“Family Suite” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Resort Batam

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Resort Batam to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Resort Batam
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Waterfront City, Riau Islands Province 29422, Indonesia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 68 hotels in Batam
singapore
“Family Suite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Went recently for a stay at 2 bedroom suite at Batam. i'd rate their kids club better than the one at Harris Resort, given the level of enthusiasm by my kids. (which is surprising, as the kids club is only 1 huge room, with TV on upper level, but i suppose the young caretaker there managed to keep kids occupied) there are activities such as coloring, painting, origami, easter egg hunt.

facilities wise, there's microwave, & stove, cutlery & plates, but no pots nor pans. note - there's no dishwashing liquid at kitchen area, but you could improvise with their soap bar.

the rooms are very kid friendly, with blackboard in living area, hanging nets for kids to play ping-pong throws, books to read, chalk to draw, etc.

toiletries wise quite good, not too runny/abrasive.

on the whole, although the room has a slight musty smell, i'd still stay here again if i'm bringing kids to batam, as their swimming pools has slides, jacuzzi, fountain sprays & an interesting kids club.

i'm quite comfortable chucking my kids there while taking the shuttle bus to Nagoya - there are 2 timings on weekdays and 3 timings on weekends, so quite convenient.

the staff at check-in are attentive, with good memory for names. they also have a games room with WII & table football. but would be better if it's clearly labelled where guests should go to get the discs & tokens.

no comments on breakfast as i ate out everyday with kids, hotel food too expensive

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ResortBatam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Batam, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear guest, thanks for this wonderful feedback which we are glad to share with the entire team. A special thank you also to your Kids who are loving our resort. To be Family friendly is one of the hallmarks of Holiday Inn and we are glad that you could experience it whilst staying with us. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in our Holiday Inn Resort Batam.

392 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband and I live in Singapore and thought we would spend a relaxing long weekend at the Holiday Inn Resort Batam. While it was very nice to get away from our busy life in the city, there were several things that contributed to this average rating.

We arrived at the hotel at around 2:15pm (check-in begins at 2). We were told our room was not ready, but that it would be available in around 15 minutes and someone would come find us at that time. We went back to the lobby sitting area, enjoyed a glass of the free juice they have out for guests and waited. And waited. At around 3, I went back to check on the status of our room. I'm pretty sure they forgot about us because of the look I got from the front desk person. She immediately got on the computer and began our room search. A few minutes later and she was still looking at the computer screen, this time with another member of the front desk speaking Indonesian. I asked if there was a problem with the room, they assured me no but then a third person joined their party. I asked again what was going on and was told everything was fine. It took several more minutes and still no explanation but we were given a room on the 8th floor overlooking the pool. The view was great, the room was clean, but they gave my husband and I a room with two twin beds. After the ordeal with getting this room in the first place, we were not about to argue or ask for a replacement. The mattresses were clean and very comfortable, we each got great sleep on our own bed :)

The pool area was very nice with areas for children to play, wading pools, etc. However, there were only a small number of lounge chairs available, certainly not enough to support the number of guests staying there. They also decided to do some painting on the walls of the hotel exterior near the pool area which smelled unpleasant to anyone trying to relax in one of their shaded areas. I'm not against hotel renovations but during a busy holiday weekend? There had to be a better time than that.

The food was of average to poor quality, especially considering the price you pay for it. Our last morning there, my husband found a small worm crawling on the outside of his egg. It was probably from the bed of rice they were sitting on and the egg still had the shell on. We pointed it out to staff and they handled it well, even offering to get us another egg but we pretty much lost our appetite after that. Living in a tropical region bugs are a way of life and this was on the outside of the shell, we never had any other problem like that with our other meals.

On a bright note, my husband and I got a one hour massage in a private villa and it was amazing. The facility was nice and we left feeling very comfortable and relaxed. Would recommend other travelers to try it.

So all in all, it was a very relaxing weekend, the staff were very attentive and friendly, there were a variety of food and entertainment options within the resort to choose from. While we would not be against returning for another visit, it is not high on our list of places we are excited about returning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ResortBatam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Batam, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear guest, thanks for choosing our hotel and for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. Please be assured that this has been discussed already with the team so that such incidents are not reoccurring. In case Batam becomes again an option for your deserved weekend escape we would be glad to welcome you back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

A frequent visitor to Batam, I’ve stayed in a few other hotels / resorts in Nongsa, Nagoya, Sekupang and Water Front areas. But to date, last weekend’s getaway at Holiday Inn Resort Batam is the best experience I’ve had!

SERVICE
The warmth in service exudes in every touch point, from my email correspondence with reservations prior to arrival, to the lovely reception at the front office, to answering our queries politely at concierge, and to meeting our requests in-room efficiently. I know that the resort was operating at full occupancy last weekend, being the Easter break, and I can imagine how tiring it must be to attend to guest after guest after guest. Thence, I am deeply impressed by the level of professionalism displayed by everyone in the team.

SPA
I thoroughly enjoyed the massage session at the in-house Tea Tree Spa. Again, here the service is impeccable! The ambience relaxes you and the treatment lulls your stresses away – I’m not exaggerating, it does this for me and I’m sure it will for you too.

FOOD – TERRACE CAFE
We had dinner once on our first night at the Terrace Café, as I was craving for good Indonesian food. Our Sup Buntut (Oxtail Soup) and Ayam Bakar Bumbu (Grilled Chicken) were all right but kind of pricey, I feel. Two main dishes and two drinks added up to 370,620 Rupiah (about SGD48). But it’s all good at breakfast - the spread of local, western and continental favourites is fantastic! I get to have my favourite slightly-burnt toast with scrambled eggs, baked beans, roasted potatoes, sausages & bacon, as well as have a taste of Bihun Goreng (Fried Vermicelli) among other Asian dishes.

LOCATION
Whilst not near the city areas, the resort provides shuttle service to and from Nagoya shopping area. Holiday Inn Resort may be one of the few hotels/resorts that provide this service complimentary, which is commendable.

Stay Relaxed is an apt agenda indeed for getaways at Holiday Inn Resort, Batam! I left feeling recharged and rejuvenated, more than ever.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest, wow what a wonderful feedback which I am glad to share with the entire team. As you mentioned although we are not located in the city centre a lot of guests are commending the resort feeling while staying with us. We are pleased that you are now "recharged and rejuvenated" and have had an overall relaxed stay. In case some new and more energy needed in the near future the team and I are looking forward welcoming you back in the Holiday Inn Resort Batam.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Went to Holiday inn few days back.
Was glad to be back in Holiday Inn again, we've been coming to Holiday Inn almost yearly. :)
However this time, our room's lock was faulty. After we close the door, we tried to open it and it can be opened. We call the staff to help us repair it, however after repairing, the card couldn't open the door due to a change in the system. Thus, we called the staff to help us again. The problem kept surfacing :( Which was really bad....
The shuttle service provided sent us to Batam City Square, however no one came to pick us up at 6pm. We waited till 6:30pm but still no bus came. Was really disappointed as we stood at the bus stop for so long and it was really dangerous.
Thus, we had no choice but to take a taxi. Upon reaching back to the hotel room, we checked with the front desk, they showed us the list, and the staff actually ticked us as going to Nagoya! How can that be! We were really angry about this.

However, on a lighter note, we would like to thank your duty manager, Urman for assisting us. :)
We enjoyed the breakfast on the whole, although it can be improved by providing more food choices, instead of the same ones every year we came back. Please add more food choices if possible? :)
We still enjoy coming back to Holiday Inn even though we faced so many problems this time round. Hopefully Holiday Inn can follow up with this and improve :) And, if possible, pls provide some promotion for loyal customers? :)
Love that there were complimentary Kaorake and drinks!

Anyway, Holiday Inn is still the best place ever, very relaxing and enjoyable. Love the hotel overall! :D

Thumbs up for the team @ Holiday Inn, Batam!
Looking forward to coming here again next year. :D

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest, thanks for choosing our hotel again and taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. Please be assured that this has been discussed already with the team. We are working on upgrading our guest rooms so that such incidents are not happening again. Besides that also our Food & Beverage menus are under review right now so that for your next visit you shall be able to enjoy even more variety. Personally I am also very pleased that you put the name of our Duty Manager Usman online so that his outstanding service attitude can be celebrated with the team. Once again thank you very much for being a patron of our Holiday Inn Resort Batam.

Singapore, null, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is my second time going over for vacation. I want to go there for relax and enjoy my short trip end up became my unhappy vacation at here. i feel very disappointed. Their service getting horrendous. There are a few bad service that i wish they can improve.

1. front desk staffs - when we check in, we request for high floor corner room end up the highest floor he gave us is level 1. we told him level 1 is not high floor. we are so disappointed. We say no we wan high floor end up he say the room not ready yet, we need to wait so we ask how long we need to wait? i understand we reach ard 1pm and he say by right our check in is 2pm so no choice we had to wait until 2pm. finally we managed to get high floor room.

Actually after breakfast we forget to take our room key out with us. We decided to go reception to request for a extra key to enter our room. We explain to the staff and she was so RUDE to reply us Then? do we need to teach the staff what to do? Can't she ask in a proper way to issue a new key for us? or she need us to teach her what to do? Really Super ANGRY.

2. Terrence Cafe staffs - We went for breakfast on the next day, when we reached the cafe, one of the waiters ask for our room no and she ask we prefer sit indoor or outdoor, end up we chosen outdoor seats. The waiter asked us coffee or tea ? my friend request for cappuccino end up he say we don't have. We told him, we came here before and u guys do serve us cappuccino why this time round no more? after that he walked away with a rude and unhappy face. Really angry & disappointed. our plates at our table don't know for how long nobody bother to clear. one of the worst thing we had is when we are almost done with our breakfast, out of suddenly, one of the waitress came to our table and ask for our room no. we already given them why still ask us again and we are still eating. i think the waiter & waitress their communication fail. they really need to improve their services and communication. i don't know how many guests they treated well or bad? In hotel line, i think this is my first time had a horrendous service.

3. Before check out, we decided to order a pizza to deliver to our room. We request for more cheese and chili flakes, when the pizza arrive to our room, there is no cheeses & chili flakes for us, so we ask the staff, please get us some cheeses and chili flakes. While he taking for us, i want to take the photo of the pizza end up we saw there is a long strain of hair on it! when the staff came back with cheese and chili flakes, we told him we request to change the pizza and told him the reason end up he reply us SO? my friend say so you want us to eat that pizza with a long strain of hair on it? I said it was so unhygienic man. End up he take the pizza away with a unhappy face. Is this the way they treat the guests? REALLY HORRENDOUS SERVICE! we decide to cancel the pizza order because my friend and i no confidence whether will they make a new pizza for us or just simply remove the hair and bring back to us the same pizza back for us to eat.

End up we decide to talk to the manager about this issued. My friend came to this resort alot of times and this is my second time coming back again, end up what we see is horrendous services to us. We came back again because we like the spa there.

Overall there were too many bad services and making us so unhappy staying there. our vacation mood spoil by them. Lucky the good thing we can say are their tea tree spa and dragon inn restaurant . The staffs more profession and more friendly.

i think this is my last time going there. my friend and i will go look for other hotel/resort. I think the staffs need to go for training or improve their service if not i don't know how many guests they want to lose again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
ResortBatam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Batam, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear guest, if I am not mistaken I already spoke with your friend via telephone. If that was not the case please send me via email to frank.schoenherr@ihg.com your telephone number and the best time I can give you a call.

Thanks You!

Regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We actually wanted a special promotion Package but we we sent in our reservations late. Would like to thank Holiday inn for allowing us to still book the hotel under the promotion package by NTUC. Prompt and efficient service. The hotel is very well kept. Great pool! Would be good to have more than one timing for shuttle bus to Nagoya or maybe one Bus to Nagoya and another to a newer mall maybe at Waterfront? We stayed in the 2 room suite- the rooms are spacious and well maintained. Really great for a weekend getaway especially for families:)

• Stayed March 2013
Dear guest, thanks for this wonderful feedback which we are glad to share with the team. As you mentioned although we are not located in the city center a lot of guests are commending the resort feeling while staying with us. During weekends we are operating 3 times a day complimentary shuttles to Nagoya Shopping Mall. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in our Holiday Inn Resort Batam.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Need a quick weekend get away and we opted to return to Holiday Inn Resort Batam based on our prior experiences with the hotel. The hotel provided complimentary transport from the ferry terminal to the hotel, which is a nice touch. As we were early (about a couple of hours before their official check out time), we were made to wait for the room. We booked a 1 bedroom suite due to the extremely good value on the hotel's website. The booking also comes with late check out, complimentary Wifi access, and breakfast. As we were checking in, we were told the housekeeping department requires more time to make up our room, which left us with little choice but to wait.

Check in experience was horrible compared to the last time. I requested for a king size bed suite and high floor, the staff (Iqbal) told us the higher floors were all taken and can only assign us a lower floor room. When asked which floor were we assigned he told us the first floor, which is extremely noisy as it is by the pool and the first floor rooms also lacked privacy. Nonetheless we returned some 2 hours later while spending time over at the Dragon's Inn Chinese restaurant, where they have Dim Sum Buffet going on. After lunch we went back and checked if our room is ready. We were pleasantly informed that our room has been upgraded on high floor with king sized bed. However the good impression stopped there. When we booked our room, it comes with free Wifi and late check out. When enquired the check out time, without checking, Iqbal informed us that the check out time is at 12 noon. I asked about our special deal, then he verified it is at 4pm. Wifi information was not even offered and we had to call the call centre to check how to connect to internet.

The poor service did not stop there, the second day we had forgotten to bring our key for breakfast and approached the staffs at the check in counter, explaining our situation, her responses was "and then???". This is a 4 star establishment, with staff giving such response is unthinkable! The hotel should relook into training their staff what it means to provide good customer service. The staff at Terrace Cafe is as horrible as ever! No smiles, terrible service. The last time we came, we were offered Cappuccino, this time round when asked only coffee and tea are available! I told the staff at the cafe I was offered Cappuccino then he went off with a "what the hell" face and get us our Cappuccino. Food at breakfast service is at most average, the nasi lemak was not tasty and kinda blend. Choices are limited and the food do not seemed to be topped up. Terrible terrible service for Terrace Cafe.

Now the room we were assigned was great but looked aged. Though this is a 2 bedroom room, fixtures were starting to look boring and looked like they are in need of refurbishment. There was a simple dining table greeting us upon our entrance to the room followed by the couch area with a coffee table and a TV. The bedroom with the supposedly King size bed has a make up table, awkwardly placed at one corner of the room, sharing the same surface with the other TV in the room. the king size bed is actually queen size, sleep quality is at most average. I woke up with a stiff neck despite sleeping on the firm pillow. There is also a cheap looking wardrobe in this room. The other bedroom has another wardrobe with 2 single beds. It looked cramped with the placement of the furnitures. The balcony, overlooking the pool was a simple affair. Decked with a couple of deck chairs and a small table, it is only good for smoking.

There is 2 bathroom in this category. One next to the dining table with a simple toilet bowl, a sink and a standing shower. The other, inside the room with the queen size bed, has a smallish bathtub, toilet bowl and a sink. The bathroom is cramp and a simple affair.

We ordered pizza for lunch on the second day, the pizza came with a long strain of hair on it! We also asked for chill flakes and cheese, those were not delivered!!! What poor service!! I called the call centre to complain about this, the lady over at the other end did not seemed too keen to turn things around! Horrendous service! When the staff came back and we showed him the pizza with the hair, his response was a simple "SO??". He'd expect us to remove the hair and eat the pizza??!!! I told him I wanted to change the pizza, he left with a extremely unhappy face. I called the call centre again to get them to cancel the pizza as I am not sure if they will serve us the same pizza again by simply removing the hair! I have no confidence in their food.

The only saving grace for this establishment is the Tea Tree Spa. The staff are warm, caring and offered extremely good service. Will I come back here again??? NOT IN A MILLION YEARS!!! This will be my last time here! Terrible service, i would probably find joy in another hotel!

Room Tip: No Ground floor Rooms! Go Elsewhere where they value you more as a customer!