“An okay stay, but staff are quite careless” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Harris Hotel Batam Center

Save Saved
You added Harris Hotel Batam Center to your Saves list
Harris Hotel Batam Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Engku Putri, Riau Islands Province 29641, Indonesia   |
Ranked #2 of 69 hotels in Batam
Singapore, Singapore
“An okay stay, but staff are quite careless”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights for a short getaway trip. The good thing about the hotel is the convenient location. It is just 2 mins walk away from the batam centre ferry terminal, and the shopping centre, so you don't really have to worry about having to catch a cab or to arrange for a transfer. The hotel room was clean, with all the basic items that you need. The bed was fairly comfortable, and the room that I got (facing the sea) was quite enough for a restful sleep. I forgot my phone charger, but thankfully they have a charging station at the lobby, so that saved me a lot of hassle.

While the location is good, and facilities are okay, the staff here can be a little absent-minded or careless (at least that is my impression). When I checked-in, I was assigned a room that was already occupied. I entered the room that was assigned to me initially, only to realize there was another guest's bags and valuables in the room. I went back to the lobby and got another room with the help of another staff member. This time, the room was fine. However, because of the earlier incident, I decided to leave a 'do not disturb' sign on the room door during my entire stay.

Another inconvenience that after taking a shower, i realized that the bathrooms had no towels and I had to call for housekeeping to get me towels. This is a decent hotel, but I wish the staff can be more professional here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
General Manager H, General Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Valued Guest Fitterthanchoc,

Thank you very much for your constructive comment.
We really appreciate your enjoyed our strategic location, at 2 minutes distance walking between the Mall and the Harbour Ferry, connecting our district to Singapore.

Regarding the incident you encountered for your check in and arrival in the room, after deeper investigation it appears our Front Office team did not allocate the appropriate room due to an internal miscommunication. In addition, due to high check in period, our housekeeping department did not yet finish to set up your bathroom amenities. I take the full responsibility about this awkward arrival in our property.

Dear Valued Guest Fitterthanchoc, I will be delighted to welcome you again in Batam for your next venue, with all our Players we will make your stay Unique, through the professionalism attitude and customer satisfaction we provide to our lovely Guests.

"Harrisly Yours'

492 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

i really like the service and warm friendly helpful staff in front office. since we had a booking from internet, they've already prepared the room even the chek in time is still another 1 hour away , breakfast at coffee shop also much variety and all delicious , made me want to eat all ! they also provided jamu ( special herb made) to the guest. perfect ! shopping mal is acrross the street and the batam center ferry terminal is just next to the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest Purbaningrum Sasmita,

Thank you very much for your time and positive comment.

We are more than delighted to read you appreciated our hospitality in HARRIS Hotel Batam Center. Your comment has been shared with all our Players.
We are glad to know you enjoyed your stay with us, we are working day by day to improve our service to make your time with as a Unique experience.

Dear Valued Guest Purbaningrum Sasmita, we are looking forward your next venue in Batam to welcome you again, enjoying the environment and Unique energy of HARRIS Hotel Batam Center.

"Harrisly Yours"

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Great location, steps away from Batam Centre Ferry Terminal and just across the road from Mega Mall. Great service at hotel, got a call from reception to open my room door as I had hanged the 'do not disturb' sign at my door when I asked for the maintenance for a faulty light in my room. Had dinner at the hotel which proved to be disastrous. Ordered their signature Ikan Assam which cos about 60,000 IDR and the fish is so overcooked, informed the staff about it but no action was taken. Forget about having any meals at the hotel, you can have much better food at the mega mall for a fraction of this price like at Warung Tekko or Warung Cobain. Many nice coffee joints at the mega mall too. Love the swimming pool though, but no cushion was put at the loungers for some reason though it's already 11am, saw the cushions the day before. Taxi from hotel to Nagoya Mall is 50,000 IDR per way which is about 15mins drive. Personally, I think the Mega Mall is so much better than Nagoya Mall. Nagoya Mall is too old and stuffy and offers the same F&B choices too. No spa at hotel nor any at the Mega Mall too. If you need any massage, you got to order the hotel in-room services.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
General Manager H, General Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guest SmurfSingapore,

Thank you very much for your constructive comment. It has been deeply shared with the HARRIS Hotel Batam Center's Players.

We are glad to read you appreciated our service for your stay with us and the strategic location of our property between the Megamall and the Harbour Ferry, connected Singapore to our district.

Our Chef and Food & Beverage Manager knew about the incident you encountered in our restaurant, actions have been taken to make sure the cooking time of the fish correspond to the guest culinary expectation. We provide training to our Players to prevent this situation, its content has been reinforced.

Dear Valued Guest SmurfSingapore, thank you again for your comment, we will be more than pleased to welcome you again for your next stay in Batam.

" Harrisly Yours "

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

This hotel is located next to Batam Center Ferry Terminal, diagonally opposite the Mega Mall. Room is huge and spacious with colourful theme. You must try the massage and it's really awesome. The food is good and affordable. We love the Nasi Goreng Kotak, very tasty and one order is never enough. I love the layout of the restaurant. It is open concept and modern. The entire lobby plus the lobby café looks very fruity. We love it!!!

In the room, they provided us with free aroma oil and it smells good. The bed and pillows are so very comfortable. I had a good night sleep without waking up !!!

Opposite the hotel, there are street stalls selling Indonesia cook food. Tried the satay... wow.. hot and good :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
General Manager H, General Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Valued Guest Janet,

Thank you very much for your time and positive input about your stay in HARRIS Hotel Batam Center.

Our Chef and Food and Beverage Manager deeply appreciated your emphasize about our "tasty Nasi Goreng Kotak " and our open space concept for the restaurant. Our Executive Housekeeper has been delighted to know you had had a great and restful night in one of our 171 rooms.

Dear Valued Guest Janet, thank you again for this comment, our full team will be more than glad to welcome you again for your next stay with us.

" Harrisly Yours"

singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I was very impressed from the service I've received from Harris Batam Centre service crew. Was greeted warmly by the receptionist the moment me and my partner walks in after a little shopping at the mega mall opposite the hotel. Though there was a little misunderstanding about me extending another night with the hotel, the problem was resolved in less than 5 minutes and everything was in place. Requested to extend the check-out time but was advise by the receptionist that they were fully booked on that day, but he still managed to give us a 30 minutes late check-out (better than nothing, right?) Thumbs up for his help that we can still have our last minute shopping at the hyper-mart.

Room wise... it was definitely much more spacious and bigger than those cheap hotels back here. Request for a sea view room and our view was awesome. Directly facing the ferry terminal, one could simply enjoy the view of the sea and also at the swimming pool downstairs at the lobby level. Wanted to went for a dip but.. we realized that the pool was just directly beside the cafeteria, and thus we decided not to. I hope that the pool area should be at somewhere discreetly and expose to the sea instead of the cafeteria though. Will be much better and popular I think. As for the room, we were puzzled by the spacious space between the windows and the bed... maybe a one pax sofa and tea table to fill up the space? If not it will look really weird when you walk in the room. The feeling of emptiness? Something like that. Bathroom was big enough, though no bath tub but just shower is good enough. Water "power" is good and warm water came fast. However... they only provide 1 set of toiletries? We have to call the room service crew to provide us with the second pax toiletries. Since it's a double occupancy room, I hope the management can take this into consideration to provide enough toiletries for their guests. We sleep quite well for the 2 nights - their pillows are really fluffy and comfy!

Buffet breakfast was included during our stay. The spread was quite limited and I think the most popular among all guests is the egg station (there's always a queue but only one chef is attending to the station). My favorite is definitely the cereal station - 4 different types of cereals in total. But one will never go wrong with cereals I guess. Other food is just too salty for me IMO.

Location of the hotel is great. Less than 5 minutes walk from Batam Centre Terminal (you can even spot the hotel when you are nearing the ferry terminal, that's how close it is). There's a mega mall opposite with quite a number of cheap eateries and of cos our favorite - hyper mart. If you want to go for your seafood fixing and other shopping malls, they are just 15-20mins taxi ride from the hotel (around 40,000RP)

Overall we enjoyed our stay in Harris Batam Centre. This shall definitely be in our list the next time we are there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest mlwl15,

First of all, thank you very for your time and positive comment.

We are more than glad to read your extension request has been resolved quickly, and you enjoyed your stay with our vibrant Players and the nice sea view room which has been allocated to both of you. Guest satisfaction is our priority.

We definitely appreciated you enjoyed the strategic location of HARRIS Hotel Batam Center, at 2 minutes walking distance from the Mega Mall and the Harbour Ferry connected our district to Singapore.

Dear Valued Guest mlwl 15, thank you again for your input, we definitely will be more than glad to welcome you again for your next stay with us.

" Harrisly Yours "

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I stayed in the Harris Hotel Batam Centre for six weeks. I had a great experience throughout my stay. This a boutique style hotel with a minimalist theme. Rooms are clean, spacious and well serviced. Staff are very helpful, happy, (lots of smiling faces) and attentive (sometimes a little too on the latter). I only has one issue during my stay which was a faulty air conditioning unit in my room, it was repaired within an hour of my reporting the problem. Harris Batam Centre provides the business or leisure a good location and excellent pricing, stays of 10 or days are given a discount but you will need to ask for it in advance of reservation.

Room Tip: High floor 5 or above ask for water front view and end room (no connecting door)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
General Manager H, General Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Valued Guest Adrian,

Thank you very much for your time and positive comment. We are more than glad to read you had had a "great experience" with HARRIS Hotel Batam Center.

We are delighted to know you appreciated the quick action of our Engineering Team although you encountered once an incident during your six weeks stay in our property.

Dear Valued Guest Adrian, we will be more than glad to see you again in HARRIS Hotel Batam Center for your next venue in our island.

Harrisly Yours,

Jakarta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I have just finished my two days meeting in Harris Batam Center (in their Unique 2 room). The staffs were really helpfull to support our event. Our 1st day went smoothly, but on the next day, there's another event just beside our meeting room (Unique 1). They played music and we could hear it clearly which was very annoying! So if you are looking for a hotel to conduct your meeting in Batam, what we have been through should take into consideration.

Location wise, this hotel is great. It is next to International Ferry Terminal where the participants could easily go to Singapore to extend their stay after the meeting. Just opposite the hotel there's a mall having Strabucks, so we could ordered Starbucks for our meeting participants.

Food was basic, nothing special. Breakfast was really crowded, the place was a disaster in the morning.

15 people of us arrived at the same time from Jakarta. We ordered an airport pick up from Harris via Mr. Besrin, and we got a very poor bus condition! And..the bus was not there when we arrived. We were expecting there is someone from Harris who will pick up us from the airport. Nope! There was no one. Only the driver of the bus, who came late. Too bad the bus thing was our first impression of the service oh Harris Batam. And they disappointed us from the start.

I stayed in room 916, when taking shower, all of the place gets wet. I had to put a towel to ensure that the water didn't get out of the shower area.

I was the one from our company who choose this hotel for almost 100 people of our participant from all over Indonesia, and If I could only turn back time I would have chosen another hotel in Batam to conduct meeting.

Sorry Harris, this time you really dissappoint me!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
General Manager H, General Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Valued Guest Tesyasblog,

Thank you for your constructive comment about the event who took place in our property.
We feel very disappointed about the incident you experienced for your venue in Batam.

We normally used our available own HARRIS Shuttle 20 seats capacity for any necessary group to pick up at the Airport. Unfortunately, for this time, another group booked it already long time ago. Thus, we exceptionally outsourced the service for your last minute request.
We copied with a bad service quality from this company, I guarantee you we will be more selective with our local partners.

Dear Valued Guest Tesyasblog, thank you again for your constructive comment, we appreciated you enjoyed the support of the HARRIS Hotel Batam Center Players, and thus, despite of this incident.

Harrissly Yours,

Benjamin Castel

Been to Harris Hotel Batam Center? Share your experiences!