“Weekend Getaway at KTM” 4 of 5 stars
Review of KTM Resort - Batam

Save Saved
You added KTM Resort - Batam to your Saves list
KTM Resort - Batam
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jl. Kolonel Soegiono | Tg. Pinggir - Sekupang, Riau Islands Province, Indonesia   |
Ranked #33 of 69 hotels in Batam
“Weekend Getaway at KTM”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We (My Fiancé and I) bought coupons from deal.com.sg for a 2 day 1 night stay at KTM resort. We were greeted by the KTM Friendly driver at the Terminal after custom clearance and ushered to their minibus. The resort is only about 10 to 15 minutes ride away from Sekupang Terminal.

The first thing that we saw when we enter the resort was this huge Chinese Goddess Statue head which I could only assume is one of the attraction in the resort. The resort was still in the middle of developing as we could see several constructions materials around and places being roped off.

The friendly driver dropped us off at the lobby where we checked in to the resort. Check in in my opinion took quite some time, the receptionist actually asked us to pay for some admin fees which is about 6 SGD/pax and return Ferry admin Fee which is about 7/pax and then asked us for the 3rd time for a 50 sgd deposit, and we had to dig for our wallet 3 times. =.= Not a big deal but maybe they could have asked us for 1 lump sum to save us the hassle.

The Friendly driver as we got used to calling him, drove us uphill to our deluxe cottage which we were upgraded to. We're very much grateful to him, as dragging the luggage uphill for a distance wasn't a joke. The driver also asked us what time we intended to go to Nagoya mall, in which we chose 3pm and he promised to drop by our cottage to pick us up.

The cottage was quite cosy, the air-con took a while to cool the room down. We checked out the swimming pool, but to our disappointment, the pool were dirty and the side of the pool were smeared with grime.

We waited outside at 255pm and we saw the minibus drove past the cottages straight to the entrance.. without us... O.O but a few seconds later the bus suddenly made a return and the Friendly driver smiled at us sheepishly and told us he almost forgot about us! We laughed about it and were grateful for making the U-turn back for us.

Dinnertime, we made our way down by foot to their seafood restaurant. Quite a distance downhill. Food were average, hospitality and sincerity were great. On the way back, we manage to find a shortcut climbing stairs through other cottages instead of trudging uphill.

Next morning, it was raining quite heavily and we were stuck in the cottage without umbrellas. Wanting our free breakfast, we then realized the hotel staffs had been cruising the cottages in their respective cars/minivans for us stranded hungry people. Another sincerity up points for them! We were picked up by Friendly driver again and after breakfast, another kind hotel staff drop us at our cottage.

While trudging out to check out halfway downhill to the lobby, who should appear again, our friendly driver picked us up and drove us down.

Quite a mixed experience, a simple cosy resort with the need to clean up their pool. And the driver left us with quite an impression.

The resort should be more suitable for groups of friends rather than romantic getaway or family getaways.

P.S. there is a basketball court there in which would be great for groups of friends.

Room Tip: Ask for the cottages with sea views, they are nearer the lobby and you wouldn't have to walk so...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Got a 2d1n stay deal coupon for $48 and much as reservations was a hassle, but then again, it was also partly my fault as T&C stated that reservations need to be booked 7 days in advance, I gave them only about 3 days notice. So, I was left frantically checking my emails the day before of intended departure. Many thanks to the reservations officer for tolerating my incessant emails!

As mentioned by other reviewers, the ride from the ferry terminal to the hotel was bumpy! It is only about 3km away but it's hell of a bumpy ride!

Once there, check-in was very smooth, they took our white cards to make return ferry bookings for us. It felt like there were only 3 groups in the resort, perhaps reason being it's a weekday afterall. Super quiet. We were the only ones taking the shuttle bus from ferry terminal to resort, from resort to Nagoya and from resort back to ferry terminal over the last 2 days.

No frills place. At least the seafront cottage was clean and airconditioned, and there's no sign of lizards!! Another good thing was that, I can manage to get Singapore's reception from the room, however, 3G signal was intermittant. Didnt expect it to come without water heater though! Sink drainage was an issue as well. Mattress was a tad too soft but at least the blanket was warm enough for the powerful airconditioning.

The deal came with set breakfast each, but took a long time for them to prepare! And the flies were always ready to attack your food.

After checkout, we had about 3 hours to waste before taking the bus to the ferry terminal. Went to do a 1-hour massage. Pay in SGD, it's more worth it. I paid using the rupiah I had left and the exchange rate they provided wasnt good. Massage huts were wonderful with the sea view. Massage skills, not too bad. Though I'd rather have the girl exercise her iron fingers on my back instead of my head.

Overall, do not expect too much from this place. And most likely, I'd go back for the spa only.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I paid $145 for a 2D1N trip to Batam with a group of friends for a weekend getaway which also included a spa package. I was quite skeptical about the quality of the resort since the website reveal little information about it. Upon arrival, i was surprised by the breathe-taking view. The resort was a short 5 minutes drive from Sekupang terminal.

We stayed at the family cottage with a small living area and two bedrooms that came with a queen size bed and 2 single beds respectively. Nothing fantastic about the amenities though.  I would give a "good"for the overall cleanliness over there. And definitely a thumbs up for their service. The front desk staff was exceptionally polite and always wearing a smile. The driver who fetch us from the terminal was equally excellent as well. Overall, every staff except for the spa therapists are extremely service oriented and humble.

The masseurs are not really skillful and they gossip alot -kind of defeat the purpose of going to spa for some form of relaxation.

Next, we hired a cab to send us to the pretty famous "Golden Prawn Seafood Restaurant", price was affordable, not dirt cheap. Food wise, it was still acceptable. I couldnt fathom why so many people think it superb. Anyway, customers can make their own selection of seafood and the methods of cooking or if you are not sure, feel free to ask the staff for some advice. FYI, the uncle who serve patrons do know how to speak mandarin.

Mega mall Batam centre was the next stop we hit. A mainstream shopping mall with lots of security officers patrolling around. If you're looking for some local snacks, get it from the hypermarket at the basement. Its CHEAP.

Our dinner? We went to the long lost A&W restaurant to reminise our childhood memories. Then the same cabby drove us back to our "home" whom we paid SGD60 (cab fare for the day). We felt abit ripped off. But considering the effort that he took to bring us around the area to look for fresh homemade kueh lapis, we chose to overlook that.

Point to note before this article ends, if you are buying kueh lapis home, be sure to get it from the departure hall at the terminal at 120,000 rupiahs. Some place do sell the cakes at 200,000 rupiahs.  Dont get cheated!!

• Stayed October 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I visited KTM Resort with 2 other colleagues from 9 to 10 August 2012. I chose this resort as I know that I would be able to see the National Day fireworks from the restaurant in the resort. Indeed, I could see the fireworks but they were not as big as I thought they would be. The biggest disappointment came in the evening, when I was disturbed by mosquitoes in my room during my sleep. I got up a few times due to frustrations from the bites. As such, I do hope that the resort will look into this problem.

Also, 1 of my colleague said that the utensils in the restaurant were not very clean as they were quite oily. The breakfast was not very good too. Not much of a variety and they refilled the food quite slowly.

I do hope to see some improvement if I were to return to this resort.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the sea. You get nice cooling breezes.
Singapore, null, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Bought the $55 voucher from deal.com.sg for a 2D1N stay at this resort. In short, I get what I paid for, nothing more, nothing less.

The resort is located near Sekupang Ferry Terminal and took the hotel shuttle bus ~15 min to ferry us (my friend and I) from the terminal to the resort. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a surreal sight: a Chinese temple and a huge Goddess of Mercy statue - Yes, there is a Chinese temple and a huge Goddess of Mercy statue in the resort. In fact, Chinese sculptures and furnitures was placed throughout the resort alongside the more common resort fixtures, making the theme and deco of the resort a confusing mix.

For the room, we got a sea view villa, which is more like a mangrove view villa. The sea view villa faces a so-called lagoon, which is divided into two portions: the smaller portion nearer the villa looked like a dried up pond most of the time, while the larger portion next to the spa has a collection of large fishes. On the exterior, the sea view villa is designed to look like a small hut on wooden stilts, which is actually made of fire-glass and thus has a very 'Haw Par Villa' feel. On the interior, the villa was small with all the basic facilities in working condition. There's a small balcony that is shared with the neighboring room.

Just like other resort of its' type, the resort also had some amenities that're there for the sake of being there and were either unused or under renovation/maintenance. The swimming pool was under maintenance till Sept 2012, while the bar was empty and never open. The pool/billiard tables and the basketball court were all unused as well.

The restaurant offer some nice food during dinner but the buffet breakfast is not really anything to shout about. As for the staffs, they are very polite and provide adequate servides but not exactly the most on-the-ball types. A particular example is the chefs at the egg station during the breakfast buffet. Apparently, the chefs did not have any system of noting down orders, and were just politely acknowledging the orders while cooking whatever eggs they are able to, resulting in a a crowd of mostly clueless guests surrounding the station, waiting for their eggs.

The part about the resort though is that it has a good sea view. Also, there were sky lanterns and fireworks on sale at the convenience store. The sky lanterns and fireworks provided some type of entertainment for the quiet night in the resort, even if it was just watching the fireworks set off by other guests.

Overall, for a $55 offer (excluding custom tax), the resort deliver the right value. For those looking for some peace and quiet and do nothing, this can be an option. However, for those looking for finer stuff, you are better off paying more and looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: -Bigger villas were available but faces inwards from the sea. -Hang around the area next to spa vil...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Knowing that I would most likely be spending my birthday alone this year, my good friend, G, suggested a getaway trip to Batam just before my birthday. G had come across a steal on deal.com.sg at only $55 a night at KTM Resort. We decided that a 3D2N trip should be sufficient for a getaway. During booking, we were told that we will get an additional night free with the purchase of 2 nights. That's nice, I mean, who minds an additional night of free stay, right? So 4D3N it was to be.

Ardiansyah, the Assistant Room Division Manager, upgraded us to a Deluxe Cottage when he knew that this was going to be a little birthday celebration. He also arranged for an additional bed placed in our cottage free of charge when they could not accommodate our request for twin beds instead of a double. On top of this, he got us special rates for full body massages at Spa Villa which is run by an external party.

The day finally arrived and after clearing immigration at Sekupang, we saw the driver for the shuttle to KTM holding a sign with "KTM" clearly printed on it. We waited a little while before being ushered up on the air-conditioned mini bus. On the bus, we were annoyed at having to wait for another 10 to 15 minutes because this rowdy bunch of young men had neglected to complete their immigration paperwork. This is, of course, no fault of KTM but I was really annoyed by their attitude.

Thankfully, it was barely a 10-minute drive to KTM and I made it a point to be the first few passengers to alight from the bus. I just couldn't take the risk of having that group mess up their paperwork and delaying our check in if they were ahead of us in the queue. Check-in was a breeze for us and the front office staff were very polite. There was no deviation from the prior arrangements made and we were promptly given our access key. As our cottage is located quite a distance away, one of the shuttle bus drivers collected our luggage and sent us to the doorstep.

The room looked really small at first glance but that's probably because we have an extra bed in there. Truth is, we did not need a big room and this is just great and cosy. The air-conditioning took quite a while to cool down the room due to the extremely hot weather outside so we made it a point never to turn it off for the duration of our stay. As we have been assigned a corner unit, we have a nice little patio with a coffee table and two chairs outside. Perfect for a book and coffee! I brought along a electric traveler's stove and we cooked instant noodles in it for lunch. As I was feeling under the weather, I took a nap while G went out to the patio with a cup of coffee and a book (Kindle). Later in the afternoon, G and I walked to the restaurant where we had another meal and spent some time reading. The restaurant extends over a pier which provided the occasional sea wind and the sound of waves. The items on their menu were considered affordable. After that, we walked along the waterfront until we came to the row of Cabanas which made up Spa Villa. We were scheduled for massage at 9pm Batam Time so we returned to our cottage to shower and read our books before the session.

At 8:30pm, we made our way down to Spa Villa only to find the place in darkness. It was a Friday night and the resort is on low occupancy since most Singaporeans will only arrive on the following day. The office of Spa Villa was locked so we knocked at their staff room. After much gesturing and explaining in simple English, we found that the staff have not been informed of our reservation. All of the staff were already in their PJs getting ready to call it a day so we did not have the heart to pursue further. The staff were also very apologetic that we have come all the way only to have to leave disappointed. Since massage is off, we went to the restaurant to have our dinner and enjoy some cold Bintang beer. We chatted, listened to music and read our books before calling it a day. I took the double bed while G took the additional bed that was placed in the room. In return, I gave G the duvet and an extra pillow. Little did we know that we would be kept awake by mosquitoes for most of the night. At 2am, after being stung for the nth time, I decided that enough is enough. I got up, called the reception and told them of the problem. Within 10 minutes, a staff arrived in a motorbike and handed me a can of Lavender-scented insecticide. I took it gratefully and sprayed generously under the beds, tables, mini fridge and every nook and cranny of the room. It's no surprise that G and I didn't sleep well having to endure mosquitoes and for me, the bonus of a blocked nose.

Breakfast starts at 6:30am and ends at 9:30am. With a rather narrow timing like this, we had to get up rather early every morning to avoid missing breakfast. Breakfast for those few days were fried noodles/beehoon/rice, cornflakes, koko krunch, bread and some local kuehs.
We met up with Ardiansyah to find out about the confusion at Spa Villa the night before. We came to the conclusion that the Spa Villa management might not have informed the staff of our booking. Ardiansyah helped make ad-hoc arrangements for a massage session at 10am so that we have ample time to shower and catch the shuttle out to Nagoya at 1pm. The massage ended at 11am and because I felt sweaty and greasy after the massage, I took a shower while G continued reading until the shuttle arrived to fetch us to Nagoya.

At Nagoya, we had lunch and went shopping at the Hypermart. One of the most important things on our shopping list was the mosquito coils (incense). We got the "jumbo" version which lasts 10 hours. For safety, we also bought a special container to house the smouldering coil. One thing I like about Indonesia is the fact that certain medication can be bought off the shelf in the hypermart without prescription.

We returned to our room to find that a young couple in their early twenties, who were part of a bigger group, checked into the room directly beside ours. They created a din as they excitedly checked out each others' rooms while I tried to take a nap after popping some antihistamines. In the evening, we cooked instant kuay teow using the stove before we headed to Spa Villa for our hot stone back massage. When we returned, our neighbour and their friends were setting off fireworks. Amused, we brought out our bottle of red wine to the patio to watch them have fun. Due to the bad sleep the previous night coupled with the wine and relaxing massages, we called it a day. The sleep was better but we were kept awake by the constant sound of chatter and television from our neighbour. At 3:30am, I got frustrated and knocked sharply on the wall 3 times. This gave us a few minutes of silence as they switched off the television shortly after and the sounds I heard after that should be left to your imagination. Gosh.

Our third day was designated to be a whole day of book reading. After breakfast, we had another round of massage before heading back to our room. For lunch, we were so lazy that we ordered room service. We watched a movie on my iPad and then resumed our book reading.
One thing unique about KTM is that they have the tallest statue of Guanyin right in the resort. This has become a tourist attraction and you will see tour buses unloading tourists in the morning. According to Ardiansyah, this statue was originally near the shorelines but was moved due to complaints from startled seamen especially during foggy nights. We made it a point to stop by the statue every night on our way back to our room to offer some prayers.

On our forth and last day, we went for our last massage. I had an ocean view package which consists of foot bath, Jacuzzi bath and full body massage. G opted for the rejuvenating package which came with a body scrub. The packages lasts about 2 hours! It was already 12pm by the time we were back in our room. We showered and ordered room service again and decided to have our meal at the patio. We had assurance that we can check out as late as we want since they are usually on extremely low occupancy on Mondays. However, I totally forgot that our access card, like those of most hotels, was programmed to be inactive after check-out time. It was just past 1pm as I walked out of the room to join G for lunch and we found ourselves locked out. Walking to the front office was out of the question as we were barefooted and the road was scorching hot. While I was trying to call to the reception via my mobile phone, I spotted a shuttle bus passing by and waved at the driver. The driver, Lico, was very kind and asked us to wait while he drove back to the front office with our access card for re-validation. We had our lunch and Lico came back with our card fixed. We requested for him to pick us up at 3pm so that we can leave for the ferry terminal before 3:30pm for our 4:30pm ferry. Lico was very puncture and we were very pleased with his good service attitude. After checking out, Lico sent us to the ferry terminal.

We have read horror stories about KTM Resort on TripAdvisor and felt that for the price we pay, we ought to lower our expectations. The staff were all friendly and will greet or at least nod at us politely with a smile whenever we walked past them. From our room and from the restaurant, we could get M1 and StarHub mobile coverage although the signal was quite weak. I was able to take a call, send some text messages and log on to 2.5G/3G for data at times. There is Wi-Fi coverage in some areas of the resort which is good (and bad at times since we were supposed to be here to "disconnect" from our hectic life in Singapore). Frankly speaking, I would prefer my stay at Harris but KTM Resort wasn't that bad - at least not as bad as described by some reviewers.

Room Tip: Ask the staff for the best view (Subject to availability). We got D318 which was very good.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

I bought 2 voucher at deals..soo i book a reservation for 11july which is tmmrw.. I received the confirmation letter but under the deals voucher no, they put both same voucher no.. Ive tried calling them but no answer, email them couple of times regarding tis matter but still no reply n im goin fer the trip tommorow!! Ive no idea wat to do now..gud luck to me i guess!

Stayed July 2012

Been to KTM Resort - Batam? Share your experiences!