why I wasn't that satisfied.

As much as I want to give an excellent rating, I think there's a lot of improvement, taste wise, that should be done with the food from Terrace Cafe =)

Another thing, during our checkout, we waited for more than 15mins for the bellboy to arrive which caused an argument with our RUDE travel guide named AMEI from Desindo Tours. We were instructed to check out at 11:30 in which we gave the front desk a ring at around 11:15 to checkout and to send a bellboy to assist us with our stuff. After waiting for the bellboy to arrive, my husband and my son went straight to the lobby together with the bellboy while I did a side trip to the pool area to take a picture before we leave. As I was about to cross the bridge going to Terrace Cafe, our guide was outside the cafe area and was saying something in a raised voice (bordering to shouting already) which I didn't understand at first since I was more than 10ft away from her so I told her to wait and I can't hear her. When I got near her, she started yakking telling me she waited for half an hour already for us, telling me that we're not picking up the phone from our room (Which is so NOT true since we didn't receive ANY calls from the lobby area and I'm very sure the phone is working fine since I called from the lobby before going up to our room after my massage). Tried to explain to her at first that the bellboy took longer than the usual to get to our room but she didn't calm down and even argued with me when she looked for my husband and I told her that my husband's in the lobby area already, which she replied with a "I was just there and I didn't see him" and answered her back since I was getting upset already with the treatment that I'm getting from this unprofessional guide.

When she went to the lobby and saw my husband, she did the same thing but this time she started calming down when she realized that she's not going to win the argument with me and my husband. While my husband was waiting for the checkout arrangements to be finished, Amei made a phonecall to someone where she narrated what happened with some side comments that she was pissed off eat, in HOKKIEN and probably thinking that we don't understand hokkien at all (we're a hokkien speaking family). I was supposed to confront her regarding this but my husband told me just to let it pass since he was starting to get pissed off with her already and don't want to aggravate things further. We deserve a better treatment since were the guests yet she dared to act unprofessional towards us. We can let go of the nonsense day tour (Beware of these so-called factory outlets, they're all FAKE and overpriced. Kueh Lapis is overpriced since these are only $16 in kiosks at malls there. Lunch at Golden Prawn 555 was also a disappointment, we asked for coke and sprite when we were given options on what drinks to order only to be given a "local" version of sprite instead) but we don't take this kind of treatment sitting down. Emailed Desindo Tours and the agency here in Sngapore that fixed our booking with Desindo but didn't get a reply from them with my feedback (When they used to reply promptly before. Hah.)

Overall, our stay at this hotel is good except for the rude and unprofessional tour guide that was assigned to us which stressed us.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ResortBatam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Batam, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear guest, thanks for choosing our resort and for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. Please be assured that this has been discussed already with the team. We have noted your comments regarding the tour guide and will also discuss this with travel agency for proper actions. Once again thank you very much for your stay with Holiday Inn Resort Batam.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My family and I had a great time! Hotel fixtures are a bit old, a bit of mould here and there in the bathroom, but I must say it was a very comfortable stay. Clean rooms. Initial musty smell, but once the aircon got running, the smell was gone.

Cable TV (HBO etc). Wi-fi connection in the lobby was fast :)

The pool would have been better if it had gotten a scrub down along the walls and in between the tiles to get rid of a bit of algae. And the connectivity of the different sections of the pool was a bit weird, so you have to get out of the pool along the high sides, step on a bit of grass and stones here and there to get to the different areas. The water flow along the "river" in the pool could be increased as well, felt a little bit stagnant and slimy in the slow flowing "river" portion of the pool. But the shallow gently sloping area was great for kids (my child is 2).

And the Kid's play area was great too and staffed by really friendly staff whom I would entrust my child with :)

Breakfast spread was pretty good though the asian selection was much better than the western. The lamb curry and chicken was pretty darn good! And the coffee too :)

Staff were just typical. Typical Indonesian hospitality that is:) Welcoming and genuine:) Reception staff, the shuttle driver, the restaurant staff - all delightful! Great job! Hotel restaurant food was rather expensive though. Hence the need to head out to grab a bite.

Free shuttle at set times to nagoya hill and batam centre. In my opinion, if it's shopping you want, don't waste your time. I would only go to nagoya to get groceries / toiletries and a simple meal. Eat at the food steet in Nagoya hill, DO NOT eat at the restaurants on the upper floors. And under NO circumstances should you eat the western food! My steak looked like road kill and was just...urgh...the sop buntut was the same...Rip-off. The food street was a lot better - unpretentious and a lot better value for $.

The lift - this bit was a bit scary. It definitely needs some work. It would shiver at times along the journey. Overall lift condition - old.

But all in all, we had a great time and will very likely stay at the Holiday Inn again when we return to Batam:)

Tip : Get a ferry to/from waterfront ferry terminal. 2 minute drive away from the hotel. We arrived at Batam Centre terminal and it took a 40min drive. We left from waterfront. A lot less crowded too! But the ferry from waterfront stopped at sekupang otw back to singapore. Total journey about 1hr 20min from waterfront to Singapore, but land travelling time A LOT shorter.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ResortBatam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Batam, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear guest, thanks for this wonderful feedback which we are glad to share with the team. Especially your comments regarding our people and the Kid's facilities I loved to read. Kids Stay and Eat Free is one of the hallmarks from Holiday Inn. And that is why we want to make sure that our youngest guests are feeling here Like Home. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in our Holiday Inn Resort Batam.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

booked this hotel a month in advance and was able to help us a lot in ferry arrangements - they reply very quick in facebook. so i was expecting to be the same when we arrived at the hotel. upon arrival, reception just asked us to sit down at the lobby which was crowded. they also said we can roam around the hotel while our room was still not yet available without even explaining what can we do around or what facilities they have. we left our luggage and left the hotel for a massage and told them to bring the luggage once the room is available but once we got back (half a day after) it was still in the lobby. anyway, on the brighter side, the room was spacious - we booked a 1 bedroom suite. pool was clean, not sure if it is just a weekday but it wasn't overcrowded. it was just us and a few kids swimming around. i think the problem here is that the hotel is alarmingly understaffed or not properly trained - severe managerial issues.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ResortBatam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Batam, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear guest, thank you for choosing our Holiday Inn Resort Batam and for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. Please be assured that this has been already discussed with the team so that proper training will take place to avoid reoccurring of similar experiences. Once again thank you very much for sharing your comments with us.

singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Went recently for a stay at 2 bedroom suite at Batam. i'd rate their kids club better than the one at Harris Resort, given the level of enthusiasm by my kids. (which is surprising, as the kids club is only 1 huge room, with TV on upper level, but i suppose the young caretaker there managed to keep kids occupied) there are activities such as coloring, painting, origami, easter egg hunt.

facilities wise, there's microwave, & stove, cutlery & plates, but no pots nor pans. note - there's no dishwashing liquid at kitchen area, but you could improvise with their soap bar.

the rooms are very kid friendly, with blackboard in living area, hanging nets for kids to play ping-pong throws, books to read, chalk to draw, etc.

toiletries wise quite good, not too runny/abrasive.

on the whole, although the room has a slight musty smell, i'd still stay here again if i'm bringing kids to batam, as their swimming pools has slides, jacuzzi, fountain sprays & an interesting kids club.

i'm quite comfortable chucking my kids there while taking the shuttle bus to Nagoya - there are 2 timings on weekdays and 3 timings on weekends, so quite convenient.

the staff at check-in are attentive, with good memory for names. they also have a games room with WII & table football. but would be better if it's clearly labelled where guests should go to get the discs & tokens.

no comments on breakfast as i ate out everyday with kids, hotel food too expensive

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest, thanks for this wonderful feedback which we are glad to share with the entire team. A special thank you also to your Kids who are loving our resort. To be Family friendly is one of the hallmarks of Holiday Inn and we are glad that you could experience it whilst staying with us. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in our Holiday Inn Resort Batam.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband and I live in Singapore and thought we would spend a relaxing long weekend at the Holiday Inn Resort Batam. While it was very nice to get away from our busy life in the city, there were several things that contributed to this average rating.

We arrived at the hotel at around 2:15pm (check-in begins at 2). We were told our room was not ready, but that it would be available in around 15 minutes and someone would come find us at that time. We went back to the lobby sitting area, enjoyed a glass of the free juice they have out for guests and waited. And waited. At around 3, I went back to check on the status of our room. I'm pretty sure they forgot about us because of the look I got from the front desk person. She immediately got on the computer and began our room search. A few minutes later and she was still looking at the computer screen, this time with another member of the front desk speaking Indonesian. I asked if there was a problem with the room, they assured me no but then a third person joined their party. I asked again what was going on and was told everything was fine. It took several more minutes and still no explanation but we were given a room on the 8th floor overlooking the pool. The view was great, the room was clean, but they gave my husband and I a room with two twin beds. After the ordeal with getting this room in the first place, we were not about to argue or ask for a replacement. The mattresses were clean and very comfortable, we each got great sleep on our own bed :)

The pool area was very nice with areas for children to play, wading pools, etc. However, there were only a small number of lounge chairs available, certainly not enough to support the number of guests staying there. They also decided to do some painting on the walls of the hotel exterior near the pool area which smelled unpleasant to anyone trying to relax in one of their shaded areas. I'm not against hotel renovations but during a busy holiday weekend? There had to be a better time than that.

The food was of average to poor quality, especially considering the price you pay for it. Our last morning there, my husband found a small worm crawling on the outside of his egg. It was probably from the bed of rice they were sitting on and the egg still had the shell on. We pointed it out to staff and they handled it well, even offering to get us another egg but we pretty much lost our appetite after that. Living in a tropical region bugs are a way of life and this was on the outside of the shell, we never had any other problem like that with our other meals.

On a bright note, my husband and I got a one hour massage in a private villa and it was amazing. The facility was nice and we left feeling very comfortable and relaxed. Would recommend other travelers to try it.

So all in all, it was a very relaxing weekend, the staff were very attentive and friendly, there were a variety of food and entertainment options within the resort to choose from. While we would not be against returning for another visit, it is not high on our list of places we are excited about returning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ResortBatam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Batam, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear guest, thanks for choosing our hotel and for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. Please be assured that this has been discussed already with the team so that such incidents are not reoccurring. In case Batam becomes again an option for your deserved weekend escape we would be glad to welcome you back.

Frank Schoenherr

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Batam? Share your experiences!