“Alright but disappointing compared to previous stay (due some bed bugs).” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Harris Hotel Batam Center

Save Saved
You added Harris Hotel Batam Center to your Saves list
Harris Hotel Batam Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Engku Putri, Riau Islands Province 29641, Indonesia   |
Offers & Announcements
FREE BREAKFAST FOR 2
Ranked #2 of 68 hotels in Batam
Singapore, Singapore
“Alright but disappointing compared to previous stay (due some bed bugs).”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Spend my Christmas for a 4D3Ns stay at Harris Batam Center Hotel. They had granted my request for a big bed and seaview room.

As you enter the room, no aromatherapy oil is lighted up though. Cause I understand by right, they would normally light up for you.

The room is nice and clean. However, the bedsheets and pillows are extremely dirty. Not to mention the bath towels too. I definitely believe Harris had washed it, but I guess they had to start to buy new sets of bedsheets, pillows covers and bath towels. The black dots and stains made it gross for anyone to see it. The aircon was ok , functioning well. As for bed bugs, I read the previous post by someone in Tripadvisor, I even write to the Hotel to double confirm they had no bed bugs now. Of course, the hotel officer guaranteed with me no bed bugs in my room. Well, guess what, my friend has some bitten spot on her leg every morning when she woke up. Luckily not the whole body - Thanks God. Frankly speaking, I doubt I would want to stay here the next time. Standard did drop a lot compared to my last visit.

The location of Harris Hotel is not bad here because is just besides the Batam Center Terminal and opposite is the MegaMall Shopping Center. Also, Megamall has a cinema theatre but U have to check the time on that day itself. I just aware that this place is a bit of the corner, so a taxi from here to Nagoya is $60,000 per way. Food wise, Nagoya has more choice of food and a more ideal place to shop. Nagoya shopping mall is located very near to I-Hotel (which is slightly more expensive than Harris Batam Center. Just opposite Nagoya shopping mall is The Spa Secret. Okie is not that far from Nagoya abt 5mins walk, BUT, you have to cross 2 roads which are very dangerous,,, (so please be cautious when crossing the 2 roads).

Ermm, recommend this hotel? If you prefer very clean beds, i would suggest u stay in another hotel (like I-Hotel).

Room Tip: Request for a seaview room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
General Manager H, General Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Stitch Traveller

First of all, I wanted to thank you for your accurate input, we strongly took notes about your recommendations which have been shared with the related departments.

The housekeeping department has been informed about the aromatherapy issue you copied with, it has to be lighted up for every venue. Regarding the spots on your bed sheets, we are actually changing our laundry supplier and renewing our sheets and towels par stock. We are more than glad you consider the room “clean”, we are working day after day to make your experience delightful.

About the incident your wife experienced, after investigation, you room has been treated by our pest control on the 15th of December; we already reinforced the chemicals used and the frequency. Your stay took place from the 22th to the 25th of December. Our housekeeping manager investigated in detail your room; we did not find any track of insects.

Nonetheless, allergies to materials or products have to be considered. In addition, the strong rainfall for this winter season in Batam can increase fliers or mosquitos in outside location, the body reaction can appear later on too. On the top of that, some Guests are more sensitive than other. It could explain why only your wife experienced these disturbances and not you personally. But as all Guests complains we received, I shared this issues with my room manager; when requested, we actually are more than please to provide to our Guest, any body lotion to prevent and/ or cure mosquito bites.

Regarding the location, we are more than glad your appreciate the place, actually our hotel is 2minutes walking distance from the Mega mall and the Harbour Ferry, which make really convenient to all our guests to go for shopping or other activities.

Dear Stich Traveller, thank you very much for your constructive comment again, in case you are coming back to Batam, I will be more than pleased to welcome you and discuss about your last stay with us.

471 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Me and my wife went for a short getaway here at Batam from 30th November to 2nd December 2012. It was to celebrate her birthday and we had everything planned out; accomodation, spa, tour, shopping, etc. I booked 1 month in advance, Stated clearly in my booking details what I wanted, e.g. private pool dinner, high floor & sea view & smoking room. We arrived early, requested early check-in and were given a room without much if a hassle. We requested for a high floor with a sea view and were given so (Non-smoking Room). There was one problem though which caused me some embarrassment and my wife some inconvenience, which was my credit card was DOUBLE-CHARGED. Being a thrifty traveller I normally dedicate 1 bank account for the expenses overseas so I will be able to track easily. What happened was during the check-in, the front-office staff charged the room rates (2 nights) to my card and he claimed it rejected. So he tried again. This time it was rejected again . It kept rejecting after several re-tries. I had no choice but to use my wife's credit card to settle the bill first, afterwhich I called the bank to find out what had happened. They didnt present any itemised bill or receipt upon our check-in despite them debitting the room charges.

Later on, found out that the 1st time the charge was debited had gone through I was enraged by the staff's poor handling of the matter. Either he was just new, wasnt sure what he was doing or he was attempting to rip us off. I immediately contacted the reservations team to demand a refund as I was double-charged for the room. (Imagine an ignorant tourist, he probably wouldnt have realised he paid double unless he checked with his bank). I gave them my WIFE's bank details and we were put on hold for the whole day. We went out for lunch and even when i came back in the evening there was still no reply from them.

I kept on pestering them for the reply. At night, we went for our private dinner by the pool. Ambience was nice, but not great as there wasnt much of a breeze, (so you are advised to wear something light). We were supposed to get my wife's birthday cake as a surprise, after the whole course, but it never came!! (BOOO!!). We returned to the room and even then there was no news about our cake till I had to call them to bring it up at midnight.

The cake came shortly later as informed and we were delighted by the staff's birthday song (my wife especially as she wasnt expecting it). But she was kind off unhappy as she was caught in her PJs!

So back to the refund, the day after, still no reply from them, on our way out, i demanded to speak with the manager but he wasnt around so I told them i wanted a reply by the time we came back. True enough, when we returned to room, there was an envelope under the door. It contained a letter stating that the hotel apologises for the mishap and will refund the amount within a week. Problem was, it was MY bank account. (BOOO!!! So my wife had to pay for the room) I felt abit dissapointed as what I asked for, I didnt get.

That night, i emailed them about my dissapointment and told them about their poor service recovery. I recieved a call from the duty manager informing me that he apologises for the poor service and he offered to compensate us by giving us a free reflexology treatment the following day. I declined, as I thought, it was too late for that as we already went for our spa earlier. Instead I asked them if they are willing to exchange that for complimentary breakfast and birthday cake, which they obliged.

We had breakfast, (it was okay. some variety available) and checked out later. To my surprise, they waived off the private pool dinner as well! This was done by the Duty Manager Mr. Bayu. I was delighted as I felt I had paid value for money as there were so much complimentary items given as service recovery.

We left, happily and decided our stay there was worthwhile after all. Aside from the hiccup in payment and cake, overall it was a wonderfull stay. I will come back there if i were to visit Batam.

Room Tip: -Smoking rooms are only available on the lower floors. -Food is expensive, and choices are limited...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
General Manager H, General Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, January 17, 2013

Cheers from HARRIS Hotel Batam Center, the new “Hotspot right in the Center”.

Thank you for choosing HARRIS Hotel Batam Center for your short getaway and to celebrate your wife birthday.

We are glad, after all the inconvenience, we can offer you better solution. Indeed, we are continuously trying to improve our services and facilities in order to meet our Guests expectations. Flexibility and adaptability is part of our operational motto. Your review is very instructive, it show how hoteliers has to continuously understand Guests needs. We are working about it every day, being proactive, and providing a unique stay to all our Guests.

Once again, it will be a great pleasure for all of us to welcome you again for your next visit in HARRIS Hotel Batam Center.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Located just beside Batam center ferry terminal, and just 1 minute walk opposite MegaMall, It's the most convenience and interesting place to spend a short getaway at.

Lets talk about the hotel stay now.

Pros:
- Clean and new
- captivating citrus scent in every room
- Nice scenery, be it facing the sea of the city.
- Modern looking rooms
- Hotel staff are always very prompt and attentive to our request.
- smiles on faces of all staffs.
- Helpful, kind, understanding.
- nice buffet breakfast!

Cons:
- No room windows for ventilation or natural sea breeze
- you might not like the citrus smell of the room.

And YES! i'll not hesitate to book harris hotel if i were to stay at batam center again. The experience is just so great! (:

Room Tip: Facing the sea!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
General Manager H, General Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, January 6, 2013

Cheers from HARRIS Hotel Batam Center, the new “Hotspot right in the Center”.

Thank you for choosing HARRIS Hotel Batam Center during your stay in Batam. We are glad to read that we reached your expectation on our Hotel

You can be sure that your comments have been a source of motivation for all the team and that we remain focus to consistenly improve our services and facilities.

We look forward to having the pleasure to welcome you again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Me and my mum stayed at this hotel on 26 Dec 2012 for one night.Hotel is good location next to ferry terminal but nothing much to do around the vicinity.Room was ok except the aircon started to leak in the morning,hope that the sheets are alot more cleaner and also the bathroom.Breakfast buffet was ok with wide variety of food.Only encounter was
the rude counter staff who called the room saying that it was check out time despite of me being given an extended checkout till 12.30 pm by another lady staff.And when I came down to settle the bill he looked at me with unhappy face.Well this hotel can go along way if things are improved as mentioned.

• Stayed December 2012

Cheers from HARRIS Hotel Batam Center, the new “Hotspot right in the Center”.

We would like to thank you for the genuine feedback and sharing your overall stay experience with us.

Our guest feedback are our most precious source of information and a truly appreciated support to our daily commitment. We are sorry for the inconvenience experience you had due to the air con leaking, the cleanliness of sheets and the incident with our front office. Our engineering, housekeeping, and reception manager already took the corrective actions.

We claim to continuously improve our services and facilities through feedback like yours. As a consequence, training is one of our major concern in order to fulfill our Guest expectations.

We do hope to be able to have you with us in the near future with better impressions of the HARRIS Simple Unique and Friendly service.

Benjamin Castel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Didn't come expecting much since it was a very last-minute trip, but turned out to be a great one!

Came here on the New Year's package - one night + carnival dinner + breakfast for 1,750,000. Hotel was big and bright with very decent rooms; we got the sea view room and it was great waking up on New Year's Day to the view!

Nagoya Hills Mall is about a 15-min taxi ride away (IDR 60,000), and Harbor Bay is just a bit further down (same price to go there by taxi).

Food and service were both good, drinks at the H Cafe are slightly pricey but okay. There are many Indonesians from other parts of Indonesia, mostly families do expect to see a lot if kids!

• Stayed December 2012

Cheers from HARRIS Hotel Batam Center, the new “Hotspot right in the Center”.

Thank you very much for staying in our hotel and for sharing your wonderful comments. We are so happy to hear that you have good experience during your stay with us.

Kindly be inform your review has been very warmly welcome by our HARRIS Players.

Once again thank you, we look forward to welcoming you again in HARRIS Hotel Batam Center in a near future.

Johor Bahru, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I have got ants crawling over me in the morning.
The hotel staff tried to be apologize but didn't do much, only say sorry.
Breakfast tasted like leftover. Over-cooked or too dry or cold.
For RM180 in Batam, I can get a much better hotel.
Hotel is new, but not well managed. Waste money.
Night time the place have no entertainment except the shopping mall opposite selling C class fake goods. Stay Nagoya town better.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear HARRIS Fan,

Cheers from Harris Hotel Batam Center, the new “Hotspot right in the Center”

Thank you very much for your input which has been highly consider by all the management team of the hotel.

Regarding the incident you experienced for the breakfast, our chef deeply made the necessary changes. We copied with technical issues with our dishes heater few days ago, it has been fixed by our engineering team to guarantee a good level of food quality to our guests. On the top of that, i wanted to inform you, all our kitchen team has been provided thermometer, with daily temperature spot check reported to our chef.

Regarding your experience in Batam, our location is a new developing place in the area, well located to the Mega Mall. Thus, we feel really sorry you did not appreciate the entertaining proposed.

I will be more than glad to welcome you for your next visit, and will be please to recommend you the cinema,shop, or other activities we have at 2 minutes walking distance from our building.

Harrisly yours
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Was looking for a great safe place to stay on Batam and decided to book this hotel based on reviews by Trip Advisor and was not disappointed. Did my booking about 6 days ahead via the hotel's website under 'Simple Deal' and promptly received a confirmation via email.

The hotel can be seen upon arrival at the Batam Centre ferry terminal as it is located right beside it; no need to run through the gauntlet of taxi drivers. There were security posts right at the entrances of the hotel, with a makeshift police post across the street of the hotel. Security personnel acted as doormen and greeted us with a big smile and 'Welcome' as they opened the door to a bright & airy reception /restaurant /lobby. Imagine our surprise when two more security people served us welcome local drinks and cold towels as well! Check-in was swift and pleasant, with the only minus points that our requested room (King, non-smoking, high floor, seaview) was not available. We were informed that only Twin Beds are available on High sea-view floors (why is that?) We decided on that as the only alternative was on 2nd level smoking floor facing the road. We were told we could push the beds together easily.

Room was spacious with a flat screen TV with almost all channels available; HBO, Discovery, CNN, local as well as Singapore channels etc. Bathroom is just the right size with no bathtub, but a glass contained shower stall , open closet instead of a closed cupboard. Free coffee, tea & two complimentary bottles of mineral water was replenished everyday of our stay. Bed was comfy & aircon is all self-controlled. We had a nice view of the sea. Breakfast is ok, with a good variety; would be great if it tasted just a little better. Infinity pool just outside restaurant is small but nice enough. Gym has alot of machines & weights.

About 3 mins walk away is Mega Mall, clean & modern, great shopping with all facilities available. Good value for money restaurants with local food as well as fast food such as A&W,KFC & Pizza HUt, JCO & Starbucks as well. The cinema is clean & spacious showing latest movies at a quarter of Spore prices. U can go to Nagoya Hills Mall for about rp60,000, taxi available at hotel taxi counter but why bother when Mega Mall offers the same things with same prices & variety with much less crowd.

Overall, Harris Hotel is good value for money & convenient too, if you don't mind spending just a little more money for comfort, convenience and rest & relaxation,

Room Tip: High Floors, Sea-facing are quieter, book directly on their website for faster response.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
General Manager H, General Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Valued Guest Happimie

Cheers from Harris Hotel Batam Center, the new “Hotspot right in the Center”

Thank you for sharing your positive review with us. We are more than glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Guests satisfaction is our priority.

As you mention, Security is an essential criteria in HARRIS Hotel Batam Center. Our Safety Department regularly provide monthly trainee to all its staff, maintaining and improving its expertise.

On the top of that, we are delighted to read you enjoyed all the entertaining activities we can found in the Mega Mall, 2 minutes walking distances from our Hotel.

Once again, thank you very much for your comment, and we hope to meet you again for your next stay in HARRIS Hotel Batam Center.

Benjamin Castel

Been to Harris Hotel Batam Center? Share your experiences!