“Still maintaining the standard.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of 89 Hotel

You added 89 Hotel to your Saves list
89 Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Pembangunan Baloi Blok VI | Penuin, Riau Islands Province 29432, Indonesia   |
Ranked #12 of 77 Hotels in Batam
Singapore
“Still maintaining the standard.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I been to this hotel for more than 5 years. The management really maintain the standard of the hotel. Walking distance to bcs shopping centre, TOP 100 supermarket. Hotel is best for short sleepover during short trip to batam.
Staff is still very helpful and friendly especially Ms Indah from the reception who always smile even though during peak season. I feel really at home when staying here. Free wifi, not bad for the price I pay for the room. Food spread for breakfast is ok.

• Stayed June 2012
Sugianto K, General Manager at 89 Hotel, responded to this review, September 1, 2012

Cheers from 89 Hotel, Batam !

We are delighted that you had enjoyed your stay with us and thank you so much for your great comments about our hotel. Unarguably, our hotel is indeed value for money and its prime location in the central of business district has make it very famous in Batam. We often receive good comments regarding impressive service of our staffs too.

We have informed Ms Indah regarding your praisal for her and we hope all of our staffs will impress you too and make you feel you are staying in your own home. I am pleased to inform you that Ms Indah has just having her baby and will be back with us again soon to serve you.

We are gradually renovating our entire hotel and guest rooms currently in order to serve you better. We certainly believe that you will find a massive change and improvement. Hopefully, we could impress you further during your next visit with us.

GENERAL MANAGER

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

This was the first hotel I stayed at when I went to Batam over 7 to 8 years ago and I have stayed in this hotel every time I go to Batam for short weekend getaway. It is the only hotel I've every stayed.

The room was clean and comfortable, big and spacious, you can possilbly get cheaper rooms in Batam of course but I like the fact that it was near to the major shopping area such as Nagoya. I walk to Nagoya every time I was there. Also, it has an in house massage services on the 3rd floor which was excellent. For about $15 I get a full hour and a half massage. The massaeuse are all very experience. I had a different masseause every time and every time I was happy with my massages. It was convenient after a day out shopping to have a massage in the hotel and then heading back to your hotel to rest. For extra fee, you can even ask to have the massage in your hotel room. The 3rd floor also houses a jacuzzi, gym and salon.

Buffet breakfast is an array of choices. Service was excellent, they had the same service staff since the first time I was there and I always felt welcomed there because I feel the service staff is most helpful to assist you.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Spore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

Hotel not too bad for a short stay. Disapointed with my deluxe room upon upgrading from standard room. Dont understand why bathroom is far from room had to by pass kitchen which is not in use. it make bedroom look smaller space. Deluxe room does not look anything from hotel info picture. Disapointing cannot swicth to other deluxe room as seen in hotel picture, Staff say hotel is busy with many guests..had to shorten my stay which i intended to stay up to 4 days holiday to enjoy hotel..
Location is central to many shops n eatary.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Cheers from 89 Hotel, Batam !

Thank you so much for your constructive comments that are really appreciated. We have well noted all your input and are really working hard to fix the problem by continuously renovating and upgrading our guest room.

We do appreciate your good comment regarding hotel location. Undoubtedly, a fine hotel with perfect location and we often receive good comments regarding impressive service of our staffs.

Once again, we truly appreciate receiving your feedback as it enables us to continue our improvement efforts in order to serve you better.

Phuket, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

Stayed 2N3D at this motel. As others have mentioned it is very convenient to a huge market , shops and a mall 10 mins walk away.

One must remember that this is INDONESIA - Not new York. The pavements are notwaht most are used to and the access to the market is via the road - not the pathway (there is none).

The billing left a bit to be desired. The quote was through hotels.com and we selected Indonesian Rupiah. The Bill was in US $ and then converted at the motel's rate of 8400 when the forex rate was 8900. this added to the cost of the room in a non negotiable manner.

I do admit we experienced a similar experience with pricing with the ferry to Malaysia and even the Visa on arrival. So you have to accept that this is how business is done in Indonesia and expect to pay about 15% more than stated.

The staff are very friendly and helpful. There is a lot of security around also though Indonesia is not an unsafe place to travel.

This hotel is OK for a night or two close to facilities.

Room Tip: Rooms on facing the road have road noise - on the 8th (Top) floor. The double room we had was fine...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Went on an impromptu short vacation (3D2N) to batam with 2 friends and a family member. First day, managed to checked into Hotel 89 within the batam center. Wasnt expecting much from it but was pleasing and comfortable enough for us.. Got a junior suite room (1 double bed and 1 single bed in one room and another connecting standard room. Unfortunately it was the only connecting room available and was located right next to the corridors where all the aircon-compressors are lined up.. so one can imagine the sound a compressor make plus the heat it generated. but it doesnt bother us much (cause we slept right through the noise).. woke up to breakfast (not international breakfast mind you but the one where local cuisines are served).. they even have a spa, gym, massage center and a salon in the same building so you get the convenience of pampering urself without leaving the hotel.. the massage center was a good 1.5 hours.. counter ppl and porters were nice (even sent up additional blankets and pillows without any delay).. overall enjoyed it..

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

stay duration: 16/04/2011 - 17/04/2011 (1 night)
number of people: 6 adults, 1 teenage & 3 children
number of rooms: 3 (1 VIP & 2 twin)

hotel is not that far from harbour bay ferry terminal.
exterior & interior (lobby area) looks ok.
dont really have much problem with the reception or other staff as we understand their language.
request for connecting room & additional room next door was met without hassle.

room was a little dark with limited warm lights.
furniture arrangement kinda funny as its difficult to move around the room.
VIP... 2 queen size bed & equip with bath.
twin... 2 single bed but only shower head available.

satelite tv... with sports channel
free wifi available at lobby i think

no doubt hotel is airconditioned... people are free to smoke anywhere, even in the lobby!!! i guess this goes everywhere here in batam.

3rd floor was their activities level... spa, salon, pool table, big screen tv & gym... but aircondition is probably not working. i'm sweating just sitting down watching a game on the big screen. no swimming pool.

lots of eating place by the roadside & a couple shopping complex nearby.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

The only good thing I can say about this hotel is that it is in a good location. Top100, a shopping centre, is less than a 5 mins walk away. BCS, a larger, newer shopping centre, is about 8 mins away. Nagoya Plaza is a 10 mins taxi ride from Hotel 89. There are loads of food stalls, resturants and fast food outlets all around. BCS is huge in Batam standards, and you can wander around for an hour or so.

Now for the bad:
Hotel staff cannot converse reliably in English. I assume that some of them can speak reasonably well, but most are unable to understand simple English. I assume they would have trouble with spelling as well. Their welcome mat was spelt "WECLOME" or similar. I visited the hotel a few months after and saw that they have rectified the mistake.

The lobby is scruffy and looks old and dirty. You hesitate to sit on the sofa set. I stayed there for a few days a week for several weeks so I noticed when they changed the sofa set. Unfortunately, the "new" set looked second-hand.

Some rooms do not have carpet and sometimes the floor is sticky. Sometimes the rooms have carpet, but that is sometimes sticky too.

Aircon may or may not work. It became SOP (standard operating procedure) to check that the aircon is working before accepting the room.

I have been bitten by bed bugs there before, so it is also SOP to check for bed bugs for about 5 mins before accepting the room. I told the reception and I was shocked that they were not shocked. They did not even apologised, just asked if I wanted to change rooms.

Get a room facing away from the road. Otherwise the noise will hamper your sleep throughout the night.

I had to use the gym. The equipment is falling apart. I literally had to put back pieces periodically in order to complete my set.

The resturant is reasonably priced but expensive when compared to food stalls. Expect a 20-30 mins wait for your dinner even if you are the only one in the resturant.

Breakfast buffet is ok. I would stay away from the fruits and veggies that have not been cooked.

Towels are threadbare and do not look completely white.

Beds are iffy and I would not say that they were comfortable.

Cigarette smells are common.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Cheers from 89 Hotel, Batam !

Thank you so much for your constructive comments that are really appreciated.

I do apologize for your unpleasant stay in our Hotel. We have well noted your constructive comments and are really working hard to fix the problem by gradually renovating our entire hotel and upgrading our staffs' service. Your comments has been forwarded to the manager concern and we have asked for immediate improvement to ensure that same mistake will no longer take place and will act according to standard in the future.

Once again, we truly appreciate receiving your feedback as it allows us to constantly improving in order to serve you better. We certainly believe that you will find a massive change and improvement. Hopefully, we could impress you further during your next visit with us.

GENERAL MANAGER

Been to 89 Hotel? Share your experiences!