“Chic and Comfortable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Harris Hotel Batam Center

You added Harris Hotel Batam Center to your Saves list
Harris Hotel Batam Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Engku Putri, Riau Islands Province 29641, Indonesia   |
Ranked #2 of 75 Hotels in Batam
“Chic and Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The location's main advantage is that it is near ferry terminal and Mega mall. We like Mega mall for the cheap food and cinema and sufficient shopping. But the main area in Batam is at Nagoya hill. We paid abt IDR50000 (abt SGD $6) to Nagoya hill. There are better food and massage at Nagoya hill. The hotel has nice facilities but the doors are old, cannot lock properly. The staff are polite. There are nice welcome biscuit at the reception area, nice gym facilities and a small pool.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the sea and not Mega mall as it was very noisy during our stay at night till mo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
General Manager H, General Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Valued Guest Ashley N,

Thank you very much for your time and good comment. It has been shared with our team and deeply appreciated by all the HARRIS Batam Center Players.

We are delighted you enjoyed our location, connected our district to Singapore through the Harbour Ferry, at two minutes walking distance of the MegaMall with its numerous entertaining activities.

Regarding the door issue you copied with, i am pleased to inform you our engineering team has been informed about it and already fixed this technical disturbance. On the top of that, i am pleased to informe you we have a maintenance team renovating every two days one of our 170 rooms to guarantee your comfortable stay in our property.

Dear Valued Guest Ashley N, thank you again for your input, all the HARRIS Hotel Batam Centers Players will be more than pleased to welcome you again for your next visit in Batam.

Benjamin Castel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Read so much good things about the hotel, therefore, tried it out over the last weekend. 3D2N 17/5-19/5/2013. Wrote in to request for 1 hr early check-in but was rejected when i reach the hotel at 1pm. The staff said check in time is 2pm and early check in is subject to availability so the reply from them is `NO'.
We booked a double room for 2 pax but the hotel only supply 1 toothbrush, 1 head/body shampoo, 1 shower cap & 2 hand soap. A sticker in the toilet says if you want more toothpaste or have forgotten your shaver, you can purchase a toiletries bag from Harris at Rp35,000
Air-cond leaked a bit when we set temperature below 22 degree.
Worst encounter was that both mornings, around 830-900am, there was a staff rang our doorbell to wake us up from our sleep and ask if we need laundry service. So what if we did not hang the DND sign? I rather they ring my doorbell at 8pm instead of 8am. And if i need laundry service, i'll ring the housekeeping, simple as that.
On the last day, we rang to request for 1 hr late check out, i.e., 1pm instead of 12pm. The reply was a straight `No', our check out time is 12pm, said the staff. Very inflexible on check in & check out. No explaination on whether the hotel is running full house but eventhough, no suggestion of extending half and hr or so. Very disappointing experience.
The good thing is the room is spacious and clean and bright. The pillows were too soft and the bed is medium (i prefer hard). The towels were stained and greyish. The pool is small and nothing to yell about. The hotel is located next to Batam ferry terminal, less than 5 mins walk. Also, it's very closed to Batam Mega Mall. Try the D'COST restuarant at the Mega Mall. Must try the salted egg prawns & crab!
Someone commented the satay stall across the hotel is a must try. It was in fact a nightmare for me. Don't believe what I've said? Go try it out yourself and give me your feedback.
Overall, not a good experience. We had better times staying the older Harris resort at waterfront side. Though it was older, the staff were friendlier and left us better memories. In fact, we had stayed there on at least 3 ocassions. At Harris waterfront, they even arrange a complimentry birthday cake for my son and a group of staff sang the birthday song and present the cake as well as a birthday gift of an orange scarf tied on my son's head.
Frankly, we will not be back. Thanks.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
General Manager H, General Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Valued Guest Leesll,

Thank you for your constructive comment.

I am glad to inform due to your experience in our property deep investigation has been taken to make sure the incident you copied with will not happen again.

Related to your arrival on the 17th, we actually cannot provide any early check in to our guest on the week end period. As you have been informed before your arrival, when we are in full occupancy like on this Friday, we accept check in at 2 pm.
This is the way to guarantee our professionalism through cleaned and neat room to our all our Guests. Thus, I am glad to read your good input once you arrived in one of our 170 rooms.
For the same reason, we cannot accommodate your late check out request , we have to make sure our Housekeeping has sufficient time to prepare the room for the next guest arrival.

Regarding the disturbance which took place in your room, operational actions taken have been done with the related department, it will not happen again.
The Satay experience is appreciated by most of our Guest, nonetheless, due to nationalities and culinary taste it is true the appreciation of spicy or salty dishes can be modified. Our Chef is informed about it.

We are more than glad to read you appreciated your time in our sister Resort Hotel at Waterfront area. Most of our regular Guests experienced both actually. With the same ambiance, our different locations provides different activities, HARRIS Hotel Batam Center being more city hotel close to the MegaMall, HARRIS Resort Waterfront being a Resort with sport and outside activities.

Dear Valued Guest Leesll, thank you again for your review.

" Harrisly Yours"

jtang
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Just spent 2 nights at Harris Hotel with my husband and 2 year old toddler. The staff are helpful and friendly, always putting on a smile and willing to help. Room is very big and clean. Surprizingly, my boy loves the room so much that he was screaming and playing around and we don't even have to think how to entertain him in the room. We had to travel in and out of the hotel to settle his needs, like drinking milk, eating meals and naps and the super short distance from megamall is a very good advantage. Walking to Batam Center or Megamall is less than 5 min. You don't have to cross over from Batam Center if you are heading to Megamall. Just cross the road but beware there is no traffic light and the traffic is quite heavy.

On the down side, I don't understand why we were given only one pair of slippers and one toothbrush. The shampoo provided states hair and body shampoo but I used my own that I bought over. And the road is very uneven. Not only the outside but also after entering the hotel is extremely uneven, thus making it super hard to push stroller around. And the aircond's position only blows cold air along the walkway and table in the room. The bed area is extremely hot. I lower the temp to 18 degrees at night and woke up feeling very hot. The curtains is also too thin. On the first morning, I woke up at 6.45am coz it is too bright! The next morning, I took precaution and placed a pillow on my face so I was able to sleep till much later. I also do not like the design of the room that the toilet's corner is translucent, making it very bright if the toilet light is turned on. We can't use it as a night light as a result.

But as a whole, for this price that I'm paying, its an extremely great hotel that is valuable for the money spent. I would still come back to this hotel if I come to Batam again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
General Manager H, General Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Value Guest Jtang,

Thank you very much for your positive comment after your stay in our " Good Hotel" with your family.
We deeply appreciate your consider HARRIS Hotel Batam Center as good value for money.

For the inconvenience you met in our rooms we are actually fixing the defected A/C system with a daily dedicated maintenance team for all our 171 rooms.
In addition, our room design is actually part of HARRIS identity, we claim to have a vibrant and energetic environment. I will be more than glad to meet you for your next venue in Batam to discuss about this Unique concept, which actually provide a memorable experience to our customer coming in one of our properties in Indonesia.

Dear Value Guest Jtang, thank you again for your comment, we are definitely looking forward for your next stay with us.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights for a short getaway trip. The good thing about the hotel is the convenient location. It is just 2 mins walk away from the batam centre ferry terminal, and the shopping centre, so you don't really have to worry about having to catch a cab or to arrange for a transfer. The hotel room was clean, with all the basic items that you need. The bed was fairly comfortable, and the room that I got (facing the sea) was quite enough for a restful sleep. I forgot my phone charger, but thankfully they have a charging station at the lobby, so that saved me a lot of hassle.

While the location is good, and facilities are okay, the staff here can be a little absent-minded or careless (at least that is my impression). When I checked-in, I was assigned a room that was already occupied. I entered the room that was assigned to me initially, only to realize there was another guest's bags and valuables in the room. I went back to the lobby and got another room with the help of another staff member. This time, the room was fine. However, because of the earlier incident, I decided to leave a 'do not disturb' sign on the room door during my entire stay.

Another inconvenience that after taking a shower, i realized that the bathrooms had no towels and I had to call for housekeeping to get me towels. This is a decent hotel, but I wish the staff can be more professional here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest Fitterthanchoc,

Thank you very much for your constructive comment.
We really appreciate your enjoyed our strategic location, at 2 minutes distance walking between the Mall and the Harbour Ferry, connecting our district to Singapore.

Regarding the incident you encountered for your check in and arrival in the room, after deeper investigation it appears our Front Office team did not allocate the appropriate room due to an internal miscommunication. In addition, due to high check in period, our housekeeping department did not yet finish to set up your bathroom amenities. I take the full responsibility about this awkward arrival in our property.

Dear Valued Guest Fitterthanchoc, I will be delighted to welcome you again in Batam for your next venue, with all our Players we will make your stay Unique, through the professionalism attitude and customer satisfaction we provide to our lovely Guests.

"Harrisly Yours'

Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

i really like the service and warm friendly helpful staff in front office. since we had a booking from internet, they've already prepared the room even the chek in time is still another 1 hour away , breakfast at coffee shop also much variety and all delicious , made me want to eat all ! they also provided jamu ( special herb made) to the guest. perfect ! shopping mal is acrross the street and the batam center ferry terminal is just next to the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest Purbaningrum Sasmita,

Thank you very much for your time and positive comment.

We are more than delighted to read you appreciated our hospitality in HARRIS Hotel Batam Center. Your comment has been shared with all our Players.
We are glad to know you enjoyed your stay with us, we are working day by day to improve our service to make your time with as a Unique experience.

Dear Valued Guest Purbaningrum Sasmita, we are looking forward your next venue in Batam to welcome you again, enjoying the environment and Unique energy of HARRIS Hotel Batam Center.

"Harrisly Yours"

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Great location, steps away from Batam Centre Ferry Terminal and just across the road from Mega Mall. Great service at hotel, got a call from reception to open my room door as I had hanged the 'do not disturb' sign at my door when I asked for the maintenance for a faulty light in my room. Had dinner at the hotel which proved to be disastrous. Ordered their signature Ikan Assam which cos about 60,000 IDR and the fish is so overcooked, informed the staff about it but no action was taken. Forget about having any meals at the hotel, you can have much better food at the mega mall for a fraction of this price like at Warung Tekko or Warung Cobain. Many nice coffee joints at the mega mall too. Love the swimming pool though, but no cushion was put at the loungers for some reason though it's already 11am, saw the cushions the day before. Taxi from hotel to Nagoya Mall is 50,000 IDR per way which is about 15mins drive. Personally, I think the Mega Mall is so much better than Nagoya Mall. Nagoya Mall is too old and stuffy and offers the same F&B choices too. No spa at hotel nor any at the Mega Mall too. If you need any massage, you got to order the hotel in-room services.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
General Manager H, General Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guest SmurfSingapore,

Thank you very much for your constructive comment. It has been deeply shared with the HARRIS Hotel Batam Center's Players.

We are glad to read you appreciated our service for your stay with us and the strategic location of our property between the Megamall and the Harbour Ferry, connected Singapore to our district.

Our Chef and Food & Beverage Manager knew about the incident you encountered in our restaurant, actions have been taken to make sure the cooking time of the fish correspond to the guest culinary expectation. We provide training to our Players to prevent this situation, its content has been reinforced.

Dear Valued Guest SmurfSingapore, thank you again for your comment, we will be more than pleased to welcome you again for your next stay in Batam.

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

This hotel is located next to Batam Center Ferry Terminal, diagonally opposite the Mega Mall. Room is huge and spacious with colourful theme. You must try the massage and it's really awesome. The food is good and affordable. We love the Nasi Goreng Kotak, very tasty and one order is never enough. I love the layout of the restaurant. It is open concept and modern. The entire lobby plus the lobby café looks very fruity. We love it!!!

In the room, they provided us with free aroma oil and it smells good. The bed and pillows are so very comfortable. I had a good night sleep without waking up !!!

Opposite the hotel, there are street stalls selling Indonesia cook food. Tried the satay... wow.. hot and good :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
General Manager H, General Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Valued Guest Janet,

Thank you very much for your time and positive input about your stay in HARRIS Hotel Batam Center.

Our Chef and Food and Beverage Manager deeply appreciated your emphasize about our "tasty Nasi Goreng Kotak " and our open space concept for the restaurant. Our Executive Housekeeper has been delighted to know you had had a great and restful night in one of our 171 rooms.

Dear Valued Guest Janet, thank you again for this comment, our full team will be more than glad to welcome you again for your next stay with us.

" Harrisly Yours"

Benjamin Castel

Been to Harris Hotel Batam Center? Share your experiences!