“Service standard has dropped tremendously!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Resort Batam

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Resort Batam to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Resort Batam
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Waterfront City, Riau Islands Province 29422, Indonesia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #5 of 66 hotels in Batam
“Service standard has dropped tremendously!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Me and my hubby went to Holiday Inn 8 yrs ago. We had a great time n service was great too. So, based on our good experience,we decided to bring our whole family,14 of us in total to stay during the Chinese New Year long break. Shuttle service from ferry terminal was a breeze and smooth. No waiting time which was a good start to our vacation. I thought.
Once we reached, my whole perception changed. Due to some gathering for some cultural group, the lobby was filled with tables n chairs. No sofa or couch to sit while waiting. Check in took quite a while. After check in, nobody guided us to our block n rooms, we had to find our own way. The staff had difficulty understanding English n even Malay. I asked for a nonslip mat for the bath tub(which i thought is a standard thing for all hotel toilets) n the staff came with towels! When we asked for the complimentary drinking water at night, no one came. The next morning,we had to call n ask again. We asked for mugs, it didnt come promptly,it only came after we left our room to go to our next family room and got a shock to see that the housekeeping just entered our room n placed the mugs inside. Is that how you respect your guests' privacy?They also didnt clear food trays outside the rooms promptly until trails of ants appeared.
The food was totally horrible and pricey! We ordered Ayam Bakar n the chicken tasted like its been kept for days!The kids club was pathetic too. When we came in, the staff just disappeared. n never come back. no activities at all for the kids. Clearly, this hotel cant cope with the big crowd that they were having during that period. I suggest either they hire more staff or dont accept too many guests. Theres no hospitality at all. Such a disappointment from a famous chain of hotels. Never will I stay in this hotel anymore. The standard has clearly dropped so low.

• Stayed February 2013
ResortBatam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Batam, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear guest, thanks for choosing our hotel and for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. Please be assured that this has been discussed already with the team. Obviously Chinese New Year is high season which you might also have experienced already when leaving Singapore ferry terminal. I was also quite surprised to read your comments about our food. Especially since we have changed our menus we are receiving constantly positive feedback regarding the new dishes. Once again thank you very much for your feedback.

387 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I thought my holiday was ruined the moment I checked in for my ferry at Harbour Front. It was the Chinese New Year festive break and almost everybody were heading to Batam for the nice long break. The ferry check in took about 1.5hrs in Singapore and upon reaching Batam, there was another long snaking queue......

We were picked up right outside the terminal and sent to the resort, a short drive of about 10-15mins. Checked in and went straight to the room. I must say the room is spacious with a separate dining, living and bed area. No complaints about it as everything was neat, tidy and clean. The only exception was probably the sofa covers were a little old and dirty looking. Well, not a new property but good to have nice clean covers :) Housekeeping also needs to improve on their overall, as they seem to keep missing out on replacing tissues, towels etc and had to call for items to be replaced.

The resort had the usual swimming pool, spa, paintball, karaoke etc. I did not manage to enjoy the mentioned facilities as me and my wife spent most of our 3 days out at the shopping mall. Oh, the resort provides x3 transport runs to and pickup from Nagoya and BCS shopping mall.

I must also comment that the staff were all very friendly and went out of their way to ensure things run well. So thank you for that!

Overall, while the resort was full, it did not feel overly crowded, except for maybe during breakfast timing. Noise level also wasn't a big problem for us during the stay.

Will head back there again but maybe not during the peak timing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest, thanks for this wonderful feedback which we are glad to share with the team. We are glad that you could relax after your "long" journey from Singapore. Perhaps when you come the next time you also can enjoy our facilities - especially the famous Tea Tree Spa - so that you can relax even more. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in our Holiday Inn Resort Batam.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Holiday Inn Resort Batam - It's a very large property in the midst of a renovation. I suggest that one take advantage of every amenity, the tea tree spa, the sports bar,the shuttle to Nagoya, the excellent pool outside, the fantastic buffet breakfast. I highly recommend this property to my best friends and associates for business and pleasure. Absolutely wonderful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
ResortBatam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Batam, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear guest, thanks for choosing our resort during your recent visit in Batam and the great feedback which we are glad to share with our team. We are also happy to hear that our Tea Tree Spa service, the restaurant and the pool met your expectations and has contributed to your relaxed stay. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

In fact, this was the first time for me and my hubby visiting Batam. We decided to hunt for a neat and affordable 2D1N package to Batam as a quick weekend getaway. Thus, after much exploring around the travel webbies, we choose Holiday Inn Batam since I read largely positive reviews on Tripadvisor. The trip from Singapore to Batam was rather fast, an hour or so.

When we stepped out from the immigration at Waterfront Terminal, a friendly guide asked if we were going to Holiday Inn. We were promptly taken to our hotel without much waiting time.

Once we arrived at the hotel, we were given a refreshing pineapple welcome drink. It was really good especially after all the travelling.

The concierge were friendly and prompt in checking us in. All the processes including booking of the return ferry tickets were really smooth. We managed to confirm our return tickets for the next day.

Upon arrival to hotel to getting to our room took about 15 mins. We booked a one bedroom suite and we were pleasantly surprised at the big layout.

There was a master bedroom with a bathroom attached and a spacious hall with a TV and cushion sofas. A balcony right outside with a table and chairs. There was another room with 2 singles beds. We loved the space we had. It was just like an apartment. The queen sized bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept on. You can be promised of a good night sleep.
The bathrooms were clean but smelled a bit musky. The TV had plenty of channels to choose from, something you will need because the hotel is rather quiet and not much to do around it except swim and maybe check out the spa. I did not go to the spa though, but it looked a little run down. but I have heard great reviews about it, so you can try if you ever visited this resort. The downside to TV is that the next day when it rained really hard for like alomst 3 hours, the channels kept getting disrupted. We had to wait 5 mins to 10 mins before you can view the channel again. It can be frustrating.

Okay so coming back to the first day at the hotel, an hour after chekcing into the room, we decided to go for a swim since the weather was great. We checked out the indoor swimming pool and realised only the two of us were at the pool.

Later, we walked over to the outdoor pool which was obviously more crowded. I personally preferred the indoor swimming pool. It was tucked at one end of the hotel and more quiet.

As for our lunch, we were decided to dine at the hotel since we were left with only an hour to go to Nagoya Hill Shopping Centre. We went to Terrace Cafe and it once again we were the only ones. Maybe we lunched too late around 4pm I guess. Their menu had different cuisines. We chose to stick with their traditional Indo cuisine. I chose their famous Ayam Penyet and my hubby chose Fried Rice. The portions were rather small and the chicken was very bland. The food was pricey too. We paid around SGD$30 for our two dishes alone without any drinks.

After lunch, we took the hotel transport to Nagoya Hills Shopping Centre. The journey took around 50mins which we did not expect. I then found that the shopping area is kinda far away from the hotel itself, but the good point is that the hotel lies 5 mins away from the ferry terminal. You could just walk over if you wanted.

Nagoya Shopping Hills was kinda boring. The only joint we could relate to almost immediately was JCO donuts. You cannot find big brands here. Most of the shops carry very cheap stuff and fake branded goods. The food joints are mostly their own franchises. We did have coffee and some toast which cost us $5. We did not buy anything as we could find the same stuff at better price and quality in Singapore. We only bought some bottled water from their Hypermart while being there. We had dinner at A&W, something we cannot find in Singapore. We went crazy over their root beer float! It was too good even after all these years.

The second day at the hotel, the buffet spread for breakfast was pretty amazing. We had many varieties to choose from. And the chefs kept topping up the trays of food once it runs out.

We checked out at 2pm and were taken to the ferry terminal by hotel transport. We were glad we did not have to spend a cent on transport which saved our pockets extra money for a magnum at the ferry terminal. Lol.

Overall, I would say that you could only stay 2days and 1night and not more than that cos you can be bored. And the shopping places are far away from the hotel. But if you want some quiet ambience and better quality, i would strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest, thanks for this wonderful and very detailed feedback which we are glad to share with the team. As you mentioned although we are not located in the city centre a lot of guests are commending the resort feeling while staying with us. We are pleased that you also experienced our bedding concept which is one of the hallmarks from Holiday Inn. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in our Holiday Inn Resort Batam.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

a nice value for money place to laze by the poolside. if u are looking for a hotel with a sandy beachfront, this is not the one

hotel is located in a corner of the island. in case u are bored, hotel has free shuttle to nagoya hill for some shopping and massage. wish they have more shuttle trips on the weekdays

breakfast is good! food in hotel restaurant is expensive by batam standard

room is simply great, couldn't have ask for more (at the price i am paying). room is spacious, bed is comfortable (slumberland).......sofa looks a bit aged........... notice that part of the hotel is under renovation, i supposed the newly renovated rooms will be even better. although hotel is old, it's well maintained

cheers...........

Room Tip: ask for smoking room which is on the higher floor and rooms facing the pool
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ResortBatam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Batam, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear guest, thanks for choosing our hotel during your visit to Batam and the time you took to give us you valuable feedback. Although you might have expected a beach we are pleased with your comments regarding our services, especially the room size and bed comfort. Please be assured that your comments have been shared already with the team. Once again thank you very much for being patron of our Holiday Inn Resort Batam.

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The first time I stayed here was in 2007 and since then I didn't even look at other hotels in Batam. I've been coming back to Holiday Inn Batam every year for a spa getaway and last year was the most frequent. 3 times!

I have tried other spa but nothing could beat Tea Tree Spa here. Engaging the same spa therapist a few times, made the getaway more comfortable and meaningful. Like coming back to meet a friend, as we share updates. Although I miss the refreshing towels upon arrival at the Balinese-inspired spa. It's just a little something for ua to freshen up.

Besides the spa, the rooms are spacious even the 1 bedroom suite. The bed and pillows are comfortable but I realise the pillow menu is missing. Something which I thought was unique during the first couple of years I was there.

Service staff are amazing....from frontdesk staff, spa therapists, concierge, restaurant staff. To be greeted Welcome Back and Welcome Home by a few staff, makes me feel really at home.

Breakfast spread - I recalled there was more variety in the past and there used to be a wide selection of tea. I am not a huge eater so this was not a major concern for me. It is getting crowded recently (good business for the hotel, but I miss the quiet breakfast I used to have) so do get up early to get a good seat!

Scheduled shuttle service is provided to Nagoya which is great as taking a taxi would cost about S$14 one way. If you are not a shopper and simply want a spa getaway like me, this would be an excellent choice. Otherwise, opt for hotels in Nagoya.

To be recognised as a Priority Club Member upon check-in (with some perks) in my last 2 visits was also something welcoming.

Room Tip: I prefer top floors. I don't really like the first floor facing the pool due to noise level of g...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
ResortBatam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Batam, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear guest, thanks for choosing our resort during all your visits in Batam and the wonderful feedback which we are glad to share with our team. We hope the next time you come you will find time again to take advantage of all our services which our Tea Tree Spa is offering. Here we are working on several new promotions to come out soon. Thank you also for sharing your thoughts about the towels, the breakfast and the pillow menu. We hope to welcome you back as one of our regular Priority Club members very soon.

Semarang, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed at Holiday Inn Resort Batam for 2 nights in a 2-bedroom suite. Upon check-in to the rooms, I was pleasantly surprised that it is more like a mini apartment rather than a hotel room. The room consists of a living room with sofas, a dining area, a balcony and two bedrooms. It is really spacious for 3 adults occupancy. I like that the rooms are spacious and clean. However, the curtains can get a little dusty so I thought it will be good if they change or clean it regularly.

The hotel is located near Waterfront Ferry Terminal, which is approximately 10 minutes away by car. However, if your main purpose is to go to the city center for shopping or entertainments then it will be a little far and not convenient for you as city centre is approximately half an hour away.

Holiday Inn Batam has several inhouse restaurant. Tried the Terrace Cafe for buffet breakfast and Dragon Inn Chinese Restaurant for dinner. The buffet spread was good and the food there was really sumptuous as compared to some other hotels that I have stayed in the area. There is also a convenience store located at the resort lobby.

Plenty of facilities in the resort ranging from swimming pool, ktv lounge, bar with pool table, games room, gym and spa. Tried the swimming pool which was really huge and great for a weekend relaxation.

Staffs were also friendly, accommodating and attentive. They are efficient as well when I called up the Front Desk to ask for bedroom slippers which are not available in the room. Slippers are delivered promptly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear guest, thanks for this wonderful feedback which we are glad to share with the team. As you mentioned although we are not located in the city center a lot of guests are commending the resort feeling while staying with us. We are pleased that you also experienced our comprehensive Food & Beverage options. Thank you as well for sharing the comment regarding the curtains. Currently we are in the process to replace them. We are apologizing for the inconveniences this may have caused. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in our Holiday Inn Resort Batam.

Frank Schoenherr

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Batam? Share your experiences!