“Great cake, great service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 shopping in Batam
Type: Specialty Shops
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: 'Layers Batam' layer cake is proudly made from carefully selected finest local and imported ingredients solely to satisfy your taste buds. Our 'Lamoist'kue lapis is different from kueh lapis from other part of Indonesia which usually has a hint of 'spekoek spice'. It is unique, with pure Australian butter as the main ingredient to form the rich moist layers, baked layer by layer to perfection, the LAMOIST way.Quick Note : 5 June 2013Be alert that there are Lamoist and Traditional grade of Layers kue lapis, which can be easily identified by its box and top print. Please check out our website for more details.For delivery orders during weekends, we would recommend you pay in full, so there's no need for you to wait in the hotel lobby since the delivery guy and the sales is different guy, and will not recognize you. We would usually pass the cakes to the receptionist or concierge, at which you can later pick up at the time of your convenience. We apologize for the tight arrangements.
15 attraction reviews
“Great cake, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Whenever it comes to buying kek lapis, my mom is the pro. Since I was on vacation with my friend, I had to figure out on my own. Turns out the first kek lapis shop we visited was amazing that we ended up buying it. My friend and i bought the original rempah flavoured. I love how it isn't oily and the smell is fragrant. When i got home my mum told me that it smells and tastes wonderful. The price is affordable! We bought ours at Nagoya Hill. The girl who sold it to us was nice too.

Visited May 2013
LAMOIST, Manager at Layers Batam, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Hi-

I am delighted that you were able to enjoy your Layers kue lapis. Thank you for your kind comments on our cakes and service. I will share this with the team.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback with us and I look forward to see you on your next trip.

Biz Dev manager

singapore
32 attraction reviews
“kueh lapiz has western origins”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

kueh lapiz or the layered cake is one of the signature items in batam and it has become so popular with the tourists,particularly singaporean and malysian, that outlets have sprung up all over the major shopping centres.
our tour guide explained that this cake originated from the Dutch who once ruled indonesia and the layered cake is one of the legacies behind.

this form of cake has since evolved and is now available in many colours and flavours,including the exotic durian.

the pricing of this cake ranges from SGD15-25. The difference in the price is mainly due to the ingredients like butter(or margarine) flavouring and preservatives.the pure kueh lapiz using butter and no presrvativatives will not last more than 14 days whereas the cheaper cake with preservatives can last up to a month.many bakers also supply to order to ensure total freshness.the baking process is very painstaking and labour intensive to turn out perfect kueh lapis. the layers are clearly visible once the cake is cut into small slices and each layer can be peeled ,if you so wish.

many tourists returning to singapore generally buy this cake.

Visited March 2013
LAMOIST, Manager at Layers Batam, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Hi,

I would like to thank you for your extensive comments on Kue Lapis :-) Kue lapis is indeed one of the lagacies left behind by the Dutch during their 3.5 centuries time in Indonesia. The traditional one is called SPEKOEK, made with butter and cinnamon and some other herbs. Layers showcase has both the Traditional ones and the Lamoist premium range.

To top up, the non preservatives ones usually last 6-7 days at room temperature, and about two weeks when stored in the fridge. Anything more than that is a question mark.

Thank you everyone !!

Lamoist Layers Batam
“Very tasty and moist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I went to the Kueh Lapis bakery that the tour brought us. Tried the various flavours but found that they were nothing fantastic. In fact they were a little dry and not that tasty, even the full butter one was not rich enough. So I did not bother to order.

in the evening, after I checked into the hotel, i went to BCS Mall to do some shopping. Came across Layers, and tried some of the sample. They were fantastic, and much more tasty than those I have tried at the previous bakery. It was also cheaper. The original with rempah was 120,000 and the full butter one was 160,000. I couldn't decide which one to buy and eventually decided on the full butter one. No regret, except maybe I should also get the rempah one.

The Lady in the shop, Li Li was very friendly. She even introduced a taxi driver to me. Very safe, reliable and prompt guy, and he charges very reasonably. Much cheaper than I expected. Only downside is that his car is quite beat-up. But aircon still working fine, and trip were comfortable. So if you are there, you can ask her for the contact, or you can pm me if you like.

I will definitely go back to buy the Kueh Lapis from Layers again whenever I go back to Batam.

Visited January 2013
LAMOIST, Manager at Layers Batam, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Raymond,

Thanks for the review. Our Lamoist cakes have rich and moist taste because we really use Golden Churn Butter in the cake !! We are the only bakery in Batam which was granted appreciation certificate by Ballantyne Australia (Golden Churn Manufacturer). See the link below:

The other reason why Layers can maintain best quality with such reasonable price is because we own and sell the cakes directly to customers, without any middle man.

Well, Thanks a bunch for your enthusiasm. Li li would be thrilled to learn this. Have a great day !!

Cheers,
“Nice and fresh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I tasted the kueh lapis before when a collegue visited Batam, and decided to bring some home. My mom and hubby love it so much, and finished the full sized cake in 2 days. The lmoist really taste good, and is different from the one we have here. I remember the sales girl told me its because of the golden butter. Although it is slightly more expensive from the traditional ones, it really worth.
I tasted few kueh lapis around the Nagoya Foodstreet, there are one big bakery selling bread and cakes, but their lapis is too oily, so I moved on to the other one near Pizza Hut, it was too dry. Arrrrrrrrr.There are about 3 shops selling lapis at the center of foodstreet. The cake feels fresh, maybe that's the reason it tastes good :-)

Visited October 2012
Spore
3 attraction reviews
“One of the best layer cakes i've ever tried”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

This shop is my favourite since 2009. I used to buy the original lamoist layer cakes for my boyfriend's parents. They love it so much, and it has become a ritual whenever i visit batam for my spa trip. The kue lapis has really nice butter smell, but minus the oiliness. Some of my friends love the traditional one, but i just can't leave the habit. Now I only get the special gold grade kueh lapis, priced at approx sgd50, which is worthy. I think it can only be preordered. Well- I'll say it dwarfs all. You can only say you have tried real Indonesia kue lapis when you tried this. Now I totally stop buying kueh lapis in Singapore :-) Unfortunately they only give out the tester during festive seasons.

Greatly recommended.- becareful of the surounding shops that sell similar kue with big writings.

Visited December 2011
LAMOIST, Manager at Layers Batam, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Ms Lee,

Thank you very much. We are glad you love our cakes. Your review will be made known to everyone to let them know that their hard-work is loved by our customers. Our gold grade layer cakes will still be available only during festive season, unless there are pre-ordered. We will maintain the quality of cakes and service.

Have a great day