“People seems to love smoking....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Formosa Hotel

You added Formosa Hotel to your Saves list
Formosa Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   City Plaza Nagoya no. A8, Riau Islands Province, Indonesia   |
Ranked #26 of 75 Hotels in Batam
Singapore, Singapore
“People seems to love smoking....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

The rooms are very big with plenty of space for moving around the room, we booked 3 rooms with one smelling of mold and all smelling of smoke.... As the night progresses, the smell of Camille gets worst as I think others smoke in their rooms and the smell gets carried around to all rooms, it's the same situation in Japan hotels that do not ban smoking within their rooms..... The air conditioning can be improved with all rooms feeling like 24 degrees when the thermostat has been turned down to 18, other than that, location is not bad, walking distance to Nagoya Hill Mall and many small little shops to explore in the surrounding areas. However, I do to see myself booking this hotel again, there are others that might provide a better experience at a similar price.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Indonesian first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

It was my birthday few days back, my friends and i happened to celebrate it at batam. We looked through agoda for affordable hotel price a night. We were surprise that a night at Formosa Hotel was 'quite' affordable for us. The family room (350) and breakfast buffet were awesome. We were quite disappointed when i wanted to wash up and use the bathtub but there was no stopper given. Due to dying to soak my body. I called the receptionist for a stopper, they send one of their staff to check on our needs. There we no futher notice after half and hour. So we called again the receptionist. And to our surprised he gave us this reason that "the bathtub is not to be used at this moment because there is a choke". We understand that and after he left and we checked it ourself it was practically fine and there is no choke whatever. My question here do they provide stopper or should we asked for it? And the other thing why must he says there is a choke instead of giving us a stopper where as the bathtub was practically fine. Should i say that Formosa Hotel have bathtub without stopper. What's the point?Please double check that each and every room were given a stopper. If possible, Formosa Hotel shouldn't close the whole window. I believe travellers would want to take a look at the scenery outside from their rooms window, despite whatever room travellers book for.Thank you.

Best Regards
Mimi

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Phuket, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

I only spent an overnight in Batam visiting a friend there. As I was on a budget trip I was very happy to find a great deal on Agoda. Upon check in the receptionist told me that I booked a room with no window ( I was not aware of it) and they think I won't like it so the upgrade me to a higher category. It was a nice gesture however I can't imagine howmy original room would have looked like. The room they gave me was nice, the bed comfortable, a small sofa, LCD TV and bathtub in the bathroom. There is a spa in the hotel where I had a full body massage for 10 usd. The price was good but the therapist seemed to be in a hurry. There is also karaoke facility for those who want to sing. My rate included breakfast which was ok but not much selection for westerners. Check out was a bit slow and they gave priority to the local guests . I was alone and had to wait a while till they assisted me. Free wifi code is provided upon check in. The hotel is in a very good location and just 5 mins walk to a big shopping mall where you can find some franchise food companies and a cine as well. Overall I had a great stay at Formosa. Excellent value for the price I paid and I would definitely recommend to others who are on small budget but still looking for some comfort and luxury.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

We stayed at room 253 & it was a great disappointment due to poor air-con maintenance. Didn't had a good sleep. This is the second time we stayed and encountered the same problem about the air-con. Not only air con but the bathtub is of bad maintenance as we need to request for the stopper to stop the water from flushing through. This is ridiculous... What's the point of providing bathtub but we need to request for stopper? I hope the management takena action on it.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Service: Staffs were prompt, helpful and knowledgeable
Room Cleanliness: Cleaned, nothing to complain
Room Amenities: Well equipped
Breakfast: Nice though simple
Location: Strategic location
Price: Worth for money

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

17 of us checked into 8 rooms on 11 Jan. The rooms are brighter now. The Deluxe room is big ( with 2 super single beds, two couches and a coffee table ).
Breakfast is normal. But I don't like the fried dry mee which they served and the fish cutlets was very dry. I like the cakes which they serve during breakfast esp the nona manis caramel cake and the green pandan cake.
I like the way the staff handle the clients. Early on Sunday I call the front office because the wc was choked. Immediately, a male housekeeping staff and tried to repair it . He can't and radioed back. Another guy came. He cannot undo the choke. He retured a short while later a mop and pushed into the wc hole and managed to solved the problem. Meanwhile receptionist allowed me into another room nearby incase the wc cannot be rectified. Really appreciate the great service by the 3 staff.
Of course the Nusantara Nasi Padang opposite the hotel is a thing not to be missed. One lunch of sotong, rendang, begedil and some veg only cost you Rp 38,000/-
One disadvantage is that there is no swimming pool here. The knee deep floor due to the heavy rain at the roads nearby the market ( behind the hotel ) that sat afternoon was a bad experience.

Room Tip: Walk about 15 mins to Nagoya Hill. Do not take a cab because of the massive traffic jam.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

This hotel has a strategic location which is near to the Nagoya Shopping area (about 5-7mins of walk) and also near to the markets, eateries, pastry shops, computer mall and mini-marts, which is very convenient.

From the exterior of the hotel, it does not look big in size or classy but once you walk into it, its a different world. Very nice and huge and you could spend some time (after getting out of the lift) to locate/walk to your room!

Our room is on the 6th storey. The room is large and spacious. Overall, it is clean and neat except that the room has no window. Therefore you cannot see the scenery or view and also no natural light that can be shined into the room. Also there is some smell of cigarette smoking. Other than these, its ok.

The breakfast buffet in the cafe was satisfactory, with a mixture of local, chinese and japanese dishes.

Service from staff was fine as most of them would smile when you approach them and patient to direct you to the nearby shopping mall.

Our stay was satisfactory and no complaints.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Formosa Hotel? Share your experiences!