“Intimate & personalised service” 5 of 5 stars

Tempat Senang Resort Spa & Restaurant
Patam Lestari | Sekupang, Riau Islands Province 29422, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 75 Hotels in Batam
Singapore
“Intimate & personalised service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

I stayed here with family and friends for a surprise birthday and the place was wonderful. The service was 5* with staff being attentive, food was great (highly recommned the beer can chicken!) and having had the place to ourselves it was intimate, a home away from home. The adults all enjoyed a spa treatment (or 2!) and that was a lovely treat with everyone feeling relaxed and refreshed. For a short group getaway from Singapore this place fits the bill.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

I chose this place because of the exclusivity it provided for the small group of friends and family to celebrate my wife's birthday. The rooms were wonderful furnished in national themes, the service was impeccable and food was great - especially the beer-can chickens which were recommended by Jasmine. Jasmine was also very supportive in helping me plan this as a surprise for my wife, and it was a great success. The resort provides lot of space to relax and unwind, and the on-site spa was great - both the men and women enjoyed it tremendously. The best thing is the privacy it accords, and as a small group, booking the whole resort of six rooms made sense. I would readily recommend it to anyone looking for a place for a group of friends/family to gather.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

If you plan to visit this place, do think again. With the amount spent, Sentosa will be a better choice. When I 1st stepped into the villa, it seems a rather cosy place, very resort feel to it. Checked into room, and everything was fine at 1st.

The disappointment starts with the spa. I guess there's lot of construction going on in Indra Puri (next door), and the spa area happens to be right smack where you can hear the noisy tractors plowing the green, and the heavy duty generators buzzing away. There's much construction going on at Tempat Senang itself, and I can hear a guy climbing a ladder up the spa area to do some work!! My spa therapist has to leave me on 3 separate ocassions to ask the MEN outside not to chat so loudly and to stop their work and keep their volume down. At a point, Jasmine, the manager of Tempat Senang has to intervene and ask them to stop working. Can you imagine. I suppose I leave SG for a relaxed getaway, but I didnt get to destress at all, and worse still, worry abt being embarassed if any workers outside might see my half naked body as the spa place is like an open balcony with see thro curtains and bamboo blinds to keep the sun and whatever at bay.

And did I mention since there's construction going on at Tempat, there's another group of men hanging ard behind the swimming pool? So you guessed, I didnt use the pool.

I stayed at the Thai room, the best of the suites/ rooms at Tempat Senang, cos there's 2 panels of window panes, letting light into the room. There's really nothing to shout abt.. Please do not take any other rooms, as they're deemed to be quite dark, especially the Indian room, cos there's no privacy at all, it's facing the common living room, so you definitely have to close your room curtains. As for the Bali room, it's just next to the reception and office, and the jacuzzi room is definitely not worth paying extra $40 for it... it's really just a jacuzzi without a view.

At night, if you love nature, especially the commando mosquitoes, then you or them, are in for the treat! haha. We had beer can chicken, it's nice.. the alfresco dining is good too, IF NOT for the mosquitoes and the BATS.. yes, bats flying in and out of the dining area... wow, i got 5 mosqi bites, and hubby got 6, so we decided to run back into our room without finishing dinner.

At ard 8am next morning, I hear the tractors AGAIN. damn. The breakfast is just breakfast, nothing fantastic to mention...

However, the service is overall good. The therapists are professional, so are the other staff there.

So in general, not a place for great romance and relaxation. Thumbs down to Tempat Senang.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

The ferry trip proved more complicated than expected when we somehow missed the sekupang stop. It wasn't helped by the lack of announcement. Anyway, Jasmine was very responsive and arranged the driver to pick us up at the next ferry stop, so it turned out fine. After arriving everything was very smooth. The gardens and running water features are superb. We also enjoyed the food, the steamed fish was a highlight, and the beer can chicken was also good (and a decent challenge for 2 ppl to finish it). We stayed in the thai room and found the turkish fish spa was a real bonus. We did the 3D2N package and spent nearly the entire time at the resort (except for using the driving range which only costs a few dollars). The spa treatments were excellent and we left feeling very refreshed, relaxed and rejuvenated. We would definitely recommend this place, the only caution is for those expecting luxury 5 star it might fall short of expectations in some areas (e.g. swimming pool a little small), but it makes up for it with the rustic, homely and relaxed feel. Thanks to Jasmine and all the staff !

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

For a maximum bang for the buck weekend getaway from Singapore I’d recommend Tempat Senang. We visited in June on the 3 day/2 night spa package, staying in the Indonesian Room. As the owner – Jasmine – freely admits, there’s not much to do other than chill out by the pool, have spa treatments or maybe a round of golf at the golf course next door. Batam, on first impressions, is a fairly charmless place. However Tempat Senang is a unique property in a lovely setting landscaped with fishponds on all sides and complete with its own resident parrot.

I couldn’t disagree more with the previous reviewer about the cost. We didn’t hold back on food or drink and our bill came to $1000. See how far this gets you elsewhere - you will spend twice as much in a Bintan resort in the blink of an eyelid! True - in Bintan you are getting the beach, the big resort and all of that, so it’s your choice. The beer butt chicken was a bit of a novelty – tasty and at $40, a bargain and more than enough for two people. Service on the terrace can be a bit slow but it’s more unobtrusive than anything intentional. We found this was easily fixed by knocking on the kitchen door to ask for our gin and tonic!

I will admit that I’m not a big fan of ordering my breakfast a day ahead but the food at Tempat Senang is freshly prepared, hence why you need to pre-order. It’s not the sort of place where they have a breakfast buffet withering away on the side. I think this is actually an advantage as your food is fresh, but as always in this region, the Asian dishes are the pick of the bunch. Highly recommend the satay and the gado gado. American breakfast was a let-down – go for the nasi goring or mee goring instead.

The spa was great – superb value and very relaxing. As someone who normally emerges from a facial with a face like a well-used dartboard I can highly recommend the gentle facials here. I was a bit skeptical about the laser and vacuum parts of the treatment but believe me, your skin will look amazing afterwards! However for my pedicure, the selection of nail polish colours was very limited and it looked like the one I chose was past its best as the therapist had all sorts of trouble taming the gloopy stuff.

Our room was small but fine, with a nice outdoor shower. Some small points for improvement - I couldn’t find a hairdryer and there’s no mirror above the table – essential for doing hair and make-up! The coat hangers in the wardrobe were mostly gnarled up wiry things and the bath towels were a bit small and thin, not quite creating the overall luxury boutique feel. Just before we left we did get to have a sneaky peak in two other rooms which had more ‘wow factor’. I loved the Thai room, which is surrounded by fish ponds outside and has a huge marble bath and its own fish spa on the terrace. The Bali room also looked amazing. It also has a private outdoor terrace and a huge bathroom with a Jacuzzi.

The staff were very helpful throughout and will book the golf and organize a taxi if you want to go out to a local restaurant. Generally we felt we got quite a personalized service from the staff. Bottom line: Batam does not have the overall charm and visual appeal of Bintan, but Tempat Senang is excellent value and we’re already planning a return trip for golf and spa with our friends.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

After reading all the positive reviews of Tempat Senang, I booked a last minute 4 day 'resort experience' at Tempat Senang.
Positives: The locals were very willing to please. The driver was wonderful, the spa girls were pleasant although it was difficult to communicate with them.
The place felt like a boutique resort (if you don't mind dismissing the lack of attention to detail).
Negatives:
On arrival, we had a 5 second welcome before being pushed into choosing our spa routine and food choices for the NEXT 4 DAYS.
I did not appreciate paying Australian/European prices for food that was clearly made by locals in training. They have no competition at TS - the nearest place is the golf course for meals and they know it. We were pressured into ordering food within 5 minutes of arriving (for lunch and dinner) - and fell into the trap (as did every other group we saw) of buying this 'beer can chicken' which was dry and un-appetizing, and cost $40SGD.
My sister also had a horrible reaction - we suspect to the cinnamon scrub alluded by the other reviewer. Not only did the owner not apologise at any stage of our 4 day stay (it happened on day 1), she kept stating it was only the 2nd time ever, and then tried to pressure us into more spa treatments! She did offer to take us to the clinic - which was an improvement on the previous reviewer's experience.
I felt it was resort prices but with poor attention to detail. If you wanted to order food or inform them of your breakfast choices for the next day, you could either stand at the kitchen, and wait for them to find someone who speaks English, or you could knock on the owner's door, where you'll have a bizarre conversation with her staring into her computer and you not invited into the office.
I also had the onerous task of repeatedly telling her 'no, we are leaving on thurs, please write it down', 'no, we are not having spa on thurs, because we are leaving on thurs am', 'no, my sister won't be appropriate to have spa since she has hives', 'no, we are not extending our stay, we never were'....so on and so forth.
4 days turned into $1200+ SGD (and that was watching what we ate )
Now in retrospect, I'd rather have forked out the extra money to have a true resort experience. At a place that CARES.

• Stayed June 2009
jborschberg, Owner at Tempat Senang Resort Spa & Restaurant, responded to this review, June 17, 2010
$1200 for 4 nights and 21 hours of spa treatment. hummm...
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

While on holiday in Singapore my mother and I decided to traval to Batam to enjoy a half-day spa package at Tempat Senang and it was definitely a highlight of our holiday. The ferry ride is just 45min and with the transfers to and from the spa being taken care of by one of their staff members the whole process was very easy and stress-free - we just had to remember to buy an Indonesian visa when you get to the ferry terminal (US$10)!

I had the famous cinnamon scrub, traditional massage and papaya facial - each of which lived up to its delicious description, while my mother had the coffee scrub, hot stone massage and clay facial - and fell asleep in the process because she was so relaxed! The quality of the treatments and the service generally makes the price a real bargain.

The grounds that the spa are situated in are beautiful and the differently themed rooms are tastefully decorated - i'd certainly like to go back for a longer stay to have more treatments and more of the tasty restaurant food!

Congratulations to Jasmine and her staff for creating a truly relaxing spa getaway, I wish them every success for the future!

• Stayed June 2009

Been to Tempat Senang Resort Spa & Restaurant? Share your experiences!