“better than expected” 3 of 5 stars
Review of I Hotel

Save Saved
You added I Hotel to your Saves list
I Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Teuku Umar | Bukit Nagoya, Riau Islands Province 29432, Indonesia   |
Ranked #4 of 66 hotels in Batam
RI
“better than expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I would rate this a 2.5. Stayed here two times on Business trips, 3 nights each. The hotel is modern looking and the rooms are good size. The staff was friendly but one issue we had was that 3 of the people I was traveling with had their rooms moved with out asking them. I have never seen this happen and I would have been upset if it happen to me and they moved all my things with out telling me or letting me do it myself. The room I had during my first stay was okay, had a weird smell and old TV. The internet is so slow it is almost unusable. My second stay I had a room on the 7th floor. The room was much nicer with a large flat screen TV. When packing up for my last night I saw a big bug in the closet, I think it was a cock-roach but I'm not 100% sure. I made sure to check all my stuff when I left to make sure none were in my baggage. I ate in the restaurant twice and both times is was gross. One night I had a chicken breast and it was almost 100% fat. Second time I had some chicken roll thing and could not eat it. They list pizza but was told they don't make it anymore. On the 2nd floor they have a seedy karaoke bar where you can pay to "sit" with woman dressed as hookers. Kind of tells you what this hotel is all about I guess. The problem is that if I come here again I most likely with stay here, I did not see anything better around this area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

177 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Indonesian first
Penang
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

After reading all the scary stories about hailing Batam's notorious taxis, my wife and I decided not to risk it andbooked the hotel's taxi to pick us up at the Batam Ferry Center instead. Didn't want to flag down and haggle fares with dishonest cab drivers and then later to be taken for a ride anyhow.

It took us about twenty minutes to reach the hotel and cost us Rupiah 80,000 (US$8.20) of which a receipt was issued for.

The Front Desk allowed us to check in early which was great because it was not even 9.00AM when we arrived. While at the counter, we were very pleasantly surprised when a waitress served us a welcome juice drink. Some hotels have welcome drink vouchers but many hotels don't even bother with this simple hospitality gesture anymore so that welcome drink upon arrival was a really positive first impression.

The corridor leading to our room emitted a faint musty smell of damp carpet. It was not overpowering but enough to be noticed. Our room was a non-smoking room but upon opening the door, we could immediately detect stale cigarette smoke. Clearly, the previous guest must have totally ignored the No Smoking sign or else just couldn't be bothered.

Good thing the windows can be opened to allow fresh air to help clear up the smell a tad. We still needed to buy a little air freshener sachet to further rid the room of that weird sweet and spicy smoky stench of clove cigarettes.

We later learnt that Indonesians love clove cigarettes and that smoking in public air conditioned areas is generally frowned upon but still tolerated. So it's no fault of the hotel that smokers puff away freely. Many guests light up in the lobby and also the breakfast coffeehouse where the smoking section occupies 3/4 of the restaurant. Non smokers must learn to somehow adapt to the smoking culture in this country, that's for certain.

Breakfast was the usual mix of international fare but it was actually pretty tasty. Loved their hot soya milk and tofu soybean pudding. The buffet items were slow to be replenished though.

A 5 minute walk will take you to a fairly large mall called the Nagoya Hill Mall where one can find the usual Western fast food joints, small local eateries, grocers, souvenir shops etc. As expected, smoking is also "permitted" there, especially in the basement where the computer and electrical products are located. Nobody gives a damn about the numerous No Smoking signages.

Anyway, we stayed for 4 nights and concluded that the I Hotel is a decent and clean hotel run by friendly, helpful and polite staff. Now, if only the No Smoking Room can remain a No Smoking Room...

Room Tip: Bring your own air freshener sachets
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Jus returned from short weekend getaway with a few girlfriends. Stayed at the i-hotel. The lobby was spacious and bright, the front-desk staff were polite and patient, the conceirge were helpful. We requested for connecting rooms before arriving and we were glad that arrangements were prepared for us. The rooms and toilets were immaculate and clean, though the musky smell can be improved. We had to spray air freshener every time we enter our rooms. The toiletries were very basic and not of gd quality. No bathrobes were available. The water pressure in the bath was very strong. Breakfast was decent with the usual egg station, toast, rice & porridge, a mini japanese selection of miso soup & condiments. Worth mentioning was the soy bean curd and soy bean milk. The pastries and desserts were nothing to shout about. The swimming pool was q small, i can reach the other end within 7-8 kicks. The jacucci was comfortable with warm water, great for soaking with girlfriends.

I-hotel is best for its location and near proximity to Nagoya Hill Mall. Guests can walk the unsheltered pavement that leads to the open air carpark of Nagoya mall. Across the road from the i-hotel is a spa worth visiting: Spa Secret has nice ambience, a class above Isabella and Eska spa along Nagoya. You pay S$38 for 2 hours of massage or a full 2.5hours spa with all the works for $78-$108 depending on what you choose. The masseuse who attended to me was Vivi, she is very experienced and delivered firm & strong strokes to all my tight knots.

We watched G I Joe at the cinema, each ticket costed S$4.50 each and the popcorn were really delicious. The seats were spacious and the sound system were superb. Shopping at Matahari was quite interesting. If you are looking for fine quality, Batam is not the place. But for $7 a pair of pretty sandals and $15 for a 2pc swimsuit, you cant complain. Tshirts are cheap, i bought 3 for S$12. Gd material and they don go out of shape after wash.

On the 1st level near the food street, Layers sell very good lapis layered cakes and honeycomb ambons. There is a crepe stall selling one of the best crispy crepes i hv ever eaten, the choc & banana is my favourite. Its jus behind the Baskins & Robins ice-cream stall.

We took a taxi to Golden Prawn Restaurant for dinner, though touristy, it served one of freshest live seafood. We ordered a garoupa cooked the steamed teochew way. The crabs wont be missed coz they were way too small, though black pepper style taste great. The cereal prawn were tasty as well. The other dishes were done well too. The only downside was the live singer delivered one of the worst performance;-p

The girls had such a great time together, cant wait for our next party;-)

Room Tip: Non-smoking room on a high floor. We stayed at 710 & 712 which were connecting rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for a night and it was superb. Staff are all friendly and excellent service. Reason i choose this hotel was the location. 5 mins to the Nagoya shopping mall with ample choices of restaurants to choose from. Room service food are affordable as well. Room that i got is very spacious. Upgraded to balcony room because their superior rooms were all full. The bed is very comfy and i slept like a baby after a full body massage and spa at the nearest Spa at nagoya mall. Taxi is 20 mins if you are taking from Batam Centre . Thumbs up to this hotel and the very helpful staff!!

• Stayed April 2013
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 3D2N and my sister and I have no regrets! This hotel is new. Its walking distance to Nagoya Mall and the hotel staff were friendly and helpful. We basically went to the mall to shop, came back to dump all the plastic bags in the room and off we go again to the mall. The breakfast was spectacular!! So much variety, that you'll be spoilt for choice! The only putoff is that the smoking and the non smoking area in the restaurant is just divided by the buffet spread in the middle of the room. Should consider having the smoking area outdoors, not indoors. Well, you can't always everything that you want. Will defintely come back to this hotel again. Hope it will remain the same.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Batam, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

this hotel have a good location, near by Nagoya Hill, shopping center in Batam.
if you stay here, at least you must have trip to nagoya hill, lucky plaza, BCS mall, etc.
the first is Lucky Plaza because this place is very famous as the central of electronic with cheap price. Besides the location, the room is clean and very cozy. Overall, this Hotel is the best.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Went on a short trip with my wife to Batam and this time round, we stayed in iHotel instead of Sijori Resort (which is really a nightmare, but that's another review).

Basically, we will rate iHotel based on these 6 areas:
1. Location
2. Service
3. Price, Facilities & Cleanliness
4. Spa
5. Food
6. Taxi

1. Location (5/5)
iHotel is conveniently located close to Nagoya Hill / Shopping Mall, and what's good about it is that there is a short path from iHotel to the mall without walking along the roadside. For those who don't know this short path, it is just behind iHotel (you will have to walk pass the cinnamon cafe from the outside to the back of the hotel). Or from Nagoya Shopping Mall, you will have to pass by JCO Donut at 2nd Level, and walk towards Delta Spa & Health Club, you will then find a short staircase that will lead you to iHotel (thanks to my wife who discover this route after walking along the road with me for a few times).

2. Service (4/5)
Pretty decent service and Yanti, the lady in reservation, is very patient to my request for reservation changes and did a great job for it. The staffs over the counter answer various of my queries as well, but language wise will have to improve.

3. Price, Facilities & Cleanliness
In my opinion, price is a little too steep. For 1.1million per night for superior room, my expectations will definitely be higher. Main concern, can't connect to WIFI in room, WIFI service is only available at lobby, which is a hassle. Room is pretty decent though, with quite a good size for superior room. Have a spa, swimming pool, gym, restaurant, bar and cafe. Went for free breakfast in the cinnamon restaurant every morning, and spa, but didn't get to try the rest. iHotel cleanliness can definitely be improved. Firstly, towels used are with yellow stains, and smell a bit awful. Not sure if it's the detergent that they use or what. Room wise was alright. Cable TV with wide variety of channels (including channel 5, 8 and U) and all those movies channel to keep you entertain throughout the night. Sound proofing system is quite bad though. We stayed in room 704, which is right in front of the lift, so if people waiting for the lifts talks loudly, we can actually hear it quite clearly, and what comes around, goes around as well. So if you are doing something private, please try to control your volume. The D&D sign doesn't really plays a part here.

4. Spa
Devata Spa, one of the better spa in Batam in my opinion. Better than Isabella definitely (though Isabella offer good service, price and free transport, but cleanliness is atrocious, which we do not consider patronizing again). Devata Spa in another hand, also offer good service and price. Current promo is IDR500,000 for 100mins couple massage, inclusive of 10mins foot bath, 60mins full body massage and 30mins body scrub. Consideration for the room is that the couple room that we have, is right outside the main path (where everybody in the spa will walk pass) so when the therapists walk in and out to take the stuffs, it's kinda "". Can hardly explain the feeling. But overall experience for this spa is still good.

5. Food
Breakfast in Cinnamon Restaurant is ok, there are several items available, from porridge, spaghetti, cereals, to omelette, sausages, chicken, etc. Not expecting a heavy breakfast, so the porridge, omelette and orange juice just works fine for us. Nagoya Shopping Mall in another hand have more variety (of cos, it's a mall). Been to the cafe beside the Cinema at the highest level, and have the ayam pemyat and pempek (one of my wife's favorite food now). Price is reasonable and portion is just nice as well. We also went to Golden Prawn 933 to try their seafood (supposedly famous). Fish was really fresh, while sambal squid taste kinda different but ok, 30% of clam is dead, while the remaining taste good. Overall price is reasonable as well.

6. Taxi
Not recommended to take taxi to Nagoya Shopping Mall as they are charging IDR45,000 for taxi, while it will take you like 5-10mins to reach there by foot. Taking taxi from iHotel to Batam Centre Mega Mall will take around IDR60,000 by taxi meter, or IDR80,000 (fix price), it's obvious which one you will choose. From Batam Centre to Golden Prawn will take around IDR60,000 but we think it can be cheaper, like IDR45,000 - IDR50,000 instead. The driver charge us IDR60,000 from Golden Prawn to iHotel, which is like quite near, and the price should be around IDR45,000 - IDR50,000 as well.

Overall experience in iHotel is still good, compared to our first visit to Batam where we stay in Sijori Resort (still a nightmare now). But if budget is the constrain, you can try Triniti Hotel (one of the nearer hotel to Nagoya that we see, probably around 10-15mins walk). No comments about the hotel though as we have never been there before.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to I Hotel? Share your experiences!