“Good or bad hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The BCC Hotel & Residence

You added The BCC Hotel & Residence to your Saves list
The BCC Hotel & Residence
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Bunga Mawar, Riau Islands Province 29444, Indonesia   |
Ranked #22 of 75 Hotels in Batam
“Good or bad hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Big, clean and Spacious new hotel located near the BCS shopping mall which has supermart, fast food and whatsoever. Right behind the hotel is an open concept "A2" food center with loads of food choices. Note that the food center is only open at night.

However, for those who fancy beaches or love to have their short trip spent in the water, this hotel may not be adequent. Location wise, it is a 15min ride from the ferry center and sea.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Indonesian first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Batam - love it or hate it. I haven't been back for many years so Batam seems a little foreign to me. Not interested in gimmicky deals with free lunch and tour thrown in, my friend and I opted for free and easy instead. Based on the reviews of BCC, I thought this would suit my taste as I generally prefer newer hotels.

It was the Hari Raya Haji holiday hence early check in was not available. No problem. We left our bags at concierge and proceeded to the BCS mall next door. Turn left as you leave the hotel, it's probably about  2 minutes walk. BCS mall isn't a typical Singaporean's cup of tea. Levels after levels of fake branded bags, a few restaurants including Ayam Penyet Ria, KFC, BFC (probably a KFC wannabe!), spa, supermarket, local clothing stores, a couple of bakeries and a coffee joint. Nothing struck our fancy so we crossed the road to a Singapore-style non-air con coffee shop and had a quick bite of nasi campur and ayam penyet.

After check-in at BCC hotel, we rang Spa Secret for an appointment (see separate review on this). Our deluxe room was on the 19th floor, quite a lovely view of the harbour on the left, could even make out Marina Bay Sands on the horizon. Awesome. We were more than happy with the modcons. The bathroom was also spacious however the shower faucets were a tad confusing- you have a choice of rain shower, hand-held shower and a normal tap. At one turn of the tap, both hand-held shower and the tap spouted water so I gave up and left them be. The safe wasn't working, we kept having " batt-L " flashing on the small screen. I figured it could mean low battery.

When we returned at midnight, the water heater didn't work and so did the wifi. No fun taking cold showers.

As for the lift, which was always slow, we had a bit of a scare coming down for breakfast. Breakfast hours are from 6-10am. At about 9.30am, with the lift loaded with people, there was a sudden jolt as the lift stopped at lobby level. The doors wouldn't open and someone pressed the buttons but nothing happened. I started thinking I would miss breakfast, haha. Thank God it was just a couple of minutes before the doors opened. As I recall, there were a few panicked faces there.

Breakfast time! Okay, where do I start?
At first they wanted to seat us at the makeshift tables at the lobby which we refused (aren't we a bunch of trouble?) We didn't mind sharing a table as long as we get to sit in the restaurant. I was just a little surprised the restaurant was crowded towards the end of breakfast hours, I wasn't expecting so many people queuing up for omelette at the egg station. I know some people have commented on the quality of food here but I would say it's passable. Neither good nor bad, somewhere in between. The usual buffet spread  on offer -  salads, fried noodles, fried rice, variety of breads and traditional kueh, porridge, cereals, fruits. The pineapples were delicious though, and they didn't even top them up. What a pity. Aside from diluted fruit juices like guava, apple and orange, there's coffee and tea. Oh, I must mentioned the hashbrowns were so crispy and yummy, I reckon the Indonesians are great at fried stuff.

From our room, we had this view of Top 100 Plaza. A quick google confirmed it's a small mall but big on local snacks. Turn right when you leave the hotel and cross a busy road to get to this mall. We headed straight to the supermarket and snacks galore awaits you. We oohed and aahed at the prices of stuff which were a fraction  back home. Happy to stock up on shampoo, conditioner, beauty products and snacks. Mission accomplished. Now if only roads were easier to cross.  Be careful when crossing roads to get back to hotel, cars zoom faster than you think.

I didn't have time to swim at the pool, had a look around it though, nice fully equipped gym overlooking the pool, children's pool, sauna, showers, spa next to sauna, quite the package. Didn't have time to visit A2 food court either due to so many choices out there.

Would I stay at BCC hotel again? Let me think about it....

• Stayed October 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Details
Date: 11 Oct 2012 - 14 Oct 2012 (3 Nights)
Paid: SGD$282
Stayed: 10th Floor, Deluxe Room (Facing Singapore)

My second stay at the hotel in 6 months. Decided to come back here due to the good experience earlier in the year. My earlier review is still valid but I do need to highlight a few areas for improvement:

1) Had to wait close to haf an hour to check-in even though we already reached an hour after the stipulated check in time.

2) Housekeeping needs some work. There would be some amenities which were not topped up i.e. toilet paper being probably the most essential and shower foam the next. Bathroom towel was also missing one of the days after housekeeping was done. We immediately reflected this to the counter staff to prevent any misunderstanding. We also reflected a faulty bathroom light but it was not fixed even till the day we checked out.

I would have rated it 5/5 but because the service standard dropped since my last visit, I have to be fair and drop the rating as well. Still 4/5 isn't too shabby. I still like it for it's proximity to
food and shopping. Will I come back? Yes, but I hope they work to improve their housekeeping and maintenance team.

Room Tip: As per previous trip, go as high as possible and request for a room which faces Singapore for a good...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

New hotel with terrible service, we came to this hotel coz we saw the review is great
When we reach there, all seems to be fine and nice. When we reach the room, the room was ok but the water heater didn't work, and no hand towel, we fine with that. The trouble came when we check out the receptionist said we took the hand towel is so humilliating for us, they didn't put the hand towel and juz accuse that we took the the hand towel, next time they need to check the room before they hand over to the guest.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

This is the the first time I went to BCC hotel. Me & my bf went there to have a mini celebration for my b'day. We booked the Premier Suite on the 18th floor and stayed for 3 days 2 nights.

Room was clean, quiet and the view was not bad (facing land houses). The toilet is spacious and there is also a bathtub. They have a variety of tv channels (HBO Signature, Chinese movies, Fox, Fox movies, National Geographic, TLC, Mediacorp chn 5 & 8, etc) and they are using Samsung tv. We ordered room service twice. The food was quite nice. My bf like their caesar salad so much that he ordered it twice. Do take note that there is an extra service charge of around 20%-25%.

Within the hotel, there is a swimming pool, heated mini pool, gym as well as spa. You could order some food & drinks as there is a counter for ordering.

Nearby the hotel, there is a ATM machine where you can withdraw $$$ out if your card has "cirrus" and BCS mall is also nearby. There is also a A2 foodcourt next to the hotel, it is similar to Singapore hawker centers. We ordered salad prawns at A2 for only SGD5! =D If you need to buy snacks or drinks, there is a supermarket inside BCS mall.

For breakfast buffet, some reviews I read were not good. However, in my opinion, the food is alright. Not a lot of variety, but it's really not too bad. Some mentioned that the eggs were not well-cooked, but so far, they were well-cooked for me & my bf. =))

In summary, this is a nice hotel and I don't mind coming back for a second time.

PS. The nearest ferry terminal is at Harbour Bay but you can also choose to stop at Batam Center.

Room Tip: Choose the premier room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed at the Premier room on the 18th floor. It has sweeping view of Nagoya area and can see Singapore on a good clear day. Breakfast is so so. I Hotel breakfast is much better than BCC Hotel. Room is very good and spacious. The toilet in the Premier room are really nice for the price they charged. Staffs are friendly and attentive. The Gym is pretty well equipped and better than I Hotel. However I prefer the pool at I Hotel.

Location is 2nd to none as it is next to BCS Mall. Lots of shopping or restaurants there. It is also near to Eatern Food Court with the excellent fish soup! The hotel is also next to A2 Food Court where you can find affordable and good food at night!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I read a lot about BCC and decide to book BCC. I Checked in on 21 Sept 2012 for 2 night stay with my friends. We are so happy for free upgrade to Premier Suite. Surprise , the suite dont come with bath tub even the room have a living area come with addition writing table with 3 office chairs, a 2 seater sofa with 32 TV. The room look like a office to me.
The room's aircon and bath room light are not working so i request to change room after waited for 30 mins.

The hotel is next to BCS mall and A2 food centre with lot of chinese foods. If you want nice seafood, just go to Windsor Food Court. All the taxi driver will ask you go Golden Prawn seafood. Windsor Food court is much cheaper and cater more to local.
When we returned from our shopping and seafood trip, we are surprise the room card key cant work as we cant access to our room. The friendly staff try to change our keys after he tried so many times. In the end, he give up and bring us to our room.
Breakfast is nothing great and normal. we went to A2 to have our breakfast and the coffee only R4500 which left than 70Cts.
Hotel is near but no facilities like lounge for drinking. We went to Harmoni Hotel lounge for short drink.
Overall, Location is good but i wont come back again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The BCC Hotel & Residence? Share your experiences!