“Hotel/spa system bad!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Save Saved
You added The BCC Hotel & Residence to your Saves list
The BCC Hotel & Residence
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Bunga Mawar, Riau Islands Province 29444, Indonesia   |
Ranked #12 of 72 Hotels in Batam
“Hotel/spa system bad!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My hubby n I checked in on 4th Nov 12 n check out on 5th Nov 12. The drain in the toilet was choked. When we check out, we were accused of using the spa services which we didn't so we inform the front counter that we didn't use but the male front counter staff didn't believe and replied" Is it?" I think there isn't a system in the hotel/spa even if some cheap skates quoted our room number to use the service, they should also check their names.... In the end, they realise their mistake but never apologise at all. Really ruined our anniversary celebration mood....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Indonesian first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Love the hotel! It was my first trip to Batam and this hotel came recommended by a friend. Big, spacious and overlooking the city of Batam. Had no problems with checking in and out. I prefer to take the hotel cab which is slightly pricier but definitely a lot more comfortable and cushier than the cabs hailed from the streets. The children had a pretty good time at the pool but as we went on over a weekend, the hotel was pretty crowded.

Next to the hotel was a mall, while nothing much to shop or look at, it does provide an avenue to buy some munchies at the supermarket. Right below the hotel was an open air food centre which sells fantastic food and the hawkers are friendly.

Traffic is pretty horrendous and you basically run across the road as and when possible.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Big, clean and Spacious new hotel located near the BCS shopping mall which has supermart, fast food and whatsoever. Right behind the hotel is an open concept "A2" food center with loads of food choices. Note that the food center is only open at night.

However, for those who fancy beaches or love to have their short trip spent in the water, this hotel may not be adequent. Location wise, it is a 15min ride from the ferry center and sea.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Batam - love it or hate it. I haven't been back for many years so Batam seems a little foreign to me. Not interested in gimmicky deals with free lunch and tour thrown in, my friend and I opted for free and easy instead. Based on the reviews of BCC, I thought this would suit my taste as I generally prefer newer hotels.

It was the Hari Raya Haji holiday hence early check in was not available. No problem. We left our bags at concierge and proceeded to the BCS mall next door. Turn left as you leave the hotel, it's probably about  2 minutes walk. BCS mall isn't a typical Singaporean's cup of tea. Levels after levels of fake branded bags, a few restaurants including Ayam Penyet Ria, KFC, BFC (probably a KFC wannabe!), spa, supermarket, local clothing stores, a couple of bakeries and a coffee joint. Nothing struck our fancy so we crossed the road to a Singapore-style non-air con coffee shop and had a quick bite of nasi campur and ayam penyet.

After check-in at BCC hotel, we rang Spa Secret for an appointment (see separate review on this). Our deluxe room was on the 19th floor, quite a lovely view of the harbour on the left, could even make out Marina Bay Sands on the horizon. Awesome. We were more than happy with the modcons. The bathroom was also spacious however the shower faucets were a tad confusing- you have a choice of rain shower, hand-held shower and a normal tap. At one turn of the tap, both hand-held shower and the tap spouted water so I gave up and left them be. The safe wasn't working, we kept having " batt-L " flashing on the small screen. I figured it could mean low battery.

When we returned at midnight, the water heater didn't work and so did the wifi. No fun taking cold showers.

As for the lift, which was always slow, we had a bit of a scare coming down for breakfast. Breakfast hours are from 6-10am. At about 9.30am, with the lift loaded with people, there was a sudden jolt as the lift stopped at lobby level. The doors wouldn't open and someone pressed the buttons but nothing happened. I started thinking I would miss breakfast, haha. Thank God it was just a couple of minutes before the doors opened. As I recall, there were a few panicked faces there.

Breakfast time! Okay, where do I start?
At first they wanted to seat us at the makeshift tables at the lobby which we refused (aren't we a bunch of trouble?) We didn't mind sharing a table as long as we get to sit in the restaurant. I was just a little surprised the restaurant was crowded towards the end of breakfast hours, I wasn't expecting so many people queuing up for omelette at the egg station. I know some people have commented on the quality of food here but I would say it's passable. Neither good nor bad, somewhere in between. The usual buffet spread  on offer -  salads, fried noodles, fried rice, variety of breads and traditional kueh, porridge, cereals, fruits. The pineapples were delicious though, and they didn't even top them up. What a pity. Aside from diluted fruit juices like guava, apple and orange, there's coffee and tea. Oh, I must mentioned the hashbrowns were so crispy and yummy, I reckon the Indonesians are great at fried stuff.

From our room, we had this view of Top 100 Plaza. A quick google confirmed it's a small mall but big on local snacks. Turn right when you leave the hotel and cross a busy road to get to this mall. We headed straight to the supermarket and snacks galore awaits you. We oohed and aahed at the prices of stuff which were a fraction  back home. Happy to stock up on shampoo, conditioner, beauty products and snacks. Mission accomplished. Now if only roads were easier to cross.  Be careful when crossing roads to get back to hotel, cars zoom faster than you think.

I didn't have time to swim at the pool, had a look around it though, nice fully equipped gym overlooking the pool, children's pool, sauna, showers, spa next to sauna, quite the package. Didn't have time to visit A2 food court either due to so many choices out there.

Would I stay at BCC hotel again? Let me think about it....

• Stayed October 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Details
Date: 11 Oct 2012 - 14 Oct 2012 (3 Nights)
Paid: SGD$282
Stayed: 10th Floor, Deluxe Room (Facing Singapore)

My second stay at the hotel in 6 months. Decided to come back here due to the good experience earlier in the year. My earlier review is still valid but I do need to highlight a few areas for improvement:

1) Had to wait close to haf an hour to check-in even though we already reached an hour after the stipulated check in time.

2) Housekeeping needs some work. There would be some amenities which were not topped up i.e. toilet paper being probably the most essential and shower foam the next. Bathroom towel was also missing one of the days after housekeeping was done. We immediately reflected this to the counter staff to prevent any misunderstanding. We also reflected a faulty bathroom light but it was not fixed even till the day we checked out.

I would have rated it 5/5 but because the service standard dropped since my last visit, I have to be fair and drop the rating as well. Still 4/5 isn't too shabby. I still like it for it's proximity to
food and shopping. Will I come back? Yes, but I hope they work to improve their housekeeping and maintenance team.

Room Tip: As per previous trip, go as high as possible and request for a room which faces Singapore for a good...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

New hotel with terrible service, we came to this hotel coz we saw the review is great
When we reach there, all seems to be fine and nice. When we reach the room, the room was ok but the water heater didn't work, and no hand towel, we fine with that. The trouble came when we check out the receptionist said we took the hand towel is so humilliating for us, they didn't put the hand towel and juz accuse that we took the the hand towel, next time they need to check the room before they hand over to the guest.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

This is the the first time I went to BCC hotel. Me & my bf went there to have a mini celebration for my b'day. We booked the Premier Suite on the 18th floor and stayed for 3 days 2 nights.

Room was clean, quiet and the view was not bad (facing land houses). The toilet is spacious and there is also a bathtub. They have a variety of tv channels (HBO Signature, Chinese movies, Fox, Fox movies, National Geographic, TLC, Mediacorp chn 5 & 8, etc) and they are using Samsung tv. We ordered room service twice. The food was quite nice. My bf like their caesar salad so much that he ordered it twice. Do take note that there is an extra service charge of around 20%-25%.

Within the hotel, there is a swimming pool, heated mini pool, gym as well as spa. You could order some food & drinks as there is a counter for ordering.

Nearby the hotel, there is a ATM machine where you can withdraw $$$ out if your card has "cirrus" and BCS mall is also nearby. There is also a A2 foodcourt next to the hotel, it is similar to Singapore hawker centers. We ordered salad prawns at A2 for only SGD5! =D If you need to buy snacks or drinks, there is a supermarket inside BCS mall.

For breakfast buffet, some reviews I read were not good. However, in my opinion, the food is alright. Not a lot of variety, but it's really not too bad. Some mentioned that the eggs were not well-cooked, but so far, they were well-cooked for me & my bf. =))

In summary, this is a nice hotel and I don't mind coming back for a second time.

PS. The nearest ferry terminal is at Harbour Bay but you can also choose to stop at Batam Center.

Room Tip: Choose the premier room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The BCC Hotel & Residence? Share your experiences!