“Just another basic hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of I Hotel

You added I Hotel to your Saves list
I Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Teuku Umar | Bukit Nagoya, Riau Islands Province 29432, Indonesia   |
Ranked #5 of 72 Hotels in Batam
Butterworth, Malaysia
“Just another basic hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Situated at Nagoya district with a lot of shops and shopping center, this hotel is rather convenient for choices of shopping and dining. However, bear in mind that the shopping center here is rather messy as they seems to have almost everything there from cheap to expensive items. Check process has been rather smooth and same goes for checking out. The room is fairly sized but very basic on furnishing. The bed can be rather soft and not really a hotel standard for the price paid. Cleanliness can be rated as OK with several items at toilet has started to ware.

There is a nice pool with whirlpool which is rather nice. The facility also furnished with a Balinese spa which is fairly priced. The hotel served rather basic meals with very limited choice.

On overall, very basic place to be with nothing much to brag about.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Indonesian first
RI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I would rate this a 2.5. Stayed here two times on Business trips, 3 nights each. The hotel is modern looking and the rooms are good size. The staff was friendly but one issue we had was that 3 of the people I was traveling with had their rooms moved with out asking them. I have never seen this happen and I would have been upset if it happen to me and they moved all my things with out telling me or letting me do it myself. The room I had during my first stay was okay, had a weird smell and old TV. The internet is so slow it is almost unusable. My second stay I had a room on the 7th floor. The room was much nicer with a large flat screen TV. When packing up for my last night I saw a big bug in the closet, I think it was a cock-roach but I'm not 100% sure. I made sure to check all my stuff when I left to make sure none were in my baggage. I ate in the restaurant twice and both times is was gross. One night I had a chicken breast and it was almost 100% fat. Second time I had some chicken roll thing and could not eat it. They list pizza but was told they don't make it anymore. On the 2nd floor they have a seedy karaoke bar where you can pay to "sit" with woman dressed as hookers. Kind of tells you what this hotel is all about I guess. The problem is that if I come here again I most likely with stay here, I did not see anything better around this area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Penang
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

After reading all the scary stories about hailing Batam's notorious taxis, my wife and I decided not to risk it andbooked the hotel's taxi to pick us up at the Batam Ferry Center instead. Didn't want to flag down and haggle fares with dishonest cab drivers and then later to be taken for a ride anyhow.

It took us about twenty minutes to reach the hotel and cost us Rupiah 80,000 (US$8.20) of which a receipt was issued for.

The Front Desk allowed us to check in early which was great because it was not even 9.00AM when we arrived. While at the counter, we were very pleasantly surprised when a waitress served us a welcome juice drink. Some hotels have welcome drink vouchers but many hotels don't even bother with this simple hospitality gesture anymore so that welcome drink upon arrival was a really positive first impression.

The corridor leading to our room emitted a faint musty smell of damp carpet. It was not overpowering but enough to be noticed. Our room was a non-smoking room but upon opening the door, we could immediately detect stale cigarette smoke. Clearly, the previous guest must have totally ignored the No Smoking sign or else just couldn't be bothered.

Good thing the windows can be opened to allow fresh air to help clear up the smell a tad. We still needed to buy a little air freshener sachet to further rid the room of that weird sweet and spicy smoky stench of clove cigarettes.

We later learnt that Indonesians love clove cigarettes and that smoking in public air conditioned areas is generally frowned upon but still tolerated. So it's no fault of the hotel that smokers puff away freely. Many guests light up in the lobby and also the breakfast coffeehouse where the smoking section occupies 3/4 of the restaurant. Non smokers must learn to somehow adapt to the smoking culture in this country, that's for certain.

Breakfast was the usual mix of international fare but it was actually pretty tasty. Loved their hot soya milk and tofu soybean pudding. The buffet items were slow to be replenished though.

A 5 minute walk will take you to a fairly large mall called the Nagoya Hill Mall where one can find the usual Western fast food joints, small local eateries, grocers, souvenir shops etc. As expected, smoking is also "permitted" there, especially in the basement where the computer and electrical products are located. Nobody gives a damn about the numerous No Smoking signages.

Anyway, we stayed for 4 nights and concluded that the I Hotel is a decent and clean hotel run by friendly, helpful and polite staff. Now, if only the No Smoking Room can remain a No Smoking Room...

Room Tip: Bring your own air freshener sachets
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Jus returned from short weekend getaway with a few girlfriends. Stayed at the i-hotel. The lobby was spacious and bright, the front-desk staff were polite and patient, the conceirge were helpful. We requested for connecting rooms before arriving and we were glad that arrangements were prepared for us. The rooms and toilets were immaculate and clean, though the musky smell can be improved. We had to spray air freshener every time we enter our rooms. The toiletries were very basic and not of gd quality. No bathrobes were available. The water pressure in the bath was very strong. Breakfast was decent with the usual egg station, toast, rice & porridge, a mini japanese selection of miso soup & condiments. Worth mentioning was the soy bean curd and soy bean milk. The pastries and desserts were nothing to shout about. The swimming pool was q small, i can reach the other end within 7-8 kicks. The jacucci was comfortable with warm water, great for soaking with girlfriends.

I-hotel is best for its location and near proximity to Nagoya Hill Mall. Guests can walk the unsheltered pavement that leads to the open air carpark of Nagoya mall. Across the road from the i-hotel is a spa worth visiting: Spa Secret has nice ambience, a class above Isabella and Eska spa along Nagoya. You pay S$38 for 2 hours of massage or a full 2.5hours spa with all the works for $78-$108 depending on what you choose. The masseuse who attended to me was Vivi, she is very experienced and delivered firm & strong strokes to all my tight knots.

We watched G I Joe at the cinema, each ticket costed S$4.50 each and the popcorn were really delicious. The seats were spacious and the sound system were superb. Shopping at Matahari was quite interesting. If you are looking for fine quality, Batam is not the place. But for $7 a pair of pretty sandals and $15 for a 2pc swimsuit, you cant complain. Tshirts are cheap, i bought 3 for S$12. Gd material and they don go out of shape after wash.

On the 1st level near the food street, Layers sell very good lapis layered cakes and honeycomb ambons. There is a crepe stall selling one of the best crispy crepes i hv ever eaten, the choc & banana is my favourite. Its jus behind the Baskins & Robins ice-cream stall.

We took a taxi to Golden Prawn Restaurant for dinner, though touristy, it served one of freshest live seafood. We ordered a garoupa cooked the steamed teochew way. The crabs wont be missed coz they were way too small, though black pepper style taste great. The cereal prawn were tasty as well. The other dishes were done well too. The only downside was the live singer delivered one of the worst performance;-p

The girls had such a great time together, cant wait for our next party;-)

Room Tip: Non-smoking room on a high floor. We stayed at 710 & 712 which were connecting rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for a night and it was superb. Staff are all friendly and excellent service. Reason i choose this hotel was the location. 5 mins to the Nagoya shopping mall with ample choices of restaurants to choose from. Room service food are affordable as well. Room that i got is very spacious. Upgraded to balcony room because their superior rooms were all full. The bed is very comfy and i slept like a baby after a full body massage and spa at the nearest Spa at nagoya mall. Taxi is 20 mins if you are taking from Batam Centre . Thumbs up to this hotel and the very helpful staff!!

• Stayed April 2013
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 3D2N and my sister and I have no regrets! This hotel is new. Its walking distance to Nagoya Mall and the hotel staff were friendly and helpful. We basically went to the mall to shop, came back to dump all the plastic bags in the room and off we go again to the mall. The breakfast was spectacular!! So much variety, that you'll be spoilt for choice! The only putoff is that the smoking and the non smoking area in the restaurant is just divided by the buffet spread in the middle of the room. Should consider having the smoking area outdoors, not indoors. Well, you can't always everything that you want. Will defintely come back to this hotel again. Hope it will remain the same.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Batam, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

this hotel have a good location, near by Nagoya Hill, shopping center in Batam.
if you stay here, at least you must have trip to nagoya hill, lucky plaza, BCS mall, etc.
the first is Lucky Plaza because this place is very famous as the central of electronic with cheap price. Besides the location, the room is clean and very cozy. Overall, this Hotel is the best.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to I Hotel? Share your experiences!