“Looks can indeed be deceiving!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of KTM Resort - Batam

You added KTM Resort - Batam to your Saves list
KTM Resort - Batam
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jl. Kolonel Soegiono | Tg. Pinggir - Sekupang, Riau Islands Province, Indonesia   |
Ranked #25 of 77 Hotels in Batam
Singapore, Singapore
“Looks can indeed be deceiving!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Ok, here I was trying to getaway for a couple of days and was toggling between Indonesia and Thailand. Finally, I settled for Indonesia. I just returned from a 3D2N stay at KTM Resort.

Here are my feedback:

1) Ambiance and the serenity was great.

2) The food was alright

3) I took a package with Spa Villa - the massage was great but it was shoddy. Have you ever heard of a full body massage where your front thighs and legs are not massaged? Neither did I until I experienced it myself. When I questioned them, the masseur insisted that she did do it. Being in a foreign country, I shut up and left. So when you book the package massage, be thorough and enquire all the details

4) KTM Resort service sucks big time!
On the second day morning, I had gone out and the room service had gone in to prep up my room. That was fine. But what was flabbergasting was that when I cam back to the room, my room door was left WIDE OPEN!!!! All my stuff were still there but my point is, which moron in his right frame of mind would leave the guest's room door wide open? This upset me a great deal - thank god I was carrying all my valuables with me!

5) The check-out process was the most hilarious and bewildering! I had been using my credit card a couple of times already during the trip and had no problems. When I gave the reception my card at checkout she took it, swiped it (rather inserted it) and came back to me to say it didn't work. I of course told her to try again because it could be due to the phoneline connection but she insisted that I give her another card. But I didn't carry another. So she went sought the help of another staff and that guy completed my transaction in seconds. So much for staff's knowledge and training.

6) The restaurant has a menu that does not allow for any customisation. So if you don't like the items on the menu, don't ask the waiters for alternatives or any modifications because firstly, the waiters are so dumb that they cannot understand and secondly, they have no initiative to want to verify with guest's orders. So save yourselves from the hassle and worry. Just carry some cup noodles as back up.

7) The rooms are generally clean. It is small but compact. Only that the air-con vent is positioned directly in such a way that the cool air hits your head and face. For those of you who have sinus issues, watch this.

8) On the second night, there was some private party for a group of Indonesian locals. At 10pm, some of them started playing with firecrackers. When I complained to the reeption, because it was being fired just below my 'hut', they refused to ask these guests to stop. Furthermore, the reception told me to 'not go to bed until midnight' since that was when it would end. Have anyone heard of such a thing?

So on a scale of 1 to 10, my overall rating for KTM resort would be 2.

Room Tip: The rooms were all pretty much like cottages. I took the Beach Front Cottage meant for 2 people. The...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

A group of us did a weekend stay at KTM last week.

We paid something like $59 for it, thru an agency. it comes with 1 free bread first, 1 hour of massage and a day tour in Batam. We reach Batam ferry point about 11am and by the time we reach KTM itself is's almost 7pm.

Well the KTM resort stay is acceptable for me. it looks to me that all if not most of the chalets are built along a steep slope, and if you can, avoid chalet number with 5XX, 4XX, 3XX - it's a steep up slope climb! Best if you can book those with 2XX or 1XX better!

It's a quiet place to unwind and do some self reflection.

Would I want to return to KTM, YES of course but this time i would skipp the day tour and ask for chalet number with 1XX - save me the steep climbing!

Yes, from the beach front you could spot MBS clearly!

Room Tip: Avoid chalet number with 5XX, 4XX, 3XX - it's a steep up slope climb! Best if you can book those...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

whereby there's no beaches for us to swim?
or sands to play around with?

my friend and I, we're in our mid-20's, and people like us, we want a simple thing.
which is wifi.
oh yeah, you CAN connect to their wifi network.
but guess what?
IT DOESN'T EVEN LOAD FACEBOOK OR TWITTER!
Might as well said no wifi. Dash Dot Dash -> -.-

The swimming pool is filled with algae.
The breakfast is ok for a 2days 1night trip.
The pool table is closed.
Room is ok cuz it's just the both of us.

But this is not a resort.
Cuz there's no beach. -.-"
I would call this maybe, a hotel by the seaside view.
A Cottage Hotel.

But front office staffs were quite friendly.
And the restaurant staffs were friendly too.
Drivers were friendly.
So is the housekeeping staffs.

Ya....

-Ridzky V

• Stayed February 2013
Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We were there for a Family Holiday consists of 2 kids & 2 adults.
Start from our arrival, as usual have tow ait for check in time @ 2pm.... No activities for kids, the kids was jumping around coz they are sooooo bored.... Sweating and the env was so hot no fans install around the Sports Bar area and the Pool Table was closed. They called it Sports Bar but there's NOTHING only a sofa..
To our disappointment we were given a a so called Deluxe Cottage that fits our no of people and the moment we enter t bedrooom OMG there's only a QUEEN SIZE Bed.....How are we going to sleep but we make do coz we cant be bothered to call the REception.
After half hour it came to our attention that our Departure time has not been confirmed at the Reception counter as they are in hurry.
So we called the Reception, and we were shocked THEY arranged for our departure to be at 6.30pm the next day. This is not my 1st time to be in Batam and as norm other resort will give us a time option. But for this REsort CHOSED for our..
The check out time is 12pm and our Depsrture is 6.30 so what can we do in THIS resort during those hours.So we called again and this time lots of ppl giving diff theory..We stil stick to our time.
2nd day: Kids are sooo excited to go swimming so thy are prepared, We went for Breakfast 1st thn we proceed to the Swimming Pool..To our shocked(please refer to the Pictures for the Swimming Pool Image) we were informed by one of the guests that its a Seawater swimming pool but that doesnt matter, Around the wall of the Swiimg Pool is a thick Algae....They dont maintain the swimming pool @ all.. And at last we request for an early check out @ 10.45am and our Departure is 11.10am to our shocked when we getting out Boarding Pass we were told by the counter that our Departure time is 12.45pm instead of 6.30pm.

Imagine we dont insist on going back early we would have miss the Ferry.
KTM Resort have a communication Breakdown. They should consider changing lots of things and pay more attention to customer interest.

Room Tip: None i dont have any tip only if you do not like walking up a hill Request for a lower level resort...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

(1) Taxi from Sekupang ferry terminal charged sgd10 for the shortest trip to the so called Resort;
(2) On arrival, no smiles, nothing from the front office, I have to repeatedly inform them of my name, passing from one to another person, finally to a Supervisor, they cannot find my booking, so, I showed the booking confirmation email I received from their reservation@ktmresort.com, again passed on to the Manager who came out, again wanted to see the booking confirmation, by this time, my iPad is flat out of battery, so they went off debating over whether my booking is from late booking or booking.com, leaving me behind, waiting.
(3) Finally, I was asked to go over the front office, telling me to fill out a form, then asked me to wait. By this time, am really frustrated and of course, tired without lunch yet at 3 pm, so I asked why do I have to wait? She said got to prepare the room, to which I said it is already 3, check-in time is 2pm, why do I need to wait? She did not answer, instead told the supervisor of my questions and without looking at me, nor answer me, basically ignored me by both busied themselves at the counter (they are total of 5 ppl, none care about my situation,with one other guest only, being served) and so, I went off to sit down, then the Supervisor merely asked me to go over again, passed me the breakfast vouchers and said that driver will drive me to the room, without a word of apology for all the waiting, no eye contact and of course, no offer of welcome drink, sitting nearby - NOTHING.
(4) While waiting for the shuttle minivan, I was asked by a young Indo man, seemed like a concierge (definitely not from front office) who wanted to carry my backpack: whether I booked my room late, to which I said "yesterday" but the fact that I get booking confirmation from their email account, my booking cannot be denied or caused any inconveniences to me. He explained that booking came late for them. I did not accept this and said that this shouldn't be first incident and they should have rectified it, having in operation, not recently, but years, I believe. And I climbed into the waiting minivan, wondering why would a concierge asked me and explained while the front office girl and Supervisor had no explanation, NOTHING at all...
(5) Reached ROom D311, shocked to see it is a SMALL wooden square BOX without balcony and faced basketball court at the door, and inner side, has no window, side window can see some hill below and construction with tractor - HEY, I booked BEACHFRONT COTTAGE, with balcony for a HEFTY USD354 included service charge and taxes for 2 nights! Where is the beach? Called the reception, line cut off before the girl managed to transfer to manager, which resulted to me calling again. Now, what did the manager said?

He said:

(A) He has given me a bigger room ("a deluxe") which can put an extra bed

(B) All beachfront cottage is sold out

(C) He has informed booking.com that booking at their Resort is closed, don't know why my booking is confirmed, despite their notice.

My reply was:

(A) No, D311 is not a bigger room, coz beside the double bed, there is no space, definitely cannot put an extra bed. And for sure, I don't need an extra bed because I am staying ALONE, why would I need extra bed?

(B)& (C) I received booking confirmation. And I booked beachfront cottage with balcony. And given the high price I am willing to pay, I want my booking be honored, internal issues of bookings are are their problems, solve it, don't tell me (note: what he said is different from the concierge man said earlier).

He finally said he will check if anyone is checking out today to give me the beachfront cottage. I said no, am checking out, he has to get driver to send me back to terminal for free. He said ok. No word of apology, no word of feeling bad for such inconveniences, again NOTHING.

Yes, thei driver came in abt 5 min, and I passed back the keycard etc thru driver. Thats it.

Did you "see" any guest service? Nothing, except the free transport back to ferry, for which I asked for.

Better stay away, there are good reasons why they get lots of bad reviews than good, and got to resolve to getting guest by offering deal or groupon voucher to sustain their business. Don't trust anything the staff said, or even the print confirmation. They spoilt my getaway holiday!!!!

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We (My Fiancé and I) bought coupons from deal.com.sg for a 2 day 1 night stay at KTM resort. We were greeted by the KTM Friendly driver at the Terminal after custom clearance and ushered to their minibus. The resort is only about 10 to 15 minutes ride away from Sekupang Terminal.

The first thing that we saw when we enter the resort was this huge Chinese Goddess Statue head which I could only assume is one of the attraction in the resort. The resort was still in the middle of developing as we could see several constructions materials around and places being roped off.

The friendly driver dropped us off at the lobby where we checked in to the resort. Check in in my opinion took quite some time, the receptionist actually asked us to pay for some admin fees which is about 6 SGD/pax and return Ferry admin Fee which is about 7/pax and then asked us for the 3rd time for a 50 sgd deposit, and we had to dig for our wallet 3 times. =.= Not a big deal but maybe they could have asked us for 1 lump sum to save us the hassle.

The Friendly driver as we got used to calling him, drove us uphill to our deluxe cottage which we were upgraded to. We're very much grateful to him, as dragging the luggage uphill for a distance wasn't a joke. The driver also asked us what time we intended to go to Nagoya mall, in which we chose 3pm and he promised to drop by our cottage to pick us up.

The cottage was quite cosy, the air-con took a while to cool the room down. We checked out the swimming pool, but to our disappointment, the pool were dirty and the side of the pool were smeared with grime.

We waited outside at 255pm and we saw the minibus drove past the cottages straight to the entrance.. without us... O.O but a few seconds later the bus suddenly made a return and the Friendly driver smiled at us sheepishly and told us he almost forgot about us! We laughed about it and were grateful for making the U-turn back for us.

Dinnertime, we made our way down by foot to their seafood restaurant. Quite a distance downhill. Food were average, hospitality and sincerity were great. On the way back, we manage to find a shortcut climbing stairs through other cottages instead of trudging uphill.

Next morning, it was raining quite heavily and we were stuck in the cottage without umbrellas. Wanting our free breakfast, we then realized the hotel staffs had been cruising the cottages in their respective cars/minivans for us stranded hungry people. Another sincerity up points for them! We were picked up by Friendly driver again and after breakfast, another kind hotel staff drop us at our cottage.

While trudging out to check out halfway downhill to the lobby, who should appear again, our friendly driver picked us up and drove us down.

Quite a mixed experience, a simple cosy resort with the need to clean up their pool. And the driver left us with quite an impression.

The resort should be more suitable for groups of friends rather than romantic getaway or family getaways.

P.S. there is a basketball court there in which would be great for groups of friends.

Room Tip: Ask for the cottages with sea views, they are nearer the lobby and you wouldn't have to walk so...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Got a 2d1n stay deal coupon for $48 and much as reservations was a hassle, but then again, it was also partly my fault as T&C stated that reservations need to be booked 7 days in advance, I gave them only about 3 days notice. So, I was left frantically checking my emails the day before of intended departure. Many thanks to the reservations officer for tolerating my incessant emails!

As mentioned by other reviewers, the ride from the ferry terminal to the hotel was bumpy! It is only about 3km away but it's hell of a bumpy ride!

Once there, check-in was very smooth, they took our white cards to make return ferry bookings for us. It felt like there were only 3 groups in the resort, perhaps reason being it's a weekday afterall. Super quiet. We were the only ones taking the shuttle bus from ferry terminal to resort, from resort to Nagoya and from resort back to ferry terminal over the last 2 days.

No frills place. At least the seafront cottage was clean and airconditioned, and there's no sign of lizards!! Another good thing was that, I can manage to get Singapore's reception from the room, however, 3G signal was intermittant. Didnt expect it to come without water heater though! Sink drainage was an issue as well. Mattress was a tad too soft but at least the blanket was warm enough for the powerful airconditioning.

The deal came with set breakfast each, but took a long time for them to prepare! And the flies were always ready to attack your food.

After checkout, we had about 3 hours to waste before taking the bus to the ferry terminal. Went to do a 1-hour massage. Pay in SGD, it's more worth it. I paid using the rupiah I had left and the exchange rate they provided wasnt good. Massage huts were wonderful with the sea view. Massage skills, not too bad. Though I'd rather have the girl exercise her iron fingers on my back instead of my head.

Overall, do not expect too much from this place. And most likely, I'd go back for the spa only.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to KTM Resort - Batam? Share your experiences!