“Pretty decent resort for the price - definitely not as bad as some reviewers described” 4 of 5 stars
Review of PT. KTM Resort - Batam

Save Saved
You added PT. KTM Resort - Batam to your Saves list
PT. KTM Resort - Batam
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jl. Kolonel Soegiono | Tg. Pinggir - Sekupang, Riau Islands Province, Indonesia   |
Ranked #36 of 64 hotels in Batam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Knowing that I would most likely be spending my birthday alone this year, my good friend, G, suggested a getaway trip to Batam just before my birthday. G had come across a steal on deal.com.sg at only $55 a night at KTM Resort. We decided that a 3D2N trip should be sufficient for a getaway. During booking, we were told that we will get an additional night free with the purchase of 2 nights. That's nice, I mean, who minds an additional night of free stay, right? So 4D3N it was to be.

Ardiansyah, the Assistant Room Division Manager, upgraded us to a Deluxe Cottage when he knew that this was going to be a little birthday celebration. He also arranged for an additional bed placed in our cottage free of charge when they could not accommodate our request for twin beds instead of a double. On top of this, he got us special rates for full body massages at Spa Villa which is run by an external party.

The day finally arrived and after clearing immigration at Sekupang, we saw the driver for the shuttle to KTM holding a sign with "KTM" clearly printed on it. We waited a little while before being ushered up on the air-conditioned mini bus. On the bus, we were annoyed at having to wait for another 10 to 15 minutes because this rowdy bunch of young men had neglected to complete their immigration paperwork. This is, of course, no fault of KTM but I was really annoyed by their attitude.

Thankfully, it was barely a 10-minute drive to KTM and I made it a point to be the first few passengers to alight from the bus. I just couldn't take the risk of having that group mess up their paperwork and delaying our check in if they were ahead of us in the queue. Check-in was a breeze for us and the front office staff were very polite. There was no deviation from the prior arrangements made and we were promptly given our access key. As our cottage is located quite a distance away, one of the shuttle bus drivers collected our luggage and sent us to the doorstep.

The room looked really small at first glance but that's probably because we have an extra bed in there. Truth is, we did not need a big room and this is just great and cosy. The air-conditioning took quite a while to cool down the room due to the extremely hot weather outside so we made it a point never to turn it off for the duration of our stay. As we have been assigned a corner unit, we have a nice little patio with a coffee table and two chairs outside. Perfect for a book and coffee! I brought along a electric traveler's stove and we cooked instant noodles in it for lunch. As I was feeling under the weather, I took a nap while G went out to the patio with a cup of coffee and a book (Kindle). Later in the afternoon, G and I walked to the restaurant where we had another meal and spent some time reading. The restaurant extends over a pier which provided the occasional sea wind and the sound of waves. The items on their menu were considered affordable. After that, we walked along the waterfront until we came to the row of Cabanas which made up Spa Villa. We were scheduled for massage at 9pm Batam Time so we returned to our cottage to shower and read our books before the session.

At 8:30pm, we made our way down to Spa Villa only to find the place in darkness. It was a Friday night and the resort is on low occupancy since most Singaporeans will only arrive on the following day. The office of Spa Villa was locked so we knocked at their staff room. After much gesturing and explaining in simple English, we found that the staff have not been informed of our reservation. All of the staff were already in their PJs getting ready to call it a day so we did not have the heart to pursue further. The staff were also very apologetic that we have come all the way only to have to leave disappointed. Since massage is off, we went to the restaurant to have our dinner and enjoy some cold Bintang beer. We chatted, listened to music and read our books before calling it a day. I took the double bed while G took the additional bed that was placed in the room. In return, I gave G the duvet and an extra pillow. Little did we know that we would be kept awake by mosquitoes for most of the night. At 2am, after being stung for the nth time, I decided that enough is enough. I got up, called the reception and told them of the problem. Within 10 minutes, a staff arrived in a motorbike and handed me a can of Lavender-scented insecticide. I took it gratefully and sprayed generously under the beds, tables, mini fridge and every nook and cranny of the room. It's no surprise that G and I didn't sleep well having to endure mosquitoes and for me, the bonus of a blocked nose.

Breakfast starts at 6:30am and ends at 9:30am. With a rather narrow timing like this, we had to get up rather early every morning to avoid missing breakfast. Breakfast for those few days were fried noodles/beehoon/rice, cornflakes, koko krunch, bread and some local kuehs.
We met up with Ardiansyah to find out about the confusion at Spa Villa the night before. We came to the conclusion that the Spa Villa management might not have informed the staff of our booking. Ardiansyah helped make ad-hoc arrangements for a massage session at 10am so that we have ample time to shower and catch the shuttle out to Nagoya at 1pm. The massage ended at 11am and because I felt sweaty and greasy after the massage, I took a shower while G continued reading until the shuttle arrived to fetch us to Nagoya.

At Nagoya, we had lunch and went shopping at the Hypermart. One of the most important things on our shopping list was the mosquito coils (incense). We got the "jumbo" version which lasts 10 hours. For safety, we also bought a special container to house the smouldering coil. One thing I like about Indonesia is the fact that certain medication can be bought off the shelf in the hypermart without prescription.

We returned to our room to find that a young couple in their early twenties, who were part of a bigger group, checked into the room directly beside ours. They created a din as they excitedly checked out each others' rooms while I tried to take a nap after popping some antihistamines. In the evening, we cooked instant kuay teow using the stove before we headed to Spa Villa for our hot stone back massage. When we returned, our neighbour and their friends were setting off fireworks. Amused, we brought out our bottle of red wine to the patio to watch them have fun. Due to the bad sleep the previous night coupled with the wine and relaxing massages, we called it a day. The sleep was better but we were kept awake by the constant sound of chatter and television from our neighbour. At 3:30am, I got frustrated and knocked sharply on the wall 3 times. This gave us a few minutes of silence as they switched off the television shortly after and the sounds I heard after that should be left to your imagination. Gosh.

Our third day was designated to be a whole day of book reading. After breakfast, we had another round of massage before heading back to our room. For lunch, we were so lazy that we ordered room service. We watched a movie on my iPad and then resumed our book reading.
One thing unique about KTM is that they have the tallest statue of Guanyin right in the resort. This has become a tourist attraction and you will see tour buses unloading tourists in the morning. According to Ardiansyah, this statue was originally near the shorelines but was moved due to complaints from startled seamen especially during foggy nights. We made it a point to stop by the statue every night on our way back to our room to offer some prayers.

On our forth and last day, we went for our last massage. I had an ocean view package which consists of foot bath, Jacuzzi bath and full body massage. G opted for the rejuvenating package which came with a body scrub. The packages lasts about 2 hours! It was already 12pm by the time we were back in our room. We showered and ordered room service again and decided to have our meal at the patio. We had assurance that we can check out as late as we want since they are usually on extremely low occupancy on Mondays. However, I totally forgot that our access card, like those of most hotels, was programmed to be inactive after check-out time. It was just past 1pm as I walked out of the room to join G for lunch and we found ourselves locked out. Walking to the front office was out of the question as we were barefooted and the road was scorching hot. While I was trying to call to the reception via my mobile phone, I spotted a shuttle bus passing by and waved at the driver. The driver, Lico, was very kind and asked us to wait while he drove back to the front office with our access card for re-validation. We had our lunch and Lico came back with our card fixed. We requested for him to pick us up at 3pm so that we can leave for the ferry terminal before 3:30pm for our 4:30pm ferry. Lico was very puncture and we were very pleased with his good service attitude. After checking out, Lico sent us to the ferry terminal.

We have read horror stories about KTM Resort on TripAdvisor and felt that for the price we pay, we ought to lower our expectations. The staff were all friendly and will greet or at least nod at us politely with a smile whenever we walked past them. From our room and from the restaurant, we could get M1 and StarHub mobile coverage although the signal was quite weak. I was able to take a call, send some text messages and log on to 2.5G/3G for data at times. There is Wi-Fi coverage in some areas of the resort which is good (and bad at times since we were supposed to be here to "disconnect" from our hectic life in Singapore). Frankly speaking, I would prefer my stay at Harris but KTM Resort wasn't that bad - at least not as bad as described by some reviewers.

Room Tip: Ask the staff for the best view (Subject to availability). We got D318 which was very good.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

66 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

I bought 2 voucher at deals..soo i book a reservation for 11july which is tmmrw.. I received the confirmation letter but under the deals voucher no, they put both same voucher no.. Ive tried calling them but no answer, email them couple of times regarding tis matter but still no reply n im goin fer the trip tommorow!! Ive no idea wat to do now..gud luck to me i guess!

Stayed July 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Booked a 2D1N stay from the $55 voucher from deal.com.sg.... It was definitely cheap, but definitely shouldn't expect anything above 3-stars here. While their staff are mostly polite, the facilities are a disappointing to a certain extent.

Despite there having things like spa, massage, outdoor pool, etc, I didn't really find myself eager to try out any of those. I am not really keen on spa/massage in the first place (it was a little pricey also in SGD). I was most taken aback by their so-called outdoor pool. It looked like it hadn't been used/cleaned in years! No one actually uses it, I really think they ought to do something to it. They claim to have a lagoon but it's really more like something for display. No one really goes down there at all either.

The room (sea view villa) was small indeed. It was good enough for two, but the fact that we can easily hear the neighboring room was a bit annoying. They have most SG channels on TV; a good working mini-fridge; the air-con was okay; bathroom has hot water but quite limited. The so-called balcony area is shared with the neighbor.

Their restaurant food is not too bad.I won't say it's fantastic but it was probably something sufficient to make up for all the what-nots.

There was a bus provided to Nagoya Hill mall but it was only one trip to and fro. The mall was quite boring. Nothing much there that I really fancied, except for some food.

Overall, the trip was a little below average, but as mentioned, what you pay is what you get. It's a good place to just bum around and do nothing, just to get away from the city and stressful atmosphere in SG.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

We used the S$ 55 Deal vouchers for a 2D1N stay at KTM. It's great value for money. Booking via email was smooth and prompt. We stayed in one of the sea view villa facing the Singapore Skyline. The view was excellent! The room was smaller than expected. Although it was simple and it had all we need. Massage by the sea was comfortable.This place is good for a simple short break, with a close friend or spouse. Not much for kids though....

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

I had booked a 2d1n 55 dollars deal voucher from deal.com.sg and after reading the reviews, I was expecting a relaxed getaway from the hustle and bustle of city life. But even for the price I paid, this is now turning out to be a nightmares of all trips.

I am not exaggerating - and you will see why as you read on. Moreover, let me emphasize that the trip has of now not yet started - it is slated for tomorrow on the 17th of June 2012. I had emailed the email on 8th of June 2012 to express my desire to book a resort slot on the 17th of June 2012. I think it is fair to say that I have given them enough time to return my email, even given the influx of emails the resort is slated to receive during this booming holiday season. And please note that I was not expecting a lightning speed response but just that anything in the span of 7 working days would be fine.

Up till now, it has been a relatively smooth process as they returned my email on the 12th of June stating that the date we had chosen was available and for us to send our e-voucher. Well, that was fine! I promptly send off the e-vouchers on that day itself I received an email the next day on the 13th informing me that they would send me the confirmation letter and ferry booking details on the 14th. I was then at the time very pleased with the service rendered as the reservations officer was pleasant in her language and prompt in her replies and I would have applauded them if not for all that I am going about to experience.

So I busied myself with drawing up an itinerary and went about looking forward to the holiday. Now, I was expecting the email to come in at 14th but it did not. Alright, that was okay, a mere oversight that could not be picked on as I understand that they would certainly have other customer's demands to attend to. So, when on the 15th evening they ahd still not send the email, I send them an email reminding them to do so as it was their out of office hours on the weekends and I would not wish to bother them then. Then came today, the 16th where my email still went answered and I started feeling panicky as the ferry journey was tomorrow in the morning at 11.50 a.m and it was not possible for me to only receive the email tomorrow

My emails went unanswered and I tried calling them and sending them another email to no avail. Finally, in the evening I had gotten through and they promptly send another email to apologize for the delay. I was impressed till here it is - the climax of the whole story!

They were supposed to send an attached confirmation letter but here's the ultimate clincher, despite the name of the document being mine, the confirmation letter WAS NOT MINE. What this meant was that the letter was filled with the name of another person, with another person's voucher details, with a different number of resort rooms allocated, and a different date of check-in altogether. This is the worst thing that can happen now, given that they have not replied my email (once again!) regarding this wrong sending of confirmation letter + no apologies for sending wrongly

The ferry trip is tomorrow and I have no idea what to do except to feel panicked. This is excellent indeed, and I cannot wait to see how tomorrow will pan out. Stay in tuned for later developments! ( I hope it will be a good one for both mutual parties, with all my heart)

So yes, based on the pre-trip arrangements, it has already been an utter nightmare - let this be a warning to all those tempted by coupon deal websites advertising too good for real deals. Let there be known that there may sometimes be inconvenience or a catch here, my friends.

And last but not least, wish me luck!

Room Tip: To be advised.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Bought vouchers from deal.com.sg for a 1 night stay at KTM Resort on 10 June 12.

Accommodation
As there were 4 of us, we were given a family cottage with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a living/dining area and surrounded at the 4 sides by a veranda. Originally allocated cottage 511, which is on higher ground but with half its seaview blocked by trees. We paid a fee to 'upgrade' to cottage 501, which is nearer to the reception/pool area and has unobstructed seaview. Noticed cottage 501 has air-freshener in its bedrooms and bathrooms and skirtings on the beds unlike 511. Not sure if it was housekeeing oversight or because we paid extra for these. There is a CRT TV in each room, though reception is not great. 2 pairs of slippers in each room at cottage 511 but missing in cottage 501 (probably another housekeeping oversight). The stove in the living area is not usable and the hot water kettle provided comes with a 2-pin plug but no 3-pin adapter provided in the cottage. Coffee/tea sachets and 4 cups provided.

Bathroom
Reasonably clean. 2 sets of toothbrush/paste in each bathroom. Shower gel/shampoo & soap. Towels reasonably clean. After a heavy rain on the morning of the 2nd day, I noticed many medium size red ants crawling all over the wash basin. It does not bother us much as the ants 'disappeared' after i started splashing water on them.

Beds
One of the bedrooms has a queen size bed and the other one comes with 2 single beds. I did not expect 5-star standard, but the beds are comfortable enough though I can see some very tiny red ants crawling on my side of the queen size bed and i was also bitten by some during the night.

Veranda
The back door opens to a veranda that faces the sea. While sitting at the bench here, we could see Singapore, Marina area's skyline clearly. I love the seaview from here. Make us feel like we're at a 5-star resort, very relaxing. The stairs from here also leads to a mini garden. We spotted a slightly less than 1 metre monitor lizard sauntering pass the drain beside our veranda after the heavy rain.

The 'buffet' breakfast was nothing to shout about. Very basic but adequate (for the price we paid). The egg station has the freshest food as service staff cooks only upon request.The resort staff should do something about the houseflies though. As it was a Monday morning when we had our breakfast, the occupancy rate at the resort is low. I guess that was why they did not bother to light up the burner to keep the food warm. We had meals at the resort restaurant other than breaakfast. Quite tasty. Price not expensive at all though slightly more than what we paid for at the shopping mall.

Free shuttle service to & fro Nagoya Hill Mall provided with our package. The staff at the reception also volunteered to help me confirm my ferry booking back to Singapore the next morning when I was there to enquire about te check-out time.

Overall, we were quite satisfied with this deal & our stay at KTM Resort. Value for Money. Generally, the service staff are polite and go about their work with a smile.

Room Tip: Room 512 has unobstructed seaview too. Like 511, it is situated higher up the slope. In my opinion...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

One of the smallest room ever , really old resort , no faculties at all , food very horrible , far from town , need pay extra like s$40 to go to town area . Totally nothing to do the other than spa .. Totally boring , waste of time ..

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to PT. KTM Resort - Batam? Share your experiences!