“Beware the Spa's "ear candling" scam” 1 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The BCC Hotel & Residence to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
The BCC Hotel & Residence
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Bunga Mawar, Riau Islands Province 29444, Indonesia   |
Ranked #12 of 69 hotels in Batam
Singapore, Singapore
“Beware the Spa's "ear candling" scam”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Overall, this hotel has two pros - nice/spacious rooms and location close to a shopping center & food court. However, some negative experiences made this a wholly disappointing experience. In particular, we would like to warn future patrons of the spa, and a scam run by their therapists. We will not be returning.

We booked a hotel transfer from the ferry terminal, but no one from the hotel showed up; no apology was offered when the hotel was informed, with the staff choosing to pretend we had never mentioned it.

The worst experience was with the spa. My wife and I booked a 75 min in-room spa package. The therapists arrived late, and one of them kept burping during the massage which I found unprofessional, if not disgusting. Halfway through the massage, we were led to think that there was a ear candling portion included in the massage. We clarified with the therapists twice who assured us it was part of the 75 min package before allowing them to proceed.
The massages including the ear candling ended after 70 minutes. For payment, the therapists demanded an extra '50' for the car candling. When we told them that they had informed us it was included in the massage, they denied it. I then told them that they had only taken 70 minutes for the 75 minute massage and ADDITIONAL ear candling, to which one of the therapist took offense. This same therapist sat on our bed and refused to leave. I called the spa to try to resolve the matter, but a lady insisted that I had to pay for the ear candling. I decided to pay the therapists, but when I handed them 50,000 rupiah, they demanded S$50 instead; to understand the audacity of the demand, our entire massage for two cost about S$60. Upset, I called the spa again and was given a discount, though this still meant that I paid more than was advertised for the massage, and did not get the full 75 minutes that was promised. In the end, I paid a discounted price for a less than 75 min massage, as well as 50,000 for car candling which I was conned into thinking was part of the package. I may not be as aggrieved if the massage was good, but it was mediocre at best. To triangulate my story with that of a friend staying in another room, his massage also took about 15 mins less than the stated time. A wholly distressing and disappointing experience.

Later that evening, we requested two fresh towels from room service, as we used the only two towels that were provided in the toilet for the massage session. The replacements only came after almost 2 hours and several calls. The staff who eventually came was apologetic though.

Overall, a disappointing experience. The spa is not worth the effort, and I would like to warn future patrons about the scam that we were victims of.

Room Tip: Room 1211 was located directly outside the lift lobby. Higher floors would likely experience less no...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

172 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We had a pleasant surprise as we entered the deluxe hotel room. Its one of the best hotel rooms we have stayed.

Basic amenities are there, view is great as we stayed on 16th floor. Air con was cold & able to adjust the temp via thermostat.
Hotel was near to foodcourt which serves great food btw & near to BCS & plaza top100 mall. Sadika spa massage service is near plaza top 100 too. Offers great & cheap massage services.

But!! Tv reception was bad though the variety of channels are good. Reception didnt inform us we need to tap on our room card in the lift to press the floor number.

Overall its a nice hotel with good location.

• Stayed December 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Went over during the weekends. Bought the voucher in deals. Paid around $100/- including ferry and hotel and a day tour. We checked in around 6pm due to the day tour. We bought the vouchers that comes with free upgrade to the 2 bedroom apartment, but after reading the reviews here, it seems like the hotel rooms were better. So when we were about to check in at the reception, we told the staff the we would like to change to the normal rooms instead. And he agreed. My room was 2012, and my friend's room was 2019. I was lucky, i choose the room 2012. The lift only allow us to have the access to the room level of our room. We are not allow to go to other levels other than the swimming poo. When i first stepped in my room, i was like....... OMG. It's damn spacious and beautiful. The decoration of the room was awesome ! I got the room that looks exactly like the pictures you see. A big see thru glass to from the bed to the toilet. But, the drain was choked. Water was all over flooding the toilet even out of the bathing cubicle. I loved the rain shower. It was awesome, though the water was cold and hot on and off. The bed is big, and awesome too. But too bad the we cant adjust the air con temperature unless you call to the reception to get someone up to adjust for you. When we leave the hotel for our dinner and shopping, we thought of leaving any card in the card slot for the room key, so that when we are back the room would be cold and cozy. But the card reader only recognize the original room card. As they only provide 1 room card per room. We took the hotel cab to Nagoya Hill Shopping Centre to have A&W bought a few snacks and drinks, shop alittle and went back to the hotel.

Had to say this, we went to one of this massage centre near the our hotel. It located directly opposite the first factory outlet. The massage centre signboard is in orange or red I cant remember. But the massage service was good, but the ladies there were rude. They were hinting for tips, me and my friend ignore them. But overall, I loved the hotel !

Room Tip: Go for a deluxe room. Thats the one with the glass see thru toilet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

It was our 1st stay in Batam and we wanted to book 3 rooms for our group on the same floor. Hence I wrote in to the hotel itself even though the price wasn’t much different from the booking websites, but ended up booking through one of them as there wasn’t any reply from the hotel, even till today.
The reception staffs on duty were pleasant and helpful. We were given free upgrade to the Premier room on the 18th floor while the other 2 deluxe rooms were on the 20th floor. So do take note that being upgraded doesn’t necessarily mean a higher floor.
From our cozy, spacious & modernly done up room, we had a good view of the BATAM city, with the BCS Mall on our right & a glimpse of the faraway sea on our left. Yes, we love the hotel rooms though breakfast is so-so with limited choices.
The hotel is located in a good location; with BCS Mall, Top Plaza {it has a supermarket where you can buy your daily grocery supplies at a relatively cheap price}, A2 Food Court {which opens at night and serves good food, though some of the food had turn cold by the time it arrived at our table} and local market {you can buy salted fish, dried prawns & chilli padi} within walking distance. Security is tight here as you need to scan your room access card to reach your floor; however it might pose a problem for big groups staying on different levels should you wish to visit each other’s room.
I only wish the lift could be faster as it takes ages to wait for the lift. Other than this, I would recommend staying in this hotel for a good short getaway.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

The location is really good for a short family outing as it is just next to A2 food court & BCS Shopping Centre, within 5 mins of walking distance. However, the 3 room apartment I checked into was only rather basic. A few things was noted, 1. The floor was not well cleaned, still can feel the dirt & dust; 2. one of the living room's light was blown; 3. one of the windows in one of the 3 rooms cannot be closed and that is super dangerous for young kids; 4. Missing TV control in the master bedroom; 5. No hair dryer and cutleries. I managed to get the them to resolve 2 & 3 quite quickly, within 30 mins. 1. was resolved the next day after the housekeeping came. However, 4 never came despite I requested for it twice and we did not bother asking for 5. However, we all love the beds, very comfortable but we can't figured out the air con control, hence it became too cold in the night. The toilet is rather noisy but the noise level is much reduced after closing the doors and the funny thing is only 1out of the 3 rooms have nite light.

The breakfast spread is so so, but good enough to fill everyone for the morning. Love the Nasi Lemak served on the 1st day but not there on the 2nd day. If you have young kids, could probably occupied them with the arcade games and bumper car on the 3rd floor on the shopping mall.

Room Tip: The apartments are between the 2nd and 5th floor, hence if u wanna have a good view like what review...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Hotel is conveniently located next to A2 food court that offer delicious seafood/local food at local price! A stone throw to BCS mall which have so many things to shop for... Hotel spa is fully booked so got to book early! Overall Good stay as compared to my last trip at pacific palace hotel.

• Stayed December 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This is the first review I'm typing on tripadvisor, and I'm living up to the common belief that people talk about things things are terrible more than they talk about things that are great.

We were travelling as a group of 3 couples, and we were excited to book the 3 bedroom apartment in BCC, and we were extra excited because of the great reviews. First things first, when the booking was done online, my friend who booked it got the paypal receipt, but no official receipt, or statement from the hotel. Naturally, that was cause for concern, so she emailed the hotel to check if it was confirmed. She received a reply on the same day (what amazing service) allaying her concerns, saying that everything was booked. She also checked a bit about transfers, and was replied to fairly promptly. (Note: This was three weeks prior to our actual arrival date.)

-skipping ahead to travel date-

WTF NO. 1
---------------
When we got to the hotel at 2:30pm (check-in was officially at 2, but we didn't want to rush), while waiting in line to check in, my friend got a call from the hotel, informing her that they were out of the three bedroom apartments. We informed the person(MR. M) that we were outside, and would he please come out and speak to us.

MR M came out and told us that there had been a mix-up in the bookings, and that they had no 3 bedroom apartment to give us. He said that the system had failed, and they had only gotten the booking notification the previous day. However, my friend still had the emails that were sent to her, and strangely enough, MR M, was the SAME PERSON who had sent her the emails.

Naturally, we were upset. The highlight of the trip was that we would all be staying together, andimmediately, that ceased to be a possibility. We asked MR M what he could do, and his suggestion (in the most condescending, fine, i'll do you a favour tone) was that he could give us a 2 bedroom apartment, then put an extra bed in there.

Two things were wrong with that scenario. One - that was a total of 5 sleeping spaces. Two - we would have to share rooms during a holiday. Both of these were ridiculous. After some back and forth (about 30 minutes, during which we were the focal point of the lobby), he gave us rooms next to each other. Not ideal, but we were tired, and just wanted to rest.

WTF NO. 2
---------------
After lunch, my friend and I decided to go down to the pool to have a drink, We had brought out own alcohol, but we didn't know if it would be allowed, so we decided to check. At the towel counter, there was a sign that said "CORKAGE CHARGE - RP 35000". But when we checked with the attendant if we could bring our own bottles, he said that it was fine as long as we were hotel guests, which was a delight. So we went up and everyone got changed and came down. We got to the pool at 5:15pm, and when we got there, the same attendant told us the pool was closing at 6pm for a private event. Why he didnt say anything the first time around will forever remain a mystery. But we figured 45 minutes is better than none. After about 20 minutes, a lady came up to us and said there would be a corkage charge, and naturally we told her that we were told there would not be a charge. After some back and forth, she sent another guy over to tell us there would be a charge. So although we were upset, we still were okay with paying for it because RP35000 is a fairly nominal charge. However, when we left the pool, we were presented with a bill of over five hundred thousand RP. When we pointed to the sign that said RP 35000, she told us that the sign was the corkage price for food.

There is NO SUCH THING as CORKAGE for FOOD. Also, seeing we were in the pool, we barely drank anything, and we were there for a grand total of 35 minutes, so we refused to pay that charge.

WTF NO 3
--------------

Prior to the pool incident, we had ordered room service (the food was unappetising, but that really didn't surprise any of us). So when we checked out, we of course wanted to pay for that. So when we were were checking out the next day, we were surprised when the staff (a different person from the check in) told us there was nothing to pay. My friend enquired about the room service, and how come we didn't have to pay for that, and he said there was nothing to pay. At this point, we assumed that the hotel had realised how truly dreadful their service had been, and gave us the room service complimentary.

WE THOUGHT WRONG.

When we were at the ferry terminal, we see MR M, accompanied by a local policeman, holding out bill, and pretty much accusing us of running away without paying. Frustrated beyond reason, and once again, the focal point, this time of our fellow ferry takers, we paid up, and GLADLY left that place.

In all honesty, I have to say the room was pretty nice, and the location was next to a mall, which was convenient. But these things do not help when you feel like crying and/or committing murder within the first 5 minutes of the hotel experience. I cannot, under any circumstance, rate this hotel higher than a 1 in any category. I travel quite a bit, and this is the single worst experience of my life.

I urge you not to patronise this hotel. I expect to see my five friends follow suit with this tale of horror as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The BCC Hotel & Residence? Share your experiences!