“Good hotel for short stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Harris Hotel Batam Center

You added Harris Hotel Batam Center to your Saves list
Harris Hotel Batam Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Engku Putri, Riau Islands Province 29641, Indonesia   |
Ranked #2 of 76 Hotels in Batam
“Good hotel for short stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Me and my mum stayed at this hotel on 26 Dec 2012 for one night.Hotel is good location next to ferry terminal but nothing much to do around the vicinity.Room was ok except the aircon started to leak in the morning,hope that the sheets are alot more cleaner and also the bathroom.Breakfast buffet was ok with wide variety of food.Only encounter was
the rude counter staff who called the room saying that it was check out time despite of me being given an extended checkout till 12.30 pm by another lady staff.And when I came down to settle the bill he looked at me with unhappy face.Well this hotel can go along way if things are improved as mentioned.

• Stayed December 2012
General Manager H, General Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, January 17, 2013

Cheers from HARRIS Hotel Batam Center, the new “Hotspot right in the Center”.

We would like to thank you for the genuine feedback and sharing your overall stay experience with us.

Our guest feedback are our most precious source of information and a truly appreciated support to our daily commitment. We are sorry for the inconvenience experience you had due to the air con leaking, the cleanliness of sheets and the incident with our front office. Our engineering, housekeeping, and reception manager already took the corrective actions.

We claim to continuously improve our services and facilities through feedback like yours. As a consequence, training is one of our major concern in order to fulfill our Guest expectations.

We do hope to be able to have you with us in the near future with better impressions of the HARRIS Simple Unique and Friendly service.

Benjamin Castel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Didn't come expecting much since it was a very last-minute trip, but turned out to be a great one!

Came here on the New Year's package - one night + carnival dinner + breakfast for 1,750,000. Hotel was big and bright with very decent rooms; we got the sea view room and it was great waking up on New Year's Day to the view!

Nagoya Hills Mall is about a 15-min taxi ride away (IDR 60,000), and Harbor Bay is just a bit further down (same price to go there by taxi).

Food and service were both good, drinks at the H Cafe are slightly pricey but okay. There are many Indonesians from other parts of Indonesia, mostly families do expect to see a lot if kids!

• Stayed December 2012
General Manager H, General Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, January 6, 2013

Cheers from HARRIS Hotel Batam Center, the new “Hotspot right in the Center”.

Thank you very much for staying in our hotel and for sharing your wonderful comments. We are so happy to hear that you have good experience during your stay with us.

Kindly be inform your review has been very warmly welcome by our HARRIS Players.

Once again thank you, we look forward to welcoming you again in HARRIS Hotel Batam Center in a near future.

Johor Bahru, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I have got ants crawling over me in the morning.
The hotel staff tried to be apologize but didn't do much, only say sorry.
Breakfast tasted like leftover. Over-cooked or too dry or cold.
For RM180 in Batam, I can get a much better hotel.
Hotel is new, but not well managed. Waste money.
Night time the place have no entertainment except the shopping mall opposite selling C class fake goods. Stay Nagoya town better.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear HARRIS Fan,

Cheers from Harris Hotel Batam Center, the new “Hotspot right in the Center”

Thank you very much for your input which has been highly consider by all the management team of the hotel.

Regarding the incident you experienced for the breakfast, our chef deeply made the necessary changes. We copied with technical issues with our dishes heater few days ago, it has been fixed by our engineering team to guarantee a good level of food quality to our guests. On the top of that, i wanted to inform you, all our kitchen team has been provided thermometer, with daily temperature spot check reported to our chef.

Regarding your experience in Batam, our location is a new developing place in the area, well located to the Mega Mall. Thus, we feel really sorry you did not appreciate the entertaining proposed.

I will be more than glad to welcome you for your next visit, and will be please to recommend you the cinema,shop, or other activities we have at 2 minutes walking distance from our building.

Harrisly yours
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Was looking for a great safe place to stay on Batam and decided to book this hotel based on reviews by Trip Advisor and was not disappointed. Did my booking about 6 days ahead via the hotel's website under 'Simple Deal' and promptly received a confirmation via email.

The hotel can be seen upon arrival at the Batam Centre ferry terminal as it is located right beside it; no need to run through the gauntlet of taxi drivers. There were security posts right at the entrances of the hotel, with a makeshift police post across the street of the hotel. Security personnel acted as doormen and greeted us with a big smile and 'Welcome' as they opened the door to a bright & airy reception /restaurant /lobby. Imagine our surprise when two more security people served us welcome local drinks and cold towels as well! Check-in was swift and pleasant, with the only minus points that our requested room (King, non-smoking, high floor, seaview) was not available. We were informed that only Twin Beds are available on High sea-view floors (why is that?) We decided on that as the only alternative was on 2nd level smoking floor facing the road. We were told we could push the beds together easily.

Room was spacious with a flat screen TV with almost all channels available; HBO, Discovery, CNN, local as well as Singapore channels etc. Bathroom is just the right size with no bathtub, but a glass contained shower stall , open closet instead of a closed cupboard. Free coffee, tea & two complimentary bottles of mineral water was replenished everyday of our stay. Bed was comfy & aircon is all self-controlled. We had a nice view of the sea. Breakfast is ok, with a good variety; would be great if it tasted just a little better. Infinity pool just outside restaurant is small but nice enough. Gym has alot of machines & weights.

About 3 mins walk away is Mega Mall, clean & modern, great shopping with all facilities available. Good value for money restaurants with local food as well as fast food such as A&W,KFC & Pizza HUt, JCO & Starbucks as well. The cinema is clean & spacious showing latest movies at a quarter of Spore prices. U can go to Nagoya Hills Mall for about rp60,000, taxi available at hotel taxi counter but why bother when Mega Mall offers the same things with same prices & variety with much less crowd.

Overall, Harris Hotel is good value for money & convenient too, if you don't mind spending just a little more money for comfort, convenience and rest & relaxation,

Room Tip: High Floors, Sea-facing are quieter, book directly on their website for faster response.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
General Manager H, General Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Valued Guest Happimie

Cheers from Harris Hotel Batam Center, the new “Hotspot right in the Center”

Thank you for sharing your positive review with us. We are more than glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Guests satisfaction is our priority.

As you mention, Security is an essential criteria in HARRIS Hotel Batam Center. Our Safety Department regularly provide monthly trainee to all its staff, maintaining and improving its expertise.

On the top of that, we are delighted to read you enjoyed all the entertaining activities we can found in the Mega Mall, 2 minutes walking distances from our Hotel.

Once again, thank you very much for your comment, and we hope to meet you again for your next stay in HARRIS Hotel Batam Center.

Java
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Harris is new and everything is in good shape. Clean. Staff is very friendly, and helpful. They have a mini-bus and even though it was only a short walk to the ferry harbour, they drove me over there. Thus, saving dragging one big suitcase. Breakfast is a varied buffet with Asian and Western food. The room was large with a nice large view of the town.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
General Manager H, General Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, January 16, 2013

Cheers from HARRIS Hotel Batam Center, the new “Hotspot right in the Center”.

Thank you very much for your positive review. It has been shared with the HARRIS Batam Center Players. Making your stay as pleasant as you described is our duty, and we are more than glad when guest takes time to describe their unique experience with us.

Thank you again, looking forward to meet you for your next stay.

Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My name is Theva. I am Singaporean. Earlier i had booked an online deal via deal.com.sg to enjoy a short getaway stay at your Harris hotel (Batam Center). I came down to your hotel with my 2 cousin brothers.

On March 19, we checked in at the hotel around 7.30pm. Room No 314 on level 3 was issued to us. It was a triple sharing room
so we stayed till March 21, checked out at 12 noon as per normal. So when we checked out, I returned our room access cards to your reception lobby staff. After returning the access cards, I asked the female staff (can’t remember her name), “is that all? Anything else to be settled?. The staff replied,” That’s all Sir, Thank you.” Following that I made a kind request to the staff whether we can use the swimming pool as a public user. The staff replied” Ya sure can, no problem at all Sir”… We proceed on to use the swimming pool and used till around 2.30pm. After that we took a quick shower, changed to our dry clothing and was about to exit from the hotel by the main door. (We had actually had a ferry to catch at 5.20pm) At this moment around 2.45pm, a male staff at the reception lobby told me there is a bill to settle. I was shocked as I have earlier checked with the staff about anything to settle. To my shock, there was a bill of 470,000 rupiah based on the consumption of drinks from the minibar/fridge in our room for the 2 days.

I was really surprised. Nobody in the Harris Hotel informed us that there has to be payment needs to be made for the consumption of drinks from the minibar/fridge in the room.

Firstly the staff claimed that we have consumed 1 bintang beer and 1 tiger beer as according to their data. As far as I know,We only had consumed some soft drinks like Coca Cola and Spirite. I told them there is something wrong, i and my cousin brothers had not consumed any of the beer in the mini-fridge as we had brought our own liquor (Chivas Regal and Vodka) and 2 cartons of heniken beer. So there is some errors in your data somewhere. Wrong info have been collected from staff and input in the data.

We told the staff that we were unaware of the procedure of where we need to pay for mini-bar/fridge. It was really unfair to us as nobody bothered to inform us on this on the check in day. This information could have actually helped the situation a lot.

Next a staff named Luther said “you have to pay up, you have no choice. I am sure you have been to hotels before”, this is normal thing for hotels. “

But my comment to him, “You can’t assume that every guest that checks into a hotel is aware about the mini-bar/fridge matter “, there can be guests who might be going to a hotel for the first time in their lives. What I am trying to say, is that The information given to the guests at the point of hotel check in is important and makes it clears to the guests of the do’s , don’ts and any procedures. This gives the guests the clear picture of their privileges and benefits.

Luther said “ I understand , but u have to pay up. If you don’t pay up , we will pass the info to the Immigrations Authorities “ . For me this was very threatening and rude. Is this how Harris staff are trained to talk to guests?

We told staff that we have no money and can’t pay up. And we actually have to take a ferry later at 5.20pm. The next question that Luther asked us “If you say you have no money, then how are you going to buy the ferry tickets later? I am sure you have money for all this right. “

My cousin Chandra segar told him we already bought the tickets beforehand however Luther was not satisfied and demanded us to show the tickets. My cousin took out the tickets and showed it to Luther. These words by Luther show that the staff doesn’t trust the guest and was very disrespectful to the guest.

Intitally we had planned to go for a short shopping spree at Mega mall which is situated near to harris hotel before we board the ferry at 5.20pm.

Becos We had argument with Luther untill 4.45pm and time was running out. in the end we paid up $66.00 (Singapore dollars). We were truly had a bad service experience with your staff Luther.It really ended my day on a sour note. Firstly he was very rude and not understanding at all. Basically from our conservation with him, he is only interested in the payment of the bill. I was taken back on his assumption that guests should be aware of the mini bar/fridge matter.

For your note: Last year, I came to batam with my family and stayed at Planet Holiday Hotel. Upon check in at the hotel, the staff clearly explained to me the usage of the mini bar/fridge – their procedure consist of locking up the fridge in a closet – kind cupboard so if the guest wish to use the mini bar /fridge they may inform reception to unlock the mini bar /fridge and following that the guest will charged accordingly to the consumption of the drinks

But in your hotel, nobody or staff explained to us like how Plant Holiday hotel staff did. If that had been done initially, there would have been a misunderstanding or confusion between the staff and the guests.

Information is vital in the service line industry.

Overall I was very disappointed with the way your staff Luther talked to us. I really felt taken back on his assumption on things. I thought of coming back to your hotel somewhere at the later part of the year. But because of this experience, I don’t think I will come back and will not also recommend to my friends or relatives to stay at your hotel.

I hope you can look into this matter and re-train your staff in the service aspect. U might want to re-consider about giving the guests the vital information upon their hotel check in.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
General Manager H, General Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Mr Thevan.

Cheers from Harris Hotel Batam Center, the new “Hotspot right in the Center”

First of all, thank you very much for your comment about the incident you experienced in HARRIS Hotel Batam Center on the 19th of March 2012. We definitely consider the misunderstanding you copied with the receptionist about the payment of the mini bar consumption.

After investigation with the front office team, it appears it was our responsibility to communicate to our guests that client will be charge for some items proposed in our 171 rooms. Thus, our room division trainee has been reinforced, for check in, our guests will be inform more in details about our free and chargeable services.

On the top of that, about the incident which happened with one of our player, our training dedicated to manage complain has been improved and reinforced for 2013. Monitored by our Human Ressources department, the training will be apply to all our operational department, I will assist it personally.

I will really hope you will understand your input has been strongly consider, and actions have been taken. Guest satisfaction is one of HARRIS Hotels priority.

Dear Mr. Thevan, I stay at your full disposal if you need any furthermore information, and will be delighted to welcome you in my hotel for your next visit. It will give the opportunity for my new team to provide you the excellent service we deliver to all our guests.

Harrisly yours.
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

The hotel is located just next to the ferry terminal. So it is very convenient. When we reached the hotel, we were greeted with welcome drinks and hot towel..the hot towel was really what we need after a hot day out in the sun. :) The staff were great, they speak English well and even shared with us about some promotions that they have. And no hard selling, which is great!

The only thing I was disappointed with was that I have specifically requested for high floor but was told that we had to wait for close to 2 hours. So in the end, we had to settle for the 2nd floor.

The room was decent, clean and there's great TV channels! I also tried the massage. Great! Love it.. Just the location wasn't great.. and nothing much at Batam Centre either.

Room Tip: Get the massage. They are good.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
General Manager H, General Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Harris Fans,

Cheers from Harris Hotel Batam Center, the new “Hotspot right in the Center”

Thank you very much for your positive feedback concerning your recent stay.

We are delighted to have you staying with us and we are extremely glad that you enjoyed your stay at our unique property.

We are definitely to hear about your room arrangement inconvenience. All the room requests are subjected to the room availability of the day. This disturbance has been informed to the related departments, they fully took into consideration this point to be improved.

Once again thank you so much for your genuine feedback and looking forward welcoming you back at our Hotel soon.

Harrisly Yours,

Been to Harris Hotel Batam Center? Share your experiences!