“Refreshing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Harris Hotel Batam Center

Save Saved
You added Harris Hotel Batam Center to your Saves list
Harris Hotel Batam Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Engku Putri, Riau Islands Province 29641, Indonesia   |
Offers & Announcements
FREE BREAKFAST FOR 2
Ranked #2 of 66 hotels in Batam
Kuala Lumpur
“Refreshing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

The hotel is almost brand new as it was opened just recently. Strategically located besides the ferry terminal thus will give convenience if you travel by ferry. Across the hotel is the Megamall, so finding food and some entertainment are quite easy but the Mall is not as vibrant than the one in Nagoya. You will get two views option, city view or sea view. The sea view will be a better choice. The room is modern and minimalist. If you can't stand the colorful interiors then this is not the place. It uses lots of orange, green and multicolored carpet, not the typical mono color in most business hotels. The room is clean and fresh, reasonable in size with all the basic amenities - flat screen TV, fridge, coffee making facilities. Sleep quality is good as very minimal noise eventhough my room was facing the city side. I personally don't like the location of pool which is just outside the coffee house/restaurant - unless you don't mind being watched by other guests having meal while you're swimming. Breakfast choice is average and nothing unique. Staff are friendly and available to assist you. Good stay overall but too quiet for me but don't mind staying there again though

Room Tip: Ger the sea view
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
General Manager H, General Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, November 26, 2011
Dear Harris Fans,
Cheers from Harris Hotel Batam Center, A new lifestyle is born right in the Center
Thanks a million for staying with us and we are delighted having your genuine feedback.
Indeed we are creating a unique lifestyle for everyone with our simple, unique and friendly concept.
We have well noted your constructive comments concerning our breakfast and we are really adding more items especially indonesian ones.
For your information we have implemented every Friday night our Yummy Noodles and sate night by the Pool with our DIsc Jockey and Fire Flair Dancers. On Saturdays we are having the BBQ nite with Pool party.
Looking forward welcoming You back to our property the soonest.

467 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

I am a fan of Harris resort. So when the new Harris hotel opened in Batam Center, I had to try it.
My wife and I enjoyed ourselves. It is a quiet getaway and there were no children running around when we were there. Batam center was just a 3 minute's walk away. We hopped over to the cinema for a movie after dinner. There is free WiFi at the hotel lobby so bring your Ipads!
If you are looking for a short quiet getaway, this is it. We even extended our stay by another day. As usual, the hotel was very accommodating. The staffs were generally warm and friendly. They even hi-5 us every time they see us. As usual, Harris always made us feel welcome. We will be back again soon.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
General Manager H, General Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
Dear Harris Fans,
Cheers from the Harris Hotel Batam Center, A new lifestyle is born right in the center.
Thank you a million for Being a Harris Fan for so many years.
First of all we would like to thank you so much for staying with us and we are so glad that you had enjoyed your stay.
Indeed Harris Hotel Batam Center is not an ordinary Hotel is a unique lifestyle right in the center of the town, providing wide range of unique services, like free wifi in the cars, in the property, ipad check in, dreamazing bed by King Koil, in residence Disco Jockey, Harris Move and Harris dance.
We are just a minute away from the Maga Mall where there are plenty of shops and the best movie theatres in Batam.
Thank you once again for your genuine feedback and looking forward welcoming You back to experience the new lifestyle the soonest.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

We've been a fan of Harris since the opening at Batam Water front. We've been there thrice in fact...Indeed my late dad loved it soo much...The last time we visited was in 2007.

When Harris Batam opened...it was an eye-epener all over again! I guess when the management walk-the-talk thus the effect ripples down to all staff. I even had a small talk with the General Manager, Mr Koureas what amazing work he had done!!!

I found the hotel to be warm and welcoming, vibrant too! After staying at various hotels on our occasional family trip, Harris hotel was still our choice - Room was tastefully done-up, service was excellent, easy access to ferry terminal & Mega Mall, lots of channels to watch on TV not forgetting Wifi is great especially when you need to get connected via the internet.

psst - the Batagor opposite the hotel cost only RP7000 (SGD $1) and sate 20 sticks only $4!!! It's nice too! Where in Spore you can get that kind of price?!

During that visit, I witnessed how the staff have reacted when a 3 year old kid accidently fell into the swiming pool. Did'nt get the name though... He rushed over and even offer ice cream to the startled little kid. It was so comforting to note that the staff was not only friendly but also ensure the safety of all guests are their top priority!

Loved their jiggety-jig dance every 3 hours or so but was too shy to participate hahaha...however I guess the management can look into the long waiting time during checking out. I was in the queue but was being 'cut' twice by inconsiderate guests (without even saying sorry). Sadly, the staff on duty attended to them even though they saw me there...but hey, since I'm in a vacation - shall not spoil my mood. My room 115 was chocked twice and was attended tor promptly - even when i called at 6.15am in the morning!

Overall - two thumbs up!!! Please consider these feedbacks as a constructive ones...(should any Harrisian stumbled upon this)

Wonder if Harris Batam Center provide membership rate for fans like us? We'd love to come again since its sooo near to Singapore.

Given the praise-worthy experience, I certainly recommend Harris Hotel Batam Center to all my friends and also business associates.

Lastly, Kudos to your team and thank you again for the 'blue-chip' experience !!!

Missed them already!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
General Manager H, General Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Dear Harris Fans,
Cheers from Harris Hotel Batam Center , a new Lifestyle is born right in the Center....
We would like to thank you so much for your excellent comments and we are so glad that you had enjoyed your stay with us. Indeed we are trying our very best to satisfy our Harris Fans by delivering service from the Heart.
Your input for the check in and check out has been really taken in consideration and we will try our best to improve it the soonest.
For your information our Fitness Center will be ready by the end of November and our swimming pool furniture are already here.
Looking forward welcoming You back to the Harris Hotel Batam Center in the near future.
General manager-Harris Hotel Batam Center
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011 via mobile

I booked a 2d 1n stay from deals.com to see what this new hotel has to offer.
Upon arrival @ 12.30 bt time, I found the hotel clean and the staff friendly.
I then proceeded to check in ,and confirm with them that I wanted a double bed and an extra bed for my son as I had stated when I booked the roiom. I was told to come back at 2 because my room wasn't ready. So I took my family over to mega mall just diagonally opposite the hotel for lunch.
I came back @about 2 and was given the keycards to my room upon opening the door there was 2single beds . Called reception to explain that, this is not what I had booked and was told to come down to do a change. This time I got a sea facing room with a kingsize bed. I then went down to have afternoon tea that was included in the deal.
Afternoon tea selection was limited to about 5-6 variation of pastries , coffee and tea. Halfway thru tea the music was turned up and the staffs there took center stage and performed a dance routine .
After tea @ about 3 + went back to the room , called reception to see when the extra bed was coming in and was told to wait awhile longer because they were busy. 15 min later, room service came and set up the bed .It was felt a little bit flimsy and creaky but overall , it did not collapse when my son slept that night.
Went out for dinner (btw there are some makeshift food stalls that only open @night just opposite the hotel for those adventurous), came back to the hotel for and evening swim with my son and found the pool water a bit cloudy with paper and plastic bags in the pool .(maybe other guest left them behind) But the staff was nice because I asked them for towels and they brought big orange pool towels for me and my son.
Went back to the room , and after turning off the tv I notice that the speaker in the ceiling above the doorway
of the room was piping in music and there was no switch to turn it off. Called reception and the music was turned off within afew min.
@about 12.30am the room phone rang waking me from sleep , and the staff on the line was trying to tell me that the food ordered was out of stock. I told them they got the wrong room and they apologize , after ending the call ,the pipe in music return. I called reception and this time i was told the technical dept was looking into it. The music went off after a min and sleep resumed.
Breakfast spread was normal about 20 -30 varieties like porridge, bee hoon, steam rice, cereal, bread, the usual.
Checkout time was a bit of a hassle because of language barrier. From what I understand , when I checked in they asked me for my credit card and aked me to sign for a deposit 500,000rp for the room to be refunded upon check out , then they said that part of the deposit was going to be use to pay the charges for my son's extra bed ,meals and ferry ticket which is 387,000rp and the balance re-credited to my card. I told them why not they cancel the deposit and I pay them cash as stated in the online deal. They could not undetstand what I was saying , so I gave up.
I then had lunch in the hotel that was included in the online deal. The spread was limited to steam rice or mee goreng with 5-6 side dishes. After the meal the reception staff came to me and requested my credit card again saying from what I understand is that they forgot to charge me my son's extra bed , meals and ferry ticket of 387,000rp . I sign for it and now waiting to see if I was double charged for my son.

Overall ,
The hotel is clean (New)
The staff friendly (always greeting you with "Cheers !" and the occasional high 5"
Food is ok if you are not picky and don't expect too much. If it don't suit you the mall is nearby.

A good place to go switch off and rest if sleeping and lazying on the bed is your thing.

"Cheers !"

• Stayed November 2011
General Manager H, General Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, November 9, 2011
Dear Harris Fans,
Cheers from the Harris Hotel Batam Center, a new lifestyle is born right in the center...
Thank you so much for your genuine feedback which is much appreciated.
We have well noted your constructive comments , especially the language barrier which we are really working hard on it for immediate improvement.
We have opened on the 5th of November 2011 and some minor technical issues have been appeared which by now have all been solved.
I will personally check your credit card issue and rest assured that has not been double charged.
We are now having our fitness center ready , and in room spa. By end of November our Spa, reflexology and Nail art studio will be in operations.
Indeed we are proud of our breakfast which is the highlight of our Harris Cafe.
Once again thank you for staying with us and looking forward welcoming You back to the New life style right in the center.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Heartfelt thanks to the General Manager, Mr Stylianos who made me feel so at home during my stay from the 5th to 7th Nov 2011.

Room Tip: sea facing room!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Harris Fans,

Cheers from Harris Hotel Batam Center, a new life style is born right in the Center

We would like to thank you so much for staying with us and especially we are so glad that you had enjoyed your stay.
Thank you for the compliments. We are trying our best to provide our service from the Heart to our Harris Fans with a Unique, Simple and Friendly concept.
Looking forward welcoming You to the New Lifestyle Experience once again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Harris Hotel Batam Center is located just beside the ferry terminal. This is our first visit and yet we spotted the hotel the moment we stepped out of the ferry onto the jetty (See first photo taken from the jetty). After clearing immigration, we only had to walk a few steps to the hotel.

The moment we stepped into Harris Hotel Batam Center, smiling staff approached us shouting "Cheers!" and giving us their signature High-fives. Don't be alarmed as this is their unique way of greeting guests - and even their own colleagues. There is a very unique culture in Harris Hotel Batam Center. You don't get fake smiles and overly formal actions from them. You instantly recognise that they enjoy their work there and they have fun while working. More on this later.

The management staff of the hotel were all walking around greeting guests and making sure that everything is in order. We were immediately checked in and ushered to our room. The room assigned to us was cosy and most importantly, very clean. It was a sea-view room and we could see the pool below us as well as the sea further out! A cake in the shape of a house, which I specially requested as a surprise, was on the table bearing the unit number of the flat that Lynden and I were going to be staying in a couple of years time. Thanks to Chef Rudi for accommodating such a special request in such a short notice! Room had sufficient Wi-Fi coverage - we detected two access points from our room on the 5th floor!

We left the room reluctantly and headed for the cafe for a late lunch (Almost 3pm Batam Time). F&B staff Sri, who attended to us (as well as for the rest of our stay) was very friendly and cheerful. While we were enjoying our lunch, the in-house DJ, who plays music the entire day up to 11pm at night, started playing an uptempo track and instantly, all the staff gathered in the center of the cafe and began to dance! We soon came to realise that this is done quite often throughout the day and I think it keeps the staff happy, motivated and active to be able to take a few minutes off their work to have such fun. We were invited to join in the dance but being shy, we politely declined and continued dining while filming their dance on my camera.

We went back to our room after lunch, lazed around and I soon left the room with an excuse to go to the frontdesk and returned with a small bouquet of roses for Lynden. The hotel was very thoughtful in helping me with the preparation of surprises over email. I left the room again shortly with another excuse and headed for the kitchen. Chef Rudi was once again very accommodating and helped me with the ingredients for a salad in the shape of a heart as the third surprise for Lynden. I would like to convey my heartfelt thanks to Chef Rudi.

There was supposed to be a BBQ dinner that evening but heavy rain prevented it from happening. Instead, the chefs did the barbeque in the kitchen and served the food in the cafe. We loved the BBQ prawns the most. Once again, hotel management staff were on the ground ensuring that guests have a good time. We had a in-room massage scheduled at 9pm so we left the cafe soon to rest before the massage - yes you saw it right - in-room massage!

Nearing 9pm, two masseuses arrived at our door. We asked for a aromatherapy massage so they brought along the essential oils and such. We thoroughly enjoyed the massage which was done on our bed. We loved the fact that we did not have to walk to a spa to get the massage done. We even went to sleep right then and there after they left!

We had such a good sleep that we woke up late the next morning. I called the cafe and asked if they were strictly clearing the buffet at 10am sharp. The lady called me back and said that they would wait for us until 10:15am. We quickly showered and rushed down in time to get our breakfast. The hash brown was one the best we had! It was crispy on the outside and steaming hot on the inside. I would compare the standard to McDonald's (Singapore) hash browns on a good day! The breakfast menu was very good overall and they even have yoghurt to go along with fruits.

After breakfast, the hotel shuttle sent us to the nearby Megamall where we shopped at Matahari and Hypermart before returning to the hotel for lunch. Lunch was great too with plenty of fruits! They even have passion fruit (Which tastes different from the ones we have in Singapore and Malaysia)!
After lunch, we spent the rest of the day lazing in the room. Come dinner time, we knew it was going to be a BBQ dinner again and thankfully, the weather co-operated this time! There was even a very good fire performance by their very own staff - Did I tell you that the Harris staff are so talented that they do not even have to engage external performers? Their chefs barbequed food on the spot and there is even a hand-made noodle station serving very good and spicy noodles with the noodles made right in front of us! There was a party after dinner all the way until midnight. We stayed for a little but the heavy dinner had better of us and we retired to our room before the party ended.

Wanting to try their room service, we called them and ordered an apple pie ala mode and kiwi juice to be served at the stroke of midnight (Don't ask me why!). Minutes before midnight, our doorbell rang and we had our apple pie ala mode and juice as supper. Oh so sinful!

Breakfast on the last day! Menu slightly different. No more hash browns but replaced with pom pom potatoes which seems similar to bagedils and nice nevertheless. As we were too full to try the omelette, scrambled eggs and pancakes the day before, we had them this time round. The staff were also willing to accommodate my request for egg-white omelettes!

An hour after breakfast, we headed down to the pool for a swim (finally). Spent an hour there before we went up to shower and pack our luggage. We had a late check out so we went to the cafe for (ala-carte) lunch. She had a H-Burger which comes with a big 150g of chicken patty and I had Bolognese pasta. We then headed to the frontdesk to settle the bill and then headed up to our room to spend the last few minutes there before being shuttled to the Ferry Terminal.

To conclude my review, I must thank the Harris Management and Staff for inviting us and giving us such a great time. If you are going to be there soon, get ready to high-five all staff you meet for the duration of your stay! Do not forget to try their in-room massage and room service. They don't cost as much as you think - I promise you.

Room Tip: Get the sea-view room!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
General Manager H, Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Dear Harris Fans,
We are delighted that you had enjoyed your stay with us and also you have been amazed with the hotel services and the great location of our property.
Once again we would like to highlight that we are creating a unique lifestyle for everyone, our Harris Players( Employees), Harris Fans(Our Guests) and the community.
Thank you so much for giving us your extremely valuable feebback and looking forward to having You back again really soon.
Stylianos Koureas- General Manager
Harris Hotel Batam Center
gm@harris-batam-center.com
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011 via mobile

Had an opportunity to try out the hotel during its dry run recently. The hotel is conveniently located next to the ferry terminal and right across the mall, so there was no need to worry about transfers.
From the surprising and infectious 'Hi-Five' greeting on arrival to the personalized service attention from the staff and excellent F&B service, I cannot find any fault with the hotel.
Overall, it was an wonderful stay and well worth every minute spent on the island.

• Stayed October 2011
General Manager H, Manager at Harris Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Cheers from the unique lifestyle right in the Center.
Dear Harris Fans,
We are delighted to get your review even during our Dry Run.
Indeed our vision is to create a unique lifestyle for our Harris Players(employees), Harris Fans (our Guests) and the community.
I believe this vision has been well communicated and implemented among our Dynamic Team.
Location is a real advantage especially the proximity to The Batam Center International Ferry Terminal and the Mega Mall.
Thank you so much for appreciating our food, i will convey your positive comments to our Chef.
Looking forward to having You back in the very near future,
We are opening on the 5th November.
gm@harris-batam-center.com

Been to Harris Hotel Batam Center? Share your experiences!